Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: WHOLE CLOTH  (Read 55023 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:WHOLE CLOTH
« Reply #360 on: January 26, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »

DR JMK - George Eells reports in FINAL GIG that Sophie's husband began as a wholesaler of women's hats named Arthur Gage.  You might find him in one of your Seattle City Directories of the mid 30's.  He of course became a business manager when Frances brought Sophie to Hollywood to prepare an actress for a test and was then hired by the Warner Bros. as an acting coach.

Gage also owned a little theatre in Seattle or West Seattle where Frances did Uncle Vanya, I think.

Yeah--I remember your bio of Sophie on the FF site (in fact I just went back and looked at it again).  The thing that confuses me is there are other sources that have his name as Blaine, Blair and a couple of others that escape me right now.

It's interesting that on the FF site you have a pic of Sophie with Viveca Lindfors and I won that eBay photo of SR and Gig from Kristofer Tabori.   I had never put two and two together before.

George, the amateur Freudian in me just burst out laughing that maybe the only reason I think of Birds of Paradise when I listen to FAPP is because of the singing crow, LOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #361 on: January 26, 2005, 07:58:49 PM »

The quote in my signature, "I like to breathe, I'm good at it" was spoken by the character of Nick Deezy in "Vibes" with Cyndi Lauper and Jeff Goldbloom.  I never saw the movie, but I guess it was not too good.  I read the quote somewhere and it just tickled me. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #362 on: January 26, 2005, 08:03:58 PM »

Oh, my, have I said too much? No matter....food is a great topic.

LJF

George

« Reply #363 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »

George, the amateur Freudian in me just burst out laughing that maybe the only reason I think of Birds of Paradise when I listen to FAPP is because of the singing crow, LOL.

But then I feel like I should have it because of the cast:  Todd Graff, Crista Moore, Donna Murphy, J. K. Simmons and Barbara Walsh.  These are performers that I really like (okay, I only have Todd Graff in Baby, but I like him in it) and I want to have more (if not all...which isn't possible) of their recordings.
 ::) And with my income tax refund, it can finally happen! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #364 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:14 PM »

No, that's one that I've seen in stores and on-line a lot, but for some reason, I haven't gotten.  I'm getting a nice chunk-o-change back from my taxes.  So you think that that should be added to the list of things that I'm going to get (after I get the 90,000 mile service for my car)?  If you think so, it shall be!

DRGeorge, I loved BIRDS OF PARADISE, which played too short a run at the Promenade Theatre.  David Evans, with whom I did OH, KAY! at Goodspeed, wrote a lovely score and Winnie Holzman wrote a wonderfully smart libretto based on THE SEAGULL.  She also wrote one of my favorite lyrics:  "Chekhov wrote in Russian which is Greek to me."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »

My decision for this evening is whether to watch Alias live.  If I do, that means I'll be subjected to all those ridiculous commecial breaks without being able to fast forward through them.

George

« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2005, 08:05:27 PM »

Off to Panda Express!

George

« Reply #367 on: January 26, 2005, 08:06:35 PM »

Thanks for the deciding opinion, Elmore!!  It'll be purchased.

JMK

« Reply #368 on: January 26, 2005, 08:09:05 PM »

I haven't checked IMDb yet to be sure, but my kids were watching Spiderman 2 today and I'm pretty sure Donna Murphy was playing "Doc Oc"'s wife (if you don't know who "Doc Oc" is, you don't have two young boys).  :)

I saw Donna in Passion, which unfortunately for me was the week my Uncle died (which is why I was in NYC) and four weeks to the day after my Dad had died.  It was not the show to see under such circumstances.  But as I've probably mentioned here before, I was sitting next to Mary Tyler Moore, so that gave me something other than the show to concentrate on.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2005, 08:10:35 PM »

Something I seem to have read is that he also took the name Arthur Blair as a more "American" business name.  He is called "Blair" in WTRBAM.  I thought he was called Blake  somewhere.  Arnold never made the Rosenstein-Gage-Farmer connection did he?

And I am always intrigued by the fact that Sophie and Jean Ratcliffe look so much alike.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2005, 08:12:10 PM »

And you know JMK - that lawyer that FF mentions in her "got fired" letter to Wes still has a practice in Indy.  I wrote to him about her - but he never responded.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2005, 08:12:47 PM »

JMK, Kris Tabori used to be our neighbour.  He was living with Susan George at the time.  I love Viveca Lindfors.  Brilliant  and sexy in the ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:23:24 PM by Charles Pogue »

Tomovoz

« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2005, 08:13:02 PM »

My "Birds Of Paradise" has (have) been sitting here on the branch since October!! I now have the incentive to listen!! I am so far behind with my Cd playing.
Thank you DRs for bringing the Cd to my attention.

Another Cd I can check off! I know - no groaning.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2005, 08:17:52 PM »

Another Cd I can check off! I know - no groaning.

He wrote in Russian which is Greek to me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »

I've been meaning to post this all day.  It's my friend Bill Burden who sang Pelleas at the Met today.  He's the Doctor on the recording of MOST HAPPY FELLA with Emily Loesser and Richard Muenz.  His beautiful wife Carol did GREENWILLOW with me, so they're clearly a Loesser family.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2005, 08:24:46 PM »

Kris Tabori and Susan George?

My mind is reeling.

JMK

« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2005, 08:29:29 PM »

JMK, Kristor Tabori used to be our neighbour.  He was living with Susan George at the time.  I love Viveca Lindfors.  Brilliant  and sexy in the ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN.

After I won the photo, I emailed him that I had a bunch of stuff of Viveca's (old contracts, etc.) that I would have been happy to have given him, but he never responded.  I only have Lindfors memorabilia because of my eBay nemesis, LOL.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2005, 08:37:22 PM »

I always liked Julie Adams; I think she's the best actress of the three. She was a hoot as the hot-to-trot Eve Simpson in a recurring role on MURDER, SHE WROTE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2005, 08:39:46 PM »

DR M Barnum, I loved the picture of James Denton, and I'm not even a big fan of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. Congrats!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #379 on: January 26, 2005, 08:41:29 PM »

Type casting no doubt, DR MATTH.

Matt H.

« Reply #380 on: January 26, 2005, 08:41:46 PM »

LAW & ORDER wasn't on tonight, so I gave CSI: NY another try. I simply cannot warm up to the show. (And I like the other two CSI programs a lot!) And the plot tonight juggled three different murders which didn't offer enough time to give any of them the time required to make them interesting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #381 on: January 26, 2005, 08:42:02 PM »

I am now going to eat a ham and cheese sandwich and watch FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #382 on: January 26, 2005, 08:47:31 PM »

Kristoffer Tabori - so good in the film of Sweet Charity.   Now, who was the other "hippie" with him?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #383 on: January 26, 2005, 08:57:33 PM »

Okay, I'm gonna give Alias a try.  Hopefully, I'll just come in here and post on the endless commercial breaks.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #384 on: January 26, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »

JMK, I can't say Kris Tabori was a great neighbour.  I bought some drama books off him at a garage sale he had and we got to talking about the Hound of the Baskervilles he did with my pal, Jeremy Brett.  I brought him a tape of my Ian Richardson  Hound for him to watch.  Never a word.  The tape was never returned.

Kerry

« Reply #385 on: January 26, 2005, 09:04:40 PM »

Speaking of MusicGuy and Lori Nelson, I have a picture of them together holding Blueboy (the Shaggy Dog in the Disney movies)  when they played and hosted a dog show in Southern California.  This was when the Disney dog movies were big and Lori Nelson was still a  "name."   In other words, "Just a few years ago."  
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #386 on: January 26, 2005, 09:06:40 PM »

DRLaura-- good luck with your roof.  We are supposed to have ours done soon, and I shudder at the thought that the same thing might happen to me.  Especially since water and I always seem to attract each other (which can be good and bad).
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #387 on: January 26, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »

No one knows who the other hippie was?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #388 on: January 26, 2005, 09:11:47 PM »

"Schlemmer!"

MBarnum

« Reply #389 on: January 26, 2005, 09:12:32 PM »

Speaking of MusicGuy and Lori Nelson, I have a picture of them together holding Blueboy (the Shaggy Dog in the Disney movies)  when they played and hosted a dog show in Southern California.  This was when the Disney dog movies were big and Lori Nelson was still a  "name."   In other words, "Just a few years ago."  

DR Kerry, you must post that picture!!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up