Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MTW  (Read 23319 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MTW
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2006, 02:43:24 PM »

Heading down now to get some cleaning done and then on to a marathon night of network TV.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2006, 02:46:08 PM »

Page Five Nemo Dance!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »

I didn't think about it because the Duke-North Carolina basketball game is being broadcast on our local CBS affiliate instead of CRIMINAL MINDS and LOVE MONKEY. The station is showing them in the early morning hours, and I've set the DVR to record LOVE MONKEY beginning at 4:07 a.m!

I believe I saw tonight's LOVE MONKEY last night.  Although it isn't the one it says in my tv.  In my tv it says something about tom working with an ex-girlfriend. But the show I saw was about wayne and whether or not to do a video. It was a really good episode.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2006, 02:54:01 PM »

Page Five Nemo Dance!!!

Before you posted your Page Five Nemo Dance, I was getting my own Page Five dance ready:  a Page Five Petula Dance (from 1944!), but I decided to post in anyway ;):

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:48:00 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2006, 03:07:43 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Steve's.  Just making a brief pit stop here before heading back up north in a few hours.

That's all for now.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2006, 03:17:06 PM »

BK, I guess Ms. Clark will be making her appearance out there before I make mine and I shall not have the pleasure.  Timing, timing...It's everything, alas!

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2006, 04:12:49 PM »

Tuesday evening greetings!  Oh, my, it was hard to come back to work after a lovely 3-day weekend.  And it's been wild and crazy here today - we're short-staffed and the bottom-feeders are quite aggressive.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »

Back from my busy day.  Got a message from my person at Disney, asking for a word change in my VO - so I'm happy I didn't turn in the cuts yesterday.  Unfortunately, my person didn't know this word was a promo no-no at Disney - but she was viewing somebody else's promo for something, and the offending word was uttered and the powers that be said, "No, we don't ever use that word."  The offending word that must be changed?  "Fun."

Had a very productive day.  The first day of the workshop was fun - I just spoke for an hour, which went by a lot slower than I thought it would, or I would have planned more to say.  On Thursday, they have to come in with their song choices, which we'll discuss.  Then the following Tuesday, our pianist will come and play them through their songs, and I'll critique and give notes.  The pianist will also play their song to tape so they can rehearse and work with it.  I'm also going to use the song I Remember on Thursday, to show how a lyric can be interpreted quite differently by four singers - Bernadette, Liz Callaway, that girl from Sound of Music who did the original Evening Primrose, and one other to be determined (suggestions welcome, but it should be different, interpretation-wise from the above).  It's such an evocative lyric, with endless colors and ways to play the intention of the song which, in Evening Primrose, is very specific.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »

As promised library pix.  

Chuck, the library is awesome!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:12 PM »

Hello all. Everything is on schedule...still. It's amazing but true. The one small problem is I'm exhausted and still have tons to pack.   I don't HAVE to be out of the old house, but having to come back and get "the rest of the stuff" is not my idea of a good time.  So, I'm going to try to go through the house and prioritize...what HAS to be moved by the movers and what do I have to pack so they can move it.  I've already taken several loads of boxes over to the house and they cleaned today....it smells so nice in there..Murphy's Oil Soap is a great scent.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2006, 04:35:55 PM »

As for the TOD, I've been working in my dream house since Wednesday.  I can't wait to live there!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2006, 04:36:26 PM »

CP Great Library! Thanks for sharing the photos.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I'd like a house right in the middle of Central Park.  Right in the middle of the Reservoir.  My own private island as it were.  Surrounded by the Park and the City.  But seriously...

A loft in SoHo.  A penthouse on Central Park West and/or Central Park East.  And a well-appointed one bedroom in the midst of the theatre district so that I could freshen up between shows.

:)

What would you be doing between shows that would require you to freshen up, Jose???  Just asking.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2006, 04:45:21 PM »

Maybe if I go get some chocolate I may get interested in packing up the kitchen.  Tomorrow is the first day in the past 8 or 9 days that I don't have to be somewhere before 8:00 am.  So maybe chocolate would give me a second wind....it's worth a try.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2006, 04:51:43 PM »

Good Evening!  Again!

Still at Steve's.  Steve ended up cooking up some dinner/snack - mashed potatoes and Italian sausages.  Meat and potatoes.  Very tasty.

And since "American Idol" is on tonight, I'm gonna hang out here for a bit longer and watch that with him, then make the trek back north.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »

Finding your dreamhouse is one thing.  Getting the State of California to sell you the Hearst Castle is another.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2006, 04:53:34 PM »

OH!

And a "That's Cool!" Thank You to whomever posted the link to the UK Honda Civic ad.  Very cool!  Steve is going to send it to his choral director.  ;)

http://www.honda.co.uk/civic/
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2006, 04:55:49 PM »

What would you be doing between shows that would require you to freshen up, Jose???  Just asking.

Well, playing an 88-key keyboard with my hands and keeping track of four foot pedals (volume, damper, program change and modulation) can cause one to work up quite a sweat.

;)

And between-show naps are always a nice thing too.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2006, 05:00:23 PM »

....I'm also going to use the song I Remember on Thursday, to show how a lyric can be interpreted quite differently by four singers - Bernadette, Liz Callaway, that girl from Sound of Music who did the original Evening Primrose, and one other to be determined (suggestions welcome, but it should be different, interpretation-wise from the above).  It's such an evocative lyric, with endless colors and ways to play the intention of the song which, in Evening Primrose, is very specific.

David Kernan (a man) sang it in Side By Side By Sondheim, but for some jazzy versions, Richard Rodney Bennett recorded it on "A Different Side of Sondheim," Jackie Cain and Roy Kral sang it on "A Stephen Sondheim Collection" and Dianne Reeves recorded it as "I Remember Sky" on her 1991 CD "I Remember."  I have the first two recordings on CD at home, but not the Dianne Reeves at all.  I could e-mail you MP3s if you want.

I had read that Sondheim didn't like Richard Rodney Bennett's album but he was, of course, on the cover of Cain and Kral's recording, so he must have liked what they did.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2006, 05:05:45 PM »

I'll give those a listen and I know I have a couple of others.  Isn't there an Evening Primrose on The Frogs CD?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2006, 05:06:12 PM »

Oh, and it's Charmian Carr - couldn't remember her name.

George

« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »

I'll give those a listen and I know I have a couple of others.  Isn't there an Evening Primrose on The Frogs CD?

Yup.  The recording has Neil Patrick Harris and Theresa McCarthy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »

In JRB land, 2 songs that have worked well for the many singers I've done "cattle call" auditions with:

Climbing Uphill from Last 5 Years
The Old Red Hills of Home from Parade

In JRB land, 1 song that is done way too much at auditions IMHO:

Stars and the Moon from Songs for a New World

Hmm...

In my experience, "The Old Red Hills of Home" is usually beyond the technical and musical capabilities of the person choosing to sing it.

Most singers I've played it for think the piece is in "2" or "4".  It's in "3".  -Thank you "hemiola".  And then when the song does go into 4/4, all bets are off.

Pianistically speaking, it's also a bit thorny.  -Especially in the 4/4 section with those running thirds.  And if the piano in the audition room doesn't have a decent action, then even the opening figure can be difficult to "sound".

However, when it's done well, it can be a true highlight of an audition day.

*And I also sort of laugh - to myself, of course - when a guy comes to the piano and wants the song "a little faster than normal".  Those thirds in sixteenths are already fast enough when played at "normal" speed.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »

I'll give those a listen and I know I have a couple of others.

So...does this mean that you have these or do you want/need me to send you the MP3s?  I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »

I need MP3s on I Remember by Bernadette and Theresa McCarthy and Dianne Reeves.  Please send to haineshisway@gmail.com

George

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »

I need MP3s on I Remember by Bernadette and Theresa McCarthy and Dianne Reeves.  Please send to haineshisway@gmail.com

I can do that tonight.  I personally don't own the Dianne Reeves version, but I can get it at one of the branch libraries close to where I work...unless someone checks it out within the next few hours.  I do own the other two versions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 05:39:47 PM by George »

George

« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »

I also have Robert Clary's version on his CD, "Louis Lebeau Remembers Cole Porter, Not Stephen Sondheim (But Sings Their Songs Anyway)." ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2006, 05:46:11 PM »

Watching Liza Minnelli on ACTORS STUDIO.

My sister asked me if I could work tomorrow, so I said yes.  Hmmm.....maybe something exciting will happen at WOW.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2006, 06:25:01 PM »

American Idol was okay tonight. Tomorrow we will see them in Hollywood. I know most viewers prefer the auditions.  But personally I would rather see a show with just all the winners.  So Hollywood are my favorite shows.

There was one girl tonight (the blonde with a black streak who worked for challenged old people). I really liked her and was disappointed that the judges thought she was very good, but not good enough to go through. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »

Hi Jane and Danise!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up