Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 32826 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
YE OLDE NOTES
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:02:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've ruminated on the notes, the notes have ruminated on you, and now it is time for you to post until Ye Olde Cows Come Home.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:03:43 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 12:04:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYPERBOLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:33:02 AM »

I feel we are having a severe case of WUSSBURGERITIS at this time.

We now return you to Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 12:47:33 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to LC, whomever they may be.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 03:01:00 AM »

Wish upon a star that …
The Space Shuttle DISCOVERY will back home safe and sound as soon as possible.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 03:03:29 AM »

I am a Goddess. :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 03:09:43 AM »

DR SWW mentioned yesterday;
And, dear DR Hisaka, we both love your addition of DLD to our vocabulary!  

Glad you like it, DR SWW and DerBrucer.  You know, VOCABULARY is one of the hardest words for me to pronounce correctly, same as FEBRUARY. :-\

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 03:45:11 AM »

Happy Birthday Leslie.
(Last seen lurking about Oscar time I think).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:45:59 AM »

Congratulations, DR Hisaka!  And a beautiful one you are.  Also, kudos to DR FJL; I see you're moving quite quickly through the pantheon as well.

Well, I'm on the last band part of THE GOLDEN APPLE, which I will turn in this morning to Tams-Witmark; my neuroses are now clicking in that at the first band rehearsal, Jonathan Tunick will begin the prelude and we will have two-four hours of horrendous errors I missed.  I guess it's the equivalent to the actor's nightmare.

So, I've a houseguest this week:  DRJoey from Indiana has arrived safely, and he's discovering the horrors of having three keys to enter an apartment, how unlike sitcoms real New York apartments are, and that I'm unbalanced, since I'm not rich enough to be considered eccentric.

Have a good day!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 03:50:01 AM »

My love for musical theatre started with the first one I saw - Kismet.

A local production of "Company" led me to want to know more about the works of Mr Sondheim.  A good road to travel

Books:  James Baldwin's "Another Country", "The Fire Next Time" and  "Giovanni's Room" certainly helped me broaden my taste in literature.

The books from School that I found were not a chore to read were "Cry The Beloved Country" and "Great Expectations".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 03:51:15 AM »

Great news about your Apple Mr Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 03:56:24 AM »

Good morning, Gentlemen.  I see a TomovOz and an Elmore.   :)

I just heard that the shuttle won’t be coming down here in Florida—It’s going to be Edwards AFB.  It doesn’t matter where it comes down just as long as they all come down safe and sound.

No bus to catch today.  I have to drive in because I have a Doctor appointment but I still have to leave now to make it on time.  

Have a great day all.   :) :D :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 03:57:04 AM »

Good morning DRs Danise and Ben.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 03:57:44 AM »

A very quick Congrats to DR Hisaka on her Godhood!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 04:01:59 AM »

DR Danise.  Please empty your Messages box.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »

Good Morning to all my morning friends!

I had to read the notes from last evening which kept me in a different part of the board until now.

I'm listening to David Jacobs on BBC 2 right now as I finish my oatmeal, raisins and banana. Then I needs must begin work.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 04:13:08 AM »

And what is that Cast Recording Kritzerland will be releasing?
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2005, 05:15:26 AM »

Just watched (on TV) the beautiful landing of Shuttle Discovery.  They said they're glad to be home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2005, 05:35:12 AM »

Big Brother live feed talk:

Hey guys who watch the live feeds.  I need some help. I am so confused!

From the canoe site what i got is that april/jen were reconsidering their decision to vote out ivette (they decided they would tell janelle/howie/rachel they were not serious).

Then the entire FRIENDSHIP met, and Ivette and april made up.  So now april/jen are voting out sarah.

BUT from what DR Ron posted last night, did jen go to maggie BEFORE that and tell her about the plan to evict ivette?  And now are april/jen really going to go back on their word?

I think Big Brother was definitely trying to stop this since they kept calling jen/april to the diary room to stop their talking with maggie/ivette!

I think instead they should have changed the vote to yesterday. I had a bad feeling that april/jen would change their minds.  I still don't understand what their motivation was for agreeing to oust ivette over sarah.  But their big mistake was telling the outcasts they would do so.  Because now that they have gone back on their word, I think they will be nominated next week!

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2005, 05:55:56 AM »

Some of us ALWAYS knew that.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2005, 05:58:42 AM »

Plays and movies that changed my life -  Some pop to mind.

Seeing FOUR ON A GARDEN, starring Carol Channing and Sid Caesar (also in the cast, it turns out, a young Tommy Lee Jones - maybe that should be in a trivia question somewhere).  I had seen HELLO DOLLY starring Merman months earlier, been hooked on the power of live theater, had to be convinced that there was no Merman recording of DOLLY, so I "settled" for the Channing recording, which I played over and over.  My dad and I were out doing something I can't remember (I was ten) and he said I heard Carol Channing is in a new show, why don't we try to get tickets?  Being a tiny bit of a bargain-hunter, Dad noticed several people outside the theater trying to get rid of tickets, and one of them had eighth row center, which he grabbed.  But the point was not the play itself, a multi-part sex farce that I was too young to fully understand, but that my Dad had given his stamp of approval to my newly discovered love of theater, and started taking opportunities for the whole family to make such outings as often as possible.

Seeing THREEPENNY OPERA and HAPPY END in one season (1976-77) and being so excited by the possibilties of that kind of storytelling made me decide that I had to at least try to be creative someday.  

Seeing BREAKING AWAY at 19 and just sitting in the movie theater, not leaving, watching it three times - I was about to enter a combined senior year/graduate study year in college, having been scared to go away and be out on my own for regular college.  I left that movie having decided that I needed to get out of my parents' house for law school.  That may not have been the intended message of the movie, but I somehow focused on the growth possibilities of getting out of one's parents' house for a while.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 06:28:15 AM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2005, 06:24:23 AM »

RE this week's trivia contest, I never would have known where to even start without the extra clue in this weekend's discussion.  I was sure the clue (something like think really big hit movie based on a really big hit musical) was a giveaway, at least for the main answer - I wonder if a lot of people figured out it was GREASE, but just didn't get the details.  The only other ones I could think of that fit that extra clue were SOUND OF MUSIC and (as a stretch) KING & I or FIDDLER.

Mildly intersting HHW trivia: Once again, as with the Columbo trivia week, Robert Armin's name came up on google as I followed a wrong path in googling for the trivia contest, trying to find out who was on the original GREASE tour, only it was an interview Robert did with Debbie (?) Gibson about the tour of the revival.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 06:29:02 AM »

Good Morning.  I must endeavor to catch up.  Its a busy time in the land of real estate hence my E & T behavior.  We have no airconditioning at home and it is unbearably hit and humid this past week so we have been either floating in the pool or hanging out in the gazebo or going to air conditioned places.

Friday evening the Vixter and I went to the James Street Players in Babylon  to see  thier production of West Side Story.  The cast was all  15 - 19 year olds (except Anybodys who was 12 and the three adult characters, Krupke, Doc & the Detective) and the orchestra and the conductor were all high school and college kids so I wasn't expecting much but it is an airconditiolned vednue and the Vixter desperately wanted to see it...but oh my what a show!!

The singing the dancing the orchestra, the acting.... it was all wonderful.  

The girl who played Maria, Kerriann Otano,a 19 year old from Riverhead, has been awarded a full scholarship to study opera in Italy and oh my what a wonderful voice.  She is going to be a star someday.

The Puerto Rican acccents were very well done and the Officer Krupke number absolutely brought down the house.... all together an evening well spent.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 06:29:33 AM »

Good Morning!

Another good(?) night of sleep.  Hmm...  In any case...

Shows...
The first professional productions I remember my Mom taking me to was a touring production of The King & I somewhere in Connecticut, and then Fiddler On the Roof at the Warner Theatre in DC - it was with Topol, maybe... one of the "standard" Tevye's.

However, the show that truly got me hooked was a dinner theatre production of Sweeney Todd at Toby's Dinner Theatre in Columbia, MD.  Very well done, very inventive.

But it was seeing Sunday in the Park with George that made me see that it was worth the risk, all the "risk", to pursue a career in the arts, in music, in theatre - or a combination thereof.  And then seeing that show at during the Sondheim Celebration a few years ago, when soooo much was going on in my life at that time, just brought it all full circle.  -I had never cried during "Finishing the Hat" before, but I was bawling that night.

As for movies...
"Like Water for Chocolate" and "Cinema Paradiso" - which happen to share a leading man, Marco Leonardi.  Just beautiful stories about love and the power of love - and art (cooking and movies) - that came into my life at the right time.  And although some people think the director's three-hour cut of 'Cinema Paradiso' didn't really help the movie, that extra hour really completed that world for me.

And as for books...
"The Bridge to Terabithia" by Katharine Paterson (sp?).  A haunting read - especially for "young adult" fiction.  And "Catcher in the Rye".
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2005, 06:30:09 AM »

Welcome to New York DR Joey!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2005, 06:30:34 AM »

Welcome to New York City, DR Joey!!!

Be sure to watch over DR elmore for us.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 06:31:14 AM »

And now I'm off to rehearsal...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2005, 06:40:11 AM »

DR Jose - My DS Rob is a beginning driver (a late-bloomer in that department, just like his mom) and got a lot of laughs out of the CA driver's license app that you posted last night.

DRs elmore and Joey - have fun this week.  Is there a gathering planned?

DR Hisaka - welcome to goddess-ness!

Gotta go pick up my Vibe  8)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2005, 06:47:40 AM »

Happy Vibe driving DR Ginny!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 07:13:08 AM »

...the show that truly got me hooked was a dinner theatre production of Sweeney Todd at Toby's Dinner Theatre in Columbia, MD.  Very well done, very inventive....
And what, pray tell, was on the menu at this dinner theater?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up