Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SPRING HAS SPRUNG  (Read 12951 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:SPRING HAS SPRUNG
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2005, 07:13:00 PM »

Yes it rained a LOT here, too, with a bit of thunder but NO lightning.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2005, 07:24:23 PM »

JRand54, I went to Best Buy tonight and they did not have the Midnite Movies that were supposed to be released today!!! They never heard of them!! Said they weren't going to get them!!!

According to reports on other websites there must be a delay in their release as people around the country (yep it isn't just you and me who want these movies! LOL!) have not been able to find them!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2005, 07:29:22 PM »

Shocking news, MBARNUM!!  Shocking news!!!  I am surprised we haven't heard about it on the news yet.

Was it the same Best Buy where you were looking for MANTANGO and QUEEN BEE?  Maybe they have your picture at the checkout stand.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2005, 07:32:54 PM »

The guy who played (and very well and extremely creepily I might add) the Emcee in a production of Cabaret here that I MDd is the DVD salesperson at the Portland Best Buy.  It always creeps me out a little to go in there.  I keep expecting him to start singing Wilkommen or something.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2005, 07:34:07 PM »

Is Queen Bee the one about the fashion designer who turns into a bee?  There was a great article in Premiere years ago about the actress who played her--she had a tragic life, if I'm remembering correctly.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #155 on: March 22, 2005, 07:34:22 PM »

LOL....DR JMK....well hopefully he doesn't wear his costume.

Good TAR episode tonight....frustrating for some teams.  Beautiful scenery as usual.  Be sure to watch the previews for next week!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: March 22, 2005, 07:35:13 PM »

OMG DRJMK - NO!!!  Boy, where is your movie head tonight?  That was Susan Cabot starring in THE WASP WOMAN!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: March 22, 2005, 07:35:32 PM »

And yes she did, her son killed her.

JMK

« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2005, 07:37:13 PM »

OMG DRJMK - NO!!!  Boy, where is your movie head tonight?  That was Susan Cabot starring in THE WASP WOMAN!

I told you years ago my movie knowledge is extremely deep but incredibly narrow.   ;D  Wasp Woman, Queen Bee, hey, I was in the ballpark.  That's better than I usually do.  At least I know Elephant Boy is not the prequel to Elephant Man.  I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2005, 07:38:24 PM »

My local DVD joint (where they get advance promo copies) had two of the new MGM Midnite Movies series (double bill sets of things I had separately) - she says there won't be any problem getting the one I really want, which is The Last Man on Earth and Panic in the Year Zero duo.  I got The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake and Voodoo Island there about five weeks ago.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #160 on: March 22, 2005, 07:38:39 PM »

It's not?  Boy, you learn something everyday.

Susan Cabot's story is told in detail at www.findadeath.com as are many other stories.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2005, 07:39:43 PM »

Hmmmmmmm.....well I wonder if THUNDER ALLEY/FIREBALL 500 will be readily available somewhere.

Very strange.

Time to watch some Dark Shadows episodes!

Jed

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »

So many lovely liquids I enjoy...  
On the soda side of things, I'm a Dr Pepper guy, but also like a Coke, Sprite, root beer, or Cherry Pepsi (sorry Sandra!) now and then.  Red wines most always beat out whites for me, particularly shiraz and zinfandel.  Love iced tea during the summer, but NOT sweetened!  Looks like I'm very much in the minority around here being a beer drinker, a few favorites being Alaskan Amber, Widmer Hefeweisen, and Mirror Pond Pale Ale.  Just don't waste my time with any of that watery cheap stuff!  In the realm of hard alcohol, I'll often go for a whiskey sour.  Hard to beat a good lime margarita, or a gin and tonic (Bombay Sapphire always tops, but will take most any gin other than Tanqueray).  Also a fan of such things as Frangelico, Irish Creme, Chambourd, Kahlua, butterscotch schnapps...  Goodness, I'm sounding like as much of a lush as Jose!  :D  Not, however, a fan of most fruit juice based cocktails.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JMK

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2005, 07:42:48 PM »

Speaking of Midnite Movies, I am almost through my mad rush to finish off MGM/UA titles in order to return them for my sparkling $7.10 per title.  I am listening to the Frankenheimer commentary on The Train, then I have Cry of the Banshee (Midnite Movie), which I may or may not watch all the way through, then the commentary to Chocolat (which the arbitrator I spoke to could not explain why it, a Miramax film, was on the list, be she confirmed it was).  Then off in the mail and counting the days until my several hundred dollars arrive.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2005, 07:56:36 PM »

I told you years ago my movie knowledge is extremely deep but incredibly narrow.   ;D  Wasp Woman, Queen Bee, hey, I was in the ballpark.  That's better than I usually do.  At least I know Elephant Boy is not the prequel to Elephant Man.

It isn't?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »

I've never liked the taste of champagne, even really good and expensive champagne. Just not for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2005, 08:04:49 PM »

I can't talk about MEDIUM either since I did get it on the DVR, but I didn't have time to watch it today. Tomorrow possibly.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2005, 08:11:23 PM »

IDOL tonight was outstanding for many of the singers. I didn't quite go as ape over Carrie Underwood as everyone else did (she did fine, but the background vocalist who was singing the high part was WAY too loud and overshadowed Carrie, I thought).

Other than Mikalah who always does a horrible job (and tonight was as bad as she's ever been; poor thing started out with a frog in her throat on the very first note), everyone else was otherwise good to superb. Constantine was not on tonight as he has been for the last two weeks, and Nadia chose a song that didn't show any colors in her voice, but their voices still delivered.

Worst of the night other than Mikalah I thought was Vonzell and COnstantine.

I think the bottom three will be Mikalah, Vonzell, and Anthony.

(At 10:40, I called each person's number, and not one person had a busy signal. I found this astonishing. Dring the Clay-Ruben year, even this early in the competition, lines stayed busy the entire voting time. True, they could have more lines now, but I still was surprised no one had a busy signal that late.)

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: March 22, 2005, 08:14:10 PM »

I didn't get around to DEADWOOD either as I had hoped. I put in THE BAND WAGON to listen to the commentary. I have to say I find Liza annoying, at least on this commentary and in the documentary accompanying the film.

MBarnum

« Reply #169 on: March 22, 2005, 08:56:39 PM »

Shocking news, MBARNUM!!  Shocking news!!!  I am surprised we haven't heard about it on the news yet.

Was it the same Best Buy where you were looking for MANTANGO and QUEEN BEE?  Maybe they have your picture at the checkout stand.

LOL! You may be right!

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: March 22, 2005, 09:00:27 PM »

My local DVD joint (where they get advance promo copies) had two of the new MGM Midnite Movies series (double bill sets of things I had separately) - she says there won't be any problem getting the one I really want, which is The Last Man on Earth and Panic in the Year Zero duo.  I got The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake and Voodoo Island there about five weeks ago.

Aak! Those are the ones that I wanted to buy today!

Well, I know they will show up eventually...and besides, it isn't like I don't have enough movies waiting around to be viewed already! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #171 on: March 22, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »

I am taping TAR tonight. It has been a long day and I think it will soon be time to go beddy bye! But first I must find the cat and let him in!

MBarnum

« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2005, 09:05:51 PM »

Also, I read that Jason Evers (a.k.a Herb Evers) passed away last week....star of THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2005, 09:51:24 PM »

Has Ann caught up?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2005, 09:58:49 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from the Opera...

Boy, am I glad I only paid $20 for my Standing Room ticket, and not $240 like the people who were sitting right in front of me...  The main thought that started going through my head about 10 minutes into Cavalleria Rusticana, was "Boy, is that one hoary chestnut!"  (-Said to the inflection of, "That is one spicy meatball!")

The operas weren't bad, just extremely old-fashioned. Yes, I knew that going in, but I had forgotten how dated the Zeffirelli staging and design was too.  And considering how big the Met stage is, and how "opulent" the sets and costumes are, there are still those very awkward bits of staging that make it seem like Zeffirelli was working in a black box space.  It also didn't help that the program notes state how nothing really happens in either opera until the closing scenes, so...  And then there was the good ole Metropolitan Opera Chorus.  Singers, yes.  Actors, not really.  Comfortable moving and singing at the same time, eh.  In any case...

Good singers tonight.  The tenor in Pagliacci was making his debut.  He did well, but his voice was the smallest and weakest of the cast.  He also did not move that well - well, at least "chase" that well.  There were more than a few giggles as he halumphed across the stage trying to catch Silvio.  Patricia Racette was in glorious voice as Nedda, and Juan Pons set the bar high after his opening "Prologo".

Starting the evening off, Cav was Cav.  After the orchestra prelude, we hear Turridu singing off-stage.  Then after that, there's another long orchestral interlude while Santuzza keeps "emoting" on stage, and the chorus comes on to show off their various costumes.  Generally good voices, with the women outshining the men.  There were also some unintentional giggles as a result of the casting.  Santuzza was being sung by the Lithuanian soprano, Violeta Urmana.  She is built very solid - not fat, and, well, Lithuanian.  On the tall side too.  Her two competing love interests were played by men of a more squat and stout nature.  I had the impression she was keeping herself hunched over in a few places in order to make her appear more weak and vulnerable.  The "fight" was pretty laughable between her and Turridu, Eduardo Villa.  I would have put the money on her!

However, the biggest giggle and laugh moment - which happens each time this opera is done - occurred right after Turridu has challenged Alfio, Frederick Burchinal, to a duel.  They trade their words, and a few moments after Alfio leaves the stage, Turrido cries out, "Mamma!... Mamma!!" to his Mamma Lucia.  And then goes on to say that he thinks the wine made him dizzy.  -Only in the world of opera.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2005, 10:09:15 PM »

Good evening
I'm a fan of many beverages, hot and cold.  Always gotta have my coffee, especially fond of espresso drinks like lattes, vanilla flavored.  I'm also one who enjoys a glass of nice cold milk, and I am truly sorry that some of you folks can't enjoy the same.  Chocolate milk has been a favorite, of course, and grape juice too.  Can't go wrong with a nice milkshake, chocolate or vanilla.  Some of the fancier DQ flavors are excellent too.  
I like wine, preferring red to white almost always.  Unlike DR Jed, I am not a fan of beer.  I prefer hard stuff when I drink...a gin and tonic, whiskey sour, apple martini, cosmopolitian, mudslide, long island iced tea...okay, better stop before I sound too much like I spend every night boozing it up.  I really don't :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2005, 10:15:51 PM »

However, the biggest shock of the evening was watching the audience. And their utter lack of decorum.

I had a standing room ticket.  Standing room at the Met isn't that bad.  You get a numbered space, and they have these "troughs" set up at the back of the house - three rows of standing room 'seating'.  And each person also gets a Met Titles screen for their use or non-use.  Well...

The two ladies next to me... And the young couple in front of me...  And some of the guys behind me... Etc., etc., etc... Kept craning their necks during the whole first half.  At first I thought it was just the fact that it was Standing Room and they were trying to get a better look at the top part of the set.  Well, it turns out they were scouting out regular seats for the second half of the evening.  So, at least I had some extra arm room for the second half of the evening.

And then came the curtain calls.  As soon as the orchestra played the final notes, at least 1/4 of the audience got up and started heading towards the exit.  Even before anyone had come out for a bow.  It was particularly bad - and sad - after Pagliacci finished.  There were so many people just heading on their merry way out the door, and, again, even before anyone was out to take their bows.  And Pagliacci is the better, meatier part of the double-bill.  There was practically no one left sitting in the orchestra section by the time the three leads came out to take their bows.  And by the time the final group bow took place, it was very pitiful.

I mean...  You've paid a lot for your tickets.  You know nothing at the Met ends before 11:00 - even on a weeknight.  You supposedly are a patron and supporter of the Arts.  And you LOVE the Opera.

UGH!  Kind of disgusted me.  Well, not kind of, it did.

End of rant.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2005, 10:18:45 PM »

And I ran into DE&TR Jason at the Coat Check, and we chatted for a bit on the walk to the subway.  He's doing well, but very busy.  Once the Met season ends in May, he may even have enough waking hours to lurk.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #178 on: March 22, 2005, 10:22:40 PM »

Another review of DR PennyO's show... http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=2605
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jed

« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2005, 10:24:07 PM »

...okay, better stop before I sound too much like I spend every night boozing it up.  I really don't :D

Not since paychecks stopped coming in, anyway. ;)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up