Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG  (Read 39349 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: MERRILL-LY WE ROLL ALONG
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

Page five!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »

I did not get my book. Bummer.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »

hello, goodbye.   Wish this cough would do the same.  Haven't read the notes, so I don't know what the TOD is.  Maybe later.

You say goodbye, and I say hello.  Hello, hello!

GOODBYE VIBES TO YOUR COUGH!!

Jane

« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

Well, dammit! We lost Julian Ovenden, so I'm back to the Brit juvenile search. I've got them checking out the schedule of Hadley Fraser, the Raoul on the Royal Albert Hall PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with Sierra Boggess, but I need to have a couple of other possibilities up my proverbial sleeve in case. I'm checking out youtube clips for Will Barratt, Killian donnelly, and Simon Bailey,

I'm sorry & good luck finding someone you are just as happy with!!!

Jane

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »

Well, it's official.  Our library's director has been let go...with cause. ::)

We can now move forward to find a replacement.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

REPLACEMENT VIBES!!

Jane

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

I almost had a big cooking disaster.  This morning I was making a pasta salad for tonight. When i cooked the pasta, right after i took it out, i put it under freezing cold water, thinking that then i could just mix it with the rest of the ingredients right away.

Well i had tasted the pasta hot and it tasted fine. But after i mixed it with the other ingredients, the past was hard and uncooked. And it was already mixed with oil and vinegar and everything.

I don't know what happened. MAybe it was a bit undercooked when i first tested it hot. Maybe the cold water did something to it.

Anyhow I ended up separating the pasta from the other ingredients (it was still lightly coated with oil, vinegar.... and i put it in a wok. ANd just kept stirring it (i added a bit extra olive oil to the pan).  I think it cooked it the rest of the way through. So i am pretty sure it is alright.

Has anybody else had this happen to them before? Is it a big no-no to put the pasta under the freezing cold water right away? Was it bad to mix it right away? I know last time i made pasta salad i let the pasta cool before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.

I've never heard of putting pasta under "freezing" cold water.  I've always just read to put it under cool or cold, but not freezing.  Maybe that just re-hardened it because it was so cold.

Just a guess.

I never, Never, NEVER rinse pasta in water.   I haven't even seen the recommendation on a pasta box in decades!

Sometimes I still read to rinse it in cold water (can't say if I read that on the package)  but never ice water.  I have read to toss it in oil while it is warm.

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

TCB, you knew a silent film actress?

No, Mikey, just kidding.

Well, DR Elmore kept telling me you were old enough to have known....I mean, never mind.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:35 PM »

Topic of the Day:

I don't drink, but once in a while, my friend Margo and I go to a place called The Rock Wood Fired Pizza when we see movies at the Lacey Regal Cinemas.  They have a drink called The Bucket ("The Rock’s original blend of 5 premium Rums served in a freakin’ bucket!") that Margo loves...and you get to take the little plastic bucket home with you! 

One day, we were having dinner before a movie and they had a new drink, a Lava Lamp ("A liquor medley of Vodka, White Rum, Triple Sec, Melon Liquer & Blue Curacao, mixed with Sprite and Rockstar energy drink, add our famous orange Jell-o shooter as lava and you’ll be flashin’ back to the 70′s")...it was served in a plastic Lava Lamp-shaped cup that lit up and flashed lights and you got to keep that cup!  For some reason, I decided to try it...probably because you got to keep the cup.  Anyway, it was pretty good.  I didn't even get a buzz on it but at $9.99, I haven't had another one, but I really liked the presentation of it. :D

It looks like a fun place to go to.

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

I am happy to report that SPACE CHILDREN (1958) will be arriving on DVD and Blue-ray on June 19th.

And yours truly will be reviewing it.

Be kind.

By the way, a few years back I interviewed the leading actress from this film, Peggy Webber. She did, and still does, a lot of work in radio.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

Who, here, remembers the hit single by Andy Williams' former wife Claudine Longet:

Hello Hello

I like your smile

Hello, Hello

Shall We Talk A While?

Would you like some of my tangerine?

You know I'll never treat you mean..oh, no

You know I'll never treat you mean.

Yup.  I remember this.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »

Well, it's official.  Our library's director has been let go...with cause. ::)

We can now move forward to find a replacement.  Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

REPLACEMENT VIBES!!

Thanks, Jane!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16:29 PM »

I wonder if my book will arrive today. Of course I ordered a couple of CDs as well, so maybe not.

Of course even if it does arrive it will be trapped in the mail room of my apartment complex until I can retrieve it when the manager is on duty. Although, sometimes she will take my packages and leave them at my door if they start to pile up in the mail room.

George

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

Topic of the Day:

I don't drink, but once in a while, my friend Margo and I go to a place called The Rock Wood Fired Pizza when we see movies at the Lacey Regal Cinemas.  They have a drink called The Bucket ("The Rock’s original blend of 5 premium Rums served in a freakin’ bucket!") that Margo loves...and you get to take the little plastic bucket home with you! 

One day, we were having dinner before a movie and they had a new drink, a Lava Lamp ("A liquor medley of Vodka, White Rum, Triple Sec, Melon Liquer & Blue Curacao, mixed with Sprite and Rockstar energy drink, add our famous orange Jell-o shooter as lava and you’ll be flashin’ back to the 70′s")...it was served in a plastic Lava Lamp-shaped cup that lit up and flashed lights and you got to keep that cup!  For some reason, I decided to try it...probably because you got to keep the cup.  Anyway, it was pretty good.  I didn't even get a buzz on it but at $9.99, I haven't had another one, but I really liked the presentation of it. :D

It looks like a fun place to go to.

It was very crowded and very loud...but the food wasn't bad.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:16 PM »

TOD:

Ouzo
A personal favorite. My sister hauls out the bottle at about 10 each morning for a little way to greet the rest of the day. A most civilized habit.

Do we have the same sister?

DR TCB I took a double take on who had posted the original comment.

George

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »

Well, I must now leave.  I'm off to the theater to see a silent "Peter Pan" and hear some live organ music (and that's not a euphemism)!

Be back later!

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

By the way, I hadn't mentioned it here but I am happy to report that I interviewed my first Bollywood film director recently. Sunny Bhambhani, whose first film LOVE EXPRESS released in India last year and is now available on DVD from Amazon.com.

It is a very sweet, funny romantic comedy which I highly recommend.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

And even though I purchased the Kindle version of the book, and the actual book should be here very soon; I decided to wait until the surgery is over to read it.  Too much tension, too many mood swings right now.

I agree.  Some books you just don't want to be distracted when you read them.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »

Well, I must now leave.  I'm off to the theater to see a silent "Peter Pan" and hear some live organ music (and that's not a euphemism)!

Be back later!

That should be fun! I haven't been to see any of the silent films here in quite some time. They draw a pretty good crowd, surprisingly enough!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »

Thank you DR ELMORE, DR GEORGE, and DR TCB.

It rambles a bit.....but it contains no spoilers and only a hint of what the book contains....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »

There was a "reunion" of the Space Children in one of the Horror Film publications last year....most interesting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »

Something I like better than a silent film - is a silent audience.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:28 PM »

Started reading the book and couldn't put it down.  However, it must wait until later.... love it so far (and the special gift!)

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »

Hmm, am I ever glad I won my movie pass last year.  I had no restrictions on what movies I went to and often went on opening day.  Since it's still good until the end of April I was checking to see what movies are playing.  Now they restrict all the new movies and say no passes.  I do have a $20 gift certificate, but I plan to use that on consessions.   

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2012, 04:58:15 PM »

I've been thinking about watching Titanic again.  I don't really like 3D so not sure I'll see it in the theater, but I do want to watch it soon

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »

So today I changed a federal district court hearing so I could play my flute in band at a memorial service.  I never would have dreamed that I would do that, but  I did

Jane

« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »

LOL, except for the memorial part, DR Cilla. 

John G.

« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »

By the way, I hadn't mentioned it here but I am happy to report that I interviewed my first Bollywood film director recently. Sunny Bhambhani, whose first film LOVE EXPRESS released in India last year and is now available on DVD from Amazon.com.

It is a very sweet, funny romantic comedy which I highly recommend.

Then hopefully the library will pick it up.
― Voltaire

KevinH

« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »

Great review, DR Jrand61 !   Can't wait to read the book.  There was a little yellow slip in my mailbox today showing a package waiting for me at the post office.  I should be able to pick it up tomorrow since I get out of work an hour early every other Friday.  

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »

Zach is busy confounding Siri.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up