Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TECH THAT WASN'T REALLY A TECH  (Read 2558 times)

KevinH

Re: THE TECH THAT WASN'T REALLY A TECH
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »

Page 5!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »

It sounds like peace is coming to the Moore household, albeit a bit slowly, but coming just the same.

I but the bullet and wrote to The Animal Project about the situation here.  I didn't ask to return Thatch, but I hope I made clear my concerns about this not being the best adoption for him.  We'll see what they have to say.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:28:58 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »

Liz Smith has died at the age of 94.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »

That's sad news.  She was always friendly. 
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2017, 04:28:36 PM »

Cat psychology:  Annabelle's being the life of the party tonight, helping me orchestrate, playing with my pencil while I tried to write, sticking her paws in my water glass, playing with Da Bird (first time ever!), playing with her toys.  I wonder if she's reacting to my spending so much time with Thatch today?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »

It sounds like peace is coming to the Moore household, albeit a bit slowly, but coming just the same.

I but the bullet and wrote to The Animal Project about the situation here.  I didn't ask to return Thatch, but I hope I made clear my concerns about this not being the best adoption for him.  We'll see what they have to say.

I am glad you did this.  Maybe they will send someone out to see how things are, offer suggestions or find a better situation for him.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2017, 04:42:09 PM »

Annabelle is sounding rather normal, and fun, to me :)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:28 PM »

More kitty vibes for Elmore.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »

Annabelle is the love of my life.  I was the one who thought she needed a companion.  If we lose Thatch, I will be very sad, but I will never consider adopting another cat.

John G.

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention last night about the Indian movie: There was a warning before the movie about the harms of smoking and drinking. Then, during the movie, whenever someone was shown smoking, the same warning appeared in the lower left of the screen. There was supposed to an intermission (it appeared up on the screen), but the theater didn't have one. Instead they just ran both halves of the movie together. Yet the message was repeated before the second half of the picture. I've never seen that.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »

I read her faithfully for quite a while, but her opinions on the theater often left me angry. She was definitely not a Hal Prince-Sondheim fan.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention last night about the Indian movie: There was a warning before the movie about the harms of smoking and drinking. Then, during the movie, whenever someone was shown smoking, the same warning appeared in the lower left of the screen. There was supposed to an intermission (it appeared up on the screen), but the theater didn't have one. Instead they just ran both halves of the movie together. Yet the message was repeated before the second half of the picture. I've never seen that.

:))

Jane

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »

Annabelle is the love of my life.  I was the one who thought she needed a companion.  If we lose Thatch, I will be very sad, but I will never consider adopting another cat.

Understandable.

FJL

« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2017, 06:07:01 PM »

I read her faithfully for quite a while, but her opinions on the theater often left me angry. She was definitely not a Hal Prince-Sondheim fan.

Funny you mention that.  She would publish comments from reader letters every now and then, and she'd mentioned a letter I wrote her about her column on "Merrily We Roll Along."  My friend Peter called me when it appeared, and said "what the f#@! are you doing in Liz Smith's column?"  (She actually sent me a copy of the clipping from the paper, which arrived in the mail a few days later.)

A remnant of that mention from 1982 actually still shows up on the google squib if you google
"reader fred landau" "liz smith"

John G.

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

Funny you mention that.  She would publish comments from reader letters every now and then, and she'd mentioned a letter I wrote her about her column on "Merrily We Roll Along."  My friend Peter called me when it appeared, and said "what the f#@! are you doing in Liz Smith's column?"  (She actually sent me a copy of the clipping from the paper, which arrived in the mail a few days later.)

A remnant of that mention from 1982 actually still shows up on the google squib if you google

It did, but it was an Elyria, Ohio, paper that wanted $8 to read it.
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »

I’ve had “The Chase” (from some musical) running through my head ..... ALL DAY.

FJL

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »

The write-up there was much more about the producer, Lew Grade, than about my letter to her, but I never forgot that she took the trouble to write me a little note and mail me the clipping, or at least she had her assistant do it.

Laura

« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »

Good evening.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »

DR Sandra and I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Disneyland.

Laura

« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »

Joshie was a feral kitten. It took a long time, but then he decided he adored me and was always in my lap.

Jane

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »

Did you have fun at Disneyland?  Silly question-right ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »

I had an encouraging call from Carol of The Animal Project.  She thinks I'm being impatient and should relax a bit.  I'd agree with that. She also made the very smart observation that if I didn't want him back under the shelves to block the openings with towels and things.  She liked the pet carrier socializing today, eve if it did not end with their being bosom buddies.

She suggested they bring me a large cage used for fostering animals where Thatch could be safe to observe the comings and goings of the apartment and Annabelle could not reach him.  I think this may all work out after all.  She thinks everything will be fine, and I feel much much better at the moment.

FJL

« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »

I had an encouraging call from Carol of The Animal Project.  She thinks I'm being impatient and should relax a bit.  I'd agree with that. She also made the very smart observation that if I didn't want him back under the shelves to block the openings with towels and things.  She liked the pet carrier socializing today, eve if it did not end with their being bosom buddies.

She suggested they bring me a large cage used for fostering animals where Thatch could be safe to observe the comings and goings of the apartment and Annabelle could not reach him.  I think this may all work out after all.  She thinks everything will be fine, and I feel much much better at the moment.

Wonderful development, Larry!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »

Vixmom, that is a great picture, and if you don't mind -- not that you really have a choice in the matter :) -- I really must share it with housemate Nathan who is quite the DR. WHO aficionado.

Which reminds me:  are you aware of a DR. WHO-themed restaurant up here, I think it's in or near Newburgh, NY?

No I have ever heard of a Doctor Who restaurant!  That sounds like fun!  What's it callled?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »

That's great news.
― Voltaire

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »

Lovely photos DR CHAS SMITH!

DR WHO NORTH AMERICA the store is one mile from my house....

I never knew such a thing existed
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

John G.

« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2017, 07:08:54 PM »

The write-up there was much more about the producer, Lew Grade, than about my letter to her, but I never forgot that she took the trouble to write me a little note and mail me the clipping, or at least she had her assistant do it.

That was sweet of her.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »

What a day.  The helpers and the helper's helpers got everything moved save for the bed, end tables, and dresser in my room.  Hard as it is to believe, there are still MORE CDs in one of those end table things.  Unbelievable.  It took three trips in all but I am sitting here like so much fish in a basically empty house - dining table, dining room thing that I still have to empty - we'll call Goodwill to come and get those because we've had no takers.  Grant was at the new house at one, and we placed all the sofas and tables - the TV/audio guy worked through the afternoon and got all that stuff set up except for the rear speakers, which he'll do as soon as he finds two little stands for them, as I don't want them mounted on the wall.  The garage is a disaster at the new house.  I'd asked for them to leave a space for the washer and dryer so she of the Evil Eye could get in there and use them, but alas they did not - it's literally wall to wall boxes and the shelving units, which have to be attached to the walls - then we can at least unbox about twenty boxes and free up that room.  Also, the big CD shelves couldn't go over - they were cheaply made long ago and were literally falling apart.  I'm still unpacking books for the book room but am almost finished with that.

John G.

« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »

What a day.  The helpers and the helper's helpers got everything moved save for the bed, end tables, and dresser in my room.  Hard as it is to believe, there are still MORE CDs in one of those end table things.  Unbelievable.  It took three trips in all but I am sitting here like so much fish in a basically empty house - dining table, dining room thing that I still have to empty - we'll call Goodwill to come and get those because we've had no takers.  Grant was at the new house at one, and we placed all the sofas and tables - the TV/audio guy worked through the afternoon and got all that stuff set up except for the rear speakers, which he'll do as soon as he finds two little stands for them, as I don't want them mounted on the wall.  The garage is a disaster at the new house.  I'd asked for them to leave a space for the washer and dryer so she of the Evil Eye could get in there and use them, but alas they did not - it's literally wall to wall boxes and the shelving units, which have to be attached to the walls - then we can at least unbox about twenty boxes and free up that room.  Also, the big CD shelves couldn't go over - they were cheaply made long ago and were literally falling apart.  I'm still unpacking books for the book room but am almost finished with that.

Sounds like an exhausting day.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »

I'm watching an old soap opera called Island in the Sun with James Mason, Joan Fontaine, Dorothy Dandridge, Joan Collins, Michael Rennie, Stephen Boyd, Harry Belafonte and who knows who all else. Sadly, it's kinda boring, despite the talent. But I think I'm going to have to call it a night and let the second half wait.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up