Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO TROUBLE  (Read 26377 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:TIVO TROUBLE
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2004, 12:38:21 PM »

The CD player is still broken.
In the DVD, season 1, disc 4 of Smallville.

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2004, 12:41:31 PM »

Oh, Jennifer, did you bother to read my post just a few posts above?  It will tell you all about not being at your computer.

Yes, i read it. I read all your posts. But you didn't really explain what esnipe is. But anyhow, most people don't have that.  I think that might be for hard core ebay people, not someone who spends $7 on a charm.

Jane

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2004, 12:46:37 PM »

Mummy's 622 SW Columbia
This subterranean lair looks like it might be an entrance to Portland's mysterious network of underground Shanghai tunnels. Located beneath the bustling city streets of southwest P-Town, Mummy's is a tranquil little oasis of flat-out weirdness. Strange engravings of Egyptian folklore characters adorn its dark, moderately comfortable booths, and each engraving has a name like "Horus the Elder" or "Thoth."

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2004, 12:52:11 PM »

LOL and while I was yapping, I just got outbid on something! ;D

Really? Okay that made me laugh. But I guess it's not funny.

If you put your highest bid in (the highest amount you are willing to pay) 10 minutes before, then how can someone outbid you?  They can only win by bidding more than what you were willing to pay.  I guess though if it's something you really want, then you can be persuaded to bid higher than you originally want to bid.

I am glad i won the rent charm. I really wanted that, and I don't think there are any like it (except from this seller).  She still didn't respond as to whether she would make me the one I lost out on. So hopefully she will soon (since she also needs to send me the exact shipping charges).

It's funny, I can stay away from ebay for months. But once you start, it is hard to stop. But this is my last buy. Someone here hit me, if I tell you I bought anything else, okay? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2004, 12:53:43 PM »

Okay i'm checking out esnipe.com right now. Very interesting. I had no idea this even existed.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2004, 12:55:57 PM »

If I understand you, BK, esnipe.com allows you to put in the price you are willing to pay for a specific item and it will place your bid at a time specified by you?

So if I see an item I really want and don't want to contribute to running up the bid on it in advance of it's ending date/time, I can name my maximum bid and tell esnipe.com to bid for me 15 seconds (or so) before the bidding ends?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 12:56:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2004, 12:57:05 PM »

Perhaps you should visit esnipe.com and learn more about it. I'm sure it would be much easier on Bruce, as explaining everything step-by-step is sort of a hassle. I'll bet they have some sort of information page.

Exams are over! Huzzah! Since I was up so late last night, I was exhausted this morning. But a friend dropped off some Starbucks DoubleShots for me this morning at about 8:30. Those things are powerful! I was wired until about an hour ago.

In CD: A James Taylor CD. I can't remember the title.

In DVD: There's Something About Mary

In VHS: Brigadoon

MP3: "Popular" -Wicked (as if you didn't already know)

I may be a bit E&T this weekend, as there are numerous parties to celebrate the end of the first semester/celebrate the end of exams/ just kind of get out of the house. Can't say anything about Sunday night, but I could be missing the PJ partay. I suppose we'll see.

I'm now off to work, nice and early. You know what *I* think? *I* think that a certain PINK someone should come and have dinner at my restaurant, since this certain PINK someone lives about a 5 minutes walk away from said restaurant. Bundle up, babe.
...Walk in the sunshine...

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2004, 12:57:53 PM »

Well you're apparently already there Jennifer, so disregard the first part of that post :).

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2004, 01:06:01 PM »

If I understand you, BK, esnipe.com allows you to put in the price you are willing to pay for a specific item and it will place your bid at a time specified by you?

So if I see an item I really want and don't want to contribute to running up the bid on it in advance of it's ending date/time, I can name my maximum bid and tell esnipe.com to bid for me 15 seconds (or so) before the bidding ends?

The thing is you have to pay for this service. And while it's not a lot, I still think only hard-core ebayers might want this.

And Ron, it sounds like 15 seconds is an eternity. Their system places your bid (on your behalf using your account) like 6-8 seconds (or something like that) before the end.

Check out the site. It certainly sounds amazing for anyone who buys a lot on ebay.

I wonder how many people use this service. And I wonder if I've ever been outbid by a sniper.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2004, 01:08:40 PM »

Well you're apparently already there Jennifer, so disregard the first part of that post :).

Okay no problem :)

Btw, Swishy how is "the guy"? (the one you always talk about).

And I agree, pretty in pink Laura should visit you!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2004, 01:16:51 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow dear readers.

Good news about Archie! I understand that Roller is doing well, at least the last time I heard.

In the car CD player: Guy Haines, because his soothing voice always calms me down when I am annoyed, and annoyed I am today. You know what I hate? I hate incompetence by professionals. Especially when I'm the one paying them. End of rant.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2004, 01:19:30 PM »

Jennifer: "The Guy" brought me some DoubleShots today :). He's great.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2004, 01:26:45 PM »

Will you be seeing it?  The man who toasted us on stage after Our Wedding - The Musical ( www.WeddingMusical.com ) is in it.

Most definitely not. I saw the original on Broadway and have seen at least three amateur and one other professional production (ex-lover was Mr. Bumble in that one) of this show. Really like the show, like the movie which I've also seen too many times to count, but no desire to see it again any time soon. Maybe not ever again unless I'm in it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2004, 01:28:11 PM »

I am so misunderstood :(

I am in love with Norm Lewis. That is why I said "just shoot me."
I didn't misunderstand you at all!  I'd like to meet the man, personally, because I have a personal thank-you to give him.

(OK, story time.  The last time der Brucer was in the hospital, I ended up playing "Sailing" from A New Brain repeatedly.  It made me feel better.

Later, when he was starring as Sweeney Todd at the Signature Theater in Arlington, VA, I was able to tell his Lovett, Donna Migliano (sp?) via e-mail the story, and asked her to give him my thanks.  Which she did, on opening night, which she said thrilled him.  The only thing lacking was my being able to tell him myself.

The only thing wrong with the story is that der Brucer, after recovering, loaned my copy of New Brain to someone who never returned it.  Not really his fault, all hers, but that and Wierd Romance (loaned to same person) have never been replaced.  Pbbbbt.   :P)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 01:29:01 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »

Jane---
As a fan of the classic "Superman" comics (not the current ones) I can't watch "Smallville" because they have totally changed the whole origin of the characters.  The reason Lex Luthor always hated Clark Kent was that he lost his hair because of an accident in chemistry class that Clark was responsible for.  While other versions of the story have made some changes (in first Christopher Reeve/Margot Kidder movie, Superman would have never turned back time to change any outcome), "Smallville" changed almost everything that Siegal and Shuster created, keeping only the character names and little else.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2004, 01:40:02 PM »

I've learned bitterly not to loan things like videotapes and CDs out because they invariably get either lost, forgotten about, or damaged in some way. I loaned my SWEENEY TODD videotape to someone, and that's the last I ever saw it. Now, if someone asks to borrow a CD or video, I offer to copy it for them, but my copy doesn't leave my house.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2004, 01:42:25 PM »

I can't watch SMALLVILLE because there's just too much teen angst. Yep, it's a traumatic time for most teens, but I don't want to see that every week.

That said, I will occasionally tune it to see the undeniably handsome gallery of men on display. I can turn the sound down!  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2004, 01:42:55 PM »

I am not a sci-fi fan, but when it comes to Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks, they could sit around the set in their underwear and I would watch... Come to think of it, I would prefer to have them sit around in their underwear.
And Christopher Judge is what, unworthy?  He's much higher on my woofometer than Shanks.

On the other hand, Don S. Davis can keep his pants on.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2004, 01:47:32 PM »

Yes esnipe will help.  DRJENNIFER I can be outbid by someone who wants to pay more for it than I do....LOL.

I thought about esnipe as well - and it sounds like a great service, just never checked it out to any extent!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2004, 01:52:59 PM »

I just looked at my naval and found all kinds of lint inside it. I was trying to figure out why since I bathe regularly, and I realized it was because I had recently switched from a synthetic comforter to a cotton quilt (because I wanted more warmth and needed to send the synthetic to the cleaners).  Gosh, you'd think we'd have been designed better.  ;)
Some are.  They have outies.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »

WEL I had forgotten why Lex Luthor hated Clark Kent (thanks for reminding me) and can fully understand your dislike of Smallville.  It has definitely taken liberties with the original story.  Keith & I have begun to laugh at the all the strange activity in one small town.  There are so many “green meteorites” in Smallville that Clark should, at the least, be extremely ill.   On the other hand we find the characters interesting, especially Lex Luther.  Since Netflix sent us four DVD’s at once, we shall just watch until we tire of the show, which might be soon.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2004, 01:56:16 PM »

On the other hand, Don S. Davis can keep his pants on.

I feel like a horrible person but I can't stop laughing.

Robin

« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2004, 01:59:46 PM »

Jane---
As a fan of the classic "Superman" comics (not the current ones) I can't watch "Smallville" because they have totally changed the whole origin of the characters...."Smallville" changed almost everything that Siegal and Shuster created, keeping only the character names and little else.

Lordy, Lordy do I ever agree with that!  Every word of that!  Every little nuance of every word of that!  

The Superman, Batman and Justice League 'toons that Warner Bros. have been grinding out for the past decade or so are infinitely better than Smallville....at least, IMHO.  (That's 'net lingo for "in my humble opinion".  Gosh, I am so getting the hang of this internet stuff!)  Watch 'em.  

And on the subject of superheroes...

In my deeveedee player this week is The Adventures of Captain Marvel.  On the deeveedee's box, it mentions that this is the greatest serial ever.  They may be right.  It's not a really close adaptation of the Captain Marvel comic, but it's so darned fun it's hard to quibble about it.  

In the CD player its' Kristin Chenoweth's "Let Yourself Go", Jerry Goldsmith's score for Poltergeist II, and Max Steiner's score for The Searchers.  Love those vocals by The Sons of the Pioneers.  

Tonight, a friend is coming up to vist from the hideous burg of Mason City, Iowa...home of the Music Man museum and not much else.  And then, it's off to see (and participate in!) Sing-a-Long Wizard of Oz.  I'm sure there will be many, many Friends of Dorothy in the audience. I sort wish I had a blue-checked gingham dress for the costume competition, but I'll leave that to the other Friends tonight.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 02:07:21 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2004, 01:59:53 PM »

Gosh it's getting late.  Time to walk Echo while the sun is still shinning.

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2004, 02:02:49 PM »

Thanks Jane, for the info on Mummy's, it sounds like it has a lot of atmosphere!! I like that in an ethnic restaurant (I am alwayys disappointed when I go to a Mexican or Chinese place and they are playing American top 40). My buddy Mark is gritting his teeth at having to eat there. He is a big ol corn fed country boy from Wyoming and not very open minded...he gets all disgusted just seeing some of the kids in Portland with their colored hair and piercings! LOL! And my attempts at trying to broaden his horizens with Thai or Japanese food went awry! He hated both! Don't know why we are friends!

Jane

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2004, 02:04:38 PM »

Robin we shall have to get “The Adventures of Captain Marvel”.  Thanks for the tip.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2004, 02:07:41 PM »

MBarnum I will be shocked if he likes this food.  I look forward to details.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2004, 02:09:05 PM »

I'm not sure I've ever seen the CAPTAIN MARVEL serial, but it'd have to go some to beat Buster Crabbe's Flash Gordon serials, especially the first one, and I really liked the first BATMAN and SUPERMAN serials, too.

Our young friends on this forum probably don't have much experience with serials, but they were so much fun growing up waiting for those chapters at the movies every weekend.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2004, 02:14:50 PM »

Most definitely not. I saw the original on Broadway and have seen at least three amateur and one other professional production (ex-lover was Mr. Bumble in that one) of this show. Really like the show, like the movie which I've also seen too many times to count, but no desire to see it again any time soon. Maybe not ever again unless I'm in it.

Just out of curiousity, MattH or Noel how does one know if a tour is a Non-Equity tour?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »

Jennifer: "The Guy" brought me some DoubleShots today :). He's great.

I'm hoping "doubleshots" are some sort of coffee term? :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up