Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE  (Read 18108 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:23:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've turned the page, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're just trying to figure out who Eddie Foy, Jr. is.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 12:04:57 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THAT IS CORRECT, TURN THE PAGE
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 12:25:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: UNDULATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

And a very happy birthday to Andrea, who hasn't been around these here parts for years.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:36:45 AM »

BK do you have a favourite malapropism and/or spoonerism?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 12:37:16 AM »

It's a simple little system, any child can understand.

Is Kevin's show at Saddleback?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 12:52:10 AM »

What's Saddleback?  It's somewhere - wherever they've been doing a concert series that's included Linda Purl and Susan Egan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 12:52:50 AM »

I like Spoon River by Andy Williams.  I like Mala Powers and all her props.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 01:04:50 AM »

It's Saddleback Civic Light Opera in Rancho Santa Margarita, Orange County. Nice theater. I was lucky enough to be able to see Lindsay Ridgeway perform as Tina in Ruthless! there.
I have some friends with tickets for that cabaret series.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 01:06:27 AM »

Then that's where it is.  I'll be going out there to take a look at the space and see Susan Egan, too.

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 01:08:57 AM »

Tell Susan hi from Elyse and Iris, and congratulations on her marriage. If, that is, she did indeed get married, as has been reported.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 03:38:17 AM »

Good Morning DR Danise.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 03:45:05 AM »

Morning all!

I have a question for all DR's and BK.  Who all thinks they will make it to the gathering in October?  And another question, what are the plans for that day/night?

For DR Ginny, any plans for Monday night?  

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!   :)

Laters!  :) ;D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 03:46:05 AM »

Hi DR TomovOz!  Nice to see you!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 03:50:00 AM »

Gotta run for the bus.  I hope you are feeling much better and that DR Oz Derick is doing the same.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 04:10:26 AM »

Hello DR Elmore. Welcome to your day.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2005, 04:32:51 AM »

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Please give my regards to DROzderek when you next speak to him.

DRRonPulliam, I liked LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but I believe the orchestration, which sounds better in the theatre without the added strings, is all of a same quality: string pads, occasional reed, lot of harp and keyboard noodlings.  Some of it is quite beautiful and a lot of it sounds the same.  It's the only Tony Award from PIAZZA that I question.  Larry Hochman's scoring caught the mood of every song in the score, and he had a much larger palette of orchestra colors to work with.  I think he deserved the award for "The Song That Goes Like This" alone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2005, 05:04:05 AM »

LOL DR DANISE yesterday.  DRMBARNUM you have a letter in the LETTERS section of SS.  MR BK has a letter and the review of LIL ABNER - there is also a photo of MR BK....which makes me wonder, exactly how tall IS Richard Valley?  But that is NOT my ASK BK question for today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 05:05:47 AM »

DR TCB mentioned THE DARK AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS yesterday, and I must say that I, too, think this is a terrific movie....with wonderful performances, especially Miss Eve Arden as Lottie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2005, 05:09:00 AM »

Lois Smith played the waitress that James Dean irritates in EAST OF EDEN, and I agree with DRMATTH that she is a good choice to play Helen Besselo in T,J,&TAW.  I also think Mr Affleck is a good choice for George Reeves and Diane Lane as Toni Mannix - I also agree that the book HOLLYWOOD KRYPTONITE was not much - but I liked the pictures.

Where is my CD?  This is NOT my ASK BK question, but after reading the notes, I thought SOMEONE had to ask.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2005, 05:13:19 AM »

Last night, Tim the Sound Man had a family emergency and could not attend rehearsal.  It was "family night" in which the cast can ask family members to attend and take photos - so there were about one dozen people there.  I ran the sound - and missed a few cues - we had a thunder storm without much thunder and I missed a music cue - but we survived.  I hope Tim is back tonight.

Oh, and after our two week run here in Greencastle, we are headed for Broadway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2005, 05:15:10 AM »

Happy Birthday, former DRANDREA.

Now, my question for ASK BK DAY - oh wait....those DR's who saw KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES last night, was Miss Allison Hayes and her 50 foot form included in any of the clips?  Her iconic performance is usually mentioned in passing in such documentaries.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2005, 05:17:48 AM »

Now to make my posts an even half dozen, my ASK BK question:

We are all familiar with knock-out musicals and musical numbers in movies - BUT is there a musical number that takes place in an otherwise mediocre film (original or adaptation) that is so terrific it lifts the whole movie for you and what musical number in what film do you think is the best staged of all - for a motion picture?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2005, 05:41:02 AM »

Hello, DRTomovoz!  Please give my regards to DROzderek when you next speak to him.

DRRonPulliam, I liked LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, but I believe the orchestration, which sounds better in the theatre without the added strings, is all of a same quality: string pads, occasional reed, lot of harp and keyboard noodlings.  Some of it is quite beautiful and a lot of it sounds the same.  It's the only Tony Award from PIAZZA that I question.  Larry Hochman's scoring caught the mood of every song in the score, and he had a much larger palette of orchestra colors to work with.  I think he deserved the award for "The Song That Goes Like This" alone.

If I have one slight problem with the Piazza recording, it's that the tempos are slightly slower than what's played in the theatre.  I first heard the score on an alternately acquired recording and then heard the CD.  But with repeated playings, I've become accustomed to the CD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2005, 05:50:18 AM »

Good morning!  Romper, Stomper, Bomper Boo!  I see all my little frineds out there.  I see Ben; I see Kerry and all you boys and girls.

I'm very tired, and there isn't much in the house for breakfast, so I'll scape up something (perhaps literally) and go to the store after work.  

Wasn't this post exciting?  Wasn't it just too-too?

I've got my scraper in my hand, and I'm off to make breakfast.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2005, 05:56:48 AM »

A couple of questions for BK:  In all of your cast recording experience, have you ever had to make a cut in a number because of time constraints that agonized you to do so?  If so, what was it?
Are there any recordings that you have produced that you would like to re-release on Kritzerland so that you could remix them or include material that was previously left off?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2005, 06:01:14 AM »

Happy Birthday, former DRANDREA.

Now, my question for ASK BK DAY - oh wait....those DR's who saw KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES last night, was Miss Allison Hayes and her 50 foot form included in any of the clips?  Her iconic performance is usually mentioned in passing in such documentaries.

Nope, no Allison Hayes at all.  Instead of the 50 foot woman, they went with the shrinking man.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2005, 07:05:56 AM »

BK do you have a favourite malapropism and/or spoonerism?
I discovered Edgar Lee Masters' Spoonerism River Anthology when I was in high school.  I still consider it to be a fascinating work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2005, 07:07:22 AM »

Today is National Fried Chicken Day!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2005, 07:20:28 AM »

Where is my CD?  This is NOT my ASK BK question, but after reading the notes, I thought SOMEONE had to ask.
I wasn't aware that you had recorded one.

Hmmm...First Guy Haines records a new CD, then BK records After The Ball, and now JRand talks about having a CD...sounds like a trend to me!

However, in the interest of preserving world peace, I promise not to sing, not even in the shower.  Some weapons should never be unleashed.

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2005, 07:31:49 AM »

Yesterday was interesting, work-wise.  I was originally scheduled for a four-hour day.  Yesterday morning, I recieved a call from Larry, one of the assistant managers, asking if I could come in a couple of hours early.  Well, sure I could.  I'm flexible, and this would make up for the hours I gave up the night before (which I suspected was part of the reason for the request).

But, while I was napping before my shift (or trying to; the dogs were restless), at about twenty to one in the afternoon the phone rang again.  It was Larry again.  Could I come in as soon as possible?  They really needed the help.

He was a bit shocked when I showed up twenty minutes later, showered and ready.  Heck, I was a bit shocked by how fast I could get my arse in gear.

So, what was going to be a four-hour workday turned into eight hours.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

(But I'm not giving up my day off, Thursday.  Der B and I have shopping scheduled, as our larder is making grumbly empty noises.   ::))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up