Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT WAS THIRTY YEARS AGO TODAY  (Read 20511 times)

MBarnum

Re:IT WAS THIRTY YEARS AGO TODAY
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005, 06:58:38 AM »

DR Ben, thank you for the BBC Bollywood link! That is right up my alley!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005, 07:10:05 AM »

I just caught up with yesterday's notes

Poor Poor DR elmore...

I hope this will all be resolved for you very soon  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005, 07:30:54 AM »

DR Elmore, actually, I agree with you. I guess I should have said that Angela played a matriarch who PRETENDED to be blind to her son's actions, for she's was much too smart a woman not to know what was going on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 07:33:47 AM »

Happy Birthday George!

Oddly, that has become a real catchphrase since my trip to Canada. The groom-to-be was called onto the stage for a dance for what I'll call a bit of burlesque. At some point late in the "routine", the p.a. announcer is going on in French, saying something none of us can understand, which he concludes with, "Happy Birthday, George!!"

Something had gotten lost in the translation as my pal's name is Josh, and it was not his birthday. Of course, he became "George" from that point on.

But to DR George, a sincere Happy Birthday!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 07:33:57 AM »

Cult films. Well, something like VALLEY OF THE DOLLS was too big a hit in its day to be called a true cult film, but it has become one over the years due to its camp value.

I guess THIS IS SPINAL TAP would also be my choice or, if it counts, MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL.

I never really got into the cult movies that used to play the midnight circuit: HAROLD & MAUDE, KING OF HEARTS, ROCKY HORROR, KENTUCKY FRIED MOVIE.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 07:37:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR GEORGE!!![/move]

So, tell us what it's like to finally turn thirty?

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 07:38:12 AM »

Another film that I really enjoy watching repeatedly would be MYRA BRECKINRIDGE. Just wanted to throw that one in for extra measure.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 07:39:16 AM »

Well, I booked my tickets for four shows for this August in NYC. I'll be seeing SPAMALOT, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, THE 24th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, and DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 07:44:28 AM »

DR Elmore, actually, I agree with you. I guess I should have said that Angela played a matriarch who PRETENDED to be blind to her son's actions, for she's was much too smart a woman not to know what was going on.

Oh, yeah, she was definitely evil!  Perhaps not so wicked as her role in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, but that maternal sweetness she put in on public was quite an act.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 08:08:18 AM »

Matt H said:

"Well, I booked my tickets for four shows for this August in NYC. I'll be seeing SPAMALOT, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, THE 24th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, and DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS."

And for this trip, unless something untoward occurs, they should all be open by the time you get here (unlike Assassins last year).

Ben

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2005, 08:08:49 AM »

Of course, how could I forget The First Nudie Musical as a favorite cult film.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »

And I forgot about BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 08:23:27 AM »

Contgratulations, DR Ann!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 08:23:51 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR George!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 08:24:38 AM »

I keep thinking I'm forgetting something...oh!

[size=20]Happy Anniversary, Esteemed BK!!![/size]

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2005, 08:27:13 AM »

Congratulations to DR Ann! :)

DR MattH, I agree, I was so happy that Scott got booted off Idol last night, I was practically jumping up and down!

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2005, 08:31:23 AM »

DR MattH RE: ALIAS (don't read if you don't want to know).

I'm curious which part you were referring to (the interesting developments from last night's show).  

I actually enjoyed the episode very much.  Especially the scene with Jack and Syd in the kitchen.  It made me teary!

And btw, I was extremely unhappy to see a healthy Jack in upcoming previews.  Granted I gathered he wasn't going anywhere.  But still, I don't think they should have done that!

Btw2, did anything happen between the part when Sophia was at the safe to when Nadia & boyfriend walked in.   I was changing tapes, so all I saw was Sophia and glasses guy breaking in, and then next second Nadia and boyfriend were coming in.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2005, 08:35:59 AM »

Der Brucer is itching to watch POTO.  If we must, I guess we must.   :-\

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2005, 08:45:47 AM »

Matt H said:

"Well, I booked my tickets for four shows for this August in NYC. I'll be seeing SPAMALOT, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, THE 24th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, and DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS."

And for this trip, unless something untoward occurs, they should all be open by the time you get here (unlike Assassins last year).

LOL! That's exactly why CHITTY CHITTY is there instead of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, though I read it's playing until September, but I wasn't taking any chances. The cast recording of PIAZZA will have to suffice.

BTW, SPAMALOT was the hardest to get tickets for without question. I got 2nd row for SPELLING BEE (though in the Circle in the Square, that's probably no great accomplishment.), 4th row for CHITTY, and 10th row for SCOUNDRELS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2005, 08:46:59 AM »

A very happy 5/5/05 birthday to the Pacific Northwest's own DR George!

Cute card!  But he looks to be about 25 years too young for me, but I can wait a little. ;) Thanks!  And thank you to everyone for the wonderful (as usual) HHW Birthday Wishes!!  You're all the best! :-* :-* :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2005, 08:47:14 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) ;) :D ;D 8) :-* :) ;) :D ;D 8) :-* :) ;) :D ;D 8) :-*

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:44 AM »

ALIAS spoilers

DR Jennifer, I was referring to Jack's hallucinations early in the show making us think he was in a real clinic getting treatment instead of in a dingy warehouse injecting himself. That took me totally by surprise. Then, bringing in the doctor who he was hallucinating about (albeit a much older looking version of him, an inspired stroke) after that elaborate set-up where Sydney played her mother to get Jack to reveal the doctor's whereabouts. Very usual episode.

Yep, Garner and Garber played that scene beautifully.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 08:52:01 AM »

More ALIAS spoilers

To the best of recollection, nothing of import happened during those few seconds that you were switching out tapes. Of course, the glasses guy was murdered by Sophia, but I'm guessing you saw that.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2005, 08:54:11 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And Congratulations to BK for 30 Wonderful "Nudie" Years!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2005, 09:07:42 AM »

BTW, SPAMALOT was the hardest to get tickets for without question. I got 2nd row for SPELLING BEE (though in the Circle in the Square, that's probably no great accomplishment.), 4th row for CHITTY, and 10th row for SCOUNDRELS.

Geez Louise! Who do you know to get such good seats?
Where you sitting for Spamalot?

When in August will you be up here?  maybe we can organize a mini HHW brunch or somthin' Jose should be here  by then and he could bring us (not treat us) to the best food in town  :D

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2005, 09:08:07 AM »

Sorry to be late joining the festivities on this Cinco de Mayo.

Happiest of birthdays to DR George!

Happiest 30th "Nudie" anniversary to BK!

Happiest job congratulations to DR Ann!

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »

I don't watch  AI however I was flipping trhought the channels because my beloved West Wing wasn't on and saw Ai just beginning so Iwatched the opening, that Bo  (is that the right name? Long hair, beard...) caught my eye...  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 09:13:19 AM »

One of the by-products of the remake of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE is that idiot reviewers have now begun to write that Angela Lansbury played Eleanor Iselin - when of course in the book and the original (superior) film, the character NEVER was referred to by a first name, but always as Mrs. Iseling OR Raymond's mother.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2005, 09:14:12 AM »

LAST NIGHT'S ALIAS:

ALIAS spoilers

DR Jennifer, I was referring to Jack's hallucinations early in the show making us think he was in a real clinic getting treatment instead of in a dingy warehouse injecting himself. That took me totally by surprise. Then, bringing in the doctor who he was hallucinating about (albeit a much older looking version of him, an inspired stroke) after that elaborate set-up where Sydney played her mother to get Jack to reveal the doctor's whereabouts. Very usual episode.

Yep, Garner and Garber played that scene beautifully.

Ah yes I was also surprised by Jack's hallucinations.  Especially considering last week when he cut the thingie out of his hand (how exactly did he get those in there in the first place??).

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2005, 09:15:11 AM »

Happy Birthday George!

Oddly, that has become a real catchphrase since my trip to Canada. The groom-to-be was called onto the stage for a dance for what I'll call a bit of burlesque. At some point late in the "routine", the p.a. announcer is going on in French, saying something none of us can understand, which he concludes with, "Happy Birthday, George!!"

Something had gotten lost in the translation as my pal's name is Josh, and it was not his birthday. Of course, he became "George" from that point on.

But to DR George, a sincere Happy Birthday!

How did it happen that the bachelor party was held in Montreal?  is the groom living there or did it just seem like a party town to you all?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up