Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: START SPREADIN' THE NEWS  (Read 23122 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:START SPREADIN' THE NEWS
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2006, 06:24:59 PM »

I don't see how they think this is going to impact anything, so I use more electricity and turn the furnace up earlier in the morning.   I thought the original intent was to give farmers more daylight later in the day to do work outside.  I think this is just a gesture that really has no impact

Actually, DST provides two benefits. First, by having more afternoon/early evening daylight, we reduce the afternoon energy peaks. (People use more energy for things like cooking, laundry etc. in the afternoon than they do in the mornings - best to do these things when there is no need for indoor lighting. Remember, it is energy peak loads that are significant, not total energy usage!) Second, the majority of juvenile crime is committed in the after school hours. Experience has shown a decrease in such crime when the daylight hours are extended.

der Brucer BSEE
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2006, 06:26:44 PM »

Yikes, gotta go get some Diet Coke.  :)

You mean, Diet Snapple?®
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2006, 06:28:16 PM »

...classes in Oral Communication...

A. Fishwifery
B. Yodeling (Alpine message relays)
C. Sexual gratification
D. All of the above?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »

DR EDISAURUS has a connection to Joanne Woodward.

Humph...well....she and Beverly Garland certainly have something in common.

Really? What is Joanne Woodward's connection to Beverly? Or does Beverly have a connection to me that I don't know about? I'm so confused!

Favorite lurid Beverly Garland movie: Swamp Diamonds

Joanne Woodward has donated a lot of money to restoration projects for our square and local theatres. She is extremely generous!

I worked with her on a video for the Carter Center, for a mental health initiative by Rosalynn Carter. She hosted a program about overcoming the stigma of depression. The speakers were Rod Steiger and Cathy Cronkite---Walter's daughter, who had just written a book on the topic.
Rod Steiger's speech was very powerful as he described in great detail how he had planned his suicide but never went through with it.

Pore Jud is daid!  :'(
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2006, 06:46:39 PM »

You mean, Diet Snapple?®

BK Drinks Diet Coke. Necessary to have it on hand if he is visiting

Edisaurus

« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »

BK Drinks Diet Coke. Necessary to have it on hand if he is visiting

Ah, but I thought his throat doctor recommended Diet Snapple!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »

...Joanne Woodward...I worked with her on a video for the Carter Center, for a mental health initiative by Rosalynn Carter. She hosted a program about overcoming the stigma of depression. The speakers were Rod Steiger and Cathy Cronkite---Walter's daughter, who had just written a book on the topic.
Rod Steiger's speech was very powerful as he described in great detail how he had planned his suicide but never went through with it....
Personally, I find the best way to overcome the stigma is by talking about it, honestly and without shame.  It startles people at first, but then they reveal that they know someone, usually someone close to them, who lives with depression.  And they appreciate the openness.

Another part of the life of a grocery cashier!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »

Ah, but I thought his throat doctor recommended Diet Snapple!

oops! Must have missed that

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2006, 06:58:55 PM »

Time to get dinner on the table, with a Normandy flair tonight - roast chicken, apples sauteed with cream and thyme, and 'taters.  (The sauce for the apples will also sauce the chicken!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2006, 07:24:06 PM »

I've changed rooms - I almost was going to stay put (the new room is about four inches bigger, but doesn't have a stall shower - just the usual bath shower), but the other room had a persistent "hum" coming from somewhere and I knew that I wouldn't be able to sleep with it.  So, I'm on the fifth floor instead of the sevent - the hotel only has seven floors.

Would that make it the idiot sevent?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »

Favorite lurid Beverly Garland movie: Swamp Diamonds

Wow, now I know that I am not the only person who has seen this movie...of course I know it from it's alternate title SWAMP WOMEN!

And I think the Beverly Garland/Joanne Woodward connection is...JRand is NOT  fan of either one! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2006, 07:36:10 PM »

Edisaurus

« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2006, 07:37:31 PM »

Wow, now I know that I am not the only person who has seen this movie...of course I know it from it's alternate title SWAMP WOMEN!

And it was a good enough film to get the Mystery Science Theatre 3K treatment, too!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 07:41:42 PM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2006, 07:44:46 PM »

Swamp Diamonds !

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2006, 07:46:37 PM »

And it was a good enough film to get the Mystery Science Theatre 3K treatment, too!

I liked taht program...

I remember The Blob also
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2006, 08:20:53 PM »

Have gotten through Eileen Heckart's experience with A FAMILY AFFAIR. Looking forward to comments about UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE, if any. I loved that movie and her in it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »

Got some Diet Coke for BK's visit, forgot about the need for Diet Snapple.  

BK sang through one of the songs from Last Starfighter, and sounded really great.  Can't wait until the first rehearsal tomorrow afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2006, 08:24:48 PM »

Watched two more GREY'S ANATOMY episodes. The first, the Thanksgiving episode, I had seen before (one of the first GREY'S episodes I ever watched). However, on the DVD, it is the first one of four expanded episodes.

I honestly couldn't see any extra scenes or scenes with extra footage tacked in them somewhere. It's a fine episode, but the Dad-George talk in the trauma room still bothers me. Very one-sided and, at least from what we saw of his family in this episode, not really accurate, yet George didn't actually defend himself against the charges his dad was making at him.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »

The second episode I watched tonight I hadn't seen. Actually, more enjoyable than the Thanksgiving episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2006, 08:28:59 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES:

spoiler space

1. I LOATHE the character of Nora. I despised her when she was introduced at the end of last season, and this feeling of contempt for her has only gotten worse.

2. The Gabrielle storyline also irritated me mightily tonight. Sniping and complaining and just not funny.

3. As was usual for most of last season, Bree carries the show with this new (dangerous) relationship.

4. For a change, Susan didn't irritate me and actually started a sweet story of her own. Will look forward to seeing how this transpires.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2006, 08:29:38 PM »

Only if performed by Wendy Carlos (Clockwork Orange)

der Brucer

I used to see Wendy at parties; one of the homeliest transexuals ever!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS

spoiler space

Didn't grip me much. Yes, I'll continue watching for awhile, but none of the character engaged me very much, and the first half hour was talky, talky, talky to the point of ennui. Things settled down a bit in the second half and let us get to know the brothers and sisters a bit more slowly and in depth.

But I think this is going to have to get A LOT better to capture the kind of fanatical audience that developed so quickly for GREY'S ANATOMY. I have a feeling instead of building on the audience level of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, B&S probably lost audience.

Edisaurus

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »

Goodnight all...see you anon!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #203 on: September 24, 2006, 08:40:55 PM »

Good night, Edisaurus.  I just got back from my sister's where we had spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner.  We also had a almond/marzipan(?) coffee cake for dessert.  Delish!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »

Back from a lovelier than lovely evening with Skip, Fred, Jose, and elmore.  What fun we all had.  We dished much dirt and we laughed and laughed and just when we thought we could laugh no more, we lauged again.  I'm back in my "room" - they could make a musical out of this room - The Bed And I.    I picked up a Diet Snapple on the way home, and tomorrow morning shall go buy a nice pair of running shoes for running.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

I've had a wonderful day, very long but quite wonderful.  I accomplished some things at the recording office, then wandered up to 26th street for the band rehearsal for NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  The cellist had done a cabaret act I arranged in 2002 and remembered me; I remembered her excellent playing but not the face.

The rehearsal was long but good.  The percussion part was originally a lot of instruments - vibes, bells, timpani, maracas, cymbals, wind chimes, bell tree, whip police whistle - and very little drum writing.  Because of the space, the vibes, bells, and timpani are being played on a keyboard.  It took about 45 minutes to get the keyboard operating well, and we rehearsed from 1-5:30.  After that, I had an hour with my script and score for THER BRAIN FROM PLANET X, and then dinner with our DR Jose, BK, FJL, and Skip.  Colin and Tomovoz were invited but they passed since they had to be up early for their train.  Skip's dinner was excellent as usual, and our DR Jose and BK were in good form.

Skip told me about Patrick Quinn's death; I met him in 1986 when he played the Noel Coward role opposite Rebecca Luker's Princess in the premiere of my restoration of Cole Porter's JUBILEE.  I last worked with him on THE BOYS FROM SYTRACUSE for Encores!  He was a kind man, unconventionally handsome, a wonderful actor and singer with a good sense of humor.  I didn't know him well but I liked hiom and admired him.  I am sorry to know that I will never work with him again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: September 24, 2006, 08:46:45 PM »

Heading for bed now.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #207 on: September 24, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »

Isn't Jane getting her new furry buddy this weekend?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: September 24, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »

Some psychophant sycophant or other (for which, it is said, this site is renown) will no doubt post a link from which the unwary can purchase same.

KimmelKrud

der Brucer

Note to bk: hacking wears ooops, wares, would be facilitated if one could link to photoimages on the site.

Well, at least there is a link for the DVD cover to "Deceit."  Click HERE to see the picture.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 08:50:58 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: September 24, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »

Well gang, I'm going to try to get some sleep.  I forgot about those auditions tomorrow night. I can still do them, but that means I need to get to work early and focus on writing. So, I must be off to bed.   Night.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up