Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AHA  (Read 32926 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:AHA
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2005, 07:46:14 PM »

I have been watching Love at First Bite - not too funny, although a few of the gags are okay.  I never saw the whole thing, but I definitely remember the very amusing disco scene and I Love the Nightlife dance.  Well, guess what?  These sickening cheap cretins at MGM/UA or whatever concern controls the rights, have seen fit not to pay for I Love the Nightlife, and it is replaced by some awful song at the wrong tempo and it completely ruins what was, according to most, the highlight of the film.  I shut it off and back to the store it goes, because NOWHERE on the packaging does it say that the film has been altered.

I just read on Muppet Central that there will be a new special edition DVD release of "Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas" with a whole bunch of scenes, dialogue and songs that have been cut out of past releases but because Disney now owns "The Muppets," all of the Kermit the Frog narrations will be edited out!  That is so wrong!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2005, 07:49:43 PM »

Thanks for the info, Jane! :-X (this is me with my mouth shut! ;))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2005, 08:02:36 PM »

I decided to trade up to a new 2005 Prius. I have a 2003 - now called a "classic" LOL, like they've been around long enough to be classic! I lucked out and the dealership is getting one in any day that wasn't spoken for....well it is now!  I should have it tomorrow. If not, I'll be waiting until I get back from Portland on Sunday.

Cillaliz

« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2005, 08:04:20 PM »

DR Jane, the pic is so you'll recognize me as we eat dinner....this was me eating my birthday turtle cheesecake!

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2005, 08:04:42 PM »

4 more posts and I'll finally be at 400

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »

Then 100 more and I'll make it to the next level....that is right isn't it?

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »

hmmm can't think of anything clever to say

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2005, 08:06:05 PM »

But this should do it

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2005, 08:12:13 PM »

Has there been any follow-up stories regarding Jana Schneider and her condition?  

You'll have to clue me in, DR Dan. I don't know what you're referring to.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2005, 08:14:56 PM »

I wasn't a big fan of LOVE AT FIRST BITE but I really disliked ZORRO, THE GAY BLADE, his follow-up.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2005, 08:18:14 PM »

I enjoyed the Lauren Bacall interview with Robert Osborne. In print interviews, she has come across as a tough cookie, a really demanding and cantankerous woman, but the lady being interviewed tonight was gracious, unassuming, grateful for her success, and rather modest. I thought. Was she giving a performance for TV? I was really surprised!

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2005, 08:20:02 PM »

No, I'd rather see a De Niro movie than a Wayne movie, and I'd rather see a Pacino movie than either one of them (since DR Ron mentioned Pacino).

That doesn't meant there aren't Wayne movies that I like a lot. For starters, RED RIVER.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2005, 08:22:28 PM »

And, of course, we've talked before about unworthy Best Songs. I antagonized some DRs here the last time I dumped on "Sweet Leilani," but I say again that I think "They Can't Take That Away from Me" should have gotten the Gershwins an Oscar instead.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2005, 08:23:42 PM »

Has anyone been watching Anthony Bourdain's new show on the Travel Channel, No Reservations?  We watched the Finland episode tonight; it was filled with his usual laid-back but quirky cynicism.  Some of it was laugh-out-loud stuff, but Bourdain is an acquired taste, not unlike his reaction to fermented shark meat.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2005, 08:28:54 PM »

On that Bacall interview, they showed a clip of Bacall doing "Welcome to the Theater" from the Tony Awards. She did look marvelous, and you could tell she was thrilled to be there, thrilled to be nominated, and she affirmed during the interview that to be a respected stage actress was always her dream. She was supposed to be singing into a floor mike but she kept moving out of the range of the mic and her voice would raise or lower in volume as she did so.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2005, 08:37:22 PM »

When I first met Bacall and had dinner with her, I found her completely charming and gracious, and when we recorded her she was down-to-earth, took suggestions, and was wonderful to work with.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2005, 08:37:23 PM »

OH...

I just received an updated contact list from my stage manager.  My director's full name is: Carlos Amesto.

...Just thought you'd like to know that.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2005, 08:46:04 PM »

I saw Julie Andrews and Rachel York and I was flabbergasted the York wasn't nominated.  She was wonderful.

I think Rachel York was robbed! She should have been nominated.

I think she she had the best line in the show.

After finding out that Victor is a woman, and Squash is gay. She's had enough.

I leaving and I am going to be a nun.

(The gangsters laugh)

What's the matter with that? My mother was a nun!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2005, 08:47:54 PM »

The worse musical I ever saw that won the Tony Award was The Will Rogers Follies. I saw it on tour with the two leads at the Jackie Gleason Theater. I wanted to leave at intermission, but I thought my parents were enjoying it. Turns out they thought I was enjoying and they would have left at intermission as well.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2005, 08:48:43 PM »

My Dearest Penny O

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2005, 08:49:57 PM »

And Jose, to tie separate postings together, you can ask Tom Mizer and Curtis Moore about the time they both simultaneously danced with Lauren Bacall at Amanda Green's wedding.  I wasn't there, but we heard about it.  Reportedly they made a Lauren Bacall sandwich.  Wonder if there are pictures of that.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2005, 08:50:51 PM »

I also watched the next episode in the continually improving and quite interesting Lisa Kudrow series THE COMEBACK. The character she's playing showed some dynamic change this week after weeks of getting run over, backstabbed, and humiliated on camera.

I really am starting to love the canny mix of humor and pathos in the show now. I hope HBO will give it another season despite less than stellar ratings.

Michael

« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2005, 08:52:21 PM »

TWO WALTER WILLISON STORIES.

BK: I read an old article that Walter Willison recorded two songs with Richard Rodgers. Do you think that would be interesting  enough to be part of a cd of Richard Rodgers songs. Perhaps some from his last three musicals and his tv musical?

Actually the next thing is actually a trivia question

What TV and Film actor was born with the name Walter Willison but had to change it when he became an actor?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2005, 08:54:14 PM »

I'll grant you that THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES was not a great musical (I found it glossily entertaining, however), but I certainly preferred it to MISS SAIGON which I suspect finished ahead of THE SECRET GARDEN in the Tony voting, but that's just a hunch. THE SECRET GARDEN had some dead spots for me (no pun intended), so I was OK with WILL ROGERS winning the prize.

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2005, 08:57:41 PM »

Bacall mentioned during the interview that among her film roles, she most admired her work in DESIGNING WOMAN saying that she enjoyed doing a comedy since she hadn't done one. Later on in the show, however, she mentioned HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE which was made before DESIGNING WOMAN and was, of course, a comedy.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: August 01, 2005, 08:59:57 PM »

One final Oscar disappointment which I've mentioned here before. THough he was certainly wonderful in A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, Paul Scofield got the Oscar that year that should have gone to Richard Burton in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF.

Michael

« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2005, 09:03:38 PM »

BK:
And speaking of Rupert Holmes.....
I am listening to Widescreen. What was the origin of "Psycho Drama" and did you or Rupert decide to include it on the reissue.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2005, 09:05:48 PM »

1991 was an interesting year for Best Musical noms.  Between Will Rogers Follies, Miss Saigon, The Secret Garden and the show so many people forget was also in the running, Once on This Island, I've always found WRF to be the weakest.  On the other hand, der B was so entranced by the SG score that I had to hide the CD from him, just to get him to play something else!  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2005, 09:06:24 PM »

I'll grant you that THE WILL ROGERS FOLLIES was not a great musical (I found it glossily entertaining, however), but I certainly preferred it to MISS SAIGON which I suspect finished ahead of THE SECRET GARDEN in the Tony voting, but that's just a hunch. THE SECRET GARDEN had some dead spots for me (no pun intended), so I was OK with WILL ROGERS winning the prize.

Secret Garden's score is the only one I still listen to. There is nothing memorable about Will Rogers and Miss Saigon was a one listen and that's it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2005, 09:09:42 PM »

1991 was an interesting year for Best Musical noms.  Between Will Rogers Follies, Miss Saigon, The Secret Garden and the show so many people forget was also in the running, Once on This Island, I've always found WRF to be the weakest.  On the other hand, der B was so entranced by the SG score that I had to hide the CD from him, just to get him to play something else!  

Once On This Island had some really good songs, but I might have enjoyed them more if I saw the show.

And don;t forget BK recorded two songs on the Lost In Boston Series
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up