Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WORDS, WORDS, AND MORE WORDS  (Read 27330 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WORDS, WORDS, AND MORE WORDS
« on: January 28, 2006, 01:15:38 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've seen the words, words, and more words, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're doing the Texas Two-Step and can't be bothered right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 12:50:50 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WORDS, WORDS, AND MORE WORDS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:16:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: TRACTION!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 01:16:44 AM »

Welcome eight GUESTS!  We're talkin' about collectables.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:02:37 AM »

Thank you to the DRs who recommended the very amusing "Shaun Of The Dead". (Rodzinski or Jed perhaps!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:05:26 AM »

I doubt if I have ever bought anything because it is collectable or that anything I have bought is now collectable. Just not my thing! About as interesting as the lives of "celebrities" to me.  Horses and all that.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:06:52 AM »

I don't really see the 'traction in owning collectables or ebay for that matter!
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 06:12:16 AM »

The cows are doing the Texas Two-Step?

I told you not to invite the cows in for drinks! (The Far Side)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 06:12:42 AM by JRand55 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 06:14:01 AM »

Traction....remember posi-traction?  Your car had a brain, and if only one of the tires with power had traction and the other was spinning on ice or snow - ALL of the power of the car went to that ONE tire.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 06:15:40 AM »

I thought it was collectIble....but what do I know?

Hmmm...the Courts line up sounded good to me, as well.  I am glad to hear that Mr Kerr and Ms Nuyen were looking so well.  I always thought that France Nuyen was one of the most beautiful women ever to appear in movies....especially in DIAMOND HEAD.

Dean Stockwell qnd Connie Stevens were supposed to be there as well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:20:00 AM »

Hmmm....collecti[a]bles...  Mostly I have photos, lobby cards, and posters that would NOT be of much interest to anyone except me....

But my favorite finds:

3-Sheet poster for COUNT THREE AND PRAY
Photograph of Frances Farmer autographed and sent to me when she was appearing on TV here in Indiana
Lots of Allison photos - and a couple of handwritten cards I received from her.
My most amazing find was a genuine FIRST EDITION of ATLAS SHRUGGED at the Half Price Bookstore in Greenwood, Indiana.  It was priced at $50 and I had a 30% coupon, so I purchased it for $35!  And I was making my purchases that day with a $100 gift certificate I won on a radio trivia contest - so it was really FREE!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:20:45 AM »

Good morning, DRLAURA.....working so early?

DR DtM - "...the end of Ricoh...."   LOL :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »

Good morning, DRLAURA.....working so early?

DR DtM - "...the end of Ricoh...."   LOL :)

Good morning, JRand. Yup. I've got to catch up on all the things I didn't get done because I was wasting my time yesterday.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 06:36:55 AM »

Thank you to the DRs who recommended the very amusing "Shaun Of The Dead". (Rodzinski or Jed perhaps!).

You're welcome!  I like the movie a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 06:45:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm not moving very energetically this morning and I slept quite late. Last night I had a wonderful visit with DR Ben and Anthony, catching up on all the gossip and seeing the photos of their Christmas vacation to Ireland and Cardiff.  They are quite wonderful hosts, and evening passed too quickly.

Today, I have few plans, so perhaps I'll finally tidy up this place and make another pass at getting my income tax receipts in order.  Charlotte wants to see TRISTAN AND ISOLDE tonight, so I need to ascertain where and what its showtimes are.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 06:57:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up... I'm up...  And I'm still not sure what day it is and what coast I'm on...

::)

But again... I'm up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 07:00:21 AM »

As for collectables... or is it collectibles?  In any case...

The only things that come to mind are some of my signed show cards, both from shows I've seen and been a part of.

Oh, I do have some teddy bears, but most of their value is sentimental rather than monetary.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 07:04:11 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - There are some other companies that make Dill Pickle Chips.  I believe Miss Vickie's should be available in SF.  -If they make Dill Pickle one - I like their Jalapeno variety.  In any case...

The Lay's one were/are a Limited Edition, usually released during the summer and fall - cookout time.  Utz - which I'm not sure ships that far west - has a pickle chip year-round.  -Utz is based in Pennsylvania, and they will only ship their products to nearby places in order to insure freshness.  However, that does not preclude someone sending you a few bags from the East (coast).  ;)

*My favorite Utz flavors are their Salt & Pepper and Crab (Old Bay) Chips.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 07:05:03 AM »

Well... I need to get ready for my day... And I also need to check on DR Jason...  I believe he's heading to the National Zoo today.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 07:12:45 AM »

Saturday greetings!  Today would be a work Saturday for me, but I took a vacation day to join my girlfriends for lunch and a tour of the stained glass studio/art gallery where DH Richard bought the painting he gave me for Christmas.

Hope it's as beautiful in Washington, DC, as it is here is SW Ohio, for DR Jason's visit to the National Zoo.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »

I also need to check on DR Jason...  I believe he's heading to the National Zoo today.

Tell him to take his camera!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2006, 07:26:23 AM »

TOD -

1)  A cameo ring that my father's sister had made for me as a high school graduation present.  My grandfather (who I only met once) had given the cameo in a pendant to my grandmother (who died before my parents met) and my aunt had it reset into a ring by a jeweler that's still in business here in Cincinnati.

2)  A souvenir program book from my very first Broadway show, Cabaret, June 22, 1967.  It is signed by 4 of the 5 original cast members:  Joel Grey, Lotte Lenya, Bert Convy, Jack Gilford.  DH Richard and I went to Cincinnati's Music Hall 20 or so years later to see Joel Grey in a touring revival of Cabaret and I took the book along and had him sign it again.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Stephanie

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »

Good morning from a newby!  I hope everyone's day is a great one.

Collectibles - Hmmm... a massive assortment of Star Wars books, figures, etc.  Nothing of extreme value, I don't think, but I do have a pretty cool audio set in a Millenium Falcon box of the first Timothy Zahn trilogy.  

As for the word of the day, my first thought was, it's a good thing Bruce's daughter and her friend knew what they were doing with his back, or he could've ended up in traction for a month!   :o

Bruce, I'm heading down that way to bring my sister and my best friend to see Deceit tonight, so hopefully I'll get to say hello to you!  Plus, I've been given the assignment of bringing Matt his birthday wishes and finding out whether he liked his delivery yesterday.  

Stephanie

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2006, 07:39:21 AM »

Well, my favourite collectibles, of course, are my books...which are going up on the shelves quite nicely.  But even once I get the bookcases built in my office, I doubt I'll have enough space...and not much room to expand.  Which is probably good.  It is probably God's way of telling me I have too many books, which is probably true.  As they come out of boxes, I am being ruthless and considering, "Now why did I buy this and will I ever get around to reading it?"  I went a bit wild in the mid-nineties and I think I bought some stuff just on a binge that I don't really need.  I can cull without missing some of this stuff at all.  I've come to the decision that the book space I now have is the space I have and everything must fit or be gotten rid of.

However, there is the other side of me that says: "I never regret a book I bought; only a book I didn't buy."

I put my theatre books out last night and was amazed at how much I had, frankly.  It covers half a wall.  Of course, the 26-inch Television and its attended machines (cable box, vcr/dvd player/recorder) does take up some of that space, but I kept opening boxes last night, going:"Oh, no, another theatre box.  I thought I had them all."

Some notable gems from the collection are:

First edition Tarzan of the Apes.

Tarzan at the Earth's Core signed by Johnny "Tarzan" Weissmuller.  A librarian I knew gave me this book from her childhood collection, just because she knew I collected them.

A twice-signed Rider Haggard novel, inscribed to John Hays Hammond, who was some American notable.

A letter written and signed by Haggard sending regrets to a magazine editor, telling him that he is too swamped to write anything for him.  The story he mentions that he has currently being serialized is "SHE", though he doesn't mention it by name.  She is my favourite novel.

I have several signed novels and one letter tipped into a novel by P.C. Wren, the author of Beau Geste.

A couple of signed novels by Rafael Sabatini.

Many personally inscribed novels to me from Harlan Ellison.

Outside of books, I have two complete jigsaw puzzles of KING KONG from its original release that were my father's and he gave me.  They are still in their original paper envelopes.

I have some wonderful movie posters, notably: Gunga Din (about seven foot by three foot wide) and The Scarlet Claw (81" x 80").

I have original theatre programmes for John Barrymore's Hamlet; a 1800's stage production of SHE; the ill-fated stage production of BEAU GESTE that starred Laurence Olivier (and a young Jack Hawkins); The programme for the first production of the National Theatre when it began in the Old Vic -- HAMLET, starring Peter O'Toole and directed by Laurence Olivier.

But probably the best find I ever had was shortly before I moved.  I was walking Tewkes around the neighbourhood one night.  The dog stopped to hoist his leg on something in a desolate spot right off the road; I stopped him because it wasn't a
bush.  It was an original Tiffany Lamp with its shade.  I took it home...no easy task juggling a dog on a leash as the shade was delicate and the lamp base very heavy.  But I got it back in one piece.  Except for a few tiny spots on the lamp shade where the metal mesh trim is poppping up, it was in immaculate condition and it works.  It must be worth thousands of dollars.

The curious thing is why it was left by the side of the road in our neighbourhood.  I kept thinking did someone have a fight with their spouse and dump the thing out of spite?  Was some thief  on the run and stashing the loot?  I looked for signs in the neighbourhood to see if anyone had lost it.  But nothing.  The best kind of find.  Absolutely free!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2006, 07:40:37 AM »

TOD:  
I collect: orchestra, opera, ballet, operetta and musical theatre scores
             musical theatre books, libretti, histories, bios
             souvenir programs, occasional playbills

Because of the BABES IN TOYLAND project, I've been collecting ephemera on the original production; photos never turn up, but I have a beautful program from the original production at the Majestic Theatre in New York at Columbus Circle which I will give to the NYPL Theatre Collection since all their original programs have turned to dust.  I also have three programs from the Chicago Grand Opera House, where the show began in 1903; two programs are from the original summer run of 1903 and one from the September 1904 return tour.  I've also got programs for BABES from the St Louis Muny, a disco production by the Weisslers, a California rewrite by Toby Bluth, a 1929 Broadway revival, a few other places, and I'm still collecting.  Through eBay, I've managed to find all three editions of the early vocal scores for BABES, a few 1903-1904 newspaper clippings, and a great Jan-June 1905 theatre scrapbook of New York entertainment covering opera, theatre, vaudeville, etc. with great clippngs and photos.

I also look out for other memorabilia on Victor Herbert, Jerome Kern, and actors and staff for all the shows the project I'm on is researching.            
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 07:45:33 AM by elmore3003 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 07:51:09 AM »

Good copy vibes to DR LAURA....

Yes we need pictures from DR JASON.

Nice lamp story DR CP!

Hello, DRSTEPHANIE.  Enjoy the show tonight!

Danise

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 07:59:34 AM »

Good morning all!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Today I go to see Wicked at the TBPAC.  I’ll have a report when I return.

I forgot that today is also the day of the big Gasparillia Parade. That’s when the pirates invade Tampa.  I hope I’m not going to have to hard of a time with parking.  

Collectibles?  I used to collect the Bryer horse figures because (like most teenage girls), I was horse crazy.  I played with them like dolls.  My horses all had names and families, etc.

I’ve been meaning to tell you all that I broke down and brought some of the Campbells Select Gold Label soups.  The Mushroom, Butternut Squash and the Italian Tomato with Basil & Garlic.  How were they?  Well, in a word:  Y U C K!!!!   :-X

Both Mom and I would much rather have the regular old soup in a can variety.  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]SPOILER ALERT:     Dancing with the Stars[/move]

I’m so glad that P is finely gone.  The final nail in the coffin was when they said he was only putting in 20 hours a week when the other were doing over 60.  I don’t think he really wanted to do the show and it was relief both to him and his partner be finely be off the hook.

I also think that George will be the next to go.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 08:08:13 AM »

Could someone with MSN and AOL experience explain somethin' to a dunderhead like moi, please?  I have already figured out that everything on MSN is web-based, so if I go to Mail, it doesn't open in a little window like on AOL, and that I then need to hit the back button to get back to where I was, etc.. as opposed to AOL, where one can simply close the mail window.

However, both AOL and MSN have the little "URL menu window" at top.  On AOL, it saves everyplace you've been.  For some reason, sometimes on MSN where I've been is in the history, at other times, not.  For instance, in perusing yesterday's HHW's posts, it kept defaulting to page 6, even though I had repeatedly looked at page 8.  Now it's no biggie, especially with our handy-dandy new DSL, but the "logic" behind this is eluding me.  Shouldn't it show every URL I've visited?

TOD:  well of course, despite Wikipedia's "experts"' arguments to the contrary, I have what is generally regarded as the largest Farmer Archive on the planet, and probably the coolest thing I have is Frances' 1935 passport to the Soviet Union and other environs.  She used it to go several other places that have never been generally reported up through the 1940s.  Evidently when she was committed, her agent, upon legal advice, ripped the thing to prevent it being used again, but it's still in amazingly good shape, with one of the most intense photos of a young Frances Farmer you've ever seen.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 08:08:35 AM »

DR Danise, it's good to see you!  I've missed your presence in the past weeks.  Everything okay?

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 08:12:18 AM »

Hi, Danise!  You've been missed here at this here site.  Enjoy Wicked - we'll be seeing the same tour when it comes to Cincinnati in March.

Danise

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 08:12:24 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.  I missed you all too!  

Everything is fine.  I've just been a bit busy of late.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up