Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WORDS, WORDS, AND MORE WORDS  (Read 27557 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:WORDS, WORDS, AND MORE WORDS
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »

I know one of the questions for the day was to see what we like to collect

Hmmm.... For me it is Irish music and literature...
I also collect soap opera memorabilia, old books espeically literature and history. Dragons... Horses....

Love books on Shakespeare and Arthurian legends...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2006, 08:11:58 PM »

I also want to see that movie also... I hear it is quite good and in some way very respective of the native Americans...

Very respectful and they're played by Native-American actors.  I recommend it very highly.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »

Annette was the artist who sang THE WAYWARD WIND?

She was restless

Oh Dio Mio.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 08:12:59 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2006, 08:14:48 PM »

This cute little guy is flying high on page 7
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2006, 08:15:25 PM »

Very respectful and they're played by Native-American actors.  I recommend it very highly.  

Have you ever seen Smoke Signals?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2006, 08:16:29 PM »

Have you ever seen Smoke Signals?

Never.  But reading Ronald Firbank is like reading a dirty joke told in smoke signals.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2006, 08:20:03 PM »

Never.  But reading Ronald Firbank is like reading a dirty joke told in smoke signals.

Smoke Signals is a movie based on the book by Sherman Alexie. he is Couer d'Alene Indian and it is a fascinating read. Very well done and the cast is entirely Native American.

I also recommend Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog.

Through work I can take one class. I am fascinated by different cultures and I am taking a class on Native Ameriicans of the Plains.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »

Hey there Danise.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2006, 08:27:52 PM »

... am now listening to THE WAYWARD WIND.

Gogi Grant?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »

Evening folks!

Well, I did go and see Wicked today.  My very honest opinion of it was that it was ok but lacked something.

Part of my problem was that I was blowing hot and cold on the performance of Kendra Kassebaum as Glinda.  I’d start to warm up to her and then I would have a problem with something else she did.  

At first, I thought she was having mike problems because she sang so softly.  Then (IMHO) she kept missing music clues and rushed to put all of the words in at once.  Perhaps it was a different arrangement or interpretation of the music but I found it most annoying.  

My overall impression (and I have no idea as to the age of the lady) was that she was too old for the role of Glinda.    

Stephanie J. Block played Elphaba.  While she did a good job of it, I also noticed a lack of “punch” to key words in some of the songs.    

I felt sorry for David Garrison.  When he made his first appearance as the Wizard, one or two people clapped then stopped.  Then a few more clapped.  A few others joined in with a rather uncertain “should we or shouldn’t we at this point” air.  By that time, he had been on stage for way past the normal time it would take to acknowledge someone with thunderous applause.  It would have been kinder, I think, to not clap at all.  I didn’t clap because I didn’t know him.

Still it was a pretty good show.  I don’t know if I would have enjoyed it more by not seeing the Broadway version first.  

I’ve always held the opinion that the road shows we get here in Tampa are just as good if not better then the ones on Broadway. Now I’m not as sure.  

Wicked
was the first Broadway show that I’ve seen in both places and I would have to honestly say that the Tampa show would rank second to the one I saw in NYC.  

That’s one of the reasons I so wanted to see POTO in NY.  It would have been nice to compare the ones I’ve seen.  Although I don’t think anyone could be as bad as the first Phantom I saw.  I still get a chuckle out of that every time I think about it.

I had my usual shock at what some people wore to the theater.  Ratty jeans and t-shirts abounded.  

As soon as the curtain dropped the ones next to me tried to make a bee line for the door.  I was at the end of row and stood quite solidly in their way.  They had to stay for the final bows.  When they passed me I made sure I said in voice loud enough to be heard, “This isn’t a movie.  You don’t run out during the credits.”  I got a nasty look and gave one in return.  

My only other problem was that I wished I had someone with me to watch the show.  I had a nice chat with one of the theater volunteers but it would have been good to have someone I knew to talk to.

Part of what made Patience all the more enjoyable was having you, DR Elmore, there to share it with me.    :)

Ahh, well.

That was my day at the theater.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2006, 08:31:20 PM »

Smoke Signals is a movie based on the book by Sherman Alexie. he is Couer d'Alene Indian and it is a fascinating read. Very well done and the cast is entirely Native American.

I also recommend Lakota Woman by Mary Crow Dog.

Through work I can take one class. I am fascinated by different cultures and I am taking a class on Native Ameriicans of the Plains.  

I thought SMOKE SIGNALS was based on THE LONE RANGER AND TONTO FISTFIGHT IN HEAVEN

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2006, 08:31:25 PM »

To answer that - (on DRs Jane and JRand's behalf) YES.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2006, 08:33:16 PM »

Hey there Danise.

Hey there right back ya, DR Tomovoz!   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2006, 08:34:29 PM »

Gogi was a Philadelphia girl.
I think she moved to L.A .before DtM arrived anywhere!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »

DR Jennifer, the news of the imminent death in SMALLVILLE was also in every newspaper description of the episode that I saw.

Truly, I'm very sorry if I spoiled anything for you, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be possible not to have been aware of that turn of events with all the PR in the network ads for the show as well in media on-line and in print. Astonishing that you could miss all of it for WEEKS before the event.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »

Love this license plate

Danise

« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2006, 08:40:54 PM »

Jane, I agree with you about Bakula... I am also a Star Trek fan... Loved Star Trek: The Next Generation...

Count me in as well.  I loved ST:TNG.  Liked DS9.  Watched Voyger and lost all interest in Enterprise.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »

I spent a very nostalgic evening watching figure skating from decades gone by. Oh, such names of skaters that I had forgotten about came back to me as I watched performances long since past.

And it was sad seeing wonderful skaters like Canada's Brian Pokar who are no longer with us.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2006, 08:42:23 PM »

I thought SMOKE SIGNALS was based on THE LONE RANGER AND TONTO FISTFIGHT IN HEAVEN

it is based on one of the stories. It is a collection of stories.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2006, 08:42:56 PM »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #200 on: January 28, 2006, 08:43:35 PM »

Count me in as well.  I loved ST:TNG.  Liked DS9.  Watched Voyger and lost all interest in Enterprise.

Great!!

Nice to meet you Danise!!

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: January 28, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »

Loved the first two seasons of ENTERPRISE. Hated the third season. Liked about half of the fourth (last) season, but the finale episode has to rank as THE WORST finale in the history of the STAR TREK franchise.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #202 on: January 28, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »

Here isa website for Sherman Alexie

http://www.fallsapart.com/loneranger.html

Danise

« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »

DR Danise, the host said P had done 20 HOURS TOTAL IN THE 5 WEEKS.  20 hours per week would have been good. She said he had done 20 hours total while the others had done 130 hours.

I was really happy too.  But I think the show manipulated the audience into voting him out.  But I don't mind!

I must have misheard what they said --I only caught the 20 part.  No wonder why he did so poorly!  Again, I have nothing against him.  It was nice of him to step in for his son BUT if your going to do something--do it.  

In the words of Yoda, "Do or do not.  There is no try."  And he wasn't even trying.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »

Loved the first two seasons of ENTERPRISE. Hated the third season. Liked about half of the fourth (last) season, but the finale episode has to rank as THE WORST finale in the history of the STAR TREK franchise.

I was not impressed with the final episode of Enterprise. TNG was much better.. I have not seen Voyager.  It was never broadcast up here.

Danise

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2006, 08:50:26 PM »

Great!!

Nice to meet you Danise!!

Nice to meet you as well, DR DakotaCelt!

I'm a SciFi fan from way back.  Went to many a con back in the day.  And I did dress up from time to time--even won a costume contest once.  If I told you what I was wearing at the time you wouldn't believe me.

Sorry folks, it's 11:50 PM and I have to get some sleep.  I stayed up to do my tax return.  I get a refund!  Yay!!!  I just love the fact I don't have PAY!

Have a wonderful evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »

Vibes for Cilliliz!!!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2006, 08:52:34 PM »

Nice to meet you as well, DR DakotaCelt!

I'm a SciFi fan from way back.  Went to many a con back in the day.  And I did dress up from time to time--even won a costume contest once.  If I told you what I was wearing at the time you wouldn't believe me.

Sorry folks, it's 11:50 PM and I have to get some sleep.  I stayed up to do my tax return.  I get a refund!  Yay!!!  I just love the fact I don't have PAY!

Have a wonderful evening all!

I dressed up once as Leela from Doctor Who...

We shall have to chat again. Pleasant dreams.

FJL

« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2006, 08:55:20 PM »

My favorite collectible is a program from the original produciton of ARSENIC AND OLD LACE.   Also the program from the Paul Newman-Joanne Woodward Broadway show BABY WANT A KISS,

My favorite find was finally getting a Last Starfighter movie lunchbox and thermos that were in good condition.  Someone was selling off the thermos in a collection of four thermoses and I had to buy all four to get the one that I wanted, but I enjoyed finally getting one.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2006, 08:57:44 PM »

Love books on Shakespeare and Arthurian legends...

Then you should approve of this recent purchase for the Grandlads:

Medieval Legends

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up