Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BIG NOISE  (Read 28024 times)

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
Re:BIG NOISE
« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2004, 06:12:32 PM »

Where are our posters, like Jrand and Jenny,
There were a lot but right now there aren't any
I'm all alone, well, it's Noel and me
Won't someone join us and then we'll be three?

You rang?

Maya mentioned that "Think Pink" is one of her favorite MGM musical numbers, but I'm fairly certain that "Funny Face" was a Paramount film.  Regardless, it's one of my all time favorite movies, and the best big musical number in it is not "Think Pink", but rather "Bonjour, Paris"!  Silly Maya.  Silly Maya and I are having a slumber party on friday, so expect us to be posting til the cows come home, in our PJs, at obscene hours of the night!  

WOW!  I'm a jr. member!  Time sure does fly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 06:14:05 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2004, 06:13:27 PM »

Hello, my friends.

I wanted you to know that Joe's mother passed away at 4:30 this afternoon.  There is grief, there is anger, and there is some peace in my soul, knowing that the horrible pain she suffered for the last few years is finally over.

I was the only family member there when she died.  The Good Sister, who has been caring for her for the last six years, was at work.  The other Good Sister, who flew in from California on Friday, the RN, was out getting Mom's medications.  Another sister was in Florida, because she didn't want to cut her prepaid vacation short.  Two others were just so terribly busy.  Joe, of course, would have been with her night and day if only he could.  But it was just me and the Aide when she stopped breathing, blessedly in her sleep after not being able to sleep for days.

Grief:  Because she accepted me as her son when my own parents could not accept Joe.

Anger:  Because the vacationing sister and husband were yelling at me on the phone that they now want the funeral put off until Monday so they can drive up.

And because our neighbors, the Macbeths... well, if they had a potted plant on the deck of their boat, I'd throw it overboard, if you get my drift, Mr. Roberts.

I went to pick up my niece from high school, while the police were there with her mother, the Steel Magnolia, doing all the paperwork.  I stayed until the funeral parlor came to get her.

Joe has on his "teflon suit", as he says, and only asked me not to cry when I visit him tomorrow.  "I'll have my break-down when I get home, not before," he says.

I know you all send good wishes, but please don't feel you have to break up the conversation here for this, as I am a fan of M*A*S*H* and know that laughter is the best medicine.  Oh, a Readers Digest reference!

Example:

Me:  Now she's finally with your Dad again.

Good Sister:  No, Bill.  She went up.

Carry on, crows.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2004, 06:13:58 PM »

My Nanny once made playclothes for me out of curtains.  Unfortunately, they were sheer curtains.

(Ba-ding-boom!)

. . .and I'll bet you looked cute in your birthday suit, with sheer curtains swaying in the breeze. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jenny

« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2004, 06:17:24 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear about Joe's mother.  She sounds like a wonderful woman.  My thoughts are with you and your family.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 06:20:34 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

td

• td
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2004, 06:21:49 PM »

Mr. William F. Orr, you have my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy.
True that one really never knows what to say at times like these (Oh, an Ahrens & Flaherty reference), and I always look to John Donne's Meditations . . . so, heartily, I offer you:

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me and see my state may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that.

If we understand aright the dignity of this bell that tolls for our evening prayer, we would be glad to make it ours by rising early, in that application, that it might be ours as well as his whose indeed it is. The bell doth toll for him that thinks it doth; and though it intermit again, yet from that minute that that occasion wrought upon him, he is united to God. Who casts not up his eye to the sun when it rises? but who takes off his eye from a comet when that breaks out? Who bends not his ear to any bell which upon any occasion rings? but who can remove it from that bell which is passing a piece of himself out of this world? No man is an island. entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. Neither can we call this a begging of misery or a borrowing of misery, as though we are not miserable enough of ourselves but must fetch in more from the next house, in taking upon us the misery of our neighbors.
Tribulation is treasure in the nature of it, but it is not current money in the use of it, except we get nearer and nearer our home, heaven, by it. Another man may be sick too, and sick to death, and this affliction may lie in his bowels as gold in a mine and be of no use to him; but this bell that tells me of his affliction digs out and applies that gold to me, if by this consideration of another's dangers I take mine own into conteplation and so secure myself by making my recourse to my God, who is our only security.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2004, 06:22:54 PM »

Dear William F. Orr and Joe - Peace, Comfort and Understanding.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2004, 06:30:41 PM »

Double U Eff Oh - you know we are with you on this.  

Slumber party, yes!  Be there or be round.  We haven't had one of those in a long time.

Danise

« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2004, 06:35:51 PM »

Good evening all.

I finely got my e-mail under control.  I think.  It took all night for it to download or I assume so since I went to bed and left the computer running.  What a mess and mostly junk mail to boot.  How does one get on some of those horrible mailing lists?  One states there is someone out there dying to meet/date me, the next wants to make parts of me I don’t have bigger and the next offers me free condoms!  Oy!

My boss took me out to the Mosquito Control unit today so I could teach another new person how to use some of the computer programs.  Don’t tell Craig or any of techies on the board but they are under the impression that I am a computer guru.  I don’t know where they get that idea at but what can I say?

Anyway, they had a sign out there that I thought was pretty cute: “Our computer is so human, it blames another computer when it makes a mistake!”. **chuckle** I thought it was funny.  

We had the Democratic vote today.  My boss asked, “Why do they always hold them up North first?”  I told her it was because the Yankees won the war.  I was born and raised here in the Tampa area but my co-workers say I sound just like a Yankee.  Sigh.  Comes from having parents from Pittsburgh, I guess.  People up North say I sound like a Southerner.  It’s so confusing to not know what one sounds like.  Do I type with an accent?

I wanted to comment on yesterdays fantasy theme.  I have so many favorite books and movies in that genre that I can’t name them.  Anything by Piers Anthony is wonderful.  Lord, my mind is drawing a blank here.  I’ll have to come back to it.

I will say “The Seven Faces Of Dr. Lao” is one of my all time favorite movies. It’s so nice to find a group that likes the same things I do.  I thought I was the only one who even remembered it.   Is it out on DVD?  

DR William F. Orr that is terrible about Joe’s Mother.  My lord, you would think they would show some kind of compassion.  Bless you for giving comfort to his Mom.  You will never know how much it meant for her to have “her son” next to her in her time of greatest need.  I can only imagine how hard it must be on you.

I remember the “ThunderBirds” from when I was growing up.  I liked those little puppet people too.

MGM Musical–errr I like the same one DERBRUCER listed.  Yeah, that sounds good.  

Happy Birthday to Echo!  Bear and Brandi send their very best doggie wishes along as well.  Arf, Arf!  Bow, Wow!

I was very sorry to hear about Paul Winfield.  I enjoyed many of his roles.  So sad.

Golly, that makes two songs with something of me in them on the board to date. ::blush:: I feel so special.  The one from Noel and now BK.  

Congrats JMK on the possible book!  

Thank you for the list of “Things One can take on the plane”, Derbrucer!  I was hunting for that for my trip!  I didn’t think knitting needles would be allowed because you might bring an Afghan on board.   Duh Dum Ching.

I’d better post this.  You guys were on page 5 when I started it and now your up to 6.  I might never get this done!  Let me go back to page 3 and read up from there.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jenny

« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2004, 06:48:24 PM »

BK, DR SwishySarah and I have decided to open a performing arts high school for gifted youngsters such as ourselves.  She'll teach music, I'll teach drama, and we're recruiting you to just show up and talk.  We've decided that knowing BK is essential to a child's development!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2004, 06:50:52 PM »

I agree, I am essential - essential for what is the question, of course.  I'll talk whenever you like.  I shall be there with bells on and for the slumber party I shall be there with Nike shorts and t-shirt on.

Michael

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2004, 06:53:44 PM »

Deepest condolences on your loss, DR William.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2004, 06:54:21 PM »

So Bruce, How many carbs in a stuffed envelope?

Paul Winfield was also in “Star Trek: TWOK”, If I remember correctly.  BTW, My favorite Star Trek:TNG was “The Inner Light”.  The one where Picard get’s hit by the beam of a probe and lives a whole life in a matter of 20 minutes.  I cry every time I see that one.  When he’s an old man and all of his old friends in that “life” come back after being gone for years and years.  

I wish I could get a copy of that one show on DVD.  I found it on the set but I don’t really want to buy the whole season.

Oh my, William F. Orr.  My most deep and sincere condolences on the loss of Joe’s Mother. I can only express my outrage that Joe was not allowed to be with her.  How cruel can the “system” be?  At least she had the comfort of you being with her and Joe has the comfort of knowing she was not alone.  Blessings and comfort to you both.

We are all bound by One voyage.  Sooner or later we must all sail away.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jenny

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »

I agree, I am essential - essential for what is the question, of course.  I'll talk whenever you like.  I shall be there with bells on and for the slumber party I shall be there with Nike shorts and t-shirt on.

BYOB

Bring your own bells!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2004, 07:01:43 PM »

William F. Orr and Joe you have my deepest sympathy.  I’m sending you best wishes and thoughts of strength to cope with your loss.  I hope Joe can at least go to the funeral.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2004, 07:03:20 PM »

So how do I take that flattering picture that William Orr printed of me yesterday (my "serious" author picture) and make it my photo on my profile next to my posts?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 07:04:29 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2004, 07:08:57 PM »

Echo thanks you for all of her wonderful birthday wishes.  I just finished reading them to her.  She had a happy day with lots special dog treats.  Keith joined us on our walk, which was a rare treat, and he is currently making popcorn he will share with her.

We are glad Keith got the new computer up and running in time to read her birthday greetings. :)

Jane

« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2004, 07:10:56 PM »

So how do I take that flattering picture that William Orr printed of me yesterday (my "serious" author picture) and make it my photo on my profile next to my posts?

Great idea!  It is a wonderful photo.  When was it taken?

Sorry I can't answer your question. :-[

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2004, 07:23:17 PM »

WFO - I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss.  I'm glad you could be with her, though.  My heart goes out to Joe...I can't even imagine being prevented from being with my mother when she passed.  You are both in my prayers.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2004, 07:26:17 PM »

Ask WFO to send you the pic, Pogue.  Once you have it on your computer, then all you have to do is "edit" your profile and add the pic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #169 on: March 09, 2004, 07:48:27 PM »

Well, tonight I'm going to be a Wussburger - with Tillamook cheddar, thick-cut pepper bacon and pineapple!

My headache came back about an hour ago, and the "sleepies" are already settling back in.  Hopefully, I'll get up early tomorrow, and be able to get a bunch of stuff done before heading up to DC tomorrow afternoon.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: March 09, 2004, 07:55:27 PM »

WFO, I am so sorry to hear of Joe's mom's passing, but I am so glad you were able to be there with her. I am sure that means a lot to Joe and to his mom! Please take care.

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2004, 07:57:02 PM »

JRand53, what are you going to be doing in Kansas City! Become a Kansas City Bomber? Sing Kansas City Here I Come?...well have a safe and fun trip and if the razors get you arrested..well...I guess we will hear about it on the news!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2004, 08:15:02 PM »

DR Danise wrote: "I will say “The Seven Faces Of Dr. Lao” is one of my all time favorite movies. It’s so nice to find a group that likes the same things I do.  I thought I was the only one who even remembered it.  Is it out on DVD?  "

It most definitely is out on a Warner DVD that looks very, very good and lists for $19.98. You should be able to find it new for around $14 and used for about $10.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: March 09, 2004, 08:17:27 PM »

Can't write anything about AMERICAN IDOL yet because there would be spoilers involved. Of the 12 who were announced as Wild Card contestants last week, the judges eliminated live tonight four of them before they got to sing a note for the audience. And some of the eliminations were jaw-dropping. That happened in the first 30 minutes, so in 20 minutes or so, I'll be back to give comments about the oens I felt gave the best performances.

Kerry

« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2004, 08:19:41 PM »

WFO, I'm soooo sorry about Joe's mother. I know this is a family site, but SHIT!   I hope she thought you were Joe, and I'm so glad you were there.  You were where you were suposed to be. I KNOW Joe felt better (although it still was not the same or as it shoud be).

I will end this note (for my sake and yours) by wishing a happy birthday to ECHO.

I think every MGM number has been listed.  I've been told that every dancer's (including the lovely Ms. Powell) taps were later dubbed by anyone who was around.  The only dancer that had to her OWN dubbing was Ann Milller.  No one else could tap that fast.

Thanks BK-  I don't know if I've ever been mentioned in a song before (not one you could print anyway).

And yes, we'll all have matching playclothes made from the drapes and romp through the hills singing.  I look good in green flowers.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2004, 08:50:41 PM »

OK, here are some assorted AMERICAN IDOL comments. If you haven't finished watching the show yet, consider this a SPOILER WARNING!

First off, I was dumbfounded when Lisa Lubner was cut at the very start. One of the two potentially best voices, and they cut her. Unbelievable!

Then, Marckie got cut for have a "show" voice instead of a pop voice. Hmmmm. Simon said that about CLay all last season, too. Lame excuse for cutting someone with the ability to sing.

The two people who put on the best show: Jon Peter and Suzy. Jon Peter's song was lousy to show any vocal range, but it was GREAT to show he can perform and not just stand there. He got votes from me.

Suzy has a wonderful voice and was on pitch throughout her song, something that can't be said for any of the other singers including Jennifer who was otherwise a powerhouse.

What depresses me is that one of the judges will put through the absolute worst singer of the night: Bulgarian Leah who began terribly and got worse throughout with her pitch all over the place(and Randy and Paula just raved about her.)

Matthew is very nice to look at, but his voice is just barely there. I don't see how he could ever compete vocally in all the styles to come, so I didn't vote for him.

And I didn't vote for George either. Pitchy beginning and raspy top notes. Nope, he seems like a nice guy but he just doesn't have it.

So, I'd like to see Jon Peter, Suzy, and Jennifer from tonight.

Jenny

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2004, 08:55:59 PM »

Goodnight, dear readers.  Tomorrow, I'll be embarking bright and early on a journey to the Irish Hunger Memorial in Battery Park with my English class.  We will be given pizza to eat at the memorial.  Don't you think that's sick?  A group of teenagers sitting around munching on pizza at a hunger memorial?  Oh, well.  I hope that you all enjoy your wedensday.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 08:56:31 PM by Jenny »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2004, 08:58:58 PM »

DR William F. Orr, I'm sorry to hear about your and Joe's loss.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2004, 09:25:07 PM »

WFO, my deepest condolences to you and Joe.  My mom (who is German but lives on the other side of town from me) just called me and said that she got a call from her sister (from Germany) who said that her mother died just about two hours ago.  I'm glad for you that you were able to be with Joe’s mother.  That’s important.  I’m very sorry that Joe and my mom weren’t able to.  I wish you and Joe all the best.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2004, 09:25:19 PM »

Call me decidedly unoriginal, but my favorite MGM production number is "Singin' in the Rain" from a movie whose title escapes me at the mo'.  Other than that, there's
"On the Atchison, Topeka and the Sante Fe" (Harvey Girls)
"Skip to My Loo (Lou?)" from Meet Me in St. Louis
the dance-off in 7 Brides/7 Brothers (only in widescreen, tough)
"I Remember It Well" from Gigi (featuring one of the best fake sunsets in cinematic history!)
"Ya Got Me" from On The Town

I never got around to listing my fav fantasy movies/books, but I'll now mention my least favorite--Alice In Wonderland.  The book bores me to tears and I've never seen an adaption that didn't annoy me or put me to sleep (the one exception might be the Hanna-Barbara version, only because of Sammy Davis' catchy "What's a Nice Girl Like You" and a cameo appearance of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up