Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SESSION  (Read 24856 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: IN SESSION
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 05:37:25 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »

Last night included one of those horrible moments.....that happen onstage.....

Mortimer and I are onstage with our Aunts - the Brewster sisters.  I give the cue line - and Officer O'Hara knocks on the door to start the next sequence.

Cue line.  No Knock.   You wait those few seconds for it - and then realize that the idiot has NO idea that he is supposed to be on.  You wait a few seconds more and you realize that your idiot stage manager is not on book or paying any attention, but is instead sitting at her laptop playing a game - as she has been all night - and that the rest of the cast is watching on the monitor and wondering why no one is talking.

We ad libbed a bit - I could NOT leave the stage.  And then Martha grabbed the hats from the table and said something about taking them into the kitchen - hopefully to find the fool.

An eternity later, dumb ass came in.....that kind of thing just takes my energy and really is hard for me to recover from.  We did....but we lost the audience.....who knew SOMETHING was wrong....oh well.....

What a horrible story, DR JRand59!  Break a leg tonight, and, for a souvenir of the production after the show, break the laptop over the stage manager's head.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:49 AM »

I remember seeing PRESSURE POINT when it first came out.  I recall liking it, but I've never seeing it a 2nd time.

Ernest Gold was once (briefly) a publicity client of mine.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2009, 06:13:22 AM »

Artist-wise, I'm a big fan of Al Hirschfeld.  I have 10 of his signed/numbered lithos in my house.

Hirschfeld was the mentor of Dave Woodman, the artist who did the caricatures in my ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD book. 
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2009, 06:20:55 AM »

Good morning!

It was fairly cool this morning, but tomorrow morning promises to be VERY cool, in the 50s which should feel wonderful. However, it's only for one morning, and the highs for all days are to be in the 80s so no relief from summer yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2009, 06:22:09 AM »

No work project today! Hooray! Hooray!!

It always feels wonderful to have the day completely free to do as I please and feel no pressure to get something watched and written up.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2009, 06:23:53 AM »

Because I couldn't stand that corded keyboard I was using yesterday, I broke down and got some regular AA batteries to use in the cordless keyboard while the rechargeable batteries are getting a fresh charge. I guess I'll keep these regular batteries up here for times when the other batteries run down (which they seem to do fairly quickly; only hold charge for a couple of weeks).

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 06:24:59 AM »

Don't really have any favorite artists of this century or the last. I like SELECTED works by Picasso and Dali, for example, but I also dislike other things they've done. So, I guess no artist stands out for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2009, 06:26:07 AM »

I recorded the rebroadcast of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES last night and watched about 10 minutes of it before deleting it. It's just not going to be for me. I hope others enjoy it.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 06:29:07 AM »

I have one more TARZAN film from the Warner Archives to watch: TARZAN AND THE SHE-DEVIL, and I may watch it at some point today. I have THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL on Blu-ray that I know will get watched at some point this weekend. I've been hankering to rewatch HELLO, DOLLY! again, so that may happen tonight.

And, of course, I will continue to watch a CASTLE episode each day and maybe some more Season Two NCIS, too.

Julie

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 06:51:01 AM »

Good morning all of you beautiful HHW DRs!

It's been a long time -- I am sorry!

DR elmore asked me to return to the board, and I promised him I would.

I really want to thank DRs elmore, Jose and FJL for coming to see the Clear Blue Tuesday premiere.  It meant so much to me that you were there.  I know each of you had a difficult schedule the past few days, without really convenient time to be able to attend, and yet you did anyway.  I really appreciate that.

And thank you very much also to DRs DAW, Jane, Ginny, Cilla, George and everyone who posted such supportive and lovely comments to me on facebook.  You are all great.

Julie

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 06:51:56 AM »

Ha!  It's been so long I don't even seem to have a working profile picture any more.  Hmmm.

edit:  Yay!  Figured out the problem   ;D 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:00:19 AM by Julie »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 06:55:05 AM »

My favourite artist of the twentieth century would probably be the great fantasy illustrator, Frank Frazetta.   I am also a fan of the illustrations of Joseph Clement Coll.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2009, 06:59:06 AM »

Good morning all of you beautiful HHW DRs!

It's been a long time -- I am sorry!

DR elmore asked me to return to the board, and I promised him I would.

I really want to thank DRs elmore, Jose and FJL for coming to see the Clear Blue Tuesday premiere.  It meant so much to me that you were there.  I know each of you had a difficult schedule the past few days, without really convenient time to be able to attend, and yet you did anyway.  I really appreciate that.

And thank you very much also to DRs DAW, Jane, Ginny, Cilla, George and everyone who posted such supportive and lovely comments to me on facebook.  You are all great.

DR Julie! I'm so happy to see you here. I look forward to talking to you about CLEAR BLUE TUESDAY wjen you come up for air yourself. You looked radiant and very happy on Thursday night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »

Here I am at Toyland. Midtown traffic today is fraught with road crews. I guess the Manhattan infrastructure is really breaking down this morning.

Julie

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2009, 07:01:48 AM »

Thanks, DR elmore!   ;D

Julie

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »

DR DAW posted a link to youtube video yesterday

It turned out to be a fun video of The Brady Bunch singing. I saw a link to two other videos. The first one was okay, but the second was for the song Time To Change. The poster began the video with such an offensive remark

Unfortunately It Was Only Robert Reed Who Died Of AIDS

For the first time on Youtube I flagged a video and complained about it.

I would like to see it off you tube. What it is sad is that people agreed with the comment and other posters were oblivious to it. (I know others will say that he has the right to say what he wants to say, but I also have the right to see it removed)

If you find it as offensive and insensitive as I do and you would like to complain to youtube by flagging it I will post the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV4hdjXJ2cw&feature=related

It is so sad that people still make jokes about AIDS. I would never wish it on everyone. I have known several people who died from complications due to AIDS. I still remember them.

Thank you for letting me vent.

That's disgusting.  I can't believe some of the awful things people think it's OK to say (or believe).
Good for you for reporting that person.  I think there are probably many of us on the board who lost people who were close to us because of AIDS related illnesses.

Julie

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »

Healing vibes to Callie and the kittens.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 07:18:47 AM »

I've been thinking about the TOD and I'm going for theatre designers. High on my list are Oliver Smith, whose work I've loved ever since opening the original foldout album of CAMELOT to see that elegant, gold set for the throne room ending Act One. Since then, i've seen lots of his work, from the national tour of HELLO DOLLY! to WEST SIDE STORY. I'm surprised no one's ever published a collection of his designs.

Here's his original design for the Rumble in WSS.

Julie

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 07:20:15 AM »

I can't help but think that if I had bothered to go grocery shopping yesterday when I should have, I would have something at home to make for breakfast today. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »

Then there's the great Alexandre Benois, Russian designer from the end of the 19th Century who designed up into the 1950s. One of his greatest design projects in the original Ballets Russe production of Stravinsky's PETRUCHKA. Here are two costume designs for PETRUCHKA:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:29:33 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2009, 07:22:11 AM »

And another PETRUCHKA costume:

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »

And the set for the first and last scene of the ballet

Julie

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2009, 07:23:44 AM »

bk - the new recording you're working on sounds wonderful.  One of my all time favorites is Brent's Kander & Ebb recording.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »

I also like the great English designer Oliver Messel. Here's his design for the film SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 07:30:14 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 07:27:23 AM »

And his design for Puss In Boots for the last act of the Royal Ballet's 1946 "Sleeping Beauty."

FJL

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »

Welcome  back, DR Julie!

Julie

« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2009, 07:37:28 AM »

Thank you, Freddie.    ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »

Here's a photo of the 1946 Royal Ballet production. There aren't enough Messel designs on line:

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2009, 07:54:14 AM »

My heart stopped for a second as the UPS pulled up on the side street. (UPS on a Saturday is rare but it does happen.) I just knew I'd have three or four TV box sets being left at my door.

He walked right by my house and went to my neighbor's house instead.

Whew! My free weekend is still on!

:D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up