Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SPRING HAS SPRUNG  (Read 12740 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SPRING HAS SPRUNG
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:00:33 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're now all Springy, you've got that spring thing, Spring will NOT hang you up the most, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come Springing home.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 12:00:49 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SPRING HAS SPRUNG
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: FLAMBOYANT!

If there's FLAMBOYANT can there be FLAMGIRLANT?

I must now toddle off to the bedroom environment, where I hope I shall be able to sleep, what with the smell of newly varnished floorboards.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 12:06:17 AM »

BUTT - before I go, might I just say - FLAMBOYANT!

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:49:40 AM »

My favourite wines... how lucky are we here -  Excellent wines available at very reasonable prices. Prefer red wines these days - or dry white. Merlot is probably my favourite drop at the moment.

DR Kerry will appreciate my good fortune in living near the Yarra Valley.  My niece's partner runs a vinyard in the Yarra Valley - the estate was Nellie Melba's property.

My favourite French wine is "Morgon" - that will mean something to a few DRs!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 12:50:54 AM »

My mail today included a copy of "Passion" in Dutch.  (That reads like  DR George post!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 12:52:54 AM »

My mail today included a copy of "Passion" in Dutch.  (That reads like  DR George post!)

;D A man after my own heart! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 01:01:07 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day:  Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice...in just about every situation.  I don't have anything against alcohol at all, it's just that I don't like it.  Never have.  I remember when my family lived in Colorado (when I was between 6 and 10 years old), my sister and I were getting our first (I think first, or maybe very early) communion.  The priest dipped the host into the wine and put it on my tongue.  I couldn't stand it.  I ran out the front of the church and spit it all out...it literally made me vomit on the ground!  Now, I can tolerate the taste/feel of it, but I just have no desire to drink it unless there is some special occasion or toast.

Otherwise, at the local Eagan's Drive-In hamburger joint, they make shakes.  My favorite is peanut butter/chocolate.  Very tasty!  And over where my parents live is a place called Norma's.  They have a large variety of shake flavors.  Very, VERY tasty!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 01:07:07 AM »

It's now 1:10 a.m. and I must get some sleep.  Goodnight, Tomofoz!  I hope you enjoy the Dutch cast recording of Stephen Sondheim's Passion, especially since TODAY, March 22, is his 75th Birthday!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BK'S CLOSE AND PERSONAL FRIEND, STEPHEN SONDHEIM!!

And, Happy Birthday to Andrew Lloyd Webber!  (Today is his birthday, too...but he's only 57. :))

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 03:13:57 AM »

I've never heard a peanut butter/chocolate flavor shake...It must be rich and savory. :P :D  :P

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 04:27:15 AM »

Good morning, all!  My socializing continues:  tonight I'm having dinner with British actor/director Martin Conor, with whom I worked on OH, KAY! at Goodspeed, and BABES IN TOYLAND for The Houston Grand Opera, and tomorrow night I'm dining with our WF Orr and Joe.  It's been a whirlwind week, and I've loved every minute.

DRJose, you are always welcome to play Watson to my Holmes (or vice versa), but I'm up at the crack of dawn and you seem to rise at the crack of noon!  If we can get our schedules in sync, we might discover the lost chord.

Dinner last night, with DRs Danise, Rodzinski, and Jose was a sparkling event, covering sundried topics and Artie cuisine.  To quote THE FANTASTICKS, "La! How jolly."

Drinks:  a really good strawberry shake, gin and tonic, vodka and tonic, rum and coke, and good soda fountain cherry coke, with the cola a satisfying blend of syrup and carbonation and real cherry syrup.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 04:43:46 AM »

Well, this morning (11:30am) is Anthony's callback and he is as prepared as he can be. It's now out of his hands (for the most part).

Happy Birthday to Mr. Sondheim!

Vixmom, I meant to to talk about this on Saturday but we didn't get much time together. Donald's Radio Show is only available on the Internet. Though your computer at work doesn't have speakers, if you have headphones with a long cord, or a long adapter cord you can plug the cord into the back of the computer where the speaker cord would normally be inserted and then listen through the headphones, no speakers needed. You have to do it through the back of the computer (using the speaker plug hole), not the front which often has a headphone port  above or below the CD/DVD drive.

I use this technique to listen to my show, Donald's show and all the BBC shows. The problem with that is, you may not be allowed to listen to music at work. I know that some of our Dear Readers can't listen to Internet radio or even post (TCB for example) at work. If you would be allowed to listen to Internet radio stations, the other issue to consider is that for both Donald's show and my show you need a piece of software (easily available) called Real Player. If you don't have it you can't listen to the show(s). If you are allowed to download programs or your tech person can download it for you then you should have no problem listening to the program(s). You can dowload Real Player, set it up and then mosey on over to Donald's radio program, plug in your headphones and listen. If all this works for you and you listen to Donald's program then I can send you instructions on how to listen to my program (when I'm on which is not every week). If you can't do what I've outlined above, as Bruce mentioned, he will talk to Donald about putting some of the Radio Shows on CD. Since this is turning into an epic post I will PM you info about a possible way to hear my other reviews on the BBC if it turns out you can't listen to Internet radio at work.

When I drink, which is very infrequently, I do like amaretto and soda or sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of brewed unsweetened iced tea.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 05:36:44 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 05:44:40 AM »

Great NYC pics DR Ginny (and those who posted before her).

Good vibes to DR Ann. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DR Jose, great description of another fun dinner.  Food sounds good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 05:52:25 AM »

Damn!  My top door lock is screwed up, and now I'm stuck here waiting for a locksmith to come over and repair it.

I have to be at the NYPL Theatre collection around 1 pm, so I might as well enjoy the time I'm stuck here.  Maybe I'll imitate DRMattH and watch a DVD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 05:56:32 AM »

Good morning...

Back to reality (work) today, but only for 3 days, then I'm on vacation until April 5.

Wish I'd been there for dinner last night with Danise, Elmore, Jose, and Rodzinski.  Elmore, why have I never been to Artie's?

Rodzinski - a very belated happy birthday.

Vixmom - Congratulations to the Vixter on her part in Peter Pan.  Does she get to fly?  Also, tell her the chocolate came from a place in Cincinnati where we'll go for ice cream (their real specialty) when you and she come for her American Girl Kit tour!

Jose - I didn't find my kite cookie cutter yet.  I have a couple of places to try between home and work, but if you happen upon one, please let me know.  Laura and I stopped in Bed, Bath & Beyond Sunday, where you could buy a bucket of 100 cookie cutters.  There must have been a kite in there somewhere.  Also, half-price tickets to Mamma Mia sound great - count on 2 for me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 07:01:19 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 06:03:18 AM »

TOD - I usually have a Manhattan when I'm in Manhattan, but I didn't this past weekend.  Guess I'll just have to have 2 the next time!

Also, scotch and soda with a lemon twist.

I'm not much of a soft drink person, just lightly flavored sparkling water.  But, I'm such a coffee-holic that 2 different people have given me pads of post-its that say "My Blood Type is Coffee."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 06:04:27 AM »

Elmore, I hope you get sprung (like spring) from your apartment soon  ;)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 06:20:45 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Joyeux Anniversaire Monsieur Sondheim![/move]

I am going to celebrate by listening to all sondheim all day. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming Passion concert on PBS.

Busy! Busy! Busy! Off to my second class of the day. I hoep everyone has a great day.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 06:31:36 AM »

DR Joey - thank you for sharing your Godspell pictures yesterday - looks like fun!  I hope to meet you next month at Mamma Mia.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 07:04:05 AM »

I don't drink much but I’d always love to have a wine called “Fragolino” since I ran across it during my Italy trip about tree years ago. It was in Como. I mean FRESH Fragolino, not bottled one, which is very tasty and wonderfully sweet smell with a tinge of romantic rose'. Unfortunately it doesn’t exist anywhere in Japan.  Is there any winery in which FRESH Fragolino is produced, in California?  

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 07:08:05 AM »

I am a coffee person...I really enjoy a nice cup of coffee...usually black.

For soda my pleasure is Diet Vanilla Cherry Dr. Pepper! I just discovered it for myself a few weeks back and it is quite tasty!

For alcoholic drinks I like martinis..particularly the flavored ones like Green Apple or Chocolate!

At home I usually just drink water, however.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005, 07:08:11 AM »

Yikes - one day off and I feel like a truck hit me!!! One more day off, TODAY, and I'll be rarin' to go into a second week of performances. Got one very nice review from Richmond Shepard on livelyarts - he praised Ludmilla Przk's sparkly costumes (you all remember Ludmilla Przk, don'tcha? from the novel?)...

and one strange and quite quotable review on Broadway.com -- it ended with "someone hire this actress, before we get a sequel!" and finished with JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY by Peggy Orloff -- a tad dyslexic?? (He didn't like Ludmilla Przk's sparkly costumes. Thought they looked leftover from the '80's...)  Also he had mis-heard the Romeo and Juliet episode, and thought I had been shot. Thought the parents were "unsupportive".  Thought it was memoir, hidden in a pretend fiction, because of my massive insecurity...

mind you, the piece IS littered with "truth" - that really WAS my first NYC apartment.... but there was no English playwright, no Lapinsky, no French conductor, no Heinrich Unlaut, those odd funny little Jews are decidedly NOT my parents (you can ask BK,. who has known MY parents all his life...), no suicide attempts, no changing my name to get roles...

the guy thought Vladimir Lapinsky's staging was "clumsy" - hahahahaha. You all remember Vlad, don'tcha? From the novel? Anyway, it annoyed said unnamed reviewer NO END that I didn't 'fess up that it was all TRUE, and use my own name. If I were going to pretend it was fiction, at least make it more interesting... but I WILL quote him, I most definitely WILL quote him - "a POWERHOUSE performance" -- even if I seemed desperate for attention.

anyhow, thanks all of you wonderful people for paying attention to my desperate little self...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 07:10:25 AM »

Drink: I do plain water... my guilty pleasure is caffeine-free diet pepsi. I had a really WONDERFUL sour apple martini about a year ago at the Warner Center at Columbus Cirlce. I drink about a gallon of coffee every morning, to get my brain whizzing. Gives me what feels like GREAT INTELLIGENCE for 3 or 4 hours. Huzzah!!! I'm buzzing right now from a caffeine blast! I may just go get some more!!!!!
PennyO

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 07:19:33 AM »

DR MBarnum, I love Diet Dr. Pepper and have seen ads on tv for the vanilla/cherry version. But I don't think they sell it here yet.  In fact I"m still waiting for diet cream soda.  Growing up that was my favorite soft drink and i'm dying to try the diet version.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 07:31:26 AM »

Good Morning!

No donuts.  Yet.  Not Now.  Soon.  Later.  (Ah, yes, another Sondheim reference.)

I sort of slept in today - hey, DR elmore, it's only 10:30! ;) - since I didn't sleep that well last night.  My mind would just not go to sleep last night.  I started going through my schedule for the rest of this week, then next week's trip to Memphis... Then Indy...  Then...  *And I also found out that the other bedroom where I'm currently staying will be available starting May 1, so...  Hmmm....  Just lots of stuff.  I don't think my mind settled down until somewhere around 4:30am.  But what sleep I did get was very good sleep.

My alarm clock this morning at 9:30 was... "Edison!  EDISON!!"  -Actually, it sounded more like "Ed-Son!  ED-SON!" laced with a very Hispanic accent.  Ah, the gas and electric man!  Who knew they still existed - hasn't that sketch been cut from Working?  ;)

So, I let him in, he read the meter in the kitchen, then headed right back out.  Then for the next couple of minutes, I could hear him knocking on each door, and calling out, "ED-SON".  Door by door, and floor by floor.  -This apartment is on the first floor, so...  It was kind of neat, a sort of aural tour of the building's stairwell.  And sometimes, I'd hear a tenant go, "WHO!?!?", then he'd say, "GAS MAN!"

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 07:33:09 AM »

(Hey, the "Peggy Orloff" has now been changed to "Penny Orloff")

And I have been an ungrateful diva bitch - the review I alluded to above has apparently prompted folks to buy tickets. Sheesh, you'd think after all these years I would have developed a tad more graciousness. Ah, well... I yam what I yam.

The real truth - which the reviewer DID get - and which I did not disguise - is that I do a whole show, in lieu of an audition. "Auditions are terrible. They make you forget that Showbiz is wonderful." A real mishegas for me. I just don't do auditions...
PennyO

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 07:38:38 AM »

It is going to be a crazy day , no time to  post will check on all you lovely people tonight
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 07:42:42 AM »

As for drinks...

Iced Tea - Sweetened when I'm below the Mason-Dixon Line, and unsweetened when I'm above it.  Usually, when I'm in Richmond and points South, "sweet tea" is usually understood when one orders "iced tea".  You usually have to specify "unsweetened, please."

Soft drinks - I don't drink as much as I used to, but when I do have a soft drink, it's usually a Coke or Pepsi, Regular or Diet.  I also like Dr. Pepper, Birch Beer, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Cheer Wine (when I can find it - it's no longer distributed in Richmond sadly), Ginger Ale (I prefer Canada Dry and Vernor's), etc., etc., etc.   I also like the old-fashioned soda fountain flavors:  Orange, Orange Cream, Grape, Strawberry.   And I like the "boutique" line of sodas put out by Boylan's too.

-Guess I haven't really cut back on my consumption of sodas.  -Oh, and I did have a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray last night with my dinner.

Adult beverages - Gin & Tonic - preferably Tanqueray.  A "T&T" was the first drink I ever tried, and it's the one I go back to time and again when I do imbibe.  I also like almost anything with Amaretto.  I tried a Rusty Nail once - Drambuie and ?? - and practically spit it out - I found out why it's called a Rusty Nail.  Then there are all the Vodka and Juice variations:  Fuzzy Navel, Greyhound, Cape Cod.

Then there's Sambuca (I prefer the Black), Frangelico, Patron Silver (Tequila), etc...

-Sheesh, I sound like a lush!  I better stop now.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »

Hmmm... I was re-reading last night's late posts, and noticed that when I was announcing Page 6, I should have been announcing Page 7!

Oops!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 07:45:34 AM »

OK - I need to take care of an e-mail or two...

Then I shall be back...

Then I shall head for the donuts.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

TOD:  I like dark reds.  Betsy and I had a delicious Barbera (Hanna?) at her office holiday party.

Peggnny:  I drink a gallon of coffee every morning, too!!  Do you think that's why I need an afternoon nap every day?  I don't care--I love to sleep.

Today's thought provoking headline from the Oregonian department:

Man shot by police was waving umbrella

Pray for us nor'westerners, y'all.  It's huntin' season.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up