Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES BY OSMOSIS  (Read 24010 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES BY OSMOSIS
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2005, 01:25:03 PM »

I thought the deal with Coke Zero (a horrible name) was that it was NO CARBS.  Is that not part of the deal?  In any case, I couldn't even finish the bottle of it I had in Portland.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2005, 01:25:47 PM »

Tammy's supposed to be here by two-thirty for our lunch meeting - I'm hoping she's early, because I have to leave for my haircut appointment no later than four.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »

On TODAY, he has been close to belligerent and antagonistic with Matt Lauer (who had the audacity to LIGHTLY challenge some of his statements). In fact, after the first part of the interview aired, Al Roker said that he found Cruise rude.

BTW, I've read all of this off the internet and in other entertainment coverage. I don't watch OPRAH or THE TODAY SHOW, so someone who has personally seen it might have more details.
OK.  I saw some of the Cruise interview with Lauer, where he repeated his claim that Brooke Shields shouldn't have taken antidepressants, that she could have been cured of depression by taking vitamins.  He claimed to love Brooke, but that he has always been sure that psychiatry is a "pseudo-science," his word.

As someone whose life has been made better through taking antidepressants, I found Cruise's comments nauseating.  I am further repulsed by the idea that others out there, who are in need of help, will listen to him and follow his advice.  I was looking forward to seeing War of the Worlds; I'm not so sure that I want to see it now.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2005, 01:28:56 PM »

DR Sandra and I are just settling down to watch the Phantom of the Opera dvd we bought last month.

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2005, 01:31:18 PM »

OK.  I saw some of the Cruise interview with Lauer, where he repeated his claim that Brooke Shields shouldn't have taken antidepressants, that she could have been cured of depression by taking vitamins.  He claimed to love Brooke, but that he has always been sure that psychiatry is a "pseudo-science," his word.

As someone whose life has been made better through taking antidepressants, I found Cruise's comments nauseating.  I am further repulsed by the idea that others out there, who are in need of help, will listen to him and follow his advice.  I was looking forward to seeing War of the Worlds; I'm not so sure that I want to see it now.

Would that THAT had been the extent of his comments to Lauer, but he totally lost his mind, went on a tirade exclaiming "You don't know psychiatry.  I KNOW psychiatry.  I've read up on it."  Or something to that effect.

Cruise has TOTALLY blown whatever credibility he might have had and is now a joke.

I hope it doesn't destroy WOTW, but I admit I have no impulse to see it because I just have had my fill of Tom Cruise...he's right up there with Wacko Jacko on my all-time don't-care-if-I-ever-see-or-hear-of-him-again list.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:31:57 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2005, 01:33:15 PM »

What I saw of the interview was a re-broadcast clip, on another network.  It was damaging enough, in my view.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2005, 01:36:24 PM »

I thought the deal with Coke Zero (a horrible name) was that it was NO CARBS.  Is that not part of the deal?  In any case, I couldn't even finish the bottle of it I had in Portland.  

They're touting is as the new "Calorie Free Cola".  However, Diet Coke has been Calorie Free for years - as well as Carb Free.  So...

After checking out the website, it really does look like Coke's attempt to be hip and now.  -And I bet they probably did tests to see how it acts as a mixer with rum, etc.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2005, 01:36:35 PM »

I hope it doesn't destroy WOTW, but I admit I have no impulse to see it because I just have had my fill of Tom Cruise...he's right up there with Wacko Jacko on my all-time don't-care-if-I-ever-see-or-hear-of-him-again list.

I'm still debating if I want to see it, because WOTW is the kind of movie that I would only want to see on a big screen.  TC is very quickly climbing higher on my "all-time don't-care-if-I-ever-see-or-hear-of-him-again list," too. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »

I didn't see Tom Cruise with Matt Lauer, but I did see him on the Oprah.  He basically acted like a goofball in love.  I also saw the original interview he did on Access Hollywood (where he made the comments about Brooke shields the first time).  And after having watched a bunch of interviews with Brooke about her ordeal, I thought what he said was really rude (and he claims to be her friend).

I have no doubt that putting drugs in your body has side effects.  And I will even believe that ideally it would be wonderful to use vitamins or exercise.  And I even admire the work Cruise is doing to try to help take children off of drugs.

However, that said, where does he get off saying that Brooke Shields or anyone else was not helped by drugs.  She has always seemed to me to be a caring, nice person. And for someone like her (who desperately wanted a child) to have not wanted anything to do with her, well there was obviously something seriously wrong.  I have no doubt that Tom has done research.  But has he researched her case? Does he know for a fact that vitamins would have helped her? It's very easy to tell her not to take pills. But unless he has lived in her shoes, I think most people will just be annoyed by his comments.

As for what happened with Matt Lauer, I'm glad Matt challenged him. I would be interested to see the clips of exactly what was said.  But I don't think Tom should be belittling anyone who doesn't agree with him.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 01:42:26 PM by Jennifer »

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2005, 01:42:14 PM »

I am not sure if I have ever even seen a Tom Cruise film, but I can honestly say that as a celeb he no longer interests me...he may be a good actor, but not a particularly interesting celebrity...at least not for me.

However, I will likely still see WAR OF THE WORLDS...no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2005, 01:42:48 PM »

Dan Proctor, whose latest role was in "The Music Man" at Drury Lane's Oak Brook stage, was shot in the head in the 1400 block of West Carmen about 3:15 a.m. Sunday. He was listed in critical but stable condition Monday night at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

This is from the Chicago Sun-Times.

Vibes to Mr. Proctor.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »

And just in case anyone is curious, here's the transcript to Friday's portion of Tom Cruise's interview on "The Today Show" - as well as a video clip.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367/

*However, as an article noted in the New York Times, regardless of where you stand on Scientology, morning talk shows, psychiatry, etc.,  it was sort of refreshing to see a "an actor who has kicked the publicist habit."  For better or worse.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2005, 01:44:30 PM »

Wow, you've never seen a Tom Cruise film.That is interesting (since you watch so many movies).  Recently i see him in COLLATERAL, which was pretty decent.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2005, 01:44:56 PM »

And may your journey be a safe and enjoyable one, DRElmore!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2005, 01:56:46 PM »

I have a fair number of Tom Cruise films in my DVD library and will continue to enjoy them. I think he can be effective in some roles (but he's certainly not a multi-faceted actor).

I think he has displayed REAL hubris, however, in presuming to know what's best for Brooke Shields or anyone else without being a trained medical professional or even having examined her in ANY capacity. He's a fool.

As for his shameful behavior on Oprah, the man has been married twice and has presumably been in other love relationships before Katie Holmes. To go on a national talk show and act in such a completely out of control fashion is absurd especially being a celebrity who heretofore has coveted his privacy and challenged any and all media to leave him and his previous companions in peace.

How convenient that his new love affair has happened on the eve of BIG premieres for both of them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2005, 02:07:29 PM »

Well, this may all be hearsay, but it's fun hearsay:

From Radar Magazine - http://www.radarmagazine.com/fresh-intelligence/

Katie Holmes may have fallen for it, but Tom Cruise’s sci-fi seduction technique scared the bejeezus out of Scarlett Johansson, a source close to the actress says. Weeks before he began wooing his brainwashed bride-to-be, Cruise made repeated phone calls to the 19-year-old starlet—who was then set to co-star with him in Mission Impossible III—imploring her to meet him at the Scientology Celebrity Center in L.A. But when the actress finally agreed, the supposedly professional get-together took an oddly spiritual turn. “[Cruise] took me into this room, which was stifling hot, and was showing me all kinds of info about joining the church,” Johansson told our source. “The whole time he didn’t even offer me a cookie!” Instead, he offered her dinner—and a glimpse into the Twilight Zone.

After two hours of proselytizing, our source says Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingenue politely excused herself. Soon after the meeting, Johansson dropped out of Mission Impossible III, reportedly due to scheduling conflicts. Asked about the incident, Johansson’s momager, Melanie Johansson, referred Radar to a publicist, who did not return calls or emails seeking comment. After striking out with Johansson, Cruise reportedly turned his attentions to 24-year-old Jessica Alba, 22-year-old Kate Bosworth, and 18-year-old Lindsay Lohan, before settling on the 26-year-old Holmes. As far we know, Cruise’s War of the Worlds co-star, Dakota Fanning, was never under consideration.

There are also some other fun tidbits there too.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2005, 02:07:38 PM »

Isn't scientology a pseudo-religion?  As well as a college offering degrees in Homo Nomo?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2005, 02:09:55 PM »

This is also from Radar Magazine - but it's not hearsay.

Here's a sampling of the questions that one must answer if one wants to be "pre-cleared" to be a Scientologist:

• Have you driven anyone insane?
• Have you ever killed the wrong person?
• Is anybody looking for you?
• Have you ever set a poor example?
• Did you come to Earth for evil purposes?
• Are you in hiding?
• Have you systematically set up mysteries?
• Have you ever made a practice of confusing people?
• Have you ever philosophized when you should have acted instead?
• Have you ever gone crazy?
• Have you ever sought to persuade someone of your insanity?
• Have you ever deserted, or betrayed, a great leader?
• Have you ever smothered a baby?
• Do you deserve to have any friends?
• Have you ever castrated anyone?
• Do you deserve to be enslaved?
• Is there any question on this list I had better not ask you again?
• Have you ever tried to make the physical universe less real?
• Have you ever zapped anyone?
• Have you ever had a body with a venereal disease? If so,
did you spread it?
[/size]
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »

I saw Mambo Kings in SF and rather enjoyed it for what it was.  The sets and lights and the dancing were great - the orchestrations were great - the singing wasn't bad - it all need some work, and I found it far more enjoyable than "Lennon" and it could totally be worked on, I hope it's not abandoned.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2005, 02:10:54 PM »

OK - Laundry is dry... back to puttering....

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2005, 02:11:22 PM »

I didn't see Tom Cruise with Matt Lauer, but I did see him on the Oprah.  He basically acted like a goofball in love.

Acting being the keyword here.  I, for one, believe none of the romance, and I think it's a total setup by the press and his church to keep him looking butch ("I must be a man; I like girls").  I think Miss Holmes of Toledo is either in it for a bid at stardom, like Ms Kidman, or she's as demented as her beloved.

And I hope the movie tanks big time.  He's been a poor excuse as a press representative on this film.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:12:10 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2005, 02:12:04 PM »

I saw Mambo Kings in SF and rather enjoyed it for what it was.  The sets and lights and the dancing were great - the orchestrations were great - the singing wasn't bad - it all need some work, and I found it far more enjoyable than "Lennon" and it could totally be worked on, I hope it's not abandoned.

Thanks for the report, DR Matthew.

Who knows?  Maybe the Weisslers will pick it up.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2005, 02:14:21 PM »

This is from the Chicago Sun-Times.

Vibes to Mr. Proctor.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Woody, thanks.  Tom didn't mention his name, and I couldn't find anything cruising the web.  Where's DRCharlesPogue been lately?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2005, 02:18:19 PM »

Well, this may all be hearsay, but it's fun hearsay:

From Radar Magazine - http://www.radarmagazine.com/fresh-intelligence/There are also some other fun tidbits there too.

;D

I had read a blind item in the NY Post or Daily News that a recently engaged actor interviewed several actresses for the position of public arm accessory.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »

This is also from Radar Magazine - but it's not hearsay.

Here's a sampling of the questions that one must answer if one wants to be "pre-cleared" to be a Scientologist:[/size]

And if you answer "yes" to more than half, the church makes you a member?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 02:21:14 PM by elmore3003 »

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2005, 02:31:44 PM »

Hi Jose-
    Inwood is north of Washington Heights. Actually, that neighborhood is as far north as you can go and still be in Manhattan. It has beautiful parks and cool Art Deco buildings.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2005, 02:34:33 PM »

Hi Jose-
    Inwood is north of Washington Heights. Actually, that neighborhood is as far north as you can go and still be in Manhattan. It has beautiful parks and cool Art Deco buildings.

Isn't that where DRRodzinski lives?

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2005, 02:37:43 PM »

Yes, I think he does live in that area, south of Inwood.
Oh, Larry, I do believe that it is me giving you a hug on the ATB video! It was so nice to see you again. Have a safe  journey and I hope we'll meet up again soon.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »

DRTomovoz, I loathe the detestable Anita Bryant, who now must be the patron saint of the religious right, but I always loved the song, which seems to have been "borrowed" from Vivian Ellis' "This Is My Lovely Day" from BLESS THE BRIDE.

Is that "Songs of New York" set the one I did with John McGlinn, an artiste of whom I could say many things?
Indeed is is that "Songs Of New York" Larry.  I don't really mind the song - it's really the Anita connection.  She can stay in her little corner of the world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »

Loved the "War Of The Worlds" spolier.  A good pre-breakfast laugh for DP Colin too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up