Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE  (Read 25029 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:HAPPINESS IS JUST A THING CALLED JOE
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2005, 07:37:54 AM »

August 21, 1980:

Today in Musical Theater History:
Linda Ronstadt makes her Broadway debut with the Gilbert & Sullivan production "The Pirates of Penzance."

I'll be hearing "Poor Wandering One" in my head all day now.   :o
Either that, or you could mentally listen to the Forbidden Broadway parody, "Poor Warbling One!"  (Three cheers for Norma Mae Lyng!!!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2005, 07:39:42 AM »

Fred Barton at the piano.

(A Forbidden Broadway, Volume 1, reference.  Hard to dance whilst at the piano, of course.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2005, 07:40:24 AM »

Rita asks Frank what assonance means. When Frank gives her an example of assonance, he asks her if she has heard of Yeats the poet but Rita confuses Yeats the poet with Yeats the wine lodge. This shows that they are completely different people. When Frank tells Rita what assonances means, she reacts by saying "oh. It means getting the rhyme wrong".
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2005, 07:41:13 AM »

Either that, or you could mentally listen to the Forbidden Broadway parody, "Poor Warbling One!"  (Three cheers for Norma Mae Lyng!!!)

Actually, I prefer the L. A. Boheme. . . .

td

• td
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2005, 07:42:28 AM »

Good Morning, Matt H!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2005, 07:43:57 AM »

The only songs I know about that Lena Horne sung were from her movies, and I enjoy them very much.

"Love" is my favorite (ZIEGFELD FOLLIES). I have a recording of Garland doing it in the 1940s, and she did it on her TV series, too. Horne's and garland's versions are super.

I also like "Just One of Those Things," "The Lady Is a Tramp," "Ain't It the Truth."

I have to shamefully admit that I listened to the cast LP of JAMAICA once, and though it's Horne and Arlen, I didn't find anything memorable about it. I bought the CD when it was available just to collect it, but I'm not sure I've ever even listened to the CD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2005, 07:47:18 AM »

Oh, I did like Lena in THE WIZ. I thought she was the best thing about the movie, and I loved her version of "If You Believe."

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2005, 07:48:29 AM »

Hello, DR td. Always a pleasure seeing you here and reading your posts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2005, 07:49:50 AM »

Lena Horne's performance of "If You Believe" had one of my favorite almost-but-not-quite rhymes.  When she sings "Believe what you feel, and knows you're right because/ The time will come around, when you say it's yours."  I remember that when I heard her sing it live, she made a point of hitting that rhyme, rhyming "because and "yaws" (instead of "yours"). ...
I thought the line was "The time will come around, when you say it yaws."  It's a flying reference, usually trioed with roll and pitch.  (Since there are three terms, it can't be paired with them, can it?)

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »

Favorite Arlen:

Well, all of THE WIZARD OF OZ

all of HOUSE OF FLOWERS

all of A STAR IS BORN

"One for My Baby," "Blues in the Night."

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2005, 07:53:54 AM »

Another one of those stultifying days here with high forecast at 97. Another day to stay inside, do laundry, and watch movies.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2005, 07:55:53 AM »

And in honor of the heat wave we've been having these past few weeks, I've decided away from Astaire-Rogers today.

My first DVD will be THE RAINMAKER.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2005, 08:07:58 AM »

Personally, I think our esteemed BK missed out on something last night.  Instead of fretting about traffic patterns blocking his way to his favorite In-N-Out Burger, he could have located another.  There are plenty of 'em.

But we don't have any here in Delaware.   :'(

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2005, 08:12:10 AM »

Well, I think I'll go spend some time with John Schlesinger before I head toward the den for an afternoon movie. Will be back later with comments about it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2005, 08:22:33 AM »

A couple of days ago, Der B and I took little William to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  We all loved it.  I think Tim Burton did a very good job trusting the original book, only tweeking it with his own sense of visual humor; the only parts of the film that weren't quite in synch were the flashbacks involving Christopher Lee, which were an invention for the film.

There was one terrible thing that occurred in the theater, however.  The film was scheduled to start at one in the afternoon.  It didn't.  It started at twenty-five minutes after one in the afternoon.  This wasn't because the projectionist had fallen asleep.  No, this was because we were treated to at least twelve trailers for upcoming films.  I can understand five trailers for upcoming films, but twelve is excessive.

Worse, these twelve trailers for upcoming films were preceeded by at least as many advertisements.  No, the theater didn't run a series of invitations to join them at the refreshment stand.  These were advertisements for cars, and for cell phones (that blight of ear infections), and for Old Navy, and for other things that a five-year-old child has little interest in or need for.  I'm amazed that William was able to sit through this needlessly long run of ads, but he did, very patiently.

This may explain, however, when he pointed to the front of the screening room and asked his Grampaw "Is that the telebision screen?"  I'd be confused about the difference, too, given what he'd experienced.

FJL

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2005, 08:25:33 AM »

DR TD - Thanks.  I'll have to check out EDUCATING RITA.  

I wonder if Willy Russell got all the rhymes right in BLOOD BROTHERS.  :)  Or is his point that it shouldn't matter, i wonder?

td

• td
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2005, 08:32:42 AM »

I wonder if Willy Russell got all the rhymes right in BLOOD BROTHERS.

Well, I am in the minorty here, but, I am a big fan of BLOOD BROTHERS.   A propos of the other day, there are quite a few recordings of this show, too:  Australian cast, Korean cast, two London casts and the Symphonic Cast.
There are rhymes and there is assonance in BLOOD BROTHERS.  It's a diving show, yet one that attracts audiences.  

EDUCATING RITA is a joy from start to finish.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2005, 08:36:01 AM »

Dear BK wrote last night;
The screening was actually very crowded, and Hisaka's favorite, Mr. George Chakiris was there and we had a lovely chat.

Oh, Yes!  I am a huge fan of Bernardo form West Side Story. A few months ago, graciously, dear BK sent me a photo of Mr. George Chakiris with his real autograph which has been written just to Hisaka. The photo has been keeping in a neat paulownia box from that day I received it on and I sometimes take it out from the box and enjoy looking at it for a while giving a deep sight of contentment, and then put it back in the box tenderly.  :)

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2005, 08:38:35 AM »

We, in Japan, just have iTunes store. They sell songs 150yen(approx.US$1.36) per song and the price is quite cheaper than other companies’. I wonder that the price is higher or lower than other countries.  I heard that, in the US, you can buy a song for $0.99. Is it true? How about other countries, Australia, Canada, and France?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »

It's all about assonance.  Rita has some clever ideas regarding poetry which doesn't rhyme.

Rita also has the best idea ever about solving the problems of staging a production of PEER GYNT.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »

DR HISAKA - George Chakiris is a favorite of mine, too.  

Hmmmm......Harold Arlen:

Over the Rainbow
Blues in the Night
The Man that Got Away
Here's That Rainy Day (isn't that Arlen?)

Lena Horne....put me in the "who cares" category.  When she sang THAT SONG in THE WIZ - her mouth movements were WAY OFF the sound.  It was very annoying.  And all I could think of was.....even in BEACH BLANKET BINGO, Annette's lips matched her lyrics....and they spent $40 million dollars on this thing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2005, 09:04:01 AM »

Just because it's August.

What summer means to me:

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

As Miss Annette recovers from her car accident, sending her some good vibes.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »

Mr BK - what was the LARGE audience reaction to GYPSY last night?  Did they enjoy it?  Was it in proper TechniRAMA?  

Did you know that Roxanne Arlen one of the girls in GIMMICK was the original Sylvania girl on BEAT THE CLOCK?

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2005, 09:09:43 AM »

Last night I watched a dvd entitled Frank Miller's  SIN CITY.

I may in a vast minority here, but I truly found this film to be mesmerizing and gorgeously executed.
I will say that normally this type of ultra-violently oriented material is not my cuppatea, but, Rodriguez' direction drew me into these three inter-connected tales with an assist from his very able cast. I would have never recognized Mickey Rourke or Rutgar Hauer, and Mickey actually gives a very, good performance.
I'm sure it's been said before, but, I've never seen a film that LOOKS like SIN CITY; it's everything a graphic novel (or comic book) treatment should look like.
The dvd is absolutely astonishing; quite possibly the black and white reference disc of all time, and that DTS soundtrack!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2005, 09:12:01 AM »

I almost bought that DVD last Thursday, DR TD.  Hmmm, maybe I should have!

td

• td
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2005, 09:13:22 AM »

DR Jrand - how did PIPPIN go last night?  Out with a whimper or with a bang?

DR Hisaka - how lucky you are to have Mr. Chakiris inscribe his photograph just for you!  (Ms. Petula Clark inscribed several BLOOD BROTHERS items for me - how's that for staying somewhat on-topic?)

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »

I almost bought that DVD last Thursday, DR TD.  Hmmm, maybe I should have!
I was going to rent it from NETFLIX, but when I went to the corner mom & pop record store on Friday (to pick up my copy of THE POGUES' RUM, SODOMY & THE LASH) they had it USED for $10.00!, so I figured, whaat the heck, I can always sell it back it if I don't like it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2005, 09:15:44 AM »

I've been listening to the new recording of Bernstein's score for PETER PAN with Linda Eder, who is much more wonderful than I would have predicted.  Around 1994, I was working for the Bernstein estate on 1600 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE. and I put in a bid to restore the PETER PAN score, since "Dream With Me" and "Who Am I?" are two of my favorite Bernstein songs.  No one from the Bernstein children to the powers-that-be thought much of the idea and nothing ever came of it.  I'm both delighted and dismayed that the score was finally dragged out of mothballs because it's a quite delightful batch of incidental music.  It's certainly well played and performed but since the notes are rather vague about the music recorded that was not in the stage production, I have no idea if Bernstein really intended for a theme from the ON THE TOWN ballet music to be used for Tinker Bell or who scored what.

I think the Captain Hook is too legitimate a singer for Hook's aria, and I wish Adolph Green, Boris Karloff, George Rose, or a singing actor from the D'Oyley Carte Company had recorded the role instead.  I also think the decision to use the Sid Ramin concert orchestration of "Dream With Me," which stems from the 1975 Chelsea show BY BERNSTEIN over a scoring of the much simpler song sheet was a poor idea.  BK and I win points here, I do believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2005, 09:16:56 AM »

DR elmoore - our mutal friend - Ah! A Charles Dickens reference! - John DePalma does a very nice Harold Arlen medley on his cd.   ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2005, 09:41:39 AM »

Okay, technophiles.

I am getting no sound from the two front speakers of my 5.1 home theater system.  The connections are sound, I checked the receiver & the speakers.

When I play a CD in my DVD player - I get nothing when I play it on the MUSIC setting, but I get sound from my CENTER and my two rear Surround Speakers.

Could it be because I am using connectors that are red & white and have a third yellow connection that is not connected to anything?  If I get a "Y" connector that connects to just the red and white inputs on the receiver will I get sound from my two front speakers?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up