Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 82754 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2005, 12:45:45 PM »

I don't think the Mick would do it unless you changed the names of the show to MARRYIN' SAM.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2005, 12:49:20 PM »

LADY IN THE DARK was revived with Maria Friedman at the National Theatre in London in the mid-nineties.  A cast album was released.  I found the show, as usual at the National, quite well-mounted and very stylish...I still remember vividly the wonderful set.  But it's still not the greatest show or score (with the exception of a couple of numbers) and I suspect the psychology is a bit primitive these days.

DRCharles Pogue, I would disagree about the quality of the score to LADY IN THE DARK.  I find the three dream sequences skilfully crafted one-act operas, and Weill seems to be flying high on invention:  great choral writing, interesting orchestration for a small theatre orchestra, and an abundance of good tunes.  While I'm grateful for a complete recording, I find Ms Friedman - who may have been stunning onstage - badly overparted in Gertrude Lawrence's soprano keys.

The libretto is certainly primitive in its rapid recovery, but since it all stemmed from Mr Hart's analysis to cure his homosexuality, he must have felt his rapid attachment to several of his leading ladies was a sure sign anyone could be cured quickly.  Having seen several National Theatre musical productions where I found the decision to cast actors over voices (CANDIDE, CAROUSEL) a mistake, my jury is still out about whether I think the National shoud be doing them.  I missed the OKLAHOMA!, but I saw the video.  Don't like the Laurie at all.  I do wish I'd seen the GUYS AND DOLLS, however, as well as the LADY IN THE DARK.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2005, 12:52:08 PM »

So how was Marie's version of "Trees"?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2005, 12:56:11 PM »

I don't think the Mick would do it unless you changed the names of the show to MARRYIN' SAM.

DRJRand54, Mickey Rooney begged for the role of the Toymaker when I did BABES IN TOYLAND with the Houston Grand Opera.  We lost Donald O'Connor because of health, I wanted Bernard Hughes who was tied up in contracts for BLOSSOM, and we ended up with Eddie Bracken, who was lovely offstage and couldn't remember his lines!  I wish we'd gone with Mickey.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2005, 12:56:47 PM »

So how was Marie's version of "Trees"?

Her bark was worse than her bite!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2005, 12:57:15 PM »

I think KEAN is one of the underrated scores of the past 50 years. Charles Pogue's mentioning it made me want to make that comment.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »

Watch Mildred Natwick in YOLANDA AND THE THIEF, and then watch her in BAREFOOT IN THE PARK. You'd almost swear they were made within a year of each other. The woman was ageless.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »

...As far as revivals, I too am a huge fan of LADY IN THE DARK, but I'd suggest Malcolm Getz as Russell Paxton, Brendan Fraser as Randy Curtis,  Brent Barrett as Charlie Johnson, and Sylvia McNair, who seems to have jumped ship from opera to the Great American Songbook, as Liza Elliott:  she's seen enough crazy divas to play one....
Interesting choices!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2005, 01:10:03 PM »

I read this morning in VARIETY and again in PLAYBILL that Bill Condon (who wrote CHICAGO and wrote/directed GODS AND MONSTERS and KINSEY) is doing to do double duty on the movie of DREAMGIRLS.

Now, who to cast? He said in the interview that he wants to make a new discovery for the actress playing Effie. But what do you want to bet that Taye Diggs plays one of those Dreamboys?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2005, 01:10:53 PM »

I'd like to see an all-star cast revival of 70 GIRLS 70 - Barbara Cook, Chita Rivera, Patricia Routledge, Elaine Stritch (I can't think of a male star). Judging from the score, the show deserves another life. I think the leads, and the audience, would have a blast.
By this time, John McMartin should be old enough (but he'll never admit it...)

(Didn't realize I was dittoing Matt!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:39:39 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2005, 01:12:09 PM »

I read this morning in VARIETY and again in PLAYBILL that Bill Condon (who wrote CHICAGO and wrote/directed GODS AND MONSTERS and KINSEY) is doing to do double duty on the movie of DREAMGIRLS.

Now, who to cast? He said in the interview that he wants to make a new discovery for the actress playing Effie. But what do you want to bet that Taye Diggs plays one of those Dreamboys?

Frenchie from American Idol as Effie!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2005, 01:17:00 PM »

Whoever they get for Effie, please,  oh! please, let her be able to sing the role...and significantly better than the lady who sang it in "'Dreamgirls' in Concert".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2005, 01:18:01 PM »

When a song demands a certain vocal range, NOBODY is going to be satisfied with a sentimental, but awkward, choice who cannot hit the notes...or sustain them.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2005, 01:18:25 PM »

I have a code in by nose.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2005, 01:18:33 PM »

My tummy is queasy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »

I've got considerable post-nasal drip.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2005, 01:19:05 PM »

And I've had some sneezing fits (8-10 sneezes per fit).

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2005, 01:19:05 PM »

Frenchie from American Idol as Effie!

Beyonce as Deena.

(And though far too old, Whoopi as Lorell)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2005, 01:19:25 PM »

I'm alternately cold, then hot (but don't say "fickle").

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »

I'm on the verge of calling it quits at work for the day and going home to bed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2005, 01:21:29 PM »

I vote that NOBODY from the pop music world be cast in legitimate theatrical roles.

They inevitably irritate, rile and disappoint.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2005, 01:23:33 PM »

I see that my brother covered our dinner Saturday night.  a good time was had by all.

The rest of my Californian weekend was comprised of several shopping jaunts with our mother, accomplishing several chores for her (thereby freeing said brother up for some others that will have to be done at another time), and generally just visting with her.  Only one game of Scrabble (C), and not a particularly stellar one on either of our parts.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »

Except Reba, of course.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2005, 01:24:54 PM »

Ya know, there is an edition of "Scrabble" out there with twice as many letters, with point values increased, both on the tiles and on the bonus squares, and you work with more letters per draw.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2005, 01:27:33 PM »

And oh yes.....we went to a movie whilst G-d was spitting on southern CA.

We saw MEET THE FOCKERS.  It wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be.  In fact, it was kind of stupid, and far more scatalogical than I remember the original being.  

However, it was nice to see La Streisand having a sense of humor again.  Dustin Hoffmann, however, was the one that I thought came off best.  And I love Blythe Danner.  I always have.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »

...Hermione was supposed to serve Welsh Rabbit with the meal, but didn't have the heart (go with me on this.  I know it's "rarebit")....
Didn't have the hart?  Hart is dear!  And I don't mean expensive!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2005, 01:32:39 PM »

I will back up the report of actual sun. It's quite wonderful. Caught up on the posts. Must get back to writing. You won't be seeing my smiling mug until later in the day.

***FEEL BETTER VIBES TO RLP***

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

Elmore, that's what makes horse races.  I actually like much of the music in LADY IN THE DARK andI certainly enjoyed the production I saw.  I find it an interesting and intriguing musical, but not a great musical.  The operatic aspects you mentioned are things I am not overwhelmed with.  Of course, my introduction to this musical besides the bad Ginger Rogers film version which jettisons most, if not all, of the score, was a recording by Opera star Rise Stevens and I found her acting ability a bit limited.  

I'm sort of in-between on casting actors over singers.  I've found some of the most moving musicals I've seen had stronger actors than singers playing the roles.  One of my favourite singers, who introduced probably more classic songs than anyone, was Fred Astaire...who, let's face it, was far from the greatest singer, but had a lot of style and panache and could put over a song.  

One of my favourite film musicals is GOODBYE,MR. CHIPS which is full of mostly negligible, if not lousy, songs (except for one or two) and stars Peter O'Toole who can't sing a jot.  Go figure.

I know a lot of people who worked with Mickey Rooney in dinner theatre in the seventies who would not want to work with him again.  Found him very undisciplined and egotistical.  Said you could not trust him or depend on him onstage.

Well, just took Tewkes on his first long walk in days (weeks, it seems) and, despite the deluge of the past few days, the day is simply glorious.  Around the corner of our little hill, we have vistas of LA that stretch to the sun-glistening ocean.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2005, 01:34:15 PM »

On the Topic o' the Day, Subsection Two:

I have consistently answered this question the same way each time it has been posed here:  No musical's revival could be more timely these days than that of Mr. Marc Blitzstein's The Cradle Will Rock.  Though the story line about unionization may be less current today than at the time of the show's most unusual premiere, the other threads in the piece that deal with corruption, hypocrisy and unfairness in government, the judiciary, religion, business and the press are as valid today as they were then, if not more so....
Ah, yes, how to deal with the union storyline, when unions are saddled with the exact same problems corrupting the govenment, judiciary, relition, business, the press...

There's only one solution...revisicle!

:-\

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »

I second Ron's vote about not casting pop stars...IN ANYTHING!

MattH, though I know the book was probably problematic (and have heard such from its author Peter Stone), I've always found the score to KEAN very moving as well as thematic material of the story.  And then, of course, there is Alfred Drake...who to me is the still the greatest actor/singer of the Broadway stage.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:14:37 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up