Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE  (Read 25837 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2005, 01:21:19 PM »

Okay, technophiles.

I am getting no sound from the two front speakers of my 5.1 home theater system.  The connections are sound, I checked the receiver & the speakers.

When I play a CD in my DVD player - I get nothing when I play it on the MUSIC setting, but I get sound from my CENTER and my two rear Surround Speakers.

Could it be because I am using connectors that are red & white and have a third yellow connection that is not connected to anything?  If I get a "Y" connector that connects to just the red and white inputs on the receiver will I get sound from my two front speakers?

The unused yellow connector would have no effect if neither end is connected to anything.

Is the CD a stereo CD or a mono CD?

Why are you using the music setting on the receiver? Why not used the normal surround mode (which should filter the sound through a Dolby Prologic reading). When you start using those advanced surround settings (like music or concert hall or the like), the receiver filters the sound it's getting in weird ways.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2005, 01:23:09 PM »

It's all about assonance.

Don't jump the gun, td: "assonance" is tomorrow's Word of the Day!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »

Don't jump the gun, td: "assonance" is tomorrow's Word of the Day!

der Brucer

We shall see what DRs tomovoz and TCB have to say about that.   :-X
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »

Page 5 Dance !!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2005, 01:29:50 PM »

I watched three very different things this afternoon.

First up was THE RAINMAKER. Paramount did definitely do a bang up job with this transfer. I only noticed the fewest little speckles midway through the film, but otherwise, I've never seen it looking this bright, sharp, and colorful. Also, this is the first time I've ever seen the film in the proper aspect ratio. I never saw it at the theater, only on TV, so this was a first, and a very enjoyable one at that.

Yes, Hepburn is miscast, but she certainly acts the fool out of it nevertheless, and the entire ensemble is first rate. I had a corking good time with the movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2005, 01:30:06 PM »

Yes that is quite the re-creation of the past isn't it, DRGINNY.  Only was there once, but it was like stepping back in time - except for the prices!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »

Is "I was a tv series" an example? :-*

der Brucer

I know my grammar, I just can't type!  That should have been "I saw"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2005, 01:33:50 PM »

Next was STAR TREK - Episode 13 from the first season of the original season. Funny how the cast wasn't in place yet. No Sulu at all, Scotty doesn't make an appearance (despite there being a transporter room scene and scenes in engineering), and Uhura sings a complete song with lute accompaniment.

Despite the age of these shows, the color really is quite rich. They certainly never looked or sounded this good on our 25" Admiral color TV back in the day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2005, 01:34:27 PM »

Using just the MUSIC setting puts the sound through the two front speakers.  And I get NOTHING.  But putting it on 3-way or Pro-Logic takes the CD sound through the three other speakers.

Tried everything....nothing is muted, BUT NO SOUND EVER ON ANY SETTING FROM ANY SOURCE ON THOSE TWO SPEAKERS.

Maybe I blew a fuse in the receiver or something.  Oh well....I have CENTER and SURROUND in the back....so that's better than nothing.  And I changed the position of the television/vcr/vcr/DVD/surround receiver sets so it's more convenient, and everything is dusted.  So it wasn't a total loss.

Thanks for the help, though!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »

I finished the afternoon with Friday night's MONK episode. Not much of a mystery this time out, but I had a couple of laugh out loud moments including Monk picking up the strewn flowers at a wedding after the flower girl drops them and Monk offering a wipe to the bride and groom after they messily exchange cake at the reception.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »

Using just the MUSIC setting puts the sound through the two front speakers.  And I get NOTHING.  But putting it on 3-way or Pro-Logic takes the CD sound through the three other speakers.

Tried everything....nothing is muted, BUT NO SOUND EVER ON ANY SETTING FROM ANY SOURCE ON THOSE TWO SPEAKERS.

Maybe I blew a fuse in the receiver or something.  Oh well....I have CENTER and SURROUND in the back....so that's better than nothing.  And I changed the position of the television/vcr/vcr/DVD/surround receiver sets so it's more convenient, and everything is dusted.  So it wasn't a total loss.

Thanks for the help, though!

I'm assuming you've tried multiple CDs. Have you tried a movie with 5.1 sound to see if you're getting sound if a Dolby Digital signal is being passed through the receiver?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2005, 01:41:03 PM »

I know my grammar, I just can't type!  That should have been "I saw"

Next you'll be telling me all those piccolos in "Fine and Dandy" should have been sousaphones! 8)

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »

I recorded HOUSE OF BAMBOO off the FMC. I didn't buy the DVD from the Fox Noir series since I had never seen it before and didn't want to make a blind purchase before viewing. I plan to watch that tonight before the series finale of SIX FEET UNDER.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2005, 01:42:39 PM »

Series finale of SIX FEET UNDER? Hardly seems possible that the moment has finally arrived. I am NOT a happy camper.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »

I wonder if bk is up for the "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari "remake due soon.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »

I've got a load of laundry in the dryer, so I'm going to have to tend to that now. Will be back later.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2005, 01:47:52 PM »

Just being lazy today.  I read through the latest short story, made some fixes and a few little additions, then read through the one I wrote before it - I'm very happy with both of them, and between them they're about eighty-five pages worth.

td

• td
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2005, 01:54:45 PM »

After cooking lunch (Philly Steak Hoagies) and having dinner already in the oven, I attempted to watch the dvd of BEYOND THE SEA.  It's as bad as I had expected it to be; Spacey is so wrong, the script is so wrong, ONLY the musical arrangements are right and for that I can listen to the real Bobby Darin AND I WILL.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2005, 02:00:20 PM »

Thoughts from Yesterday:

vixmom posted:

Yesterday bk said that Princesses includes references to girls waxing their bottoms.... why oh why ?!

vixmom, I don't know what's worse - the fact that they make the reference in Princesses, or the fact that some girls DO that.  I mean, what has the world come to when early teen girls have to wax ANYTHING.

In answer to the first question - if one opts to go skinny-snowboarding, but forgot the snowboard, a waxed butt would make a speedy down-hill ride.

On the second issue: those of us with non-Mediterranean sensibilities find public below the neck displays of body hair unattractive in females of any age.  I suspect most parents would support a young teen using a razor on legs and pits where needed. If a young lady in an appropriate bathing suit is showing hair, waxing should be an option. (She might as well get in practice for post-menopausal upper-lip waxing :-\)

I'm sure the parents who provide "Classical Nosed" 13 year olds gifts of a Rhinoplasty would not hesitate offering a very hirsute teen a day of waxing at the spa.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2005, 02:02:25 PM »

After cooking lunch (Philly Steak Hoagies)

I pray you don't use Velveeta!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2005, 02:24:57 PM »

I've read the notes but I haven't read any of the posts, but here goes anyway:

I went to sleep last night earlier than usual so that I could wake up early this morning to take my friend Margo and her kids to the airport because they're all going to Hawaii for 10 days!  Well, I went to bed but it took me more than an hour to get to sleep.  I hate it when that happens...and it usually doesn't.  But, sleep I eventually did.  I got up at the appointed time and was at Margo's house in time and we all got to the airport on time.  That's a very good thing.

For my birthday this year (back in May), Margo gave me a $10 gift card for Trader Joe's and there's one in Federal Way, about 10 miles south of the airport.  Since Olympia is 54 miles south of the airport, I was able to stop at Trader Joe's and use my card and not make a special trip 45 miles north of where I live.  The problem was that I got to Trader Joe's at 7:30 in the morning and they don't open until 9:00 in the morning.  So, I drove across the parking lot to Coco's and had breakfast.  I had a three-cheese omelet, hash browns and two pancakes.  All quite good.  That took up about just under an hour, so I drove around Federal Way until 9:00.  I bought some stuff (including some very good chocolate bars with hazelnuts) and used up the gift card.

I then drove to Margo's house, since I was driving her mini-van because we needed enough room for five people and luggage for four to get to the airport.  I dropped off her car, let the cats out, then came home and took a shower.  After that, I did some shopping and now have posted this very long (and possibly quite boring ::)) post of my activities of the day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:16:40 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2005, 02:31:08 PM »

The problem was that I got to Trader Joe's at 7:30 in the morning and they don't open until 9:00 in the morning.  So, I drove across the parking lot and to Coco's and had breakfast.  I had a three-cheese omlet, hash browns and two pancakes.  

A. Trader Joe's sells a passable caviar at about $2/ounce - great on top of sour cream on your favorite omelet (or just plain scrambled eggs).

B. Does Coco's still serve their great biscuits with breakfast?

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2005, 02:31:09 PM »

I understand the legs and the armpits, and I understand waxing for bathing suits - I think you know that is not what I'm talking about, and what the current trend for young girls is (or even women these days).  It's not just a little waxing - it's complete (Pogue knows how to put this better, since he coined a classic phrase for it).  Let' s put it this way - I don't find the thought particularly appealing that post-pubescent girls and women are doing things so that they look PRE-pubescent.  It's not only teen girls and women, baby, it's men, too, and I find it all completely nauseating.  That is one man's opinion (OMO, in Internet lingo).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »

Next you'll be telling me all those piccolos in "Fine and Dandy" should have been sousaphones! 8)

der Brucer

I prefer to write for ophecleids!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2005, 02:40:57 PM »

A. Trader Joe's sells a passable caviar at about $2/ounce - great on top of sour cream on your favorite omelet (or just plain scrambled eggs).

B. Does Coco's still serve their great biscuits with breakfast?

der Brucer

A. Caviar = :P

B. I didn't get any biscuits.  It didn't look like an option.  When I ordered the 3-cheese omelet and hash browns, the (female) waitperson asked if I wanted toast, wheat toast or pancakes.  I took the pancakes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 03:17:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »

I haven't gotten around to BEYOND THE SEA yet, but it should start showing up on HBO/Showtime/Starz within the next couple of months. It usually takes about a year for a theatrical release to make it to pay cable. I saw it listed a few months back on pay-per-view, but I had heard such awful things that I wasn't going to waste a dime on it. Since I'm already paying for those pay movie channels, I will wait for it to appear on one of those.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 02:43:27 PM by Matt H. »

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »

It's all about assonance.  Rita has some clever ideas regarding poetry which doesn't rhyme.

She says it's getting the rhyme wrong.  I love that movie

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »

Unfortunately, Pogue won't be able to delight you with his phrase, what with this being a family site and all.

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2005, 02:44:52 PM »

Yes that is quite the re-creation of the past isn't it, DRGINNY.  Only was there once, but it was like stepping back in time - except for the prices!

Walking in the entrance was just like stepping off the elevator in the old days.  My sister and I split an ice cream princess for dessert, but it was only vaguely reminiscent of the ones I remember.  We didn't fight over the porcelain princess top - I let her have it 'cause it was her birthday (and I'm pretty sure I still have one from about 1962 anyway).

We spent the rest of the afternoon with Dear Niece Laura driving us around in her new Saturn Vue - we saw the houses where my great grandparents lived, where my mom lived as a teenager, where our great-uncle lived (and his barbershop), and where my parents lived when my sister was born.  We also went to Crown Hill and brushed grass clippings off the headstones of my mother's parents and her grandfather and step-grandmother.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2005, 02:46:30 PM »

At some point this week, I'm going to pull out the Tyrone Power version of THE RAZOR'S EDGE to watch. It's been on the shelf for awhile, and I'd like to see it on DVD. Had the laserdisc for years, but due to its length only watched it a few times. Since it's a Fox Studio Classic release, it should look very good.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up