Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLITTING HEADACHE  (Read 16036 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE SPLITTING HEADACHE
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2005, 12:46:53 PM »

It's a sad day when form is more important than content, but there you are.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2005, 12:47:49 PM »

Put in another MURDER SHE WROTE episode. Strangely, the image on this one isn't as sharp as the Jerry Orbach episode I watched yesterday. I guess a lot of these older TV shows have varying degreees of quality due to their age, storage facilities, original camerawork, etc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2005, 12:49:21 PM »

Page Four Dancing Letters!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2005, 12:49:24 PM »

We put the finishing touches on Act I blocking last night, so tonight, we run Act I. I will attempt it off book, but I'm sure there will be places I'll need prompting, especially as to the blocking, some of which I only got last night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2005, 12:57:26 PM »

Have a great rehearsal DRMATTH!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2005, 12:58:30 PM »

That's what I find for an actual ad for an actual typewriter at this site.  Who knew they still made them?

Pitch Selection: 10(pica),
12 (elite), 15 (micro)

And (according to the listing), At a cost of $ 259.00 and only $ 9.95 S&H to any continental USA address, what a deal! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2005, 01:31:27 PM »

Lots of familiar typewriters on EBAY right now.  What a lot of different designs!

Jennifer

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2005, 01:37:22 PM »

SPOILERS FOR LAST NIGHT'S MEDIUM.

DR MattH, re: your comments on last night's MEDIUM.

I liked how the girl was brought into things at the end.  But I didn't really like the concept for last night's show.  I'm sure there are sick people who hear voices.  And while I can believe that there are people like Alison who exist, I don't get the whole "demon" thing.  I really had a hard time believing that the killer from the last century was able to invade the bodies of his choice.  It just didn't seem possible to me.  There are a few shows that I watch with supernatural occurences (CHARMED & SMALLVILLE).  But in those cases I am working with the premise that I will accept witches or superman.  For MEDIUM, to me it's supposed to be very real.  And this episode just seemed too much for my brain.  Perhaps this was based on an actual case (as some of the shows are).  But it just seemed too out there to me for the little SUMMERLAND girl to be talking in the voice of the English serial killer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2005, 01:38:01 PM »

Actually DR RLP - Miss Hayes was an accomplished pianist who played a Beethoven sonata as her talent in the Miss America Contest of 1949.  Among her other favorite composers were Chopin and Edward MacDowell.

Actually, DR JRand54, I knew that because of a post you made yesterday.  Hence...my allusion to playing an accompaniment with her left hand.

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2005, 01:38:54 PM »

I was walking through Office Depot the other day and turned down an aisle that had "typewriters." They were really glorified word processors rather than the typewriters many of us grew up with, but they still looked odd to me now after using computer keyboards to type on for the last three decades.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »

Thank you, DR JRand. Despite people's illnesses all around me, so far my voice hasn't been affected. (knocking on wood as I type).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2005, 01:45:05 PM »

I watched MEDIUM while cooking my dinner. The dreams were interesting, and the villain she was facing unique (all to the good), but I thought her resolution with the demon was just too pat, too easy. I didn't feel satisfied at the end.

And that, to my way of thinking, is more of the "reality" of such situations that DR Jennifer didn't feel it had.

I looked at it this way:  The "demon" was a very specific entity.  It may or may not have limitations on how often it can do its miserable deeds, but there are documented cases of people committing heinous acts who claimed to have been instructed by voices.  Believe or do not believe.

In this show, Allison had a very specific dream about a specific girl and she felt she was supposed to help that girl.  She had no power to destroy the demon or to prevent it from moving on, but she gambled that she could save the girl from the possession.  She picked her battleground, so to speak, and fought the conflict she was equipped to fight.

Just as in life, we often tackle that which we are equipped to handle and live to fight another problem on another day.

It wasn't all pat and rosy at the end...but that seems more real to me.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 01:46:55 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2005, 01:54:13 PM »

LOL DR RLP....where else on all the internet could you find out such a thing?  LOL

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2005, 01:57:15 PM »

New York jaunt will occur in about two weeks.  I'll arrive somewhere around the 21st and we do Kerry's duet on the 23rd and then the other thing on the 24th.  Trying to find a studio for the latter, which is proving difficult, but that date is locked in stone because of cast conflicts, so we'll just have to figure something out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2005, 02:10:30 PM »

With a pencil and pad - you'll figger it out!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2005, 02:10:55 PM »

LOL DR RLP....where else on all the internet could you find out such a thing?  LOL

Why, HERE and ONLY here!  Natcherly!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2005, 02:13:35 PM »

Another really sensational thing about "Medium", IMO:  It's the first time I think network TV has shown nearly the entirety of an adult relationship in the bedroom with both adults generally in their bed attire.

It's not at all suggestive or erotic...but it IS loving and caring and realistic in its tone.

Jake Weber has one of the most thankless supporting roles in TV -- he has to be the husband to a "medium" and spend most of his scenes wearing a tank top and boxer shorts!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »

Two fish swim into a concrete wall.  

One turns to the other and says:  "Dam!"

Jed

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »

Thanks to one and all, all and one, for the vibes.  I felt that the interview went rather well, and now I can only hope that the others who are interviewing will fall flat on their faces. :D  They hope to let me know one way or the other around Friday or so.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2005, 02:35:01 PM »

We put the finishing touches on Act I blocking last night, so tonight, we run Act I. I will attempt it off book, but I'm sure there will be places I'll need prompting, especially as to the blocking, some of which I only got last night.

We ran Act I last night and have to be off book for it tonight.  I tried going off book last night and was just fine with that (the glory of supporting roles), but I think TCB will agree that it could prove to be an interesting evening for some cast members... *cough*FrankButler*cough*

Jed

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2005, 02:37:13 PM »

Thrilled to see that Victoria Clark got a Tony nomination for Light in the Piazza.  Haven't heard enough about Dilly, Foster, and Scott's performances to know if she has much of a chance (not even gonna bother with Applegate), but she blew me away in the Seattle production in June 2003.

Jed

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2005, 02:37:46 PM »

FRENZY!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2005, 02:43:40 PM »

Thanks to one and all, all and one, for the vibes.  I felt that the interview went rather well, and now I can only hope that the others who are interviewing will fall flat on their faces. :D  They hope to let me know one way or the other around Friday or so.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

~~~~~~~~~~~~BAD VIBES TO ALL EMPLOYMENT COMPETITION, DRJED!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/size][/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2005, 02:56:33 PM »

Well, DR Elmoore3003 seems "in the pink."

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2005, 03:05:11 PM »

Good employment vibes for Dear Reader Jed!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It would be a lot easier to write this paper if I didn't have to deal with my brother prank-calling me from work. At least, I think that was my brother prank-calling me from work. Hmmmm.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2005, 03:13:14 PM »

Does anyone know if CONnIe CALled?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 03:14:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ben

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2005, 03:14:35 PM »

If buzz means anything here in NY, Victoria Clark will win for Light in the Piazza, no doubt in my mind. Miss Rene Scott is hilarious and wonderful and Dilly does a dilly of a job. Sutton Foster is her usual excellent self and I talked about Applegate a few weeks ago, but when you put them up against Clark, I think she will win. It's a great performance. I'm not crazy about the show. The book is the main problem for me, but there are scenes and music that I find glorious. The overture is beautiful and Clark's solo moments are magnificent.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »

I am off to see a production of "Arms and the Man" as a favor to a friend of mine whose theatre group needs people in the seats tonight.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2005, 03:27:19 PM »

Well, DR Elmoore3003 seems "in the pink."
;D
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2005, 03:30:34 PM »

CONICAL, baby, CONICAL!

Off to Mr. Grant Geissman's to let him hear our mixes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up