Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 33563 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2005, 06:28:40 PM »

we decided recently that we needed to do something special to celebrate the 75th birthday of our mother.

For various reasons, including the fact that one of her dear friends from Brooklyn moved out there, we are taking her to Vegas for a long weekend in October.  

Be sure to take Mom to see Forever Plaid at the Gold Coast. It's swell.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #211 on: August 09, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »

Any Broadway ballad??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2005, 06:30:35 PM »

OK, here goes.  I think I've cropped this photo so it won't send us into widescreen:

That's a swell car!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2005, 06:36:07 PM »

Charlie showed up today -- complained a lot, worked a little, left trash all over, turned on the AC in every room he worked in and left it running, then left early without finishing. He promises to be back tomorrow.

AT&T never showed up to install the phones as promised. I waited from 6 am to 6 pm.

An inspector came by and informed me that he passed the gas. The gas inspection, that is.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 06:36:43 PM by DearReaderLaura »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #214 on: August 09, 2005, 07:21:56 PM »

I spy a new Dear Reader!! Jump on in, RusticM. Glad you're here!

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: August 09, 2005, 07:22:21 PM »

Have you been hanging out with Ozderek and Tomovoz?
Sounds more like Paul Hogan.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2005, 07:24:50 PM »

(Adjusting his blindfold)

Mystery Guest, do you work in the fashion industry?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »

I've been "down under", of course!

:D

Just what sort of site is this DR Ron?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2005, 07:32:38 PM »

I read several reviews saying that "this Harry Potter just isn't the page turner the others were"

The Vixter and I, on the other hand, agree with you... we couldn't put it down.   One reviewer said the first ten chapters could have been completely done away with... I found the early stuff some of the most intriguing items in the book...

I agree.  I felt the entire opening chapters had a different feel than the previous books.

I'm shocked anyone would think you are 62 :o

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2005, 07:33:42 PM »

Yes, but I would say meaner things off the site.

Like they say:  If you don't have anything nice to say, come over here and sit by me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2005, 07:33:59 PM »

I found it quite interesting as well... I have developed a theory about Snape.. and now I'll have to wait another year or so to see if I'm right!

Me too.  I will email you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2005, 07:36:51 PM »

Welcome RusticM.  Tell us about yourself.  We're a merry troupe, you know.

I must say, the packaging for Stages/Together Again looks excellent.  Lots of photos and the whole layout is terrific.  Doug has done a great job with the Stages logo - I hated the way it looked on the LP, and, while the logo is the same, its presentation and feel is completely different and much more pleasing.

Tomovoz

« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »

The Trotter Trio play "She Loves Me' sounds good to me. "The Fantasticks" worked well. I too play the Sondheim ones quite often.
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »

Trotter plays some Andrew Lloyd Webber would be nice

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »

Charlie showed up today -- complained a lot, worked a little, left trash all over, turned on the AC in every room he worked in and left it running, then left early without finishing. He promises to be back tomorrow.

Goodbye, Charlie
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2005, 07:45:23 PM »

Vixmom I remember summers on the east coast without air conditioning.  It must be nice to work in an office and have a break from the heat.

I liked turning 40.  Each year following has been less thrilling. :-\

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2005, 07:49:06 PM »

Frightening thought Matthew - lol. May as well have Trotter plays Puccini et al and get it right.

(BTW I am going to see "Sunset Boulevard" on Friday week. I'm hoping the non top heavy version works better. I still don't think the show can ever really work without "Close ups". I'm hoping for great performances by Judi Conneli and David Campbell. (I've seen Buckley and also Hugh Jackman in different productions.) Jackman was a wonderful Norma (or was that Peter Allen?)
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #227 on: August 09, 2005, 07:55:46 PM »

Ron it might be fun to read the Potter books from the beginning.  If you find it repetitious then just skip to where the movies left off.  Just don’t read them out of sequence.

TCB your reactions to BOYS IN THE BAND and THAT CERTAIN SUMMER doesn't surprise me at all.  Too bad you didn't see the movies in the reverse order.

Michael

« Reply #228 on: August 09, 2005, 07:56:29 PM »

Apparently, Donna has not been reading this site, or she would know that all those things were mentioned, and that I, in fact, put together Mr. Spirtas' show and directed it.  So, she will be getting both of us in Feb.

Now, opinions needed section:

In Japan, they do these wonderfully cool things called mini LP packaging.  They are slightly bigger than jewel case packages (instead of 4x4 they are basically 5 1/4 x 5 1/4).  These releases look exactly like what their name implies - miniature LP albums.  I really love them, and I'm thinking of trying to bring this style of packaging to Kritzerland.  I think if I were to do this, we would, as always, see a host of other specialty labels suddenly imitating us as if they'd thought of it themselves.  For cast albums, for example, we would do a gatefold mini LP - just like the cast albums of Subways, or  Sound of Music or Hello, Dolly! on LP.  The interior two pages of the gatefold would have lots of photos.  The back of the jacket would have track listing and maybe credits.  Then, inside the sleeve would be a single double-sided page which fold open and is, in essence, eight panels of text, even though it's just like a folded piece of paper, so in essence you'd get eight pages of text.

What do you all think of this idea?

I visited our pressing plant today and showed them the packaging and our gal there was completely blown away by it and will be talking to her printers tomorrow to see how much they think it will cost them to do it.  If it's the same price (she actually thinks it may be LESS expensive, but we shall see) or even a few pennies more, I may just try to do it.  But, I'd like some opinions.  They'd be much easier to ship, no broken jewel cases or hubs ever, and I could conceivably lower the shipping costs by seventy-five cents.

I think it is a fab idea and you should go for it!!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #229 on: August 09, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »

Rodzinski I hope your ears clear up.  In the future I suggest you take a mild decongestant before flying and use nose drops to keep everything clear.

Donna how nice to see you. :)

Ginny-nice car. :)

Cillaliz, good news on the Callie and good tooth vibes to Nilla.

Michael

« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2005, 08:02:14 PM »

If anyone who has and knows the Trotter albums would like to make suggestions, we're listening.

All instrumentals or will there be a vocal or too thrown in?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2005, 08:02:47 PM »

BK, I like the idea of the 5 by 5 covers, too.  Once the entire recording industry follows your lead, it will lead to better cover art.

One thing, though--is there enough of a spine to print the CD title on so that it can be discerned when stored on a shelf?
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2005, 08:03:44 PM »

Bite your tongue.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2005, 08:10:19 PM »

I appreciate these reminders... I keep forgetting and then remembering around 11 that I missed it.

Glad they're helpful. They help me, too, as I've forgotten about the show a couple of times since it moved to Tuesday night.

I'll watch the show off the DVR tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2005, 08:15:28 PM »

I DID miss MattH who was in town here. I would have given you PLAYBILLS in advance of your shows. Wouldn't that be fun to walk into the theatre and be asked, "Playbill?" and casually say, "Nope. I already have one." Sounded like you enjoyed SCOUNDRELS as I did.

Yes, sorry I missed you, but them are the breaks. Maybe next year?

Any spare Playbills of any OTHER shows you have lying around I would greatly appreciate. I do collect them.

Michael

« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2005, 08:16:18 PM »

Somehow I think Springtime For Hitler wouldn't work.

I am sure some of the material from Hairspray will work.

Always Look On the Bright Side of Life from Spamalot

Sweet Charity and Fiddler on the Roof has been done in the past but probably both shows will be gone by the time the cd comes out

Sunday from Sunday in the Park With George.

However I would love to hear the following overtures done in the Trotter style. I think these are three of the best.

Gypsy, Funny Girl and Merrily We Roll Along

The Wiz and A Chorus Line are both coming back to Broadway and they both could use a more complete recording of the score.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2005, 08:16:33 PM »

One of my 5 x 5 Cds.  The spines can still be read. The "Album" opens out like an old gatefold.

I think it's a great idea.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:17:16 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2005, 08:19:04 PM »

DR Jason mentioned Gregory Jbara - While boarding the subway a few weeks ago at Columbus Circle, Gregory was getting on the train with his son - very adorable.  He had apparently just come from one of the Broadway Softball League games since he was in his uniform.

Man, did he look good in that uniform!

:P

He looked very good on the stage of the Imperial Theater on Saturday night as well!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2005, 08:28:04 PM »

Watched AFTER THE THIN MAN tonight. It seemed grainier in the close-ups than ANOTHER THIN MAN, and there also seemed to be more problems with the print, more dark scratches in several places than in the third film.

However, the contrast and sharpness are still better than any previous video incarnation I've seen, so I'm still glad to have it.

Someone should have done a commentary on this one. So many famous folks in the cast besides the two stars: Jimmy Stewart, Sam Levene, Jessie Ralph, Elissa Landi, George Zucco, Joseph Calleia, Penny Singleton (before she changed her name). There had to be some interesting backstage stuff to report.

FJL

« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2005, 08:28:09 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) - Is that anything like one of my favorite sayings:  I never repeat nasty gossip - so listen carefully the first time.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up