Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CORRECTIONS, FIXES, ADDITIONS, AND SUBTRACTIONS  (Read 21152 times)

Josh Mitchell

• Humor is the spice of life.
Re: CORRECTIONS, FIXES, ADDITIONS, AND SUBTRACTIONS
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »

Welcome back, Josh.

Thanks Laura.  I've never known a cat named Josh or Joshie.  That's awesome.  :D

Whoooooaaaaaaa...what was that that I felt?  It must've been the ground shaking from a collective PAGE 8 DANCE!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:28:12 PM by Josh Mitchell »
"Silence is the virtue of fools." - Francis Bacon

Josh Mitchell

« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2010, 07:27:54 PM »

Josh, which library do you work at?

I work at the Encinitas branch of the San Diego County Library.   

www.sdcl.org

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »

;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »

No, NBC is mixing things up over a four-hour block each night.  Prime-time means squat.   Look...here's a short program by a Czech skater...and we will be back after we get the complete qualifying run of the snowboarding competition.  But next, here's a profile on polar bears.  And coming up, can Lindsey Vonn carry the universe on her shoulders and live up to the hype we, the media, have placed on her?

The Olympics "used to be" an event.  Now it's a farce during which athletes become international stars...for a time.

Well, we're getting the skating live on the East Coast. It's just for the other side of the country that they're delaying it for prime time. It's a question of money. NBC can charge more for ads that air in prime time, and since the Olympics are going to lose money for them this year anyway, they must make all they can.

Also, if events were shown live on the West Coast, what's going to happen to people who are working at 5 or 6 and don't have VCRs or DVRs? (DVRs are in 32 % of households.)

NBC is having to do what's necessary to please the majority of the people who are watching.

I'm in the same time zone as Vancouver...and the men's short program began around 7 p.m. last night.  There's no earthly reason for them not to air them live...and without breaking them up into small bits.  They can show all the commercials they want as there is more than enough time between skating groups...and they don't show them all anyway.  I resent having to watch 20 minutes of snowboarding just to see a 5-minute skate.

Not true. The first skater we saw last night at 8 p.m. here would have been 5 p.m. there. And while I don't care about any of the other sports, many do, and those on the West Coast might not be at home from work to see the first 60 to 90 minutes of program.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

For MattH's scrapbook:

der Brucer

Thank you, DR der Brucer.

Jane

« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

That laugh was meant to be after the page 8 dance, not after your place of work. :)

Jane

« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

'night

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »

www.sdcl.org

Does it have a cat?

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »

DR Jennifer, tonight CNBC is showing curling and Women's Ice hockey MSNBC late night is more curling

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2010, 07:33:12 PM »

RLP, I always encourage other opinions - why would you think otherwise?  We all don't have to agree.  I don't hate Lost this season, I just think it's going the way of Alias, with a lot of flailing around.   There are VERY important characters from past seasons who haven't even been referred to, even though, according to previous seasons, they were the reasons everything was happening.  Sorry, but the producers can't spend episode after episode with  those characters and then not even refer to them.

I never said or intimated that I thought otherwise.   I said, "I am not loath to disagree as I know you appreciate honest opinions whether they are the same as yours or not."

I do feel that others here may be less than open about their opinions when your own opinions have already been strongly stated.  You may not wish them to hold back, but given your trenchant evisceration of comments others make on other internet sites about moies you are discussing, one might certainly give pause toward stating an opposing point of view.

As to your comment at the end of your post, each episode, thus far, has given us some of the  characters from past seasons going their merry ways....including the dude who blew up when they were retrieving dynamite from the Black Rock.  They can't all be significant to the final solution of the story, but I'm sure seeing them in these episodes. 

I would hope that everyone here is not afraid to state opposing opinions to mine - mine are just that - opinions, and people can agree or not.  It doesn't bother me in the least and, if fact, I enjoy reading opposing opinions. 

I'm not talking about minor characters who haven't even been referred to - how about the guy who owns the island or whatever his deal was - he was a major part of the show (blanking on his name right now) and to not even refer to him but instead introduce new characters we don't even know?

There would be no need to introduce new characters unless there is some payoff somewhere down the line. My problem with your comments, bk, is that you're anticipating the worst and stating it as if it were already a fact (going the way of ALIAS). The show's revelations may indeed turn out to be unsatisfactory, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. You're already casting mean-spirited stones before they've had a chance to reveal to us whatever it is they want to say.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:50:48 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »

Congrats to Matt H. on the 50,000 Posts!!

Thanks, and thanks also to DRs Jane and JRand.

Laura

« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »

Joshie:

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »

When I went back down, I finished watching the men's short programs from last night.

Jeremy Abbott was petrified. I was surprised he was able to even get one skate in front of the other. What a horrific disappointment for him and for his fans (including me) back here.

We make a lot of fun of Johnny Weir, but he skated a beautiful program last night. I think if the first half of his music had been more lyrical (as the second half was), it might have been an even more inspired program. I felt myself put off by the reserved, uninvolving music of the first half.

The Japanese had three superb skaters, and the lowest scoring of the three will be a real threat in four years.

Evan Lysecek was the best I've ever seen him. I didn't get a chance to see this short program at Nationals, but I was VERY impressed with how the choreographer had timed accents in his steps and body movements to the accents in "The Firebird" music. For once, those swinging arms fit the music he was skating to, so they didn't bother me at all and, in fact, enhanced what he was doing with the interpretation.

With the top three virtually tied (less than a point difference between them means almost nothing with the point system they use now and with no ordinals for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd any more, placement isn't nearly as important as total points).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:45:04 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: February 17, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »

Next I watched the rest of RANCHO NOTORIOUS which I had started a few nights ago. I didn't remember and was surprised by the two cowboys still living at the end of the movie. For some reason, I thought they all perished.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing the film again and glad I have a DVD-R of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »

Next up was HUMAN TARGET. Good episode tonight, and nice to see Kevin Weisman again (speaking of ALIAS) as the principal guest star.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

I ended my evening speeding through tonight's AMERICAN IDOL reveal. I didn't really care who got picked and who got sacked yet. I don't have any rooting interest. I'll start making my mind up about them next week when the real performances begin for the public to get to judge them.

Josh Mitchell

« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »

www.sdcl.org

Does it have a cat?

Ha!  Just last week a customer suggested to me that the library should get a cat.  How funny.

Josh Mitchell

« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »

www.sdcl.org

Does it have a cat?

Ha!  Just last week a customer suggested to me that the library should get a cat.  How funny.

I grew up near the town that had Dewey the Library Cat

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »

I don't know if somebody has already posted this, but Warner Archive has announced some new titles.  I just ordered 3 of them, two of which I've never seen:  SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE, THE DAUGHTER OF ROSIE O'GRADY and THE JAZZ SINGER (Danny Thomas).
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »

Well, I got no new review copies of anything today, so I'm kind of counting on having a day off tomorrow and maybe for several more days. Would really love to watch some things for fun without note taking or writing it up afterward in a formal way.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »

And now I think I'll head downstairs and put myself to bed.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2010, 09:04:01 PM »

Today was one of those days where I felt like I was spinning my wheels all day.  One of the problems with the new office is that people keep stopping by to visit.  That didn't used to happen in our old office.  It gets quite distracting, especially when I'm having a day where I'm happy to have the distraction.  I can't believe tomorrow is Thursday already....I have much to do

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:52 PM »

DR TCB don't your tootsies get cold?

No, but my wand tends to get icey.

Is that a euphemism?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: February 17, 2010, 09:36:12 PM »

RLP, I always encourage other opinions - why would you think otherwise?  We all don't have to agree.  I don't hate Lost this season, I just think it's going the way of Alias, with a lot of flailing around.   There are VERY important characters from past seasons who haven't even been referred to, even though, according to previous seasons, they were the reasons everything was happening.  Sorry, but the producers can't spend episode after episode with  those characters and then not even refer to them.

I never said or intimated that I thought otherwise.   I said, "I am not loath to disagree as I know you appreciate honest opinions whether they are the same as yours or not."

I do feel that others here may be less than open about their opinions when your own opinions have already been strongly stated.  You may not wish them to hold back, but given your trenchant evisceration of comments others make on other internet sites about moies you are discussing, one might certainly give pause toward stating an opposing point of view.

As to your comment at the end of your post, each episode, thus far, has given us some of the  characters from past seasons going their merry ways....including the dude who blew up when they were retrieving dynamite from the Black Rock.  They can't all be significant to the final solution of the story, but I'm sure seeing them in these episodes. 

I would hope that everyone here is not afraid to state opposing opinions to mine - mine are just that - opinions, and people can agree or not.  It doesn't bother me in the least and, if fact, I enjoy reading opposing opinions. 

I'm not talking about minor characters who haven't even been referred to - how about the guy who owns the island or whatever his deal was - he was a major part of the show (blanking on his name right now) and to not even refer to him but instead introduce new characters we don't even know?

There would be no need to introduce new characters unless there is some payoff somewhere down the line. My problem with your comments, bk, is that you're anticipating the worst and stating it as if it were already a fact (going the way of ALIAS). The show's revelations may indeed turn out to be unsatisfactory, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. You're already casting mean-spirited stones before they've had a chance to reveal to us whatever it is they want to say.

Well, if that's the way it's coming off, it's not what I meant.  I'm basing my comments only on what I'm seeing so far - obviously I have no way of knowing how they'll pay it all off, I just know what I've seen so far and the only point I'm making is that what I've seen so far is very much like what happened to Alias in its final season.  As I said, I'm there till the end and believe me I hope it's wonderful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »

Congrats to MattH on the big 50, posts-wise.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »

DR George - have fun seeing Avenue Q!  We loved it when we saw it in NYC last summer.

It was great!  All the performers were very good singers, but not all were good puppeteers.  The woman who played Kate Monster and Lucy the Slut and a couple of the other actors were very good singers and actors but there puppetry seemed to be at not much more than a basic level.  The lead guy who played Princeton and Rod was a very good puppeteer...and very cute!  Otherwise, there was a lot of energy on stage and the sold-out crowd loved the show.  I heard several people say that they had no idea what the show was about, but I don't know if anyone walked out at intermission.  I gave my other (free) ticket to my friend Margo and this is probably the fifth time that she's seen it and she said that it was as good as the other times.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #237 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:56 PM »

www.sdcl.org

Cool!  I work administrative headquarters for the Timberland Regional Library. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #238 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »

I would love to see Avenue Q again.  It would be interesting (and I know totally against the "purpose" of the show) to see it without puppets...to just have actors play the parts.  I could work, even if a couple of characters are "monsters." ;)

George

« Reply #239 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up