JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:PHUT
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »

***COMPANY SURVIVAL VIBES***[/color][/size]
to DR Jane!!!

Too late--we left days ago!   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:39 PM »

Next, I watched last night's SAVING GRACE. The mystery was OK (a stolen statue of a bull), and the framework story of Grace's aunt confessing to her a family secret was also interesting. But all the sex play at the begiining and end is a REAL turn-off. Honestly, I fast forwarded through the first five minutes to get beyond it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »

I wanted to hurl my show through the TV

Shades of Pirandello!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »

Next, I watched the 1942 movie MY SISTER EILEEN. I was glad to finally see it. Of course, I kept waiting for "Pass That Football," "Ohio," "It's Love," "Conversation Piece," "Swing," "Darlin' Eileen," and "Conga!" to start. The songs were really placed brilliantly in the story when it was made into a musical.

Really enjoyed it, but I'd rather have a copy of the WONDERFUL TOWN kinescope.

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2007, 01:22:01 PM »

Shades of Pirandello!

So I meant "shoe." The feeling is the same.

Matt H.

« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »

Next, I scanned through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Yes, the gay panic/back to the closet story was still present, and looks like it wil continue tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »

I noticed that I had gotten the DVR to capture another Rosalind Russell movie that I have never seen, her last one, MRS. POLLIFAX, SPY. I might be able to watch it tonight before DAMAGES comes on.

I also want to watch a couple more DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES episodes.

singdaw

« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

But it's a really BIG shoe...I mean, show.

FJL

« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2007, 01:38:29 PM »

Wasn't there a play called PHUTZ, about a farmer who fell in love with his pig?  (Or was that FUTZ?  I think it was by Rochelle Owens.)

Or has that been mentioned alreday?

FJL

« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »

That was an unseemly first post of the day for me.

JMK

« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »

So I meant "shoe." The feeling is the same.

As far I'm concerned, your show or any other would be preferable to DH.  We gave up on it about 5 episodes into the 2nd season and haven't missed it for a moment.  :)

FJL

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2007, 01:39:31 PM »

Just got caught up.  Wow, I missed a lot of excitement.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2007, 01:42:19 PM »

I'm not sure everyone has the same interpretation of the "rolling eyes" icon as I do, but this symbol --  ::) -- means the following to me: (from Wikipedia)

Eye-rolling
Rotating the eyes upward may have the following meanings.

It may indicate condescension, contempt, boredom, or exasperation. The gesture is often referred to as "rolling one's eyes to Heaven," as though wishing for a divine intervention for a rescue from boredom or frustration. It may also be accompanied by a gesture of throwing one's head backwards.

How it's used is most important.  If you're just perplexed about something in general, it is usually an impersonal symbol for exasperation.

If applied to a comment related to what someone else says, it's more personal and insulting, whether intended or not.  IMO, of course.

I think in these here parts it is used to mean "I don't believe you really said/did that!". I do not feel any of the selectable smilies are intended to function as "personal" or insulting - and feel we should refrain from interpreting them as such

Just my opinion.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2007, 01:46:04 PM »

No! That post is the one exception -- I really, really meant love as in Webster's definition:

"a profoundly tender, passionate affection for a person of the opposite sex"  "beloved person, sweetheart" "amour" "to embrace and kiss as lovers" "the benevolent affection of God for His creatures" "a score of zero, nothing"

that's the kind of love I'm talking about ...

Mr Webster needs some diversity training - restricting love to "opposite sex" couples, indeed!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »

I think in these here parts it is used to mean "I don't believe you really said/did that!". I do not feel any of the selectable smilies are intended to function as "personal" or insulting - and feel we should refrain from interpreting them as such

Just my opinion.

der Brucer

Noted.  A lot has to do with what is said when smilies are used.

However, I believe we should stick with what they mean in the internet universe and use them appropriately as as to cause no doubt whatsoever.

That, or be understanding when someone takes insult.  This will happen eventually, no matter the intent.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 01:55:20 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:20 PM »

Just got caught up.  Wow, I missed a lot of excitement.

Who is it...that you are....again?

I don't believe we've had the pleasure...???

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:51 PM »

As far I'm concerned, your show or any other would be preferable to DH.  We gave up on it about 5 episodes into the 2nd season and haven't missed it for a moment.  :)

Actually, it's far less objectionable than "any other show" on TV....by miles and miles.  

It's just that expectations were high, and the writers failed to deliver.

That said, they did pretty well the last half of last season.

I understand a gay couple is moving onto Wisteria Lane this year.   Let's hope they do something clever, non-stereotypical with their stories, and for gosh sake do more than the way they wasted Alfre Woodard.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »

Should I be concerned department?:

Our kitchen remodeler finished yesterday.  She took our $50K, called it a "neo-minimalist" remodel, and now her phone is disconnected.  A few minutes later someone named Cristo showed up and hung a bunch of plastic around it, and then started shouting "It's genius!".

;D But it's too close to the truth for comfort!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »

Back from errands and jog.  Happy to say that all checks and packages arrived today, so banking is done, I've got new sneakers for the trip, bag is pretty much packed, and a little later I'll be going over my checklist o' things.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

Question for foodie DR JoseSPiano - or any other DRs:

What can you do with mustard powder?

I like a pinch of dry mustard in split pea soup.

(I haven't finished reading the posts. why do I feel like I'm being set up?)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

I don't know what's going on out there, but Ventura Blvd. was jammed for an entire mile.  Ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the fourteen year old idiot who was walking along the street listening to his iPod and trying to cause havoc, like putting one of those orange cones in front of someone's car and running down the street, and taking a trash bag and hurling it onto Ventura Blvd.  I was not heading in his direction, otherwise I would have pulled over and had a little conversation with him about his drug use, his stupidity, and a few other things.  And depending on what his reaction was, I would have held him and called the cops.  I do hope some nice citizen took him by the collar and told him a thing or three.

Matt H.

« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2007, 02:06:18 PM »

Actually, it's far less objectionable than "any other show" on TV....by miles and miles.  

It's just that expectations were high, and the writers failed to deliver.

That said, they did pretty well the last half of last season.

I understand a gay couple is moving onto Wisteria Lane this year.   Let's hope they do something clever, non-stereotypical with their stories, and for gosh sake do more than the way they wasted Alfre Woodard.

I agree completely. In a series with as many multiple storylines as this show has, there are always going to be some that fly and some that sink. The Nora storyline just scraped bottom for me the entire time it was running. (Others may have loved it and found the discomfort she gave Lynette funny; I didn't.)

I am VERY looking forward to the new gay couple on the block. I had forgotten, but in the first episode of season 3, when Edie was showing the house where Mary Alice died, one couple that looked at it was a gay couple.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »

Just got the good news that the role of Joyce is now cast.  The gal had a couple of conflicts, but it's just a couple of days next week - so we're doing it.  Welcome to The Brain - oops, even though it's a done deal I've been asked not to make the info public until Thursday.  You didn't hear it here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:20:41 PM by bk »

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »

I'm going to head down now to read a bit of DEATHLY HALLOWS and then start back up with DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »

Question for foodie DR JoseSPiano - or any other DRs:

What can you do with mustard powder?

A. Great for deviling eggs

B. Great as a dry-rub ingredient on any red meat

C. Make a mustard plaster for when you have congestion (you do remember plasters, don't you!)

der Brucer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »

I frequently change to the M5 bus at Broadway and 61st, and have been watching in amazement as a huge limestone apartment building has gone up.  This review - http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/skyline/2007/08/27/070827crsk_skyline_goldberger - contains some fascinating information about 15 Central Park West:

"the most financially successful apartment building in the history of New York. All the apartments were sold before the building was finished, at prices that started at more than two thousand dollars a square foot and were subsequently raised nineteen times. Demand was so extreme that brokers started to worry that the building was taking all the business away from other high-end buildings nearby. Someone I know who bought an apartment early on for about twelve million dollars was offered the chance to resell it for potentially more than sixteen million before ever moving in. (He didn’t bite.) The average three-bedroom, four-bath apartment went for more than ten million dollars, and the total selling price of the building was close to two billion. Among the buyers have been celebrities like Denzel Washington, Sting, Norman Lear, and Bob Costas, but, in truth, the more spectacular units went for prices that would make even a movie star blanch. The most expensive of all—a forty-five-million-dollar penthouse bought by the hedge-fund manager Daniel Loeb—was for a while the most expensive apartment ever sold in the city.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »

Should I be concerned department?:

Our kitchen remodeler finished yesterday.  She took our $50K, called it a "neo-minimalist" remodel...

Nice - lot's of room for a camp-fire - pan-roasted trout, chuck-wagon biscuits, apple pandowdy - yum!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2007, 02:24:08 PM »

I'm fairly certain that each time the photo is used it duplicates itself in the photo cache.

I think not - it is extrenally hosted. Only attachments take-up cache space.

der Brucer (resident geek-nerd)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2007, 02:26:42 PM »

Our sanity, however...

The search for which is the subject of  many prayers to St Jude.

der Brucer

Jason

« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »

Back from the auditions and a loverly lunch with DRs Jose and Cason. Both Cason and I were asked to read for the role of "Genie," though I had to insist that I was more right for "Jasmine." One look at that picture would have sealed the deal, I think... ;)

And...apparently the casting director, who works for the group who casts such shows as THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, MARY POPPINS, SPELLING BEE and LES MISERABLES, remembered me from my audition last summer for FINDING NEMO: THE MUSICAL. It's always nice to be remembered...especially by someone from Tara Rubin Casting!

After the auditions, the boys and I headed to Macy's, where we had a loverly lunch. Afterward, we headed to Garrett's Popcorn Shop, where we all enjoyed a treat of CaramelCrisp/Cheddar Corn Mix. YUM!

And now I have to head back into the City to go to the theatre...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Up