Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SPLITTING HEADACHE  (Read 15906 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SPLITTING HEADACHE
« on: May 09, 2005, 11:58:04 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you hopefully haven't gotten a splitting headache reading the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be as soon as they get over their collective splitting headaches.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 12:01:02 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SPLITTING HEADACHE
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONICAL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:17:02 AM »

Good Morning!

I ended up dozing off earlier, and now I'm basically wide awake, so...  But I should get some sleep since I'm going to some concert tomorrow night with my friend, Andy.  I have no idea who we're seeing, just that she's some country/folk artist.  Andy really wanted to see her, so he bought two tickets.  One for himself, and one for me - well, his "chauffeur" for the evening.  He has epilepsy, and since he had an attack a few months ago, he's not allowed to drive.  So...  "Hey, Jose, will you be in town on May 10th?  Would you like to go to a concert?"..."

It's all good.  Andy's a great guy, and we get along very well.  And I'd drive him whether or not he was not allowed to right now.  Heck, it's a free ticket to a concert!  *He also treated me to Linda Ronstadt last summerm, and I think there's a play or two in my future too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:21:49 AM »

There's bed in my future, if only I can get rid of this splitting headache.

And now - Dino at the piano.

CONICAL, baby, CONICAL.  And I'm not kidding.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:29:14 AM »

Hmmmm.... CONICAL... BULBOUS.... Hmmm... And didn't we have VOLUMINOUS recently too?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 12:30:13 AM »

As for funny reading... Hmm... I shall have to think about that whilst I sleep...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 12:31:58 AM »

Hope your headache has abated by morning, BK...

Until then...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 12:41:16 AM »

Oh....

And I just read the results from last night's Helen Hayes Awards... Interesting, very interesting.

I'm happy that Anne Duquesnay won for her portrayal of Mama in Hallelujah, Baby! - I wonder if she thanked me for my German Chocolate Cake in her speech? ;)

However, Senor Discretion Himself which was basically not well-received by anyone happened to snag the Best Resident Musical award. Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 12:55:26 AM »

OH!  And Ford's just officially announced their season for next year...

It will start off with Ken Ludwig's new play, Leading Ladies, which I saw while I was in Houston last fall.  I wonder if Brent Barrett will be reprising his role here in DC.  -Ooohh... The WSMA in a dress with a bare midrift... Swoon!

;)

Then closing out the season will be a revival of Shenandoah.  Hoo and Ray!  I've always loved this show.  Yes, it may be a bit old-fashioned and treacly in some places, but I always find myself moved by it.  -Guess I'll be making some calls tomorrow and sending out some resumes... ;)

For the rest of the season, just check out http://www.fordstheatre.org
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 12:59:26 AM »

...or at least today's Backstage column in the Washington Post.  http://www.washingtonpost.com  It's in the Style section.  *The press release doesn't seem to be on Ford's website yet.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 01:54:59 AM »

First funny books I thought of were those by Spike Milligan and Bill Bryson.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 03:45:36 AM »

Morning all.

Sorry to hear about the headache, BK.  Hope your feeling better soon.

Get well from your headache vibes to you.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

I'm still not feeling right but I will attempt to go to work.  I have that Guaranteed Ride Home if things go bad.  I think I’ll wait to take the meds when I get to work in case I have a reaction.  I don't want to pass out or anything on the bus.  I have a hard enough time with riding sideways making me dizzy as it is.  

Have a good day all.  :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 03:46:01 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 04:21:04 AM »

Stephen Leacock, Morley Torgov and Mordecai Richler three wonderful writers from Canada. Only Morley Torgov is still around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 04:21:28 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 04:32:14 AM »

Good morning, all!   Morning in the cabaret world and afternoon with the doctor, it's  a fascinating existence.  I'll work this morning on the cruise shows, then see my doctor for clearance on next week's surgery.  Hopefully, I'll be watching INVASION with DRRodzinski tonight, so it should be a good day.

DRJane, the kids ride the buses for free in Manhattan, besides roaming free and acting freely on the buses.  It's an insult to all us paying customers.

TOD:  I'm glad yesterday's was such a success, and I could use a good laugh.
Books:  WHERE'S POPPA? & THE HORSE IS DEAD by Robert Klane
           CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES by John Kennedy Toole
           CHARLEY WEAVER'S LETTERS FROM MAMA
           HOW I PAID FOR COLLEGE by Marc Acito
           MISADVENTURES IN THE (213) by Dennis Hensley
           PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen
           Everything by Carl Hiaasen
           SEX TOYS OF THE GODS by Christian McLaughlin
           VALMOUTH by Ronald Firbank
           GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES by Anita Loos

I've always liked Jean Kerr's pieces, collected in PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES and THE SNAKE HAS ALL THE LINES, Irma Bombeck, Jean Shepherd, and Fran Lebowitz, even if she is a rude horror in person.

Dear Friend BK, begging your pardon, while I think the Benjamin Kritzer books have their funny moments, I find them more akin to DAVID COPPERFIELD than to James Thurber and Jeran Shepherd.  I believe the three Kritzer books are the three parts of a semi-autobiographical novel, and the overall tone is not comic but quite serious.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 05:33:55 AM »

Nora Ephron, David Sedaris, Max Schulman, Fran Lebowitz, Calvin Trillin, Ben Tyler, Chris McLaughlin,  Eve Babitz, Joe Keenan, Cornelia Otis Skinner, James Kirkwood, Steve Kluger, Chris Chase have all writtten some of the funniest things I've read.  A number of these authors has also been able to make me cry and nod my head at the glwoing truth of a remark and all those other good things an author can do.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:34:46 AM »

Last Friday, I had a splitting headache at work.  Say, "What is it, fish?" real loud.  It helps.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 06:18:34 AM »

The nominations have been announced. Here is a link to the Tony site so you can see the official list.

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/index.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 06:28:03 AM »

(Scene:  BK's finely appointed study.  BK is typing at his laptop.  Over his shoulder, Guy Haines peers at the screen.  He taps BK on the shoulder.)

Guy Haines:  You spelled "fershluganah" wrong.

BK:  (furiously)  Guy Haines, please!  I'd rather do it myself!

Voiceover:  Sure, you have a headache.  But why take it out on the people around you?  Try new Conical.  Conical is a new pain reliever that contains Hexamaphorsonal, the leading ingredient prescribed by physicians.  Clinical tests prove that new Conical sooths away headache pain in nine out of ten cases.  And new Conical's innovated shape guarantees immediate, fast relief.

(Cut back to BK at the keyboard, smiling and laughing with Guy Haines as they both read the laptop screen.)

Voiceover:  So the next time you experience headache pain, reach for new Conical for fast, fast pain relief.  Ask for it by name.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 06:30:39 AM »

Should be an interesting race. Even though Spamalot got 14 nominations, I don't think it will be the sweep that happened with the Producers. Having seen three of the four nominated musicals (and I'll see the fourth sometime in the next two weeks) I think the best four have been annointed. Hard to say which one will win. I don't think it's a slam dunk for Spamalot. It did get many nominations from other groups (Drama Desk and Outer Critics Circle) and that's usually "a harbinger" of who will win, but upsets are possible.

I do think that Norbert Leo Butz will win for Best Actor in a Musical (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) and Victoria Clark will win for Best Actress in a Musical (Light in the Piazza). I will also see The Pillowman sometime in the next couple of weeks and I have to decide if I want to see Golden Pond. It's not my favorite play but James Earl Jones has been nominated. I missed Reckless, Gem of the Ocean and The Rivals so I won't have seen some of the actresses nomimate for Best Lead and Featured roles.

Chitty got a couple of nominations, Jan Maxwell  and Marc Kudish both got nominated for their Bomburst roles. Well deserved I might add. They add lots of laughs to the show.

Gotta get back to work. I'll be back later to pontificate more (I hope).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 06:31:24 AM »

Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and sequels.

Patrick Denis:  Auntie Mame, Around the World With Auntie Mame, The Joyous Season, Little Me and First Lady, both with Chris Alexander's hilarious photographs, Tony.

Evelyn Waugh:  Vile Bodies, Decline and Fall, Black Mischief, A Handful of Dust.  I used to think his name was a nom de plume, "Evil and Woe", but it is indeed his real name.  Brideshead Revisited is somewhat less knee-slapping.

Armistead Maupin:  The whole Tales of the City cycle.

William F. Orr:  Any Other Season--oh yes, I promise it will be back on-line and readable by all and sun-dried in the not-too-distant future.

Bruce Kimmel:  Writer's Block.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 06:31:39 AM »

Boy, the majority of my book reading is of the mystery or autobiographical variety...I did read some Irma Bombeck many years ago, so I guess I would count that.

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 06:33:08 AM »

LOL, DTM...I think JRand54 will get  a kick out of your commercial!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 06:34:14 AM »

The nominations have been announced. Here is a link to the Tony site so you can see the official list.

http://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/index.html

Not even one nomination for The Frogs.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 06:38:01 AM »

Well, I'm teaching geometry this semester, so how could I pass up the chance to explain the CONICAL Sections:

Now pay attention.  This will all be on your Final.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ben

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 06:38:07 AM »

D-T-M said:

"Not even one nomination for The Frogs

Well, Dan, it hopped away before it could get caught!

Remember, there is NO GROANING at HHW

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 06:47:19 AM »

Boy, the majority of my book reading is of the mystery or autobiographical variety...I did read some Irma Bombeck many years ago, so I guess I would count that.

Yep, my mom always got the latest Bombeck, so I would occaisionally pick one up and chuckle over it.  Otherwise, favorite funny books for me were usually of the concept humor kind.  Things like The 80's:  A Look Back (which was published in 1979.  I rolled on the floor over National Lampoon's yearbook and Sunday newspaper parodies.  And years before Jerry Seinfeld did Letters from a Nut, Don Novello published The Lazlo Toth Letters which was much more funny.

I also loved Fran Lebowitz's Metropolitan Life and Social Studies.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 06:59:44 AM »

I have not seen any ads for HERCULES.  But then again most of the shows I watch are picked up by Canadian stations (and we unfortunately HAVE to see their commercials).   I'm trying to think if there are even any shows I watch on NBC.  

I know MEDIUM is one.  Really love that show.  And last night's episode was another good one.  I think the unpredictable way they use her dreams is one of my favorite parts.

DR Jane, commented a few days ago how she was not impressed any more with NUMB3RS.  I have still been watching, but the fact that their guilty people are becoming too predictable is a real turn off.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 07:00:59 AM »

BTW, any AMAZING RACE fans excited about tonight's 2 hour finale?

I cannot wait.  

I think even non-TAR fans at HHW should be excited.  Because now you won't have to listen to us talk about it anymore. :)

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 07:29:55 AM »

I am excited about TAR tonight! I will probably tape it and watch it tomorrow, but it will be fun to see who wins!!

And of course I am sure the next season  of TAR is just around the corner! Woohoo!

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 07:32:07 AM »

For you Japanese monster movie fans, VARAN, THE UNVBELIEVALBE (Daikaiju Varan) is released today on DVD!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up