Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST  (Read 31076 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST
« on: August 20, 2005, 12:22:23 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read the convoluted questions, you're feeling convoluted, and now it is time for you to post until the convoluted cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 12:24:48 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CONVOLUTED CONTEST
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 12:22:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: SOMNAMBULISTIC!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 12:27:11 AM »

TOTD: Almost impossible . Three wonderful singers.
A song from each:
RC - Where Will The Dimple Be?"
PL - Johnny Guitar
EF - Swinging Shepherd Blues
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 12:27:36 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »

Word of the day"

Santo & Johnny Farina were somnambulistic brothers.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 12:56:43 AM »

And the word of the day is: SOMNAMBULISTIC!

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I'm up!  Well... I'm still up!  Which could almost make me SOMNAMBULISTIC.  ;)

-Is it really spelled that way?  I guess I'm so used to the Donizetti LA SONNAMBULA....

In any case... I just got back from The ZOO 3 - The final Zoo of the 2005 WTF season...

And I'm actually kind of wired right now... And a little bit hungry...

Hmm...

What to do... What to do?

OH!, I know!  I shall catch up on the Posts and Notes, and then Post some more!

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 12:57:29 AM »

DR Jason - Are you really still up right now?  Or just still logged in?  Or is "Berniece" logging in under your screenname?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 01:08:07 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 01:22:39 AM »

Hey, Dino!  It's my turn to practice!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 01:34:34 AM »

Good Morning! once again.

I'm all caught up on the posts and notes.  And what a lovely number of posts to catch up on!  Quite the veritable frenzy last night while I was at the shows.

Bus Stop was very good.  This was my first time seeing the play - and I don't think I've actually seen the whole movie in one sitting.  Great performances across the board, however, Elizabeth Marvel, Daniel Oreskes and Bill Camp really made the show for me.  They portrayed Grace, Will Masters (the sheriff) and Dr. Gerald Lyman.  Those characters just seem so, well, older and interesting than Cherie and Bo.  Mr. Oreskes brief monologue about his youthful indiscretion was particularly moving.

The only thing I did question was the use of "new" songs by composer, Michael Friedman.  It's been a while since I've read the script, and I can't recall if Cherie's number is something scripted or "optional".  However, since the show was presented without intermission, the brief songs between the acts were in the spirit of the show, and were ably performed by "The Stanton Family Band" who were placed audience right in the first balcony.

But, again, I did enjoy the show very much, and it was nice seeing a Bo and Cherie who actually look 21 and 19 (Logan Marshall-Green and Elizabeth Banks).  -I shudder to think of the production a few years ago with one of the former Mrs. Rod Stewarts.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2005, 01:35:25 AM »

...And there was this man who walking through the lobby before the show who just looked really familiar.  However, I noticed that he had a press packet in his hand, and then we he turned to talk to someone and made face... Ah!  Ben Brantley!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2005, 01:38:49 AM »

And as soon as the curtain came down on Bus Stop, it was just sort of sad to think that the only possible way this play would receive a major, Broadway production nowadays would be if stunt/star casting was involved.  It truly is just a slice-of-life play, filled with ordinary - but extraordinary - folks.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 01:48:50 AM »

Then it was time for Performance #2 of Triangle.

What a difference a couple of hours makes!  We went up at 11:00 tonight.  And the Act One company had already performed I Have Loved Strangers at 8:30.  And this was the first time that we had done the shows in this order in one evening.  And that included the changeover of the set and lights.

It was a good show, but, speaking for myself, I felt a little tired.  However, we had a wonderful audience - very responsive - and they helped to keep us all afloat.  I mean, I could just feel my blood sugar level drop right after I played the first chord.  However, once we got into the homestretch, I could sense that all of us were back on track.

Again, it was a very good show, and the one thing that the tiredness did for all of us was that it made us take our time, made us make sure to communicate, to share.  And now that I think of it, I guess what was most surprising to me tonight was just how "calm" we all were.  Which, in retrospect, was a good thing.  We weren't running on adrenaline - and anxiety.

It truly will be sad to say goodbye to this show and this company tomorrow night.  To quote Baby: What a journey. What a ride!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 01:53:07 AM »

OH!!!!

And not only did the casting director from Arena Stage happen to come up today to see the show, but I had two semi-surprise guests: DRs Rodzinski and TPunk!  *Which is why they've been E&T today - and most likely until Sunday night.

They just wanted to get out the city for the weekend, and Williamstown and the Berkshires seemed like a good place to get away to.  So they rented a car, and headed up the Taconic Parkway.  It truly was very nice having them in the audience tonight.  And I believe they enjoyed the show too.

We'll be meeting a Noon tomorrow/today, and head somewhere for brunch/lunch and maybe some sightseeing.  They may or may not catch a matinee too.  We shall see.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 01:54:23 AM »

OH!!!

And DRs Rodzinski and TPunk also joined me at The Zoo 3 for a few hours.  Good times were had by all.

However, the mantra up here is:  What happens at The Zoo, stays at The Zoo.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 01:56:02 AM »

And in a very coincidental case of "small worldness", it turns out that Antonia - a.k.a. DR TPunk - had hired our assistant director when he was one of the interns at Disney Theatrical.  So we had a little mini-reunion amidst the loud music and free beer.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2005, 02:01:16 AM »

And I believe I know two of the answers to the multi-answer Trivia Question, but I could be wrong.

And as for Today's Topic...

Rosemary Clooney - Many favorites, but I'd have to narrow it down to "White Christmas" and a live concert recording from ?? of "The Man I Love".

Peggy Lee - "He's A Tramp"

Ella Fitzgerald - Again, almost impossible, but... And since I just loaded the Complete Song Books into my iTunes...  "This Time the Dream's On Me"... and a live recording from her later years of Ellington's "Imagine My Frustration" - she really "rocks" on that one.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 02:02:19 AM »

Well, I best get some shut-eye if I'm to meet DRs Rodzinski and TPunk in a few hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 02:08:41 AM »

Goodnight DR Jose. Hello to TPunk & Rodzinski.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 04:34:51 AM »

Good morning. Happy Saturday DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 04:55:34 AM »

Good morning, all!  Especially to you, my beloved Tomovoz!  My, all that talk of unrequited love on HHW laqst night certainly stirred up too many pleasant and painful memories for me.  Oy!   However, our DRJason seems to be suffering a bit from it, and I sympathize entirely.

Today:  Warlow and Hobson on the CD!  I'm quite excited about it.  I don't believe I've ever heard Mr Warlow sing (don't fall down, DRTomovoz!).  After screwing up a bunch of band parts yesterday, I have to redo those today and move forward with the job, and I may hit the NYPL Theatre Collection to learn about Victor Herbert's THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER from 1912.

TOD:  
  Peggy Lee:  "Fever," "Lover," "Is That All There Is?," and I've always loved her Lieber-Stoller album "Mirrors."
  Rosemary Clooney:  my first memory, "Egbert the Easter Egg" and "Suzy Snowflake."  Now that my tastes are less sophisticated, "This Ol' House," "Mambo Italiano."
  Ella Fitzgerald:  She does no wrong!  EVERYTHING, especially the Gershwin songbook.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 05:18:28 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 04:58:08 AM »

Don't let François know DR ELmore.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 05:09:39 AM »

Usually I list "Pieces Of Dreams" as my favourite of Peggy Lee. I have always enjoyed her Coleman songs too.  I never tire of the Ella Songbooks and Rosemary's  non novelty numbers are beautiful.
Three singers who truly made songs their own.
The only singer I put with them as an interpreter of songs is Dusty Springfield.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2005, 05:18:56 AM »

Don't let François know DR ELmore.

Don't let him know what?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2005, 05:44:42 AM »

OH!!!

And DRs Rodzinski and TPunk also joined me at The Zoo 3 for a few hours.  Good times were had by all.

However, the mantra up here is:  What happens at The Zoo, stays at The Zoo.

;D

One truly shudders to think....

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2005, 05:55:44 AM »

Given the time, PDT, I'm in a rather somnambulistic funk, thanks to my allergies.

I woke up about 30 minutes ago mouth-breathing.  So, I've been doing the things I must do to get the "juices"  flowing so my sinus passages start functioning normally again.

For the past two days, music from the movie "Some Like it Hot" -- the jazzy, trumpety stuff -- has been running through my head.  Haven't watched the film in more than a year, so maybe it's time....

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2005, 05:57:22 AM »

How quiet...how quiet the chamber is.

How silent...how silent the chamber is....

Is anybody there?

Does anybody care?

Does anybody see....what I see????

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2005, 05:58:50 AM »

Don't let him know what?

That berets are out and snoods are in, of course!

:D

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005, 06:09:30 AM »

How quiet...how quiet the chamber is.

How silent...how silent the chamber is....

Is anybody there?

Does anybody care?

Does anybody see....what I see????

I see fireworks. I see the pagent and pomp and parade,
I hear the bells ringing out..

Cillaliz

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 06:10:17 AM »

HI all,
Didn't expect to be able to post from the lake, but my parents' neighbors apparently have wireless.....so here I am

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2005, 06:11:44 AM »

BB6 viewers.  Please tell me what happens tonight. I have to go to a couples wedding shower for my nephew and won't be able to watch. I'm bummed the feeds are down until after it airs, but that actually makes some sense.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up