Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DROWSY BK  (Read 34564 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE DROWSY BK
« Reply #240 on: November 22, 2005, 07:20:11 PM »

I have only read through page two today & its time for me to say goodnight.  

Lucky for everyone I don’t have it in me to post a long rant regarding our kitchen remodel before I leave.  Bruce, if you will do one of your posts regarding the incompetence of people, that will pretty much cover it.     ::)

Ginny

« Reply #241 on: November 22, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »

Jane - I'm sorry things aren't going well on the kitchen project.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »

Kitchen vibes for DRJANE.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:04 PM »

Sandra Shaw aka Rocky - plays the woman that Kong pulls out of a hotel room....then realizing it is NOT Ann Darrow, drops her.

Shaw married Gary Cooper in 1933 and was widowed in 1961 when he died.  She was also the California Women's Skeet Shooting Champion, the niece of Cedric Gibbons, and the daughter of the Governor of the New York Stock Exchange.   But she was dropped by Kong!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:23 PM »

Still no snow DR GINNY.

Ginny

« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:52 PM »

Signing off for tonight.  I have one day, tomorrow, to whip our house into shape to host a Thanksgiving celebration for 14.  Yikes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2005, 07:42:15 PM »

the niece of Cedric Gibbons,

So it was probably she who picked up the empty Vodka bottles thrown over the fence.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2005, 07:44:33 PM »

I was in the 8th grade in 1963.  After our lunch during history class things were very strange.  Our teacher Mr. Marksbury told us just to read the chapter and kept leaving the room and coming back in.

The next period was my English class, and Mrs. Stuck, who was probably all of 23, was not at her desk when the class started.  She came in a few minutes later and she was crying.  She told us to study and she also went in and out of the room.

The last period was Science with Mr. Alexander.  After the bell rang, Karla Doty who had a transistor radio raised her hand.  She said: "Mr Alexander, somebody said they shot the President.  Is that true?"

Mr Alexander could barely speak, but he said"  "There will be an announcement in a moment."

Our principal came on the intercom and announced that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas that afternoon and was dead.  School would be dismissed immediately.  We went out and got onto the school bus....no one talked.  And all weekend we watched TV.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2005, 07:45:19 PM »

So it was probably she who picked up the empty Vodka bottles thrown over the fence.   ;D

No doubt!  :o

She probably heard a few choice words as well!  ;D

Jason

« Reply #249 on: November 22, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »

Just in from the screening of "Rent." I'll hold off on my review until later - after it has officially opened across the country.

DR Jack: I apologize if I ticked you off today - I really didn't mean to. I normally would do this in a private message, but the offending post was public, so I wanted to apologize publicly. You know I love you more than my luggage... ;)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #250 on: November 22, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »

I was at home sick the day Kennedy was shot. I had gotten up to get something from the kitchen and heard a lot of commotion from the den where the TV was. My mom asked me to go in the room to see what all the noise was about. I paused at the den door just long enough to hear it was about the President, and I told her the President had been in some kind of accident. Didn't find out until later that day what had actually happened since I went right back to bed.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: November 22, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »

The DVD I pulled off the already watched shelf was THE EDGE. This was mastered during Fox's early years in DVD production when they weren't doing enhanced transfers for any films, so naturally it is softer and less impressive than it should have been. It looks OK for a transfer this old and non-anamorphic, but it's definitely a movie that could use an updating, one I'm sure it will never get.

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: November 22, 2005, 08:14:20 PM »

An enjoyable episode of BONES tonight with one of those working-against-a-clock scenarios that are always fun. And the show provided a nice twist, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: November 22, 2005, 08:16:35 PM »

My goodness! The writers for HOUSE must comb the world for these rare diseases! And the stories of father and son were naturally interesting since the son was suffering from full blown AIDS though that was NOT the cause of his problems. (All of this infomration given in the first five minutes of the show.) I liked it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #254 on: November 22, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »

No doubt!  :o

She probably heard a few choice words as well!  ;D

"Where's my f***ing money, Harold?. . .Harold?. . ."  [sound of birds twittering and a fence shutting].
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #255 on: November 22, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »

LAW & ORDER: SVU had a disturbing case involving a pregnant teenager beaten severely which, once again for this show, turned out to be only one of the things addressed in the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #256 on: November 22, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »

And over the next day or two, I'll have both SUPERNATURAL and MY NAME IS EARL/THE OFFICE to enjoy.

Matt H.

« Reply #257 on: November 22, 2005, 08:25:26 PM »

Well, I'm putting myself to bed a little earlier tonight. I have an 8 a.m. dental check-up and cleaning tomorrow, and that hour will come very fast.

Good night, all.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2005, 08:34:32 PM »

Does anyone remember what he or she was doing 42 years ago today (assuming you were alive and aware of your surroundings)?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/kennedy/kennedy-assassination-22.htm

I just barely remember that day--I was five years old.  I remember my dad was home from work for some reason.  And I remember him sitting and listening intently to this red table radio we had.  I remember my mom coming down the stairs and my dad telling her that the president had been shot and then they both sat down and listened to the radio and that kind of freaked me out a little because they both never sat down and listened to the radio like that.  And then I remember my one sister coming home from school and wondering why my parents were just listening to the radio instead of watching the TV.  And then once she turned it on, I don't remember it being turned off for the entire following week.  I remember my oldest sister coming home from school crying because the nuns would not let anyone go home and made all the students get on their knees and pray in the classrooms.  I remember my mother crying and my dad holding her.  I remember my aunts and uncles coming over, the women gathering in the kitchen, the men smoking and drinking beer in front of the TV.  I remember a lot of crying in church that Sunday.  

For myself, I think it was the first time that I was aware that there was such a person as the president.  And I quickly learned that there were vice-presidents and widows and children of murdered presidents and even murdered murderers.  New words and new information blurted themselves into my little head and I would from that point understand that there were things--big things!-- going on outside of my little world of family and friends.  

I feel like I've diverted into narrating my own version of THE WONDER YEARS.  Ick...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2005, 08:42:21 PM »

Actually, I just realized--I was only four years old.  My fifth birthday wouldn't come until about a month later.  Talk about long term memory...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2005, 08:54:41 PM »

Well, I did stop at Target tonight, but I wound up not making any of my expected DVD purchases.  I found out that there were double-disc versions of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, THE POLAR EXPRESS and KING KONG (the last actually coming in a tin box.)  I suddenly felt overwhelmed and confused and suffered from consumer burnout.  I came straight home and opened up a bottle of George Duboeuf's New Wine for 2005 to calm my nerves.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2005, 09:02:07 PM »

Well, I did stop at Target tonight, but I wound up not making any of my expected DVD purchases.  I found out that there were double-disc versions of THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, THE POLAR EXPRESS and KING KONG (the last actually coming in a tin box.)  I suddenly felt overwhelmed and confused and suffered from consumer burnout.  I came straight home and opened up a bottle of George Duboeuf's New Wine for 2005 to calm my nerves.

This will be quite a December for you I fear, young man!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2005, 09:02:33 PM »

DR JASON - no apology necessary!  :)  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2005, 09:03:23 PM »

Yes THE CARDINAL is a Warner Bros DVD, not a Criterion set.  I don't know why I assumed it was Criterion.....  A bargain for me anyway!

I think I will watch some of STATE FAIR now.

Tomovoz

« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2005, 09:10:58 PM »

Speaking of operatic voices, have you yet heard the group called "Il Divo"?
"Il Divo" were "big" here last year - as they were in the UK.
(ie before their American publicity tour).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2005, 09:12:58 PM »

42 years ago I was in a hospital bed having just had my nasal septum straightened. I guess my parents hoped that everything else would follow automatically.  LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »

I'm back from the 9:30 showing of PRIDE & PREJUDICE, which was fine, except my feelings are colored by the worst ever nadir experience at a Loew's complex:  I bought the tickets on Sunday, and the tickets said the showing was in the "Olympia" on the top floor.  Charlotte and I were seated in an empty theatre by 9:15 enjoying our company and snacks.  When we got to the Olympia, the sign above the door did not say PRIDE & PREJUDICE at 9:30, it said something was showing at 12:05 am, so I asked an employee walking by if we were at the right place.  The person said we were at the right theatre so we went in.

At 9:30 the lights dimmed and for 5 minutes I watched "Loew's Cineman" flash on and off the screen.  I went out to the concession stand and inquired about the film.  The clerk said the movie would be starting shortly and my bitchy reply was that it was already late.  So, Charlotte and I watched the flashing Loew's Cinema logo for another couple of minutes and I went back out yelling for a manager.  The concession clerks were angry that I was disturbing their partying, and I finally accosted a young man and insisted on seeing a manager.  He founda lady who took my tickets, went to a computer, told me the theatre had changed, and the film had already started in a theatre in the fucking basement!  

We got to the theatre, which was packed, missed the opening minutes and sat in the damned second row at the side so everything was distorted by the perspective.  Everything about the film was colored by my entire experience under the helpful employees of Loew's.  On the bright side, after the film I asked at the box office for a manager, bitched him out and got four free passes.  I think it might be a good film.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:16:39 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2005, 09:53:53 PM »

Dear TCB - you just keep getting younger with each passing year!  You're already younger than springtime. . .what happens in the fall?   ;)

Like many of us, he probably "tries to remember the kind of
September...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #268 on: November 22, 2005, 09:55:32 PM »

42 years ago today I was bumbling around in my mom's tummy trying to figure out if it was time to pop out yet!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #269 on: November 22, 2005, 09:58:52 PM »

All right...I'm going to have to 'fess up.

I admit it freely.  I'm totally out on the topic!

I watch NBC's "The Biggest Loser"...and I ENJOY IT!

Some of these people are thoroughly transformed, physically, by their experiences on this show.  It's amazing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up