Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF  (Read 22555 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »

Will listen to GUY HAINES - have to get to the theatre, but will post impressions sometime tonight....after PIPPIN.......if the rehearsal ever ends...sometime...  tonight.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2005, 11:13:51 AM »

OK, now I have to go cram three days' worth of homework into forty minutes so I can turn it in today. Bye!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2005, 11:18:09 AM »

GUY HAINES WAS IN MY MAILBOX TODAY!!!

Mine just arrived as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2005, 11:18:47 AM »

OK...so there are FOUR Krispy Kremes in New York. One of the five listed stores only has donuts delivered to them from one of the "factories," so it doesn't count. But still...FOUR??? There should be at least 10 in Manhattan alone. One on every corner - like Starbucks. And we need at least two in Astoria. Yes, I said two - one for me and one for the rest of them. :)

Ben

« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2005, 11:19:33 AM »

I'm kind of listening to Guy Haines. I'm listening to the Radio Show right now. I assume I will get my CDs in the next day or two. I had them sent to the office. I'll be on the lookout for them.

Jason

« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2005, 11:19:47 AM »

And where the frell are the Chik-Fil-A stores in New York?? I need my chicken nuggets and waffle fries!!

Jed

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2005, 11:24:04 AM »

Oh yes, all those grammatical pitfalls drive me absolutely batty.  Was always a pleasant surprise to see correct usage now and then in my standardized test scoring job.  

As Ann will confirm, the one that really gets me is one that does not have to be written to be noticed, but a simple case of using the incorrect word.  It seems to me that the word "fewer" is disappearing from our language, all too often being incorrectly replaced by "less."  For some reason, that error is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.  If an item can be individually counted, then a reduction in amount would be "fewer."  If it's just some conglomerate quantity, then when you lose some you have "less."  Not sure why, but that one drives me absolutely bonkers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 11:27:17 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2005, 11:33:39 AM »

As I said, most of the CDs went out on Saturday morning, so I'm glad to see they got there safely.  Can someone tell me if there was any wear and tear on the priority envelope?  The rest of the orders are going out today.  The pressing plant are pressing the additional 250 copies they shorted me on, and repressing all the ones I had left - and they're doing them in one hour, so everything can still go out.  So, what I will say is, that if anyone absolutely cannot live with their slightly wrinkled booklet, I'll replace it with your next order.

Happily, I've always known the difference between its and it's, although in the heat of writing I sometimes do it wrong by accident, but I always see it and fix it.  Same with your and you're.

The transfer went very fast.  Luckily, the 16 track tape was in perfect shape after all these years.  We thankfully used Scotch brand - had we used Ampex, there most likely wouldn't have been any oxide left and we would have been out of luck.  I think the songs that are on this tape will sound 1000% better than what was on the LP.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be five and not four songs that were on the missing tape, but the bulk of the album will still be all newly remixed, and we'll be able to help the other five tracks with EQ.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2005, 11:34:22 AM »

Something I haven't tried myself is making pate a choux.  Of course, there is Alton Brown's recipe, but giving his funnel cakes a try might be a little easier.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2005, 11:45:16 AM »

OK...so there are FOUR Krispy Kremes in New York. One of the five listed stores only has donuts delivered to them from one of the "factories," so it doesn't count. But still...FOUR??? There should be at least 10 in Manhattan alone. One on every corner - like Starbucks. And we need at least two in Astoria. Yes, I said two - one for me and one for the rest of them. :)
The thought of New York City on a sugar high is scary.   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2005, 11:48:17 AM »

I remember years ago, Cyndi Lauper was on the Arsenio Hall Show (it was that long ago) and she had a grammar quiz for Arsenio.  She had written on a chalkboard a run-on sentence and Arsenio had to correctly punctuate it.  This is the sentence:

Where John had had had Jane had had had had had had had had the teacher's approval.

I think I've posted this before, but can anyone correctly punctuate this and turn it into two complete sentences? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2005, 11:50:22 AM »

And where the frell are the Chik-Fil-A stores in New York?? I need my chicken nuggets and waffle fries!!
There are none.

Jason

« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2005, 11:52:30 AM »

The thought of New York City on a sugar high is scary.   :o

We're all on a caffeine buzz...what's a little sugar gonna hurt?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2005, 11:55:50 AM »

Now I know it as Mille Feuille. (I think I spelled it right) It translates as Thousand Flakes  Again it must have custard and not whip cream. But sure what it is called in the USA

This looks like a Napoleon to me.  Good ones with custard are hard to find these days, for me anyway.  I'm sure Jose can inform me of multiple bakeries with excellent custard filled ones.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »

Waffle Fries!

Ingredients: Potatoes, may contain partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening (soybean oil and/or canola) and/or palm oil, disodium dihydrogen pyrophosphate (to promote color retention), dextrose, Peanut Oil (fully refined peanut oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness and dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent added)

Jed

« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2005, 11:58:22 AM »

I don't care what it's called, it looks damn tasty!

Jane

« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2005, 11:58:26 AM »

Last night from Cillaliz
DR JMK, I'm going to Portland for a meeting from Aug 3-7.

Cilaliz we will also be in Portland those dates.  We are going to a wedding on the evening of the 6th and we have a son to visit.  I hope we can all get together.  MBarnum doesn't live far and possibly the Washington crowd will drive down.

Jason

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2005, 11:58:30 AM »

I'm of the opinion that food isn't worth having if you don't have a little anti-foaming agent added.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2005, 12:03:21 PM »

I LOVE Chick Fil A!! They have them in New Jersey.  Rodzinski and I indulge when we do our weekend roadtrips to suburbia.  I think what makes them so amazing is that the buns are SOAKED in butter.

Okay, now I am officially starving!

Jane

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2005, 12:08:06 PM »

Hisaka your cake looks yummy.

Michael Shayne, Oct. 5th is the big get-together.  

DRLaura, delightful dance page.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2005, 12:08:37 PM »

Have you ever been to "La Farine" in Oakland (near Berkeley) on College Avenue?

Their pastries are TO DIE FOR.  The morning buns are heaven, but their "chocolatines" are out of this world!

http://www.lafarine.com/

I've never been there, but it looks amazing.  I will have to check it out on my next trip to Cali!

Jane

« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »

I have been craving chocolate all morning and trying very hard to be good today.  When possible I’m speed reading through the food posts.  I’m doing the same with the chicken ones.  Maybe if I read them I would loose my craving for chocolate. ;D  

Jane

« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2005, 12:24:42 PM »

Speaking of grammar, when did the word anyways (with an s) become a word?  

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »

Last night from CillalizCilaliz we will also be in Portland those dates.  We are going to a wedding on the evening of the 6th and we have a son to visit.  I hope we can all get together.  MBarnum doesn't live far and possibly the Washington crowd will drive down.

Unfortunately, I will be down at Triangle Lake with my family that weekend celabrating my sister and brother-in-law's 35 years of wedded bliss.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2005, 12:43:46 PM »

Cillaliz & Jane, August 5 looks like the best bet.  We're having Gabe's birthday party on Betsy's actual birthday, August 6 (we'll be on the road when Gabe's actual birthday hits).

East coasters
:  if you had your get together on October 6 instead, you could have a little birthday celebration for moi.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »

And when did often suddenly get the "t" to sound?

Don't even get me started on "aks" for "ask."

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2005, 12:47:49 PM »

Not to mention the "w" sounding in sword.  :(

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2005, 12:53:53 PM »

DRDan(theMan), I tried to send you a PM; your box is full.  

Yeah, I hear that one a lot.

Clearing it out now, good sir.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2005, 12:55:17 PM »

Also dismaying how many people refer to a death in a body of water by saying somebody "drownded."

Iris*

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2005, 01:01:36 PM »

JRand54--Guy Haines was in your mailbox today? However did you manage to extricate him?

elmore--I may not ever eat chicken again. Perhaps I'll consume mass quantities of Beard Papa cream puffs and chocolate cake like DR Hisaka's instead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up