Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 28371 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2006, 07:21:37 AM »

Off to shop back in a tick.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2006, 07:23:06 AM »

Hal Prince always has his glasses on his head.  But I guess over the years, his head has shrunk and his perscription has been calling for thicker lenses.  

His thank you speech was pretty lackadaisickle.  It sounded like he won the People's Choice Award.

And what did Best Scenic Design for a Play award winner Bob Crowley mean when he said, "I should have won for the other show."  Was this another John Napier sour grapes moment?

I agree that the whole lifetime acheivement award presentation was lacking a certain something.

And I believe that Bob Crowley may have been referring to Tarzan, which was snubbed in all but one category, lighting.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2006, 07:27:01 AM »

Last night as the Tony's were winding down, I went online to search for plane tickets.  Flights to California which had previously been in the "how in the world can anyone afford that?!" ranged dropped down to "okay, I can live with that" and so we booked our yearly summer trip to the Bay Area.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2006, 07:28:20 AM »

Goodness, that was a lot of posting yesterday.  I managed to catch up on almost all of it, though.  Jed and I watched the Tonys, and most of our thoughts rang true with what people were saying around these parts.  

HCJ was lifeless as the host, and I had the impression that he wasn't feeling very well.  

We liked the Color Purple numbers more than most...but that's horseracing.

Jose, you look simply faboo in your tux.  Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.  

The POTO number was completely pointless

Jersey Boys might be a strong musical, but it's still a bit sad when the jukebox musical wins it all.

On a seperate note, Jed and I will be driving down to Portland in September to see Wicked.  I had NO idea that tickets for the Seattle production would go so quickly.  They started Monday, and were gone when I tried on Friday.  But tix for the Portland one aren't even on sale yet, so I'll be getting up early on the 23rd to get some of those.  Sad, but I've been looking forward to seeing this for over a year, and darned if I'm gonna miss it now!

Later all!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2006, 07:29:13 AM »

TOD-  as our host remarked, barbecue tends to be lotsa taste from lotsa calories. I rarely indulge. But my parents liked to go to the Wood Ranch restaurant in Northridge, near the house they lived in for the last year of their lives, and with so many of us near, it was Family Dinners at Wood Ranch at least 3 times a month. The ribs are wonderful, likewise the tri-tip. Yummmmmm....
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2006, 07:31:31 AM »

I've heard of real Southern barbecue, but have never tasted it. Some day.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2006, 07:35:03 AM »

Catch y'all later... I'm off to make a gallon of coffee and get to work on this presentation for my June 27 interview. Hey, Bruce, maybe wanna do a meeting that afternoon? It's a Tuesday. I'd love to hear the songs and talk about script changes.
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »

BK, I will certainly weigh in on b-b-q. Dr. Hogly-Wogly's Tyler, Texas B-B-Q is probably the best I've ever had anywhere, including many, many good joints in Texas.  The only one I think that could compare (and now sadly gone, I believe) was The Rib  on Lovers Lane in Dallas.  It was an all-you-could-eat place, but very poshly appointed and you were served on silver salvers by red-liveried waiters.  Excellent food.  I disagree with you about the Hogly-Wogly's sauce; I like it because it was sweet, not tangy or spicy.  I thik you may be using their spicy version in the catsup dispenser.  The stuff that comes in the little pitchers is sweet.  The main difference I find between Southern B-B-Q and Texas or Western B-B-Q is in the sauce.  Southern is usually tangy and spicy; Texas is sweet.  While I can eat both, I prefer Texas.  Usually you can tell by the colour...Texas is more brownish in colour; Southern has reddish hues.

I think the Tonys is still the classiest, smartest, and best run Award show on TV.  I enjoyed it thoroughly...any gripes I might have are minimal (too many damned commercials; never enough attention to straight plays).  Delighted History Boys took home a gaggle of awards. Terrific play.

Biggest surprise of Tony night was see my LA doctor...Doctor Galen...in the commercial for Fosomax (I think) which ran a couple of times.  He was the one with the goatee who got most of the air time, it seemed to me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2006, 07:45:13 AM »

My weatherbug said it was 71F at 5:30 a.m., so I took off for a nice long walk. It is flashing red now, warning me of hot weather this afternoon.

Sometime today my range hood will be installed. So I guess I wait around today for that.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:45:43 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2006, 07:46:28 AM »

Good morning!

We had a horrific storm blow through here last night. Lots of people lost power, but I didn't.

It's overcast this morning but not especially cool - mid 70s right now climbing to low 80s by afternoon. More storms in the forecast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2006, 07:49:07 AM »

Last night, bk wrote:

"So, Chaperone has won book and score - not surprising, given there were only three nominees in each category, which says more about the B'way musical than anything."

This is not correct. Each category had four nominees. The book nominees paralleled the Best Musical nominees. The score nominees were DROWSY, PURPLE, WEDDING SINGER, and THE WOMAN IN WHITE.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »

I thought THE DROWSY CHAPARONE's number came across very well last night on TV. Of course, I have only that to go on; not having seen it in the theater, I can't say which was more effective. I can say that if I didn't know anything about any of the shows, CHAPARONE's number would have made me want to see it.

As for JERSEY BOYS being a jukebox musical, well, it kinda is, but at least to their credit, they didn't try to make the songs of the Four Seasons into character songs or book songs. The songs are fit normally into the show as performance pieces of the group. (Nothing like SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER or FOOTLOOSE or MAMMA MIA.) For that reason, it didn't bother me that it won Best Musical.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2006, 07:54:11 AM »

DR Jose did indeed look wonderful in that tux. Maybe a new avatar is on the way?

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2006, 07:55:58 AM »

I'm going to be watching BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID's new DVD transfer today. Haven't watched the movie in a long time (only had it on laserdisc anyway), so I'll be anxious to see the new transfer and hear it in stereo. The laserdisc was in mono sound.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2006, 07:56:29 AM »

And another reminder about the season premiere of THE CLOSER tonight on TNT. 9 p.m. EDT.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2006, 07:57:39 AM »

I agree that the whole lifetime acheivement award presentation was lacking a certain something.

And I believe that Bob Crowley may have been referring to Tarzan, which was snubbed in all but one category, lighting.

Ugh!  From every picture that I've seen, the TARZAN set consists of nothing but green streamers hanging from the rafters.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »

DR Jose did indeed look dashing.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2006, 08:09:47 AM »

As for me in my new tux...

Awwwww... <blush>

*And I have to admit that it was fun dressing up again for the first time in a long time.  I think the last time I wore a tuxedo was for the Helen Hayes Awards about five or six years ago.

**And I even thought I looked quite spiffy.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2006, 08:13:04 AM »

Biggest surprise of the night for me: Bob Martin is married?

FJL

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2006, 08:15:14 AM »

I'll add to the chorus of "spiffy in a tux" reviews of Jose.  Great photos.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2006, 08:16:18 AM »

Well... I'm still always amazed that Michael Riedel has a girlfriend.

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »

So was the Man In The Chair.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2006, 08:22:39 AM »

Ben - just to clarify, I first commented on the Roundabout THREEPENNY OPERA about a week into previews, and what I very much enjoyed on that visit was the way the musical numbers were presented and performed, which I meant to separate out from the production as a whole.  At the time, I felt the book adaptation was simply in no shape to be evaluated, since the actors were still falling over some of the lines and had not grown comfortable with the book.  I know that since then, I've expressed disappointment that none of the actors besides Jim Dale were taken seriously as Tony contenders, though, but I have to sheepishly admit that I haven't gone back to see the show again following the reviews.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »

Well... I'm still always amazed that Michael Riedel has a girlfriend.

:P

I was shocked about Jefferson Mays' wife a few seasons ago, too. One never knows!   :o

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2006, 08:33:11 AM »

Is/was THREEPENNY OPERA recorded?  I'm not a fan of this production, but I would like to hear a clean recording of Cyndi Lauper's numbers.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »

No recording is planned for ThreePenny. The production is now available on TKTS (half-price tickets).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:53:37 AM by Ben »

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2006, 08:39:10 AM »

Morning - Jose, you were quite dashing in your tux - sounds like you had a blast last night. that's fabulous

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2006, 08:41:27 AM »

For someone who has seen JERSEY BOYS - I'm assuming it has a good book. Is that true?   I'm not a big fan of jukebox musicals and wasn't planning to try to see it, but if the songs fit into the story of the Four Seasons and it's got a good book, I may just have to give it a chance

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »

Is/was THREEPENNY OPERA recorded?  I'm not a fan of this production, but I would like to hear a clean recording of Cyndi Lauper's numbers.

There are also reports that the Kurt Weill Estate is not happy with the production and the new translation, and, thus, they are not allowing it to be recorded.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:32 AM »

I need to get some breakfast.  By for now
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up