Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO TROUBLE  (Read 26083 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TIVO TROUBLE
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:07:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about everything and so it's time to post until the cows come home.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 12:03:31 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:TIVO TROUBLE
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 12:15:44 AM »

Media check...  Not much changed since last week...

DVD - still West Wing Season 1
VCR - still empty
CD - still Wicked and Avenue Q, but also Lost in Boston III and IV
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 12:26:37 AM »

No viewing at the moment but some wonderful listening.
Jerry Hadley "The World Is Beautiful"
Ella Fitzgerald "Jukebox Ella" (the Complete Verve Singles Volume one)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »

I shall return....no DRMBARNUM I do not still have those glasses - and thanks for the compliment DRJane! ;D  You will be pleased to know that I no longer have those glasses OR the hair.  ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME TO CELESTIAL HHW DEAR GODDESS
EMILY!!!
[/move]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 02:47:23 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:19:53 AM »

MR BK - did you say Cowboy U starts tonight on CMT?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

DVD Player - Hammer Horror THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES.  I liked this movie, and in a supporting role, Ted Casablanca himself, Alex Davion!

CD Player - Anthony Perkins

VHS - awaiting the Warner Bros tape from DR MBARNUM!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 04:46:11 AM »

Note to self. Tell Qunitent stories. (I would do it know but must dash off to work)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 04:47:35 AM »

But before I dash..
Cabaret expanded OC cast recordinf, Unsung Sondheim, 110 in the shade (2 CD Studio cast), Children of Eden (2 cd version)

DVD  Images

VCR tonight Cowboy U
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 05:40:30 AM »

It's a quiet morning in HHW-land.

It's also a cold morning in NYC (around 4 degrees right now). Something I think Jose mentioned last night?  

It's time for your morning picture of London and London environs.

On Christmas Eve we went to the Matinee of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. While waiting for the show to begin we wandered (with the masses of people) along Oxford Street and went into my very favorite toy store in the whole world, Hamley's. We came across an adorable Christmas bear which speaks. I had to have a picture of it so here it is.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 05:43:50 AM »

And, since you asked (you didn't ask? I thought I heard something, oh well). Here is a picture of me in Wagnerian mode, also at Hamley's.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 05:44:14 AM »

Mannix (by Lalo Schifrin)
Jeepers Creepers
a complilation disc of songs about whores from musicals entitled "Ho Ho Ho" that a friend made as his Christmas card
VCR: Angels In America

We're halfway through.  Seems to me it doesn't have one tenth the power that it did in the theatre.  I'm put off by the acting of the three younger men.  And the special effects - in movies, such things are oh-so-common.  In the theatre, the burning Hebrew bit was great fun - you could smell the flames.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 05:50:26 AM »

And finally, I noticed that over the holidays there was a plethora of posting of theatre marquees. Well, we took our own picture of the Palladium and I'll post it here.

I'm posting all these today since I won't be around much this weekend.

Chitty, BTW, was great fun. I don't know how they will bring it over to Broadway without a reduction in cast and a loss of charm, but they will try.. There are around 40 people in the show and almost no doubling. In The Old Bamboo number I counted 13 male dancers on stage backing up Peter Bishop, who played Caratacus Potts. There are dogs and children, a flying car and a flying outhouse. As I said, great fun.

Here's the Palladium.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 05:51:51 AM »

That's better. The first try was too big. You can still see the detail in this smaller version.

I'm not listening to anything at the moment but I will soon be tuning into Accuradio and Broadway hits of the 50s and 60s.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 06:09:58 AM »

More wonderful pictures.  I feel as if I have been to London, again.

Did you sing:

"Here I stands in Picadilly Circus,
Nelson stands in Trafalgar Square...........!

"Big Ben stands by the river Thames
And will as long as the Thames is there.......!"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:10:32 AM by JRand53 »

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2004, 06:11:03 AM »

Okay I tried the move to the right message thing. It worked. But it made me too dizzy. So i'm gonna erase it.

Question: Is it cold enough out when you have to sleep with a blanket over your head?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:12:46 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2004, 06:17:12 AM »

DR Jose wrote this yesterday:

Oh, it's cold here in NYC.  In fact, it may even be "Montreal Cold".  -That was for you DCRs - Dear Canadian Readers.

Unfortunately it's still -40C with windchill here (which I know sounds completely awful). I guess that must be at least -30F.  

I know we live in Canada.  But i truly don't ever remember having temperatures like this.

And can someone please tell me how it is able to snow at this temp. I really thought it was too cold for snow to come down.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 06:18:35 AM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 06:18:14 AM »

Lucy Van Pelt:  "Snow comes up, Jennifer, snow comes UP!"

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 06:33:24 AM »

CD - Slowly going through the large package from All Music.  The new Florence Foster Jenkins contains everything she ever recorded.  Many of them are the same as on her RCA, but there are additions.  The bonus tracks feature opera singers trying pop music.  They are okay, but the highlight is a duet between Ezio Pinza and The Sons of the Pioneers!  The television soundtrack to "Dearest Enemy' is more interesting from a historical perspective since the studio recording released a couple of years ago is more complete and much better recorded  Still it's nice to get a recording by the wonderful Anne Jeffreys.  By the way, the teleplay was by Neil Simon.  I do hope Miss Jefferys had no problem learning her lines.

DVD - The Warner Bros Golden collection still.  These cartoons are as funny fifty years later as they were in their original release.  I hope Volume 2 comes out soon and that it has more of the really early b&w WB cartoons.

Book - I'm just about done with the Joan McCracken biography "The Girl Who Fell Down".  For a woman with so few credits she certainly made a difference in cultural circles.  When her first husband found out she was unfaithful he turned gay and became Truman Capote's lover.  When her second husband couldn't get work she convinced George Abbott to let him choreograph his next show.  The 2nd husband was Fosse and the show was PAJAMA GAME.  Both Mandelbaum and Filliccia highly recommended this book and so do I.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 06:35:25 AM »

Norm Lewis Joins Chicago As Billy Flynn Feb. 2 :

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=33471&CT=38

OMG, someone just shoot me now.

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 07:21:13 AM »

Media Check:

CD player: Laurie Jonhson and his Orchestra

DVD Player: Finding Nemo

VHS: Cal Bolder episode of Gunsmoke that I found on Ebay

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 07:37:03 AM »

DR WEL thanks for bringing up the McCracken book...I had forgotten to order it.  And while I was at it, I added a CD of "The Glory of the Human Voice."  ;D

Yes, I will be interested to read Mr BK's opinion of the new Natalie Wood biography.  Has everything been written?  Has it all been said before?  Hold nothing back, Mr BK, we want to know!

How do you cook a ton of pasta?  :P

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 07:39:07 AM »

I wanted to make a couple of comments about things talked about last night after I left the forum.

First, DR George mentioned that he had gotten the GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES CD off Ebay. I can understand if you want an original CD with the liner notes booklet, etc., but if any DRs out there want a CD that's out of print (like some of the old Capitol/Broadway Angel CDs that came and went very fast), PLEASE ask me first. I will be glad to burn one for you if you can't get it in any other way other than paying a small fortune on Ebay. It won't cost you a dime. And I would hope if some of you had something I really, really wanted and couldn't get because it was out of print, I'd like you to do the same.

I just hated reading that someone spent good money on something I could have made him for free.

On the question of BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS. When I reviewed the film for my newspaper, I did not like it and gave it a very negative review. I re-saw the film on TV over a decade later and liked it much better. So, I bought the DVD used, and I must say now that I like a lot of it very much. It's not my favorite Altman, but it's certainly in the second tier.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2004, 07:42:24 AM »

Good morning!

We stayed in this morning due to the cold, but now the temp has finally made it out of the single digits, we're going to head up to Steinway salon - I always love going there - and then we'll see where the afternoon takes us.

By the way, I LOVE Marzipan - even some of those flavored varieties. -I came across and armagnac flavored variety last Christmas... soooo good.

Oh, and I also LOVE "house seats" too.  ;)

Stay warm!  Or stay cool and don't forget the sunscreen depending where you are geographically. :-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »

Media check:

CD - THE BOY FROM OZ (OBC)

DVR - last night's FRIENDS and WILL & GRACE

VHS - A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY (Joan Hickson)

DVD - the Lon Chaney Collection (but I haven't decided which of the three movies in it I'll watch first. Probably THE ACE OF HEARTS)

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2004, 07:47:49 AM »

Like others, I like Marzipan, but perhaps I just had some that was prepared well or uniquely. Can't say that I've had it often, though. I guess it could be messed up very easily.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2004, 07:52:43 AM »

My grandmother had a 1948 Marzipan with running boards.

Jason

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 07:56:01 AM »

CD: WICKED, Mrs. Miller's Greatest Hits, LIZZIE BORDEN
VHS: Nada. Zip. Zilch.
DVD: A Star is Born (thank you, NetFlix!)

Jennifer: I think Norm Lewis will make a fine Billy Flynn. There is worst casting for that role (and believe me, there HAS been...)

The wind chill in NYC last night got down to around -25F, so I guess we're about even now. I never dreamed it could be so cold. A friend of mine from work told me that when he lived in Chicago, he remembered the wind chill hitting -80F. He assures me that that was the coldest winter on record in Chicago.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 07:57:04 AM »

I read that Olivia Goldsmith, the author of First Wives Club and other novels, has died as a result of anesthesia, given for elective surgery (to remove loose skin from under her chin).

I think that, had she read such an obituary - a popular author dying this way - she would have created a character out of the situation.

Shortly after the publication of FWC, I met Olivia Goldsmith (Justine Rendal) in Key West. She was staying at a spa, where Gord was taking an "out-patient" workout class. She and I took walks around the island, and we later corresponded.

First Wives Club was turned into a movie at about the time Anne Rice was raising a fuss over the casting of Tom Cruise in Vampire. The NY Times asked Goldsmith if it bothered her that the movie of FWC was so different from the novel. Her comment was that the ownership of the work had changed, and she could easily handle that (along with a healthy check). By the way, she took her pen name from one of her favorite writers, Oliver Goldsmith.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 08:00:29 AM »

I love personal stories!  Thanks DinTo.  Sad outcome....

DRJason - if you like, I can make you a Jonathan & Darlene Edwards CD this weekend.  I will let you know when it's done.  I think I still have your snail mail from the CD's you sent me....if not I will ask.

Jason

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2004, 08:03:48 AM »

Not a fan of Marzipan, personally, simply because I'm not a fan of the texture. If I don't like the way food feels in my mouth, I tend not to eat it. I'm weird that way. Well, I'm weird in many ways...not just that way. For example, I'll eat bananas with Miracle Whip and peanuts, but I won't eat tapioca pudding. I hate lima beans (the waxiness freaks me out) but I love peas (I like the way they pop in your mouth). Can't do brie, but I love cheesecake. I dunno...I'm a freak. But, if you like Marzipan, I say eat it up! There's nothing like enjoying your favorite foods.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 08:11:48 AM by Jason »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2004, 08:09:59 AM »

Archie update. The vet phoned to say that Archie is continuing to improve and will go off the IV, but still has some difficulties. He's surprised that Archie is still passing small amounts of blood (stools) after being treated medically for several days. At this point, it could be anything - from quite minor to quite serious (intestinal).

Archie is the equivalent of 84ish (though he doesn't act it), and should the vet suggest surgery, we're not likely to proceed with that option.

Thanks again for the vibes and concern.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 08:12:22 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up