Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MOXIE  (Read 30202 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:MOXIE
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2005, 02:36:37 PM »

Sounds like it is based on a certain Twilight Zone episode, George.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2005, 02:36:47 PM »

DR Tomovoz, have you ever seen any episodes of Eve's sitcom, The Mothers-In-Law (co-starring Kaye Ballard?)   I'll add that one to my DVD wish list.
Welcome back DR DtM.
Don't know the Mothers-In-Law at all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2005, 02:37:57 PM »

Page 5...

A dance called the Boney Maroni.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2005, 02:54:33 PM »

Today, for me, is a horrible allergies day.  I've been mouth-breathing since 6 a.m.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »

Thanks for letting me share that.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2005, 02:54:52 PM »

Welcome back DR DtM.
Don't know the Mothers-In-Law at all.

Great two season show, started out with a bang (huge ratings), faded fast.  Desi Arnaz was Exec Producer, IIRC.  Eve Arden, Kaye Ballard, Deborah Walley (WEHT?) and George somebody with a handlebar mustache.  Who was the other husband?  It was a really funny show.  Sunday nights at 7, I think (yes, I need a life, desperately.  ;) ).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

"Boney Maroni" is what my mom used to call really skinny kids when I was growing up.

Of course, "I" never qualified as a "boney maroni," but some of my cousins did.  

Not any more, though.

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:15 PM »

Re early posts:

I've never had the opportunity to see the Fantastiks stages and was so disappointed in the film. Ben and I are on the same horse here.

Peter Greenaway and his Cook thief etc. I'm with Ben.  Pretentious film - Emperor's New clothes!

OzDerek is a fan of Mr Greenaway's work.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »

Great two season show, started out with a bang (huge ratings), faded fast.  Desi Arnaz was Exec Producer, IIRC.  Eve Arden, Kaye Ballard, Deborah Walley (WEHT?) and George somebody with a handlebar mustache.  Who was the other husband?  It was a really funny show.  Sunday nights at 7, I think (yes, I need a life, desperately.  ;) ).

Roger C. Carmel -- Roger Buell (1967-1968)  
Richard Deacon -- Roger Buell (1968-1969)  
Kaye Ballard -- Kaye Buell  
Jerry Fogel -- Jerry Buell  
Deborah Walley -- Suzie Hubbard Buell  

Herbert Rudley -- Herb Hubbard  
Eve Arden  -- Eve Hubbard  

FJL

« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2005, 03:16:42 PM »

Useless trivia about THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW, which became a running joke at my school.  Everyone else on the show in its first year played characters with their own real-life first names, so the opening credits listed "Deborah Walley AS SUZIE."  So we started to append "AS SUZIE" to everything, as in Greta Garbo as Suzie, Bette Davis as Suzie, Rabbi Katz as Suzie,etc.  The Yeshivah of Flatbush was that kind of school.  (Well, we also argued over whether the life-size pullout of Donny Osmond in 16 Magazine was really life size, too, so the "as Suzie" thing was keeping in character.)

JMK

« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2005, 03:20:13 PM »

Roger C. Carmel, that was it.

I can tell you from first-hand Utahn experience that Donny Osmond is on the petite side.  My ex-brother-in-law was speech therapist to his two deaf brothers (no jokes, please--all right, go ahead).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »

Thank you DRs for all that information re Mothers-In-Law (mine is great - DP's stepmother). I don't think the series aried here but I was not much of a TV viewer in the late sixties.  My favourite years are still those of "77 Sunset Strip", "Adventures in Paradise", and "Ben Casey" etc. I didn't make it to the "Partridge Family", or "The Brady Bunch". I was still with "My Three Sons". The only shows I now watch are "Six Feet Under" (yet to have the new series) and, current viewing, the final series of "Spooks" aka "MI 5".

Video may have killed the radio star but Reality TV certainly buried TV for me.

The Dutch now have a pregnant woman (about to deliver)in their Big Brother show and are setting up a new show with a woman searching for a suitable sperm donor.

Yes I'm one of those "Get a Life" people advisors. The blurred lines between voyeuristic vicariously living and entertainment are a worry.  Yeah! I know horses and courses. Today's TV is keeping the DVD industry alive.

I don't rant very often.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »

I'm quite proud of myself. My hijacking of Adam 12 references to "Eve", has, thanks to DtM, been taken up and run with quite a way.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »

Strange, I never caught the connection between Carmel and Deacon before, playing the same role.

I met each of them, briefly.  Deacon was a regular at a bar/restaurant in West Hollywood called The Carriage Trade.  He was more than a little thrown by their softball team showing up one Sunday after the game, with the competing team (for which I was scorekeeper) in tow.

Carmel, on the other hand...er, let's just say that when I met him he was wearing a towel.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2005, 03:33:40 PM »

DR Tom - And if you'll notice, in my post above, I brought the "Eve" references all the way back to Bette Davis (totally by accident, though).  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2005, 03:34:09 PM »

And Donny Osmond as Suzie!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2005, 03:34:23 PM »

Sad to say but the only S & J show I have seen staged is "I Do I Do" (Rock Hudson). I've seen the TV version (Lee Remick).

I would love to see a production of "110".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »

DR Tom - And if you'll notice, in my post above, I brought the "Eve" references all the way back to Bette Davis (totally by accident, though).  :)
That's even further back than the Garden I think.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2005, 03:39:20 PM »

Of course I did make a half-hearted attempt to return to Adam with my earlier mention of "Adventures in Paradise". Also a "garden" reference to include both Adam and Eve.  I too need to get a life.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2005, 03:40:54 PM »

"Tarzan has an Australian choreography - hired because she knows the ropes.
James Thurber 1957

JMK

« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2005, 03:45:31 PM »

Of course I did make a half-hearted attempt to return to Adam with my earlier mention of "Adventures in Paradise". Also a "garden" reference to include both Adam and Eve.  I too need to get a life.

Well, wasn't GARDENer McKay the star of Adventures in Paradise?

It's a joke people, I know how to spell.  ;)

FJL

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2005, 03:48:18 PM »

These terrible jokes.  And to think that all day long, I'd been resisting using the expression "MOXIE-MORON" - using the word of the day - out of respect for the anti-groaning sensitivities of people on this board.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2005, 03:52:08 PM »

Well, wasn't GARDENer McKay the star of Adventures in Paradise?

It's a joke people, I know how to spell.  ;)
So my previous post was waste of time.  Forget subtle and cryptic Tomovoz!!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2005, 03:53:05 PM »

Of course I didn't even think of the Paradise connection - Just the Gardener.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2005, 03:54:30 PM »

These terrible jokes.  And to think that all day long, I'd been resisting using the expression "MOXIE-MORON" - using the word of the day - out of respect for the anti-groaning sensitivities of people on this board.  
Terrible jokes here?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »

A thought for the day:

Adam Troy's been to Paradise but he's never been to me.

Much laters...
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2005, 04:54:16 PM »

Greetings, all!

Well, before I left work today I turned over all but a couple of pieces of the grant proposal to our PR guy, who's supposed to take care of the other pieces, make the requisite number of copies, get the appropriate signatures, and FedEx the thing tomorrow.

As JRand would say, "Pray for Rosemary's Baby."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2005, 05:02:54 PM »

A thought for the day:

Adam Troy's been to Paradise but he's never been to me.

Much laters...

[g]-[r]-{o}-[a]-[n]

Ciao-ders

P.S.  Note the brackets I used above....note that the brackets around the "o" are different from the ones I placed on each side of the other letters.  Oddly enough, this forum won't allow those kinds of brackets around the "o"...they don't show up, and they force a "return".

Go figure!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 05:06:41 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Danise

« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2005, 05:09:22 PM »

Evening all!

I know this sounds mussy but if I could go back in time, I would like to take my Mom back so she could meet her Mother and see her Father again.  Her Mom passed away when she was about 2  and her Dad when she was about 6.

For myself, there are many points in time I would like to see but I would also like to go the future.  I know what HAS happened.  Let me see something new.   :D

VixMom, I cleaned my mailbox out.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2005, 05:14:05 PM »

Quote from: S. Woody White on Today at 03:42:20pm
People use the vehicles they feel comfortable with.  You're not going to get them to change their behaviors as easily as that.

For that matter, using public transportation is not an option in many areas, nor is carpooling.  (And I've been a long-term user of both, in the past.)  

We need to restructure our priorities, sure, but this includes several measures, not one rather silly protest (which will never happen, because not everyone will take part).  We need to have alternative ways of getting from one place to another.  We need to have alternate fuels.  And we need more refineries.  A large part of the reason gas costs so much is because we have a very limited ability to produce the gas in a usable form; the lack of refineries has created the bottleneck.  If we had more refineries, that bottleneck would be reduced (widened?), and the economic laws of supply and demand would kick in.  But the very people who are squawking the most about our current gas prices are also the people who have refused to allow newer, more cost efficient refineries to be built.  

Oh I agree.  I am not an SUV driver but I am driving a Ford stationwagon that only gets about 20 MPG,  I cannot possibly carpool or use public transportation with my job as I am constantly driving from place to palce to conduct closings

I have no objection to building new refineries  just NIMB  

Ah yes Hypocristy thy name is vixmom

Well, I have to laugh at my fate.  The first time I buy a new car and it's in the middle of a gas crunch.  Not only that but trade in my electric lawn mower andI buy one that's gas powered as well!    :D   How's THAT for timing!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up