Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THINK SYSTEM  (Read 13127 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: THE THINK SYSTEM
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »

Oh... And it does look like I'll be heading to Chicago for a "long weekend" visit this weekend.  Details to follow...

If you eat someplace that would be perfect for a wedding with about 40 guests, please let me know.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2009, 01:18:13 PM »

After that I watched/skimmed today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. It was SO stupid (as DR ELmore has already reported) that I just got really angry at the inanity of the characters and the writers who concoct them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2009, 01:19:03 PM »

Next, I watched last week's KROD MANDOON which was finally found in the correct time slot by my DVR. Silly but fairly funny episode this week. Some really good lines.

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »

To end the afternoon, for some reason I put in CASABLANCA and watched about 35 minutes of it. Hadn't watched it in awhile and I just wanted to see it again.

I still haven't upgraded to the HD version. The SD is certainly a gorgeous, pristine transfer.

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »

Goodness...looking at your "plate wall", I'm thinking you'd better hope you don't have a sizable earthquake!    :D

Three more walls are covered with plates, THAT wall is the shortest ones!  You can't hang plates on a window.  :D
Gawd!  I hope there's not an earthquake!  We had a tremor ONCE, but it only threw thing off of the basement walls.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt for lunch out today - summer clothes in April. There ought to be a law!

I've been wearing shorts to work all month. . .both jobs.  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »

And since we have been talking about the swine flu, here's an entry from the Biosurveillance blog:

Swine Flu in Mexico - Timeline of Events

It seems to be rising in Manhattan, and we have a large illegal Mexican population, I suspect. I'm upping my vitamin dosage and thanking God I had a flu shot. I hope this doesn't do in my favorite Mexican restaurant, but i think I would be loathe to go to one at the present time, given the large number of Mexican employees.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:03:33 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »

Sorry DR elmore, your flu shot won't protect you from the swine flu.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Greeting from Hamilton Heights!

I'm HOME!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Welcome home, Jose!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2009, 01:48:53 PM »

Has anyone seen Britain’s latest talent.

Don't judge her dancing, wait until she begins singing.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

Several calls have been cut off. I suspect I'm pressing some button my mistake, but don't know which one. I don't think I'm hitting the hang-up button (whatever they call it). One day I was reaching for the phone and pressed the volume control, which is on the side of the phone. Apparently if you press that while the phone is ringing it thinks you don't want the call. Oy! The phone not that big; you have to touch it to pick it up!

Is it possible that where you're staying you may be "between" towers, or in a fringe area of AT&T's network?  Or do the dropped calls happen anywhere and everywhere? -Is there a "sensitivity" setting on the phone? ;)

Don't know about my location within the AT&T network. When I stayed here before I had a difficult time with cell connections, but I was on Virgin Mobile then. So far I haven't had those problems. But we are in a VERY hilly area. The dropped calls have always been from my guest room. I didn't know there was such a thing as a sensitivity setting. I'll look. Thx.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

I guess I'll hop off-line now and get to the writing part of my work project for the day. Then, I'll head down to finish CASABLANCA and possibly watch some shows from last night I haven't seen yet (THE TUDORS, L&O: CI).

WBBL.

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2009, 01:55:07 PM »

It seems to be rising in Manhattan, and we have a large illegal Mexican population.......i think I would be loathe to go to one at the present time, given the large number of Mexican employees.

Elmore, Did you really just write that??!!

Ginny

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »

Progress report on the big furniture switcheroo here at our house:

Step 1:  Clean out the china cabinet - CHECK!

I found a lot of stuff that hasn't been used (or dusted  :P) since we moved the cabinet from one end of the dining room to the other.  We figured that was when we rearranged to accommodate the piano from my mother-in-law's house, 10 years ago when she moved to the retirement community.  A lot of that went into a box for the AAUW garage sale (after I dusted it...)

So, the cabinet is now empty, with our china and glassware stacked all over the living room and it will be moved back to its original place at the other end of the dining room.  This is to make it easier to get some big pieces of furniture around the corner without breaking a lot of dishes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »

It seems to be rising in Manhattan, and we have a large illegal Mexican population.......i think I would be loathe to go to one at the present time, given the large number of Mexican employees.

Elmore, Did you really just write that??!!

Well, I wrote something similar before you edited out my meaning! I know I sound a bit pathetic like the folk in the early 1980s who were afraid Haitians carried AIDS, and I know that I could have worded it better, but in essence, I am a but concerned about going to a Mexican restaurant with a large Mexican staff, who may or may not be traveling to and from Mexico while the country appears to be the source of the this flu strain. I have enough worries in other restaurants about employees washing their hands!

And, yes, DR MBarnum, I do believe this city has a very large population of illegal Mexican immigrants. We've got 4 or 5 Mexican men who hang out for day jobs at the corner of 82nd and Broadway. Who do you think carried my piano out of the basement last year?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 02:10:21 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »

I don't think that this has been mentioned yet, but:

Drama Desk Nominees Announced; 9 to 5 Garners Record-Breaking 15 Noms

Discuss.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »

Discuss.

;)

From what I've heard about the show, I suspect none of the nominators have seen it!

Laura

« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »

We have a few illegal Latino immigrants here, too.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

George

« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »

Discuss.

;)

From what I've heard about the show, I suspect none of the nominators have seen it!

I was wondering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »

According to the news, it may make it leasier. I just heard it on Channel 2.

Amy

« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

It's funny how your expectations of a show can wildly influence your enjoyment of it. I once watched about the first 10 minutes of the movie version of "Thoroughly Modern Milly" on television and was thoroughly bored. So when we ended up with season tickets that included the musical at the Ahmanson, I wasn't expecting much and thoroughly loved it! It's probably one of the best musicals I've seen, but maybe I just feel that way because my expectations were so low.

Conversely, I had been playing the CD of "Wicked" in my car and singing along (badly) and knew all the words for so many months, and had the musical so built up in my mind, that when I finally saw it at the Pantages, I was actually disappointed. I mean it was very enjoyable, but it didn't exactly rock my world like the CD did.

By far, the best one-man play I ever saw was "Fully Committed" with Jason Graae. He was his usual incredible self. It was one of those shows that was so funny that my face hurt when I left the theater from smiling and laughing so much. I really wanted to see it again, but we saw it on the last night. If nothing else, even if you didn't like the show, you had to be in awe of someone that can memorize ALL the lines of a 90-minute show.

Laura

« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »

By far, the best one-man play I ever saw was "Fully Committed" with Jason Graae. He was his usual incredible self. It was one of those shows that was so funny that my face hurt when I left the theater from smiling and laughing so much.

What she said.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2009, 02:57:14 PM »

Time to sign off for dinner - lemon roasted chicken, wild rice, steamed broccoli.

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »

I have thunk on the TOD all day long, and the one play that really got to me more then any other was BRAIN FROM PLANET X....I have to admit that it was a very magical night of theater for me and I am not just saying that because the creator runs this here website.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2009, 03:06:59 PM »

We have a few illegal Latino immigrants here, too.

According to the news, it may make it leasier. I just heard it on Channel 2.

I hope that is true & it is updated info from the previous reports I have read.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 03:08:41 PM by Jane »

Ben

« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »

Two shows come to mind.

I saw an absof***inglutely amazing production of For Colored Girls... in Minneapolis at the Mixed Blood Theatre in 1979. From beginning to end I (and the audience) were swept away with the show. I clapped and yelled at the curtain call and the audience wouldn't let the cast off stage for maybe 10 minutes. It was one of the most amazing theatrical experiences I ever, ever had.

I also saw Johnny Got His Gun at Circle Rep in 1981. It was amazing in a different way. I was shell shocked and unable to move for about 5 minutes. As the Brits say, I was gobsmacked.

The Normal Heart (1985 at the Public Theatre) was painful and funny and astonishing. It came a few years after AIDS started and the Gay community was not sure from one day to the next what was happening. To see this cri de coeur at that time made it all even more real. It took me quite a while to get over that performance/production.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »

And I add my vote to the "YES" column on DR TCB's new mugshot!  Handsome and distinguished!  It should definitely earn you a few rounds on the casting couch!

I should live so long!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »

I'd be more than happy to cast you on my couch, DR TCB!  ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

Thanks again to everyone for the compliments on the new photo.  And thanks for the commerical / film work vibes.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »

Oy! Sudden jobs. Like find a mover to cart things from the McGlinn apartment. Of course, the call came after business hours. The super of the building at 200 East 72nd Street, when McGlinn lived, has been difficult because he wants his palm oiled so he's been difficult about letting the movers use the service elevator and he so screwed up the works that the movers doing the job have no time this week to finish. So I got the request to find a mover who could finish the move between tomorrow and Thursday. I found a gay moving company called Divine Movers, spoke to the sales rep and I think we're set for Wednesday. I hope the super is hanged by his balls: the landlord of the building has been foaming at the mouth to get the McGlinnventory out of the building sicne February and they shpould know the super's been the problem.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up