Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST  (Read 31867 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »

I can't play the piccolo.  Can I have the triangle?

I'm a piccolo player, I'll play it for you FJL

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2005, 09:58:30 PM »

Packing is done for now.  Just need to throw the small stuff in my carry-on in the morning.

And now I wait for the champagne.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2005, 10:24:08 PM »

BB6 Spoilers

Ok, I'm really disappointed that Beau won HOH, but it shouldn't be a surprise, it seems to go from one side to the other - probably by design.

I'm sorry Janelle only got about 24 hours as HOH, but it was good to see Jenn go.

MBarnum

« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2005, 10:26:28 PM »

TomovOz, I cannot even imagine seeing such a beautiful bird in real life! Thanks for the pics!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2005, 10:27:01 PM »

I'm back.  I bailed after You Gotta Have A Gimmick.  The screening was actually very crowded, and Hisaka's favorite, Mr. George Chakiris was there and we had a lovely chat.

There are not many times I mind being alone - I've been quite alone for many years - but sometimes, I do like to go out late to grab a bite, and I don't really have anyone to do that with and it really bugged me tonight.  I know no one but WUSSBURGERS, I must say.  No late-night adventurous diners.  So, I was going to stop at In and Out Burger - I got myself all worked up for In and Out Burger.  I drove down to Ventura and as I approached Lankershim I saw that there was no way I'd be going there.  You see, everyone turns right onto Lankershim to go to Universal City and City Walk.  So, you simply can't get over to get to the In and Out parking lot - it's virtually impossible - I can't imagine the owners are happy about it.  So, I got even more annoyed and just drove the hell home, where I am now, hungry and irritable, not necessarily in that order.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2005, 10:28:02 PM »

vixmom, I don't know what's worse - the fact that they make the reference in Princesses, or the fact that some girls DO that.  I mean, what has the world come to when early teen girls have to wax ANYTHING.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2005, 10:29:09 PM »

However, it was lovely to come home to so many lovely posts.  I suppose I have to decide whether to eat a Lean Cuisine pizza or to go out somewhere and bring something back.  All I've eaten all day are two English muffins, two ears of corn and a small piece of birthday cake.  Not enough for the likes of me.

MBarnum

« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2005, 10:32:33 PM »

More BB6 Spoilers (in case someone taped it and hasn't watched it yet)

I have mixed feelings about tonights BB6...although it was entertaining for awhile, Janelle and Howie's actions towards the others was very childish and out of line and has put them and poor Rachel in a bad situation.

It is funny, but as the show progresses my feelings towards different players change...and oddly enough I now think that James is doing the best job of playing this game right now...it took him awhile, but he has learned.

I would have preferred that Rachel win HOH, but I am not unhappy that Beau won...it will actually be interesting to see what happens now.

As Kaysar was my favorite player, and the person I wanted to win, I don't much care one way or another who wins the game...at this time, anyhow....that may also change, of course.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2005, 10:34:21 PM »

...And speaking of Princesses... While packing, I went ahead and played the demos for the show - I had loaded them into iTunes.  A couple of friends of mine were auditioning for the show back in March, and they shared a copy of the demo CD with me.

Interesting stuff.  The pop stuff is very poppy, and the ballads... Well, hopefully, they've done some work on those in the meantime.

The laugh out loud moment for me was the lyric that rhymed with "Hindustan".

However, I did not hear any references to pubescent girls waxing their bottoms.  But there was a reference to girls getting plastic surgery before turning 18.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2005, 10:34:45 PM »

It's almost champagne time!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2005, 10:35:53 PM »

I almost stopped and ate at that In and Out Burger place, BK, when I was driving around the valley....but instead I had Korean in Van Nuys....and it was mighty tasty.

Which reminds me...Pocoima seems like an area that I should have avoided during my drive!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2005, 10:38:01 PM »

Such beautiful birds, Tom! Thanks for sharing your photos.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2005, 10:39:36 PM »

TomovOz, I cannot even imagine seeing such a beautiful bird in real life! Thanks for the pics!
We can offer you somewhere more comfortable than a fire escape in New York MBarnum.  The birds are very much in their comfort zone too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2005, 10:41:26 PM »

Such beautiful birds, Tom! Thanks for sharing your photos.
Just the one bird DR Laura. His partner and the others in the flock are not as brave (or they're camera shy).  This fellow waits for me each morning to feed him from the bowl before I fill the bowls for the others.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2005, 10:58:57 PM »

DR Jason:  Take heart.  The theme from "The Golden Girls" also has the line:

"And if you threw a party...invited everyone you knew...you would see the biggest gift would be from me...and the card attached would say, 'Thank you for bein' a friend.'"

Kind of sad, how the song is so associated with that show, but never with the guy who wrote it, Andrew Gold.  

And he didn't write it for the show, either.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #285 on: August 20, 2005, 11:06:06 PM »

Mr Gold's song is quite popular here - for funerals. His song "Lonely Boy" charted here but nothing else.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #286 on: August 20, 2005, 11:07:09 PM »

May I ask a question:  Has the Internet turned a generation into the biggest bunch of grammar and spelling-challenged people in history?
No, it's just the biggest bunch of people to ever have their errors out there for everyone to see.  Problem is, so many of them are so danged sure they are right, that when they see other people making the same mistakes as they do they take it as a verification of their being correct!

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2005, 11:09:37 PM »

I'm a 10.C.C. fan.  Gold played for 10.C.C. at one stage
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2005, 11:13:54 PM »

For the trivia minded (who isn't) - Andrew Gold is the son of "Exodus" composer Ernest Gold and Marni Nixon!
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #289 on: August 20, 2005, 11:19:32 PM »

So what did you eat?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #290 on: August 20, 2005, 11:22:03 PM »

Nancy Walker?  Now you're talking!  Thanks for the personal remembrance, DR ELMORE.  

Betty Hutton.....yup....

Sorry if the other gal doesn't do anything for me.  Pictures, longevity, and politics aside - when I read MR BK's comment, I guess it put the button on it for me:  the camera didn't love her...  Not that Walker or many others are typical motion picture beauties.

Betty Garrett - maybe she looked too much like some of my mean aunts - now that I think about it....maybe that's it.  But I really don't think Allison had anything to do with it.  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 11:24:08 PM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #291 on: August 20, 2005, 11:22:41 PM »

PIPPIN is closed and put to bed.  On to MY THREE ANGELS.

Lovely photographs today!  Thanks for sharing, DRs TOMovOZ and DRLAURA!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #292 on: August 20, 2005, 11:23:20 PM »

Sounds like your sojourn was a big success, DRJOSE.

Congratulations!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2005, 11:25:09 PM »

MR BK did you get the email with Cecily's address?  Thanks.  Sorry if you answered already, I didn't see it if you did.

Tomovoz

« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »

My Rosella friend and partner are waiting to be fed as I type. Thanks Jack.
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2005, 11:32:18 PM »

I like Bernard Herrmann's Wuthering Heights.

I have Bernard Taylor's Wuthering Heights, which Mr. Taylor sent me years ago along with several other musicals of his.  I should get them down and listen again.

I have the entire Bernard J. Taylor collection, and aside from "Wuthering Heights" the rest is really kinda not-so-great.  There are some decent moments in all of his shows, but you can all make your own opinion.  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2005, 11:36:04 PM »

You're not a fan of Jerome Kern and you get wet over Sir Andrew Lloyd webber?  Oh, DRMatthew, I weep for you! Raise your eyes to the heavens and learn what harmony and composition and some intelligence can mean to humanity and the notes of the scale!

Just bought Ella's Jerome Kern CD from iTunes.  I don't dislike Kern, I just haven't been exposed to him enough, I suppose.

Tomovoz

« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2005, 11:40:53 PM »

Well done Matthew. Kern's music is beauty. We aged ones around here have had so much time to "discover" - and we still do. Ella is a wonderful place to start - the songbooks are IMHO some of the greatest recordings of the 20th  century.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2005, 11:45:22 PM »

Jrand, got the address.  Ate a lean cuisine pizza - not so happy about it, but what can you do.  Such are the occasional downsides of bachelordom.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2005, 11:45:47 PM »

Just starting the notes now (had to get over my annoyance), so they'll be a bit late.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up