Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVING RIGHT ALONG  (Read 31119 times)

François de Paris

Re:MOVING RIGHT ALONG
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2005, 02:09:51 PM »

So you're the boyfriend?

YES!

AND Blakie does NOT approve of it!
Wonder if National Enquirer has the story already?! :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »

You can add ABC's INVASION to the list of new shows that have picked up for a full season of 22 episodes. The pickup was just announced today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2005, 02:25:56 PM »

The English cast of "Sweeney Todd" - does that count?
Do you actually have this??

The Australian cast of "The Boy From OZ'
I have the original Australian cast recording of this without Hugh and the OBC with him.

Of course, the preference for me is for shows with non-English language settings performed in the language of wherever it's supposed to be set.  But yea, that's what I'm talking about.  Although I have it (who doesn't), even the Broadway cast recording of Company would count. ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 02:27:21 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2005, 02:34:52 PM »

That is sad news, MattH, Porky was always my favorite as a kid watching the Little Rascals after school.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2005, 03:00:54 PM »

Yes, the gang is leaving us one by one, sad to say (remembering that Butch left us a week or so ago). I wonder who is the oldest surviving Our Gang member now?

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2005, 03:01:54 PM »

Off to tackle that dang old kitchen floor. I'll return later tonight with comments on SMALLVILLE.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2005, 03:03:20 PM »

Do you actually have this??
Of course! : Denis Quilley & Sheila Hancock
And I thought you were a Sondheim fan/.  LOL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2005, 03:08:07 PM »

Of course! : Denis Quilley & Sheila Hancock
And I thought you were a Sondheim fan/.  LOL

Unfortunately, if it's not commercially released, I don't usually have it. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »

As Blanche DuBois says, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. ;)

George

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2005, 03:11:45 PM »

Hint, hint...nudge, nudge...wink, wink!

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2005, 03:12:21 PM »

And how strange can I be? I saw the London Production.
The Cd is "Legal".  It was recorded on the last night I think.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2005, 03:16:17 PM »

I do have a version of Sweeney Todd that I recorded from an Internet broadcast with Thomas Allen.  I have no idea who else are on it and I haven't broken it up into tracks, but I at least have it.

François de Paris

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2005, 03:17:18 PM »

George, there's a 1995 Barcelona cast recording!

I don't have it, no senor!

Sweeney Todd, El barber diabòlic del carrer Fleet - Barcelona Cast Recording (sung in Catalan)

Conducted by Manuel Gas
Translation by Roser Batalla & Roger Peña
Cast: Esteve Ferrer, Joe Luciano Garrigo, Oriol Genís, Pep Molina, Jordi Muixi, Vicky Peña, Maria Josep Peris, Pedro Pomares, Xavier Ribera, Muntsa Rius, Constantino Romero, and Teresa Vallicrosa

* Double Compact Disc, 1995
      [Horus (Polydor Spain) 25002] [116 mins.]

George

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2005, 03:20:35 PM »

And how strange can I be? I saw the London Production.
The Cd is "Legal".  It was recorded on the last night I think.

Was it sold only at the theater??  I have never seen one commercially available, even on British websites!

George

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2005, 03:21:57 PM »

George, there's a 1995 Barcelona cast recording!

I do have this...and the Barcelona cast recording of A Little Night Music! ;D

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2005, 03:22:09 PM »

Always thought it would have been more appropriate set in Seville!   I borrowed the set once. Beautiful packaging too.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2005, 03:23:02 PM »

1980 London Production: no mention of a recording where i found that info!

Opened July 2, 1980 at the Theatre Drury Lane, London
Closed November 15, 1980; Ran for 157 performances
Produced by Robert Stigwood in association with David Land,
by arrangement with Richard Barr, Charles Woodward, Robert Fryer,
Mary Lea Johnson, and Martin Richards
Directed by Harold Prince
Dance and Movement by Larry Fuller
Production Designed by Eugene Lee
Costumes Designed by Franne Lee
Lighting Designed by Ken Billington
Orchestrations by Jonathan Tunick
Musical Director: Ray Cook
Cast

Sweeney Todd - Denis Quilley
Mrs. Lovett - Sheila Hancock
Beggar Woman - Dilys Watling
Tobias - Michael Staniforth
Anthony - Andrew C. Wadsworth
Johanna - Mandy More
Judge Turpin - Austin Kent
Beadle Bamford - David Wheldon-Williams
Pirelli - John Aron
Jonas Fogg - Oz Clarke

The Company - Sylvia Beamish, Michael Bulman, Simon Butteriss, Oz Clarke, Linda D'Arcy, Victoria Duncan, Katherine Dyson, Mercia Glossop, Andrew Golder, Stuart Haycock, Stephen Hill, Marie Jackson, Diane Mansfield, Neil Michael, William Relton, Myra Sands, Suzanne Sloan, Grant Smith, Rex Taylor Craig, David Urwin
Musical Numbers

[same as the Broadway Production, except "Parlor Songs" was dropped and a new song "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" was added]
Awards

* London Standard Drama Award for Best Musical
    * Society of West End Theatre Award for Best Musical
    * Society of West End Theatre Award for Best Actor in a Musical (Dennis Quilley)

François de Paris

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2005, 03:26:15 PM »

Was it sold only at the theater??  I have never seen one commercially available, even on British websites!

It was only sold at the local barber! :D

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2005, 03:31:59 PM »

Of some interest!

1993 Royal National Theatre Production

Sweeney Todd [1993 National Theatre Program]

Opened June 2, 1993 at the Cottesloe Theatre, London
Closed October 19, 1993
Re-opened in repertory on December 16, 1993 at the Lyttelton Theatre, London
Closed June 1, 1994
Presented by the Royal National Theatre
Directed by Declan Donnellan
Designed by Nick Ormerod
Musical Director: Paddy Cunneen
Cast

Anthony Hope - Adrian Lester
Sweeney Todd - Alun Armstrong (replaced by Denis Quilley for the re-opening)
Beggar Woman - Sheila Reid
Mrs. Lovett - Julia McKenzie
Judge Turpin - Denis Quilley
The Beadle - Barry James
Johanna - Carol Starks
Tobias Ragg - Adrian Lewis Morgan
Pirelli - Nick Holder
Musical Numbers

[same as the Broadway Production, with the following exception: adds "Johanna (Judge's Song)"]
Lawrence Olivier Awards

* Best Musical Revival
    * Best Director of a Musical (Declan Donnellan)
    * Best Actor in a Musical (Alun Armstrong)
    * Best Actress in a Musical (Julia McKenzie)

Radio Recording

This production (with Denis Quilley as Sweeney Todd) was recorded by the BBC for broadcast on BBC Radio 2 in July, 1994

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2005, 03:38:38 PM »

Yep!  Have that one too.
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2005, 03:40:01 PM »

This is the one with Thomas Allen! (not to be confused with Thomas Guest who sure could make a great Sweeney Todd!!

2003 Royal Opera House Production

Opened December 15, 2003 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London
Closed January 14, 2004; Ran in repertory for 9 performances
Presented by arrangement with Josef Weinberger Limited
on behalf of Music Theatre International of New York
Conducted by Paul Gemignani
Directed by Neil Armfield
Set Designs by Brian Thomson
Costumes Designs by Tess Schofield
Lighting by Rory Dempster
Choreography by Denni Sayers

This production is based on the 2002 Lyric Opera of Chicago production
Cast

Sweeney Todd - Thomas Allen
Mrs. Lovett - Felicity Palmer
Anthony Hope - William Dazeley
Johanna - Rebecca Evans
Tobias Ragg - Doug Jones
Judge Turpin - Jonathan Veira
The Beadle - Robert Tear
Pirelli - Bonaventura Bottone
Beggar Woman - Rosalind Plowright
Jonas Fogg - Matthew Rose

George

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »

This is the one with Thomas Allen!....

Thanks for the info!! ;D

George

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »

Yep!  Have that one too.

Tomovoz, after I leave work, I will e-mail you. ;) We must speak.

td

• td
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »

On the Marni Nixon - Shirley Jones subject - I heard it first from Bob Gutowski, a New Yorker, who insisted that it was common knowledge - perhaps, Marni discussed it in one of her shows. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François de Paris

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »

Berkshires Weeks, July 31, 2003.

Marni Nixon is 'Giving up the ghost'

By Milton Bass

Unlike old soldiers, Marni Nixon at 73 has no intention of fading away.

"I'm not quite sure about my high Fs," she said in a recent interview, "but I must live right because my voice can still sound exactly like it did 50 years ago. As far as I’m concerned, I’m just beginning and although the road is harder than it used to be, I try to keep in shape and I’m still going strong.”

Nixon, of course, is famous as "The Ghostess With the Mostess" because she dubbed the singing for Audrey Hepburn in the movie version of "My Fair Lady," for Deborah Kerr in the movie version of “The King and I” and for Natalie Wood in the movie version of “West Side Story.” She also did singovers for various other actresses in films and television, ranging from Marilyn Monroe in her prime and Ethel Waters past her prime.

Nixon has become a familiar entertainer in the Berkshires through her association with the Barrington Stage Company. Artistic director Julianne Boyd cast her in the stunning production of "Cabaret" a few years ago and since then Nixon has been returning to the BSC each summer in her one-woman show that is basically a musical autobiography.

She started her musical career in her native California as a violinist at the age of 9 but it was her pure soprano that netted her the roles in various productions until she got her big break in "The King and I."

"Somebody else had been hired to do the singing," she said, "but it didn't work out and 10 days before the production was to start they were stuck. I had been doing incidental voices and they asked me to lay down a track. They played it for Richard Rodgers and he approved and two days later I started the job.”

The only one of the potentates who really respected the kind of work Nixon was doing was Leonard Bernstein, and he showed his appreciation by giving her a small percentage of his royalties from the "West Side Story" movie.

Several years went by before she was able to talk her way backstage at one of his concerts to thank him for what he had done. She knocked on his dressing room door and he opened it himself, looked at her and said: "Well, well, well. Marni Nixon Gold. 9040 Hollywood Hills Road, Los Angeles, California."

"Can you imagine that?" she asked, still incredulous all these years later. "He not only remembered me but he remembered my address. How did he know my address? Can you imagine that?”

Nixon also spent a couple of years touring with Victor Borge and then Liberace. She was the soprano who sang seriously while they clowned around.

What about the famous moment when the soprano shrieks and Borge falls off the piano stool to the floor? "Mine," she said. "I created a lot of stuff for him. He refused to rehearse or tell me what he was going to do. He would say things like 'When you hear B minor, sing “Summer Time." One night he stuck a banana in my mouth when I was about to sing. I never knew from one show to the next what we were going to do.

"Liberace was totally different, but he also liked to improvise. He did everything himself. Picked the material. Designed my costumes. We would have a production meeting and he would say 'You are Miss Malaprop. So just be natural.' He was like a computer brain. He was magic." Nixon thought to herself for a moment.

"Borge was a wonderful musician," she said, "but a skinflint. Liberace was totally generous. He came to me and said that the next tour was going to be throughout the South, one night stands. He said the living conditions would be tougher and the travel more arduous. I told him I didn't think I wanted to do it. He pleaded with me but I decided that it wasn’t for me. I was tired. When he saw that I wasn’t going to change my mind, he started to cry. But I didn’t go.”

Nixon has traveled all over the world doing concerts and in touring productions.

"I love the Mozart soubrette roles, lots of coloratura roles," she said.

"In addition to my one-woman show, I have done a series of Wolf songs in concert this year, and the early songs of Franz Waxman. I do a lot at colleges and give master classes in voice. Last year I did 'Follies' with Blythe Danner for three months when they needed a replacement. I’m as busy as I want to be but now I only do things that interest me. I’m also trying to write my autobiography. Right now it’s called ‘Marni: Giving up the Ghost.’ I have two chapters done but I need a ghost writer. I had one but she started changing my quotes so I dropped her."

Nixon has been married three times and had three children with her first husband. Her son, Andrew Gold, is a songwriter and performer. He wrote the "Thank You for Being My Friend," children's classic and the theme song for the "Golden Girls" TV series. Her older daughter is a Los Angeles psychologist and her younger daughter is a singer-songwriter. There are five grandchildren to complement the group. Her present husband, Al Block, is a retired jazz musician who is now “a symphonic flutist and a tennis bum.”

Any thoughts of retiring? "I'm just beginning," she said vigorously. "I try to keep in shape. I’ll see you next year."

© 2005 New England Newspapers, Inc.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2005, 04:28:51 PM »

OH!  DR Jason and Ben to pass on to Ant - Nick got Hairspray in Vegas!!!  -Which also means I can have my "room" back at the place in Harlem. :-)

Why, there hasn't been a lesbian in this house since your grandma died.

I'm back from seeing 8 Durang one-acts and the Tennessee Williams parody FOR WHOM THE SOUTHERN BELLE TOLLS had me rolling on the floor.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2005, 04:51:19 PM »

On the Marni Nixon - Shirley Jones subject - I heard it first from Bob Gutowski, a New Yorker, who insisted that it was common knowledge - perhaps, Marni discussed it in one of her shows. . .
Of course "common knowledge" is so reliable - and from a New Yorker too.  A simliar source told me that Sondheim had written a complete "Sunset Boulevarde" some 25 years ago but was waiting for Angela to be old enough for the role. The same source said that Mr Sondheim was close to death from "the plague) at that time.
Of course there is the "it's in print or on the NET - it must be true!"
Cynical moi.
Possibly true but unlikely and unnecessary (emergency!)- but what's the use of wond'rin'?. I would agree with Ron - Ms Jones would have had no difficulty with any of those notes.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2005, 05:18:15 PM »

1980 London Production: no mention of a recording where i found that info!

Opened July 2, 1980 at the Theatre Drury Lane, London
Closed November 15, 1980; Ran for 157 performances
Produced by Robert Stigwood in association with David Land,
by arrangement with Richard Barr, Charles Woodward, Robert Fryer,
Mary Lea Johnson, and Martin Richards
Directed by Harold Prince
Dance and Movement by Larry Fuller
Production Designed by Eugene Lee
Costumes Designed by Franne Lee
Lighting Designed by Ken Billington
Musical Director: Ray Cook
Cast

Sweeney Todd - Denis Quilley
Mrs. Lovett - Sheila Hancock
Beggar Woman - Dilys Watling
Tobias - Michael Staniforth
Anthony - Andrew C. Wadsworth
Johanna - Mandy More
Judge Turpin - Austin Kent
Beadle Bamford - David Wheldon-Williams
Pirelli - John Aron
Jonas Fogg - Oz Clarke

The Company - Sylvia Beamish, Michael Bulman, Simon Butteriss, Oz Clarke, Linda D'Arcy, Victoria Duncan, Katherine Dyson, Mercia Glossop, Andrew Golder, Stuart Haycock, Stephen Hill, Marie Jackson, Diane Mansfield, Neil Michael, William Relton, Myra Sands, Suzanne Sloan, Grant Smith, Rex Taylor Craig, David Urwin
Musical Numbers

[same as the Broadway Production, except "Parlor Songs" was dropped and a new song "Beggar Woman's Lullaby" was added]
Awards

* London Standard Drama Award for Best Musical
    * Society of West End Theatre Award for Best Musical
    * Society of West End Theatre Award for Best Actor in a Musical (Dennis Quilley)

I saw this production on my only trip to London.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2005, 05:19:13 PM »

Dear Vixmom

Thanks for asking about the back. It is getting better and so are a lot of other things. That I hope to reveal soon.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2005, 05:21:20 PM »

Of course "common knowledge" is so reliable - and from a New Yorker too.  A simliar source told me that Sondheim had written a complete "Sunset Boulevarde" some 25 years ago but was waiting for Angela to be old enough for the role. The same source said that Mr Sondheim was close to death from "the plague) at that time.
Of course there is the "it's in print or on the NET - it must be true!"
Cynical moi.
Possibly true but unlikely and unnecessary (emergency!)- but what's the use of wond'rin'?. I would agree with Ron - Ms Jones would have had no difficulty with any of those notes.

When I had a wonderful opportunity to work with Miss Lansbury we talked about her and Sunset Blvd.

Few months later I met Mr. S and asked him about that. He said he had no plans to write the musical version of Sunset Blvd. Angela was being hopeful and the publicity machine was at work.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up