Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIDAY THE 13TH  (Read 51834 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FRIDAY THE 13TH
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:18 PM »

What a long, long day this was.  I had some supper after rehearsal, then came home and watched a wonderful motion picture on DVD.  Now I am relaxing at the keyboard, oh, yes, I am relaxing at the keyboard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2007, 09:59:41 PM »

Without so much as a flick of the wrist - page fifteen.

singdaw

« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2007, 10:01:50 PM »

It looks like you can buy Violet Crumbles online...$25.00 for 24 count.  Hmm....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »

Craig, Iowa, goes nuts
Testicle festival challenges stomachs with the other, other white meat
By WEEKENDER STAFF | 07.12.07  
“Put what in my mouth?” is something that will probably be overheard Saturday in Craig, Iowa, a Plymouth County town of 89 residents.

What began as a joke at the local bar has grown into a festival attracting up to 700 people to the town northwest of Le Mars, Iowa.

If you castrate it, people will come, as the residents of Craig have learned over the past six years at the annual Test Fest, short for Testicle Festival.

The Saturday event features a parade, a queen contest, softball tournament, hanging of Christmas decorations and n the biggie n a feed of the delicacy called Rocky Mountain oysters.

Wait … a Test Fest queen? Yep, and in 2006 the honor was bestowed upon Rhonda Grasz.

“It’s the biggest fundraiser for the city,” Grasz said. “It’s a lot of fun.”

As reigning queen, Grasz will lead the three- to four-block parade at 5:30 p.m., sporting the Test Fest tiara and sash. She’ll then circle back to crown the new queen and cheer her on as she rides regally through downtown Craig.

“The testicles are darn good,” said Karen Paulsen, a Craig resident.

“It’s a meaty taste,” added Kelly Plueger. “I’ve had them for years. I grew up on a farm.”

“I’ve been here five years and I’ve never tried them,” said Bailey Otto. “I’m way too shy.”

The meal follows the parade, which follows the softball tournament. A street dance wraps up the celebration.

But before calling the folks in Craig crazy, it’s wise to know that testicle festivals are not all that uncommon.

Rocky Mountain oysters, prairie oysters, Montana tendergroin or swinging sirloin are all culinary names given to bull testicles. It’s a well-known novelty dish in parts of the American west and the Canadian prairies where cattle ranching dominates. The dish in most commonly served at festivals, such as the many that are held annually in Montana and Phoenix, Ariz. Eagle, Idaho, claims to have the “World’s Largest Rocky Mountain Oyster Feed” during its Eagle Fun Days festival in June.

Craig’s all-volunteer festival collects donations which fund a variety of projects throughout town. Test Fest funds, for example, paid for supplies to Sheetrock and insulate the interior of the Craig shelterhouse. Test Fest proceeds helped pay for new playground equipment, bought lumber for renovated picnic tables and allowed residents to buy new Christmas decorations.

“We hung the Christmas decorations on the street lights last year during our Test Fest, so people could see how we were using the money,” DeBoom said.

What does the future hold for the Test Fest? DeBoom said the committee would like to build a massive city grill for the 2008 festival, a unique Siouxland celebration that seems to be growing year by year.

So, how does one become

Test Fest royalty?

“Three guys got this whole thing started seven years ago, and they don’t want their names out,” said Rhonda Grasz, reigning Test Fest Queen. “They decide on that day who gets to be queen. Usually, it’s someone who helps out quite a bit.”

Grasz helps the testicle cause by storing donated calf fries in her freezer throughout the year. “Right now my freezer is full of them,” she said.

Added Connie DeBoom, one of the event organizers, “The Rocky Mountain oysters are saved by our local veterinarians. It started as a joke in the local bar.”

Grasz also helps prepare testicles for the feed, which runs from 6:30 to 9 p.m. The tasty morsels (or so we are told) mostly come from cattle, are thawed, breaded and fried. Organizers also roast four hogs for those who prefer more traditional fare. Craig residents make salads, too.

The details

What: Craig Test Fest

When: All day, Saturday, July 14. Testicle feed begins at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Downtown Craig, Iowa

Cost: Donations are accepted

They are also called Prairie Oysters up here..... Oh yes, a group on campus serves them up as a fundraiser in the fall

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »

There is a complete moron on one of those theater chatboards, already shilling for a NYMF show.  He began last week by posting that he was excited that Donald McKayle was doing a show at NYMF, Roller Derby.  I thought it suspicious, and tonight it was proven - he posted about three times today, first saying how excited he was that Donald McKayle was doing Roller Derby, then that again, and then, with complete hubris he posted "Does anyone know what Donald McKayle is up to these days?"  I've answered him, and I will, I'm afraid, be there every time he posts to answer him with merriment and mirth and laughter and legs.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2007, 10:02:30 PM »

Cherry Ripe?? I am not familiar with them
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

3DDiffusion

« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2007, 10:02:35 PM »

We can get Yorkie bars in Fargo.

How about... I think they're called Pastiche?  Pistachio nuts in chocolate....my favorite candy bar of all time. For two reasons. One they taste great, the other, brings back a lot of nostalgia as I first found them in London's West End, while waiting to see The Mousetrap.

Many years ago...even though it's still running!
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »

FJL, what did you think of the Milla package?  You got off the phone so fast I didn't ask - and what did she think?  I think it's pretty classy, myself.

singdaw

« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2007, 10:03:38 PM »

I've answered him, and I will, I'm afraid, be there every time he posts.

He doesn't know who he's dealing with!

singdaw

« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

then came home and watched a wonderful motion picture on DVD.

Oh, my wallet!  The Page Turner is working its way to me through Amazon as we post...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »

Thanks DR edisaurus.  I'm sure that Cherry Ripe bars are available somewhere here in NYC.  I probably just "forget" each time I look for them as soon as I see Crunchie, York, Malteasers, Flake, Aero, etc., etc., etc.

I like Malteasers....

I am curious about Cherry Ripe. A gal on a soap board that is from oz sent me TimTams.... Very addictive!

You cannot eat just one of them!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2007, 10:06:22 PM »

They also sell Clotted Cream in fargo....

FJL

« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:25 PM »

BK - You sounded tired, so I didn't want to keep you on the phone.  I could have gabbed and gabbed about how great it looks.  And boy, it sounds wonderful!

Milla was just beside herself with joy (not DR Noel's Joy, of course :) ) when I spoke to her.  She hadn't listened to this final version when I spoke to her, but I'm sure she has by now.  But it's too late to call her right now.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:45 PM »

How about... I think they're called Pastiche?  Pistachio nuts in chocolate....my favorite candy bar of all time. For two reasons. One they taste great, the other, brings back a lot of nostalgia as I first found them in London's West End, while waiting to see The Mousetrap.

Many years ago...even though it's still running!

I will check when I go this weekend. The local grocery store is now offering more international fare....

If they offered TimTams I would be a very happy camper.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »

Singdaw, areyou in the NYC area?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »

Tom, do they have clotted cream in Oz?

singdaw

« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2007, 10:12:45 PM »

Singdaw, areyou in the NYC area?

About a 30 minute train ride to the northern suburbs.

singdaw

« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:46 PM »

Going to try to get back to sleep now...

Smooches, kids!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:02 PM »

In Connecticut?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:25 PM »

Tired?  Moi?  I am beside myself with joy.  Just what joy is doing here this time of night is anyone's guess.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

Will we never get to page sixteen?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »

Pleasant dreams singdaw!

singdaw

« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »

In Connecticut?

Westchester County, New York

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:03 PM »

I will single-handedly take us to page sixteen.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #444 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:21 PM »

ahh.....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #445 on: July 13, 2007, 10:17:03 PM »

It has been quite the frenzy this evening...

FJL

« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

Joie de Viv - my new book about the joy of being Viviian Vnace

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #447 on: July 13, 2007, 10:17:23 PM »

Anyone remember Hires rootbeer?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #448 on: July 13, 2007, 10:17:28 PM »

I printed out a copy of the book in book format - it looks very nice.  I proofed the first three pages and found a few things (just stuff from the book being reformatted, not additional spelling or grammar things).  I suspect I'll find many more, and I've already found things that will add a page or two to the book.

Tomovoz

« Reply #449 on: July 13, 2007, 10:17:38 PM »

Clotted cream is available but I don't think through supermarkets etc. I think there is some regulation that prohibits the sale. (Due to the "nature" of the product). I associate it with Clotted Cream Teas in England's West Country - Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Summerset.
Here they are "devonshire teas".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up