Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL  (Read 23060 times)

Ginny

Re:IT'S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL
« Reply #120 on: September 30, 2005, 01:57:57 PM »

Gotta go help close up the Library - bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2005, 02:06:59 PM »

Very true, DR JRand. The documentary shows a scene from the TV show Jim and Natalie did before they appeared together in REBEL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »

This has truly been a glorious fall day. The high hasn't gone above 72, and for most of the day, the lower temperatures and lack of humidity made having the windows open sheer bliss.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2005, 02:22:29 PM »

Hisaka has arrived.  I'll mosey on over there shortly and pick her up.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2005, 02:25:27 PM »

Glad to read DR Hisaka arrived safe and sound.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »

It's Friday, and that means time to mop the kitchen floor.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »

A LEVITY TREAT FOR KIMLETS (Part I):

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in  pineapple.

English muffins weren't invented in England or French fries in France.

Sweetmeats are candies while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.

And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of
them, what do you call it?

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?

How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.

English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are
out, they are invisible.

PS. - Why doesn't "Buick" rhyme with "quick"

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2005, 02:39:05 PM »

LEVITY FOR KIMLETS - Part II:

You lovers of the English language might enjoy this . .

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is "UP."

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ? At a meeting,
why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?

We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses. To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP . We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.

We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized
dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you
don't give UP , you may wind UP with a hundred or more. When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing
UP .

When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.

When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP ,
so............ Time to shut UP .....!

Oh...one more thing:

What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night?

U-P

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2005, 02:46:19 PM »

Friday night!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2005, 02:48:34 PM »

Wacky English!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2005, 02:50:42 PM »

A LEVITY TREAT FOR KIMLETS (Part I):

Let's face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant, nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in  pineapple.

<SNIP>

If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?....

der Brucer

And in English, we also park on a driveway and drive on a parkway!

Pretty darned funny! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2005, 02:54:49 PM »

SPOILERS FOR last night's ALIAS

DR MattH, I didn't realize that Jennifer Garner wanted him gone or that Michael V. was out for now.  I still wonder when he will come back though. I know he has a lot of fans who want to see Vaugh and Syd together.

As for DR SWW's question about the blonde girl at the computer.  Wasn't she the same girl who came onto Vaughn at the party pretending to be the daughter.  Does anyone know if she is the new girl that everyone is talking about who will be on the show from now on.  I know Syd is supposed to be tutoring someone. And I also know there is supposed to be a blonde girl who will be featured very prominently this season.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2005, 02:57:37 PM »

And for DR MattH, re: the season premiere of Veronica Mars.

(don't read if you haven't watched).

OMG.

OMG.

OMG.

What a fantastic episode. I will admit I need to watch it again, since it was very confusing (the way they kept talking about her rich boyfriend in the past and then the present). I had a feeling she would be dating Duncan. And at first I was "oh ick!". But the way they did it was great.

And then we were told to expect a great surprise. And we were told "if you are asking yourself if you've seen it, then you haven't" (i guess after the duncan bf twist some people might have wondered). Interesting how logan isn't even involved in the new case. They resolved his case so quickly.  But the end was like "wow, wow, double wow".  What a great episode.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »

TODAY'S NASTY:

THE OFFICIAL CLINTON PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO:

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2005, 03:16:25 PM »

COMMENTS on last night's ALIAS season premiere.

Did anybody here see it?

SPOILERS.

do not read if you haven't watched yet.

Wow. What a crazy first episode.  I am wondering how long we will be without vaughn.  Since he is still in the credits, and since I am assuming he is staying, are they simply faking his death?  Hopefully he will be back on next week, since i'm thinking most alias fans will be freaking out pretty bad after watching the funeral!

any thoughts?

More SPOILERS

Okay, so I thought that they were faking his death when he got shot up and the train was obsuring her view, that the CIA guys was going to extract him.  But then she was at the hospital with him and I kept thinking that I couldn't believe he had survived... do you think they are really going to bring him back or are they keeping him in the credits to throw us off- can they do that?

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »

Pickering leg breaks to TCB but not on the street where he lives - just the theatre.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »

Saw it.  Something about the photography was very different, haven't figured out exactly what yet.

SPOILER ALERT:

And there was a blonde at the computer; were we supposed to know who it was?

I had the same question and looked it up online.  I think she was Rachel Nichols, a new cast member in the role of Rachel Gibson.  But I have no idea what her significance is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 03:29:52 PM by TPunk »

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »

Thank you DRs for the comments re Maureen's note.
She is taking the next week off from work and spending time with her sister Judith. I'm in touch with Maureen and I know that Derek's siblings have been having a very difficult time. Maureen and I correspond nearly every day. They do know their brother was very loved. Love and humour give them the stength to cope.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »

Those of you who are fans of the Disney attraction, ITS A SMALL WORLD, should avoid watching "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" - for the rest of you who find that stupid theme ringing in your mind at the most inconsiderate times - you will enjoy Tim Burton's wonderful send-up at the start of the film.

der Brucer

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2005, 03:32:32 PM »

I'm so glad there are other Alias fans here.  Over the years my viewing buddies have moved away from NYC and Rodzinski refuses to watch with me (but to give him credit, he has committed to watching Medium).

For those of you who watch the show, picture me earlier this year just after the season finale, jumping up and down screaming, with nobody to share it with.

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2005, 03:52:59 PM »

DR TPunk, there are quite a few of us here who watch Alias.  And we usually comment on it the next day!

Jennifer

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »

DR MattH re: the premiere episode of VERONICA MARS.

(spoilers).

I went back and rewatched parts of the show. And I realized exactly the scene that confused me.  In the middle of the show they showed Veronica in her waitress outfit at her job. She was talking to duncan saying that she hadn't seen him ALL SUMMER. And then she went to kiss Logan her boyfriend.

Since all the scenes with her as a waitress were from the day before school and beyond.  And since she mentioned not having seen duncan all summer. I guess i assumed that this scene was taking place just before school started.

So I was thrown off by that.  I guess that scene was supposed to be a month into summer.  Very tricky.

But boy I was not expecting that ending.  I can't believe how I didn't see that coming at all.  But I didn't.

Jennifer

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »

ALIAS SPOILERS from last night's show.

I had the same question and looked it up online.  I think she was Rachel Nichols, a new cast member in the role of Rachel Gibson.  But I have no idea what her significance is supposed to be.

Yes it was new cast member Rachel Nichols.  So was she working that bad guy or was she unknowingly helping him?  And it was her at the party with vaughn and sydney, right (coming on to vaughn saying she was the daughter of the guy).  

I read some rumors about her that the writers are hoping that the viewers like her.  Because if Jennifer Garner leaves next year, then this woman (who is gonna be syd's apprentice) would star in the show? Anybody else hear this?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »

Thanks to all of you who expressed such nice comments about my new avatar.  I think I will keep it for a little while.  Also, thanks to all who offered good wishes on the opening of MY FAIR LADY.  I think it will be a good show.  How can it help but be with all these HHW vibes being sent my way?

I'm guilty of not doing so before.

GREAT VIBES!!  

I suspect you will be a hit, with or without our vibes :).

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2005, 04:09:57 PM »

ALIAS SPOILERS from last night's show.Yes it was new cast member Rachel Nichols.  So was she working that bad guy or was she unknowingly helping him?  And it was her at the party with vaughn and sydney, right (coming on to vaughn saying she was the daughter of the guy).  

I read some rumors about her that the writers are hoping that the viewers like her.  Because if Jennifer Garner leaves next year, then this woman (who is gonna be syd's apprentice) would star in the show? Anybody else hear this?

I'm going to have to rewatch last night's show to see her- I totally didn't pick up that it was the same girl!  That's what I get for multitasking.

I don't know if I could watch it if Jennifer Garner left- not because I love so much I could never see anyone replace her (although I do love her) but because so much of the show's tension comes not only from the action sequences, but from the relationships, her hatred of Sloane, the distance between her and her father (who is all she has left, so that should get interesting) her confliction about her mother- how could you introduce a brand new character and replicate any of these relationships?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2005, 04:17:59 PM »

Wednesday's Doggie Picture Shoot:

Papa Beau:

And son, Rocky:

DERBRUCER

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »

More Pound Pups:

Sam

and, Pepper

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2005, 04:25:48 PM »

And for your pre-teens Show and Tell:

JAKE:

Jake is a 40 pound, nine foot long, Burmese Python who is very friendly and easy to handle.

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: September 30, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »

Cute puppy.  I'm almost tempted, not the key word-almost.

MBarnum

« Reply #149 on: September 30, 2005, 04:31:10 PM »

Just looking at the weather forcast for New York City and it shows upper 70s and lower 80s through Tuesday....hmmm...I might need to repack a bit and throw in another pair of shorts.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up