Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAD TYPER  (Read 41883 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE MAD TYPER
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »

Yes, indeed. Welcome to our own little Valhalla, DR Matthew! Pull up a cloud and settle in for the long haul.

Yes...now that you're "up here," you have to get stuff from the ground by hauling it up in buckets....and those are long ropes and gettin' stuff is truly a long haul.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2005, 01:34:27 PM »

Top of the page to us all....

....this is not for Mahler and has nothing to do with hats and the piano has been sent to the shop for repairs.

This one's on "me."

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2005, 01:34:29 PM »

re: the corn, is it better to cook with husks or not? (you each said something different).

And for the ribs, has anybody tried these recipes.  If you only simmer for 20 minutes and then grill for 10 minutes i cannot imagine that they could be drop off the bone.  I have read recipes where people said simmering for 1 hour isn't even enough!

I have never tried to cook them in husks, just slathererd in butter and wrapped in foil

I have to admit my personal recipe for ribs is to buy them precooked and presauced at COSTCO and heat them up on the grill  ;)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »

Started the afternoon with a VERY bad, very guilty pleasure - Doris Day in CAPRICE. There aren't many of her movies that are worse than this, possibly THE BALLAD OF JOSIE, but I always get a kick out of the op-art clothes designed by Ray Agayhan and the scenery chewing performance of Ray Walston. Doris' sheep dog wig is also good for lots of laughs, and the title song is really not worthy of her vocal gifts.

Still, I recorded it off the Fox Movie Channel over the weekend and today burned myself a DVD copy. I don't see 20th making this one of their Fox Movie Classics DVD releases any time soon, so onto a DVD it went.

When I want to see good Doris Day, I put in CALAMITY JANE, THE PAJAMA GAME, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, or THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (among many other classics she made).

For bad Doris, you just can't beat CAPRICE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2005, 01:36:05 PM »

Beware the "slathered in butter" syndrome...it's addictive.

I used to by ears of corn on sticks at the beach...and they would be dipped in butter, then handed to me.  I would then salt and pepper my ear...and start chowing down.

I could put away two or three of them way back when.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »

After my soap went off (no more Cady Huffman since her first day's introduction of the character), I put in THE RAZOR'S EDGE.

As with most of the Fox Movie Classics, the picture is pristine. I didn't find the sound quite as full as other movies of this vintage, but it's fine. I only got about an hour of it watched, so I still have quite a bit more of it to see. Clifton Webb really outdid himself in this movie playing the acerbic queen. Very memorable.

vixmom

« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2005, 01:40:47 PM »

I just got back from visiting the sight of what will be my primary job in the fall.  It's a residential treatment facility and day school for emotionally disturbed kids.  The neighborhood is amazing- it's in a part of the Bronx called Riverdale, that I had never seen before- quite beautiful and very residential.

The staff seems really friendly and I got to meet one of the other interns that I will be working closely with.  I also got to find out what my responsibilities will be once I start- I'll be doing individual therapy with the day school children twice a week, acting as their case manager to help coordinate between their teachers and any other social service providers, monitoring their medication(s) with their psychiatrist, and providing family therapy...and of course all of the state department of mental health required paperwork.

Can I say that I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed??!!  It was comforting to talk to the other intern after our meeting and find out that she felt just as scared as me :)  I'm sure that I will be fine once I jump in and get started, and the staff seems hugely supportive.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~[/move]
for enjoying a wonderful new job

but I am confused.. I thought you were going to work for the Gay Mens' Health Crisis Center (or something like that )

Jason

« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »

DR Jose and I had a loverly lunch at Georgio's Country Grill on 9th Ave. I had the grilled pepper steak with onions, peppers and mushrooms over rice and he had a wrap of some sort with onion rings. Quite tasty. We followed that up with a hearty serving of Dippin' Dots (Banana Split).  YUM!

He and I will be meeting after work to view a yet-to-be-determined motion picture entertainment. DRs Rodzinski and TPunk and any other NYers are welcome to come!

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2005, 01:41:41 PM »

Yes...now that you're "up here," you have to get stuff from the ground by hauling it up in buckets....and those are long ropes and gettin' stuff is truly a long haul.

Just be sure there are no Andrew Lloyd Webber cast recordings in those buckets please!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »

We had a lovely hour's worth of rain this afternoon which did manage to cool things off. The sun's back out now but it's only in the high 70s. Quite a change from the last few weeks.

vixmom

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2005, 01:43:26 PM »

DR RonP, what exactly is a grill pain?

DR Vixmom, i think 2 hours on the BBQ sounds like more time than i want to spend out there. i would use up all the gas! :)

Also, when i cook potatoes i always microwave them first. I don't want anything that takes an hour.

I believe when Ron said "grill pain" he was referring to that crick you get in your back standing over a grill for two hours cooking the ribs.  I find  Cillaliz's suggestion to sit down with a beer much more sensible

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2005, 01:52:29 PM »

A few things...
I enjoy WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE LIGHTS WENT OUT, which is probably considered less than Doris's best.

Corn cooked in the husk cannot be beat, as far as I'm concerned.

While I have not made it to a video store yet, I did find a Disney paperback edition of THE BOATNIKS while up in Vermont.

TPunk is doing her field placement for school at the place she mentioned today. Her GMHC gig is a part-time job.

I don't know how the vixter would perceive ALTAR BOYZ. She may be too young to get that subtle distinction (if it indeed exists) between lampooning religion and religious musical groups. But it might be a good topic for you two to debate.

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2005, 01:59:12 PM »

DR Jose may find particular interest in the current Sondheim Review. The biography of a song in this issue is "Finishing the Hat"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2005, 02:03:12 PM »

Way to go, Oregon folk. Yours is the only state that did not grow more obese!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/23/obesity.state.rankings.ap/index.html

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2005, 02:06:33 PM »

Way to go, Oregon folk. Yours is the only state that did not grow more obese!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/23/obesity.state.rankings.ap/index.html

I think I ruined it for North Caraolina. Try as I might to watch my weigh and food intake, I know I have put on weight since LA CAGE closed. Very easy to nibble while watching movies at night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »

That may change when DRs Jane and Michael return from the Jose tour.
That seemed like a Mary Poppins reference!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »

Off to read a bit and clean the living room. Will be back later tonight.

Jennifer

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2005, 02:27:35 PM »

I definitely don't have a grill pan!

re: corn.  I'm not sure if this is common.  But here everyone de-husks their corn right in the grocery store so they don't have the mess at home.  AND to check it out to make sure it's good.

DR RonP, do you grill with the husk completely closed up?

I'm off to make my ribs now!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2005, 02:50:15 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~VIBES~~~~~~[/move]
for enjoying a wonderful new job

but I am confused.. I thought you were going to work for the Gay Mens' Health Crisis Center (or something like that )
Thanks for the good vibes.  As Rodzinski explained, the residential facility is a 3 day a week internship to fulfill my fieldwork requirement for my MSW.  Gay Men's Health Crisis is part-time to help pay the bills.  I also will be in school one full day a week.

I will occasionally stop at home to check on Rodzinski and the cats  ;D

Ginny

« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2005, 03:03:54 PM »

Thanks for the good vibes.  As Rodzinski explained, the residential facility is a 3 day a week internship to fulfill my fieldwork requirement for my MSW.  Gay Men's Health Crisis is part-time to help pay the bills.  I also will be in school one full day a week.

I will occasionally stop at home to check on Rodzinski and the cats  ;D

But you will have time to join the October HHW gathering at some point, won't you?  

DR TPunk, I have the utmost respect for people who set out to do the kind of work you're doing.  I'm having the kind of day here in the public library that makes me think I should have a social work degree instead of library science!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2005, 03:11:36 PM »

I saw him just last night in the opening segment of 1964's "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte."

Trivia Note: Charlotte was actually played by Jewel Rannow and BD's own eyes. jewel rannow went on to write Welcome Back Kotter with then husband Jerry Rannow.
Never stop dreaming.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

Is it bad that a little part of me sorta wishes they would?  :D

Not that I'm defending the theater of which we speak...I would rather amused if they got in trouble...but what about another theater program we know of.  This one is so fanatic about keeping running times short that they go around cutting bits of their shows out all over the place...couldn't they get in trouble as well, Jason? :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 03:47:19 PM by Ann »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »

Just be sure there are no Andrew Lloyd Webber cast recordings in those buckets please!  :D

I have a constant production of "Sunset Blvd" going in my head!!!   All ALW cast recordings are in my iPod, no bucket necessary!

Jennifer

« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »

OMG the ribs were so good. The best i've ever made.  I made the most delicious sauce (usually i try to make a healthier version). But today i mixed soya sauce, honey, brown sugar, corn starch, ketchup, and bbq sauce.  And it was delicious!

Danise

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2005, 04:02:43 PM »

Evening all!

I couldn’t post last night because we had a very nasty storm.  As I type this it is getting darker by the second and hear the thunder boomers in the distance.  I may not be able to post for very long.

I just want to wish DR TCB the Hap, Hap, Happiest of Birthdays!!

Welcome to the clouds, DR Mathew!  Enjoy the view!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
[/move]

Vibes to DR TPunk on the new job.  You can do it!  

BK, that’s October you want to book your JetBlue tickets for, not November!  

DR Hisaka—I wish you could join us for the October gathering.  I have two free nights coming to me from  Comfort Inns so maybe someday (next year even)  I might be able to keep my promise to BK and come see a play of his.  Maybe we could plan a mini gathering at that time.  No promises at this point but it is on my mind.

DR MBarnum the day of the tour/evening gathering is the Wednesday of the week.  That’s the 5th.

As for a itinerary—here is mine in case anyone wants to meet.

Oct 1  Saturday –get into NYC in the morning, go to the hotel to leave luggage.  Go to Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum that afternoon, Chitty at seven.

Oct 2  Sunday   Michael Ball!

Oct 3  Monday Comprehensive Manhattan Tour/evening is free

Oct 4  Tuesday, No plans day or evening at this time.  Thinking about the zoo/central park area for the day  

Oct 5 Wednesday The Gathering!  Walking tour from ? to ?  Dinner from ? to ?

Oct 6 Thursday Daytime- No plans/Evening-Fiddler on the Roof

Oct 7 Friday  Catch a train to Dover, NJ.  Visit with friends all day, back sometime in the evening

Oct. 8 Saturday, Plane leaves at 7:30 PM No plans for the day

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2005, 04:18:29 PM »

DR RonP, do you grill with the husk completely closed up?

Actually, I do.

I used charcoal when I grill, so I wrap the ears in tin foil and drop them directly onto the coals, turning them every few minutes.  The husks char, the silks char, and some of the kernels char....but the taste is ohmygosh terrific!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:49:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2005, 04:19:25 PM »

Back from a lovely lunch and greeted with yet more pressing plant turmoil.  My gal didn't like the new pressing plant, so now she's taken everything back to the OLD pressing plant, who have promised her things will run more smoothly from here on in.  We're still on track for me to have discs by the 1st, and if I get them, I will ship out as many as possible on the 2nd and 3rd.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2005, 04:23:10 PM »

I believe when Ron said "grill pain" he was referring to that crick you get in your back standing over a grill for two hours cooking the ribs.  I find  Cillaliz's suggestion to sit down with a beer much more sensible

Grill "pain" is bread best suited for grilling...normally your French and sourdough styles of bread.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 04:24:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2005, 04:28:48 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR TCB

Congrats to the new HHW God,  DR MATTHEW

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: August 23, 2005, 04:30:29 PM »

I am having a craving for Chicken Piccata, but agreed to wait until tomorrow night to go to the Italian Restaurant where I want to get it with a friend. However, it's on my mind, so I may just have to eat there 2 days in a row!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up