News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: MOXIE  (Read 29823 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MOXIE
« on: August 29, 2005, 12:06:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know that this is the week that is, you've marveled at the depth of the notes (three leagues), and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to get some moxie before they do.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 01:50:32 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MOXIE
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 12:10:19 AM »

And the word of the day is: VITUPERATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 12:10:45 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

1 Adam 12, see the man.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:31:26 AM »

I remember watching "Adam 12," but I don't remember much except that my sister and I liked it.  We also watched the re-runs of "Dragnet"...or we might have watched "Dragnet 1967," but I don't remember that as a title.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 01:41:24 AM »

I know not Adam 12. Now on the other hand, Eve (Arden).... a favourite of my childhood viewing.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 01:44:45 AM »

TOTD.  Maybe San Francisco at the height of Flower Power.  Maybe 1900s New York - I'm very influenced by Doctorow's pen pictures of the time. The entertainments of the day would be my interest.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 05:29:42 AM »

A post before work as I sit here alone.

We made a mistake last night and decided to watch the film version of The Fantastiks. I don't know if anyone else here has seen it and if you like well more power to you and that's what makes horse races. I thought it was embarrasing. To quote a line from Grease "Whatta hunk a junk" or something to that effect. It was dreadful across the board. Bad acting, bad singing, bad adaptation of what was a lovely score, bad everything. I can't think of a good thing to say about it except that it was less than two hours long. I know that Mr Schmidt is a close personal friend of BK's but WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? Rant over.

I live in NY now but I would love to have been here during the 40s and 50s for more than just the theatre. I love NY (hey, maybe they could use that for an ad campaign ;-) and it would be great to see it during that "golden age".

Back to work.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 05:42:48 AM »

I know not Adam 12. Now on the other hand, Eve (Arden).... a favourite of my childhood viewing.

DR Tomovoz, have you ever seen any episodes of Eve's sitcom, The Mothers-In-Law (co-starring Kaye Ballard?)   I'll add that one to my DVD wish list.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 05:48:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late today, and I'm pondering what I need to do, what I can postpone, and how to play instead.

DRLaura, my goddaughter's school did MARVIN'S ROOM last year (why, god, why?).  It has light moments, a few funny ones, but I would call it a drama.  I've never seen the film so I know not how it compares to the play.  

DRBen, I like THE FANTASTICKS film more than you and I like the look of the film a lot.  Barney Hughes gives my favorite performance, and I like Joel Gray as well.  Jonathan Tunick, DRJose, and I talked about it at lunch last week.  I had been asked to submit a demo to the producer for the orchestration job, but I think they went with the right guy in Jonathan whose orchestrations are really beautiful.  I'm not sure I could get the harp and piano out of my ears.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 05:49:55 AM »

TOTD.  Maybe San Francisco at the height of Flower Power.  

That one is my second choice (maybe on a night when Big Brother and the Holding Company were playing at the Fillmore.)

My first choice would be NYC, sometime during the mid 50s.  I would do the Village during the day, and take in The Pajama Game at night. And then I'd head right back to the Village.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 06:11:20 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 05:59:11 AM »

TOD:

I think, I'd go  to New York in  the 40's, Los Angeles in the 20's, Los Angeles in the 40's-- and I'd stay.
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 06:33:47 AM »

I don't know if anyone else here has seen it and if you like well more power to you and that's what makes horse races.

Odd that you should mention a dvd I watched a couple of weeks ago and made this comment about:

Did a faux original cut of Michael Ritchie's THE FANTASTICKS tonight by viewing the deleted and/or extended songs and scenes in their proper chronological placement in the script (included the 1960 version of "The Rape Song"). Still stunned at how wonderful this particular film WOULD HAVE been, had it not been neglected by the studio for several years awaiting its contractual release. . .Francis Ford Coppola did the editing, and YEESH! the first thing he cuts is "Try to Remember!"
Someone should do a version with an option to watch the film as originally conceived, rather than the theatrical version, which, quite frankly, only deserves 2 and a half stars. . .
Very nice to hear the score augmented with an orchestra, and see the charismatic performances of all of the leads: Joel Grey, Barnard Hughes, Jean Louisa Kelly, Joe McIntyre, Jonathon Morris, Brad Sullivan and Teller.
Schmidt and Jones did a fine job with the screenplay, and the setting echoes Rodgers & Hammerstein's OKLAHOMA! having been filmed in the same area. . .Anyway, the film (as is stands on dvd) often works very well - "Soon It's Gonna Rain," "Much More," "Round and Round" and "This Plum is Too Ripe" - followed by Brad Sullivan's line, "I don't like people walking through my cornfields singing" - are all beautifully shot, sung and edited.

Decidely, a mixed bag.

When THE FANTASTICKS first arrived on dvd, I also reviewed it for dvdlaunch online . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 06:46:27 AM »

I guess I'm in the minority. I remember now your comments TD. We did watch some of the special features and I admit Anthony liked it more than I. Oh, well. I'm used to loathing many things while others around me are entertained. I remember when that stupid thing from South Africa about the coke bottle falling out of the airplane (can't remember the name of the movie) played for months and years at a theatre on the Upper East Side here in New York. Everyone raved about it and we went with friends. There were four of us. Three laughed and laughed and had wonderful things to say. Guess who didn't laugh and laugh. I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could flee the theatre. I also loathe, despise and abominate The Thief, The Cook, His Wife and the Lover (or whatever the movie is called). I find it to be an overated, overblown pretentious waste of celluloid but I, again, went with a group who loved it. Perhaps I am a curmudgeon after all. Oh, well. I can live with that. I've been called worse ;-) I guess I'm not getting enough sleep.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 06:48:43 AM »

Good Morning!

...And this is the morning that is... Where I myself might be heading back to bed in a few to grab an extra wink or two.  I heard a noise outside my window - I'm on the ground floor - around 5:00am.  I thought someone was trying to break in, but then realized it was someone digging through the recycling bins - I have bars on my windows.  I could hear the clinking and clanking on glass bottles, as well as the swoosh of cardboard boxes being dragged across the cement.  It took me about an hour to fall back asleep, so...  I'm a bit groggy right now.

Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 06:53:49 AM »

Perhaps I am a curmudgeon after all. Oh, well. I can live with that. I've been called worse ;-) I guess I'm not getting enough sleep.

DR Ben - Do you need a CPAP too?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 07:04:28 AM »

It's raining in the SuperDome right now...  :(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 07:06:42 AM »

On a related note...

Do any DRs happen to know if newscasters have to sign some sort of release and/or if the news organizations (parent companies) have special insurance policies for their employees who are sent out into the field during storms and other natural disasters?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 07:08:03 AM »

And have any DRs ever had MOXIE?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 07:08:16 AM »

I guess I'm in the minority. I remember now your comments TD. We did watch some of the special features and I admit Anthony liked it more than I. Oh, well. I'm used to loathing many things while others around me are entertained. I remember when that stupid thing from South Africa about the coke bottle falling out of the airplane (can't remember the name of the movie) played for months and years at a theatre on the Upper East Side here in New York. Everyone raved about it and we went with friends. There were four of us. Three laughed and laughed and had wonderful things to say. Guess who didn't laugh and laugh. I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could flee the theatre. I also loathe, despise and abominate The Thief, The Cook, His Wife and the Lover (or whatever the movie is called). I find it to be an overated, overblown pretentious waste of celluloid but I, again, went with a group who loved it. Perhaps I am a curmudgeon after all. Oh, well. I can live with that. I've been called worse ;-) I guess I'm not getting enough sleep.

Always boasting!   ;D

Actually, DRBen, I'm ambivalent about Peter Greenaway; I find his images and ideas provoking, but he can certainly be pretentious:  THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT (what the hell is going on?) and THE BELLY OF AN ARCHITECT are truly strange, and THE BABY OF MACON is quite cruel and disturbing.  However, THE COOK, THE THIEF . . . made me laugh, and it's truly grotesque.  But speaking of pretentious, I have no room to throw rocks.

When we recorded COLETTE COLLAGE, Harvey and Tom were working on the screenplay for THE FANTASTICKS and when I did MIRETTE with them at Goodspeed in 1999, they had just finished shotting it.  The film is not nearly so good as it could have been, but I do love the Boys, and perhaps it's my affection for Harvey and Tom that colors my enjoyment of the film, which I saw with them on the opening performance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 07:09:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 07:09:37 AM »

...I know I had a bottle a few years ago.  I was on tour and noticed it in the fridge case of a store.  Unfortunately, I don't remember anything specific about the taste of it.  Hmm... I bet there's a store somewhere in NYC that carries Moxie.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 07:11:13 AM »

And I'm not sure I've seen the word VITUPERATE... However, I have seen VITUPERATive in print many a times.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 07:13:10 AM »

And now I need to get some breakfast.... or head back to bed...  Hmm...

DR elmore - Are you really in the mood for playing hookie today?  I don't think I'll be heading down to DC until tomorrow morning now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2005, 07:13:19 AM »

I seem to remember that Moxie is similar to Doctor Pepper but I could be wrong. And isn't it also mostly a Southern Beverage? Why do I think that? Perhaps I saw it when I was touring the south with Sesame Street.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2005, 07:19:16 AM »

I seem to remember that Moxie is similar to Doctor Pepper but I could be wrong. And isn't it also mostly a Southern Beverage? Why do I think that? Perhaps I saw it when I was touring the south with Sesame Street.

Yep and Nope- It's actually a New England creation.  And like Dr. Pepper - and a lot of other carbonated beverages - it was originally formulated as a medicinal aid and not really a soft drink.

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 07:25:26 AM »

And now I need to get some breakfast.... or head back to bed...  Hmm...

DR elmore - Are you really in the mood for playing hookie today?  I don't think I'll be heading down to DC until tomorrow morning now.

DRJose, I'm dying to play hooky, but I have one number to finish for the cruise ship singer today so I can clear my desk for Faith Prince's arrangements.  Call me later.

I also need to finish up my work on the GOLDEN APPLE score to send it back to the copyist this week.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 07:26:25 AM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2005, 07:41:43 AM »

Good morning! Humidity is creeping back to the Southland, and I don't like it.

However, I can only tarry here a little it since I'm having lunch with a couple of friends and need to get ready soon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2005, 07:45:18 AM »

I thought the music was handled very well in the film of THE FANTASTICKS. I thought all the singing was above average actually. (Of course, "Try to Remember" could have been handled much better as far as its use in the movie, but I was really speaking of the voices.)

The film didn't work for me, though, as it just didn't have the magic of that small, slight stage show. I suppose if I had never seen it onstage, I might have liked it more. For me, though, I did have only an average experience with it.

I think I probably should watch it again, however. Maybe I can fit it in sometime this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2005, 07:47:01 AM »

I think I'd probably go back to Hollywood of the early teens seeing the fledgling movie companies get started with their open air sets and hand cranked cameras.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2005, 07:49:43 AM »

The new TV season gets underway tonight with Fox's two hour premiere of PRISON BREAK, a serialized drama on the order of '24.' I am not planning on watching it, but just a reminder for those who might have been interested.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2005, 07:52:33 AM »

I read the VARIETY review of the touring company of DR. DOLITTLE. It was decidedly mixed-to-negative.

The critic didn't like the book at all, didn't like the characterization of Emma Farifax as cold and aloof for much too long in the show (and thought the actress and Tom Hewitt had no chemistry together), and didn't feel there was any humor or anything particularly appealing for children (and the show is being hyped as a family musical.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up