Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO TROUBLE  (Read 26504 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:TIVO TROUBLE
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2004, 03:55:15 PM »

I'm so upset! Just went outside to get my mail and there is a letter from the Dept. of Homeland Security which now handles Greencard issues. When I renewed my Greencard - and waited a year for it - it came back with a mistake on it. (Totally their fault.) I went back to the INS (another story) and finally returned the card for correction - and was told it would take another year to get the corrected card. Now I've just received a letter saying the matter will be dropped if I don't supply them with my old Greencard. Which they have!!! In other words, there's a possibility of losing my US status. Now this probably won't happen, but as someone who never feels quite safe anywhere because of my immigrant past, this is REALLY unnerving.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2004, 03:57:04 PM »

OMG - this will mean nothing to our Younger HHW'ers....but when it was posted that Norm Lewis would be playing Billy Flynn...for the next 1/2 day I was thinking Norm Crosby!  :-[

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2004, 03:58:16 PM »

Oh, I'm sure some Hainise/Kimlet would step forward and marry you so you can stay in the US.  You need to get a lawyer to write these people a stern letter because, since you've done it by the book, they are acting unconstitutionally.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2004, 03:58:48 PM »

Norm Crosby would be a GREAT Billy Flynn.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2004, 03:59:55 PM »

Yes DRPANNI - a mouthpiece is in order....the morass that is law can only be truly navigated by .... well....  morass....

MR BK....your photograph is like a painting....your eyes follow me around the room!  It's uncanny!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 04:00:52 PM by JRand53 »

Jed

« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2004, 04:03:41 PM »

JRand, you're right!  I'd never noticed that BK's eyes follow, but they do!  I'd like to apologize to BK's eyes for the times I check the site right after a shower. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 04:04:14 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2004, 04:22:59 PM »

You want my opinion about the Kodak Theatre?  Are you sure?

Blecch.  That is my opinion of the Kodak Theatre.

There are two ways to get to the theatre entrance.  One is by way of an open air shopping mall.  This is a very overblown open air shopping mall, with mega sculptures of elephants overlooking the plaza and ersatz Oriental details here and there, all part of an elaborate scheme that is supposed to make one feel that one is shopping in the midst of an elaborate D.W. Griffith set.  Stated simply, it doesn't.  The other path to the theatre is through a claustrophobic hallway, lined on either side with very expensive and very empty retail shops.  It will look even gloomier than it does now when the initial leases on these spaces all expire at the same time and these retailers leave Dodge.  Above the storefronts are signs showing the years since the Academy Awards began and the name of the winning best picture for that year.  There are signs, too, for many years into the future with space for the names of future best picture winners.  At the end of the hallway is a showy staircase leading to the second level entrance of the theatre.  It is via this hallway and stairway that Academy Award audience members will stroll the red carpet from the limousines that drop them at the curb on Hollywood Boulevard to the theatre.

The theatre is large.  It is very large.  OK, it is ENORMOUS.  The interior was built opera house style.  There is the orchestra level.  There is a "parterre" behind the orchestra section.  There is a mezzanine above that, with boxes extending along the sides of the theatre.  Then there is another mezzanine, with boxes above that.  Then there is ANOTHER mezzanine, again with boxes, above that.

If you are seated anywhere further back than the middle of the orchestra, you are really, really, really (that's three reallys) far from the stage.

The theatre was built to house the Academy Awards to AMPAS specs, so it is wired for all the cables and lights and electronics a TV broadcast requres.  There is a platform in front of the parterre that holds the soundboard and cameras for the awards broadcast.  Natural accoustics were never, ever, not for a single moment, not for a mere nanosecond considered in the construction of this theatre.

The first time I went to the theatre was a couple of years ago, soon after it opened, to see the American Ballet Theatre's Nutcracker.  The orchestra had to be amplified.  I never before had heard of an orchestra being amplified for a classical ballet performance at an indoor theatre.  And it was amplified very, very poorly.  The balance was way off.  I can also tell you that musicians moved in and out of the pit during the performance, because the microphones quite clearly picked up the noise of footsteps and the creaking of the pit floor.

The cherry on the top of this cake is that egress from the theatre is wholly inadequate.  There are not enough escalators and stairways to accomodate the crowds leaving after a performance.  It is very unnerving to be on an escalator that continually feeds more people (including one's self) into a crowd of people with nowhere to move.

After that experience, I more or less decided to avoid the theatre if at all possible.  The lure of seeing Oliver for the first time, in the Cameron Mackintosh production, led me back though, and I was as unimpressed with the venue on my return visit as I was my first time there.  The sound was not much improved.  It was LOUD.  I had difficulty figuring out who was singing at times, because the dimensionality of the sound gave me no clue as to where on the stage the source of the sound was.

Of course, this theatre probably is the most seen theatre in the world, with its annual appearance on the Academy Awards broadcast.  You, too, can see it on February 29.  Check local listings for station and time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 05:03:21 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »

Panni, I deplore what is happening to you.   Our government gets more totalitarian everyday where dissent is stifled, where suspicion and fear are the order of the day.  I'm not worried about terrorists disrupting my way of life, but the current administration.  We seem to have devolved back to the hysteria days of McCarthyism.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 04:32:02 PM by Charles Pogue »

Danise

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2004, 04:42:30 PM »

Good evening all!

For pity's sake!  We are now into the new season of "Stargate: SG1" on the SciFi Channel with the maturing-beautifully Richard Dean Anderson, the ever-lovely Amanda Tapping and the incredible Michael Shanks.

Am I the ONLY sci-fi fan here??

You fire up that DVD player or put the Sci Fi channel on, I'll bring the sodas and Jane can bring the popcorn.  I hope you've got a big comfortable couch.  

I can't speak for Jane but I'll watch Sci Fi/fantasy till the cows go back out.   ;D

What are we going to watch besides Stargate?  Dark Shadows?  Babylon 5?  The Dune movies?  How about The Stand for a change of pace?  Then the 10th Kingdom.  Then The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  for starters.

It's a 3 day weekend and except for going to see JC:SS on Sunday (can't wait--I'm more excited than I thought I would be) and a doctor appt on Monday morning, I'm free!

Marzipan--I thought that was just used for decorations on cakes and such.  I never knew you could eat it.

Jrand53 said:
DRJENNIFER - I always just make my first bid as high as I want to go.  EBAY is too weird...or rather some Ebayers are too twisted for color TV!  And something I found out after awhile....unless it is something VERY RARE...someone always eventually tries to sell another one!  If a hundred thousand of them were made....there is more than one to sell on EBAY

I’m a little more devious than you are.  I normally don’t like to show my hand on an item I’m interested in.  I just watch it.  Then in the last 5 minutes, after seeing how high the bidding has gone, I decided how much I want to spend on the item and in the last 2 minutes I place my maximum  bid.  I rarely miss out on an item I want because if there is only one other person bidding they are unaware that someone else is interested and I don’t drive the price up by biding to soon. Tricky little devil, ain’t I?

Good vibes to Archie and many wishes for a speedy recovery!!

We went out to lunch today.  The Columba restaurant in Ybor City.  I had the lunch special with was your choice of two of the following: soup (several different kinds), a half order of the 1905 salad (really good with olives and a garlic dressing) or a cuban sandwich.  I decided on the Caldo Gallego Soup (kinda like my ham & bean soup but it had collard greens in it as well) and the 1905 salad.  It was also served with wonderful warm cuban bread and butter. I’m afraid I made quite a pig out of myself and ate everything.  Yum!

On the way back to the office we stopped off at another place and I bought a deviled crab for my Mom.  I wouldn’t touch one with a ten foot pole but I know she really likes them.

I do hope things can be straigtened out for you, Panni.  I think it's horrible.  I'm all for being safe but give me a break.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2004, 04:59:42 PM »

Re: MattH's comments as to why he won't watch SMALLVILLE; I too resent it when either books or TV shows or movies try and reinvent the wheel and proceed to mess with the mythology of a certain character or franchise.  It was why I wouldn't watch the new Tarzan TV series.  It's why I hate movies like YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES.  Conan Doyle is very specific how Holmes and Watson met.  I don't mind folks playing a little fast and loose within the bounds of the mythology, but when they try to significantly alter it, it really gets my hackles up....

Can we say "Star Trek: Enterprise?"  I like the show on its own, but it is so far removed from the history that was set down in all the other series.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2004, 05:01:11 PM »

We went out to lunch today.  The Columba restaurant in Ybor City.   I decided on the Caldo Gallego Soup (kinda like my ham & bean soup but it had collard greens in it as well) and the 1905 salad.  

You sure know how to make a southern boy's mouth water!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2004, 05:15:46 PM »

Those HHW vibes are powerful - many thanks. Archie is home now. New food, an assortment of meds, and orders to make sure he stays calm. (Good luck.) I've never met any doctor like the vet (the usual clinic, but "Bruce" is new). He explains everything in the greatest detail, and told me that I'm to phone in with daily reports.

Danise

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »

You sure know how to make a southern boy's mouth water!

Why, have you ever been to the Columba?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »

Wonderful Archie news Dan.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »

Those HHW vibes are powerful - many thanks. Archie is home now. New food, an assortment of meds, and orders to make sure he stays calm. (Good luck.) I've never met any doctor like the vet (the usual clinic, but "Bruce" is new). He explains everything in the greatest detail, and told me that I'm to phone in with daily reports.

Very glad that Archie is home and many hopes he will stay there and be well!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2004, 05:33:16 PM »

Great news about Archie!  Roller and Blackjack say Hi!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2004, 05:33:46 PM »

Panni -

I thought the point of the new government department was to streamline and coordinate these things. It sounds like a bureaucratic mess that will straighten out so long as you stay on top of it, which no doubt you will. But I'm forwarding a huge amount of good vibes. You don't deserve this kind (or any kind) of aggravation.

Jay

« Reply #197 on: January 16, 2004, 06:07:42 PM »

Call me a lull breaker.  

I'm off to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art for a screening of a documentary film by Nathaniel Kahn about his father, famed architect Louis Kahn.  Fittingly, the film is called My Architect.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:08:32 PM by Jay »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #198 on: January 16, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »

Good news DinTO.

Sending good thoughts to DRPANNI to get this snafu unfumbled!

NOW....hmmmmmmm....I wonder if we know anyone who is going to the Courts Show any time this weekend who can ask director Walter Graumann about working with Allison Hayes....anyone...anyone?

Panni

« Reply #199 on: January 16, 2004, 06:30:23 PM »

Well, DRs, since I last posted I wrote a long stern letter to the INS/Dept. of Homeland Security, copied all the documents needed to support my letter, drove to the bank to get my Passport out of my safe deposit box, copied the relevant page of the Passport which has a stamp on it that was made by the INS the day they took my Greencard which they claim not to have taken, ran to the Post Office to get there before it closed so I could Priority Post the whole package with Proof of Delivery (no fool am I!) and hurried home to take my poor waiting dog out to poop. And I haven't eaten since breakfast a LONG time ago. (I was about to have a late lunch when I got the letter from Big Brother.) Oh, and my name was spelled incorrectly on the letter from them!
Thank you for your commiseration, DRs Pogue and Dan-in-TO, et al.. It'll turn out fine, I'm sure, but I really didn't need this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:34:07 PM by Panni »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2004, 06:40:28 PM »

Why, have you ever been to the Columba?

No, I sure haven't.

But I love collards and ham and beans....and grits!   ;D

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:45:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2004, 06:43:03 PM »

How about giving him a "skritch" behind the ears for me!

I know you're glad he's home.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:43:38 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2004, 06:45:44 PM »

My thoughts are with you in this stressful time Panni. Not to lesson your angst, but imagine how the less literate and able cope with the wonders of such bungling. Nightmare upon nightmare. A kafka world that sometimes looks like becoming the world we feared in the fifties and sixties. If only Reader Digest were to be in charge - no-one would ever be able to hide and their documents and identity could never be erased.  I have trouble following their directions to find stamp A to put on page 3 if I want to not order #88 in pamphlet 16 and to only place the star which seems to be totally missing, if I want to receive a free gift that will be so useful. BTW I am not trying to trivialise your problem in any way whatsoever.  When I last applied for a passport I had to atttend an interview because my birth certifcate was not complete - I am adopted. There are now cases of people in theirr retirment years finding out that they are adopted and it is too late to find out truths as the people who would know are now dead. All the now unresolved questions and just because they wanted to spend two weeks in New Zealand. I wonder what point I was trying to make.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2004, 06:47:36 PM »

DR Ron: A little presumptious or did you mean Archie and not the Vet (Bruce).
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2004, 07:05:08 PM »

Oh, I'm sure some Hainise/Kimlet would step forward and marry you so you can stay in the US.  You need to get a lawyer to write these people a stern letter because, since you've done it by the book, they are acting unconstitutionally.

Could I marry Panni?
I'm still single.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2004, 07:06:52 PM »

Whatever your point, Tomovoz, it was certainly an interesting post.

I once wrote a TV-movie (well, co-wrote with my ex-husband) about a woman who discovers she's adopted when, because of a medical emergency, she tries to get her family medical history from her loving father and he is forced to admit he does not know it. There was an incredible outpouring of letters from viewers. The story really hit a nerve.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »

You're Welcome, DRPANNI.  Et al.

Panni

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2004, 07:10:50 PM »

Could I marry Panni?
I'm still single.

Gee, DR td, that's the nicest offer I've had all day. Maybe even all week.

Panni

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2004, 07:13:19 PM »

You're Welcome, DRPANNI.  Et al.

I actually listed you by name, DR Jrand 53, but then rewrote, thinking I'll wind up leaving out somebody else, so a short list would be easier and more diplomatic.
Besides, you didn't offer to marrry me!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 07:14:06 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2004, 07:15:15 PM »

I have to EAT. NOW.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up