Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 28605 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »

I just had three slices of rare roastbeast and two slices of monster cheese on a fresh crosisant accompanied by 1/4 lb of German potato salad... alas.... eaten at my desk not the beach
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:47:15 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2006, 10:49:25 AM »

Looks like my friend Kevin Kilner is guest starring.

You didn't tell me you knew Kevin Kilner? I adore him. Please set me up on a date with him.

vixmom

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2006, 10:52:45 AM »

Looks like my friend Kevin Kilner is guest starring.

I got all excited for a minute... I thought you said Kevin Kline.. I was going to ask you to set me up on a date with him.... ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »

Of course I love it when the old timers are trotted out...if they are up to it and have a desire to be seen again (and many of them do! Just go to any of those nostalgia conventions) I say, bring 'em on out...just because they are old and frail doesn't mean, in my mind, that they should be kept out of the limelight...unless of course that is what they prefer.

It is rather odd with the old timers...people get upset seeing them all old looking...and they are upset seeing them all surgically enhanced to try to look younger...these poor people are darned if they do and darned if they don't... frankly, I will take them any way I can just to have the opportunity to see them and/or meet them...in whatever shape they are in!

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

And of course it is certainly wonderful to see someone like Janis Paige who has aged remarkably! Holy cow I couldn't believe my eyes! She certainly does not look her age at all.

And a P.S. (before I fall off of my high horse) having met quite a lot of old time actors and actresses, some who seemed like they were on their last leg, they absolutely loved any attention they could still get...it is just the performer in them I guess.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:04:53 AM by MBarnum »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »

I just had three slices of rare roastbeast and two slices of monster cheese on a fresh crosisant accompanied by 1/4 lb of German potato salad... alas.... eaten at my desk not the beach

Monster cheese?  Gorgon-zolla?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:59:30 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2006, 11:01:13 AM »

Monster cheese?  Gorgon-zolla?

Surely you meant gorgonzilla!   ;D

Monster cheese  is the "family" name for Muenster  :D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:02:23 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2006, 11:04:17 AM »

The Fairport Convention Concert we saw last night was wonderful!  They are playing at Joes Pub this Sunday evening the 18th, at 7 PM.  Only $25 a ticket.  I urge you NYC locals to give them a listen!

http://www.joespub.com/web_joes/?CFID=1217299&CFTOKEN=e9c4560e2240c04f-C966B74F-8A11-AAA6-8A703D0A143E8FC3

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:08:30 AM by vixmom »

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »

Oh, Vixmom, Kevin Kilner is even better! He was in some short lived sitcome some years back that I really liked him in.

Ben

« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2006, 11:07:30 AM »

Interesting how those people who didn't see Drowsy thought the number on the Tonys came off well and some of us who have seen the show thought it just laid there. I guess it bodes well for the show.

Since Sweeney already made back the investment they could close anytime and be considered a hit. I do think that the core Sweeney heads have seen the show. I am considering very strongly going back to see Miss Kaye when she steps in for Miss LuPone

Here is news about the Vegas Phantom

WSMA

Ben

« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2006, 11:10:05 AM »

I will be in Roanoke, VA on Sunday, June 18th seeing Anthony's show for the third time. I'm seeing it Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I will not be able to go to Joe's Pub unless I can pull a Hermione from Harry Potter.

vixmom

« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »

Oh, Vixmom, Kevin Kilner is even better! He was in some short lived sitcome some years back that I really liked him in.

Oh I am sure he is very nice... byt Kevin Kline has had my... heart.... since I saw him in Pirates of Penzance on Broadway
back when they used candles to light the Great White Way!!

Ben

« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:53 AM »

Sad news for the New York acting community and for the Phantom of the Opera cast:

Obituary
Richard Warren Pugh, a Broadway singer, dancer and actor who performed as an original cast member of "The Phantom of the Opera" for 18 years, died in his sleep Friday at his home in Teaneck. The cause of death was complications from diabetes. He was 55. "He was the perfect character actor, even in life," said his sister, Jeanine M. Pollock. "He always took care of people around him. He was the one in the family that others relied on." On Broadway, Mr. Pugh also performed in "Sweeney Todd" (1979-80), "The Music Man" (1980), "Copperfield" (1981) and a revival of "Zorba" with Anthony Quinn (1983-84). He opened in "Phantom" in 1988. "Acting, that was his whole life," Pollock said. "He had a fused ankle and he was still able to dance. He was a one-legged song-and-dance man." A graduate of Tarkio College in Missouri, Mr. Pugh went on to become vice president of the Actors Equity Association in New York City. He also was a member of the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. Besides Pollock, he is survived by his father, Henry Pugh, and his nephew, Rhys Pollock. Visitation will be at the Costa Memorial Home in Hasbrouck Heights from 7 to 9 p.m. today and from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday. A funeral Mass will be said at 11 a.m. Tuesday at St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church in Lodi.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »

I liked it.  The conceit was expositional, IMO...and no less logical than songs in many Broadway musicals of years gone by.

How much sense is there in seeing a scene inside the Sleeptite Pajama factory where all the workers are singing, "The Pajama Game is the game I'm in..."  Etc.

Everyone there knows what kind of game they're in...they're letting the audience know...and that's exactly what "The Wedding Singer" number was doing.

Not one whit different in concept/execution, to my way of thinking.  And it was original, rather than "juke box"...even better.

I agree that "It's Your Wedding Day" is typical as an opening number.  It's the self referencing of the song itself that I have a problem with.

And since I'm in a nit-picky mood, I have an issue with the new production of PG having all the factory workers singing "The Pajama Game" at the top of the show.  Why would disgruntled workers, who are on the verge of going out on strike and would call a meeting of the grievance committee at the drop of a hat, want to sing "We can hardly wait to wake and get to work at eight"?  It makes sense for Hines but not for the union members.  The production went to the trouble of replacing Gladys with Mae performing "Steam Heat" at the union meeting, so why did they make this illogical choice?

But then again, it's musical theatre and not an algebraic algorithm--who needs logic when there's singing and dancing, hey?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2006, 11:18:08 AM »

And I thought I had noticed "this" last night, but here's the proof:

Scroll down for picture...

Oops...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:29:23 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »

Surely you meant gorgonzilla!   ;D

Monster cheese  is the "family" name for Muenster  :D

I fell in love with Muenster when I was a youngen.  But then my folks started buying the less expensive Munchee cheese, trying to fob it off on me as Muenster.  But I knew better.  Can't pull the cheese over my eyes.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2006, 11:19:45 AM »

I will be in Roanoke, VA on Sunday, June 18th seeing Anthony's show for the third time. I'm seeing it Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I will not be able to go to Joe's Pub unless I can pull a Hermione from Harry Potter.

Drive Fast!  :D

Give the vixfamily regards to your dear Anthony.  It is a shame we can't get down to see him ... we were very impressed with his performance in the show we saw him in last year.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:01 AM »

The Wedding Singer number certainly didn't make me want to rush out and see the show; But Jose is probably right...the "casual" tourist theatre goers will flock to it.

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:02 AM »

And I thought I had noticed "this" last night, but here's the proof:

Oops!

hmmm...no picture!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: June 12, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »

DR Ben - I shall have to check in with my Phantom friends this week... Sad news indeed.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2006, 11:24:22 AM »

Rest in Peace Mr. Pugh

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: June 12, 2006, 11:24:53 AM »

hmmm...no picture!

Hmm... It was there just a second ago...  Oh, hold on...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2006, 11:28:20 AM »

Let's see if this works....

Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »

All I can say about that picture is OH MY!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »

Nice headlights.

Back from my jog - like yesterday, difficult, but I went the full distance.  As it's now been about twenty-four days in a row, I may be due for a day off.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2006, 11:33:09 AM »

"This irresistible, Paris original..."
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2006, 11:41:48 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I like food that has been barbequed, but I've never been to a restaurant that specifically is "barbeque."

Otherwise, I love the show, Das Barbecü (as recorded by our very own BK!) and the song "Barbecue For Two."  It's a great show and a great cast recording!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 12, 2006, 11:52:09 AM »

You didn't tell me you knew Kevin Kilner? I adore him. Please set me up on a date with him.

His girlfriend would hate you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2006, 11:59:10 AM »

On the TOD: there are quite a few barbeque restaurants in NYC that I like, I enjoy the pulled pork sandwich at Cowgirl Hall of Fame, and pretty much anything at Spanky's.  There is also a barbequed meat salad at Virgil's that I really like, it's a green salad with barbequed pork, beef, and I think chicken on top. We recently tried out RUB (Real Urban Barbeque) for dinner but they were out of almost everything.  I guess since it is slow cooked throughout the day they cannot quickly whip some up when they run out, but it made for a peculiar dining experience.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2006, 11:59:40 AM »

His girlfriend would hate you.

Why is she so mean?  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: June 12, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »

A girlfriend my Aunt Fanny!

After watching the Tony awards last night I am convinced that there are no straight men on Broadway.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up