Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF NOVEMBER  (Read 30092 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE THICK OF NOVEMBER
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 06:59:44 AM »

Well I used to always buy the Greg Larson desk calendar - but they are not made anymore.

I always buy the I LOVE LUCY 12 month calendar AND a calendar that has BIG spaces to write in.  I also buy a small 16 month calendar diary to carry with me in my briefcase to remind me of important dates and conflicts at the theatre!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 07:03:55 AM »

Re calendars:

We always get the For the Love of Welsh Corgis calendar as our appointment calendar on the wall, and already have the 2006 edition.  (Actually, I got the 2006 edition back in September, as soon as I saw we were starting to book things for 2006.)  Little by little, they've been making the boxes with the dates smaller and putting in more photos, so if it continues at this rate, by 2008, it might no longer be functional for writing in appointments and such.  But I guess they've figured out it sells better with more pictures and smaller boxes to write things in.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 07:23:47 AM »

Good morning!

It almost goes without saying that we have another spectacular day here. We have been without rain for a long day with day upon day filled with nothing but sunshine and moderate temperatures, and I'm sure folks who are cultivating growing things are desperately in need of water. No rain in the forecast either plus it's going to start to warm up over the next five days with temps getting near 80 by the end of the week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 07:25:11 AM »

Ma and Pa Dance Page Two.  ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 07:25:31 AM »

I love the page-a-day calendars. Obviously, I have the I LOVE LUCY one that I've been getting pics from for the page dances, and downstairs I have a JEOPARDY one.

They made a CSI daily calendar for two years, but last year, I couldn't find one, and I haven't seen one out for this coming year either at the book stores that are already putting out their 2006 calendars.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 07:27:04 AM »

I have to tell DR Jose how much I am enjoying his daily journal of LESTAT. Your excitement and enthusiasm are so entertaining to read, and I wanted you to know how happy I am for you and hope it's just the beginning of a long and illustrious career in the "pits" of Broadway.  

Bravo!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 07:30:14 AM »

I really don't care for FRANCIS THE TALKING MULE at all, but my favorite KETTLE movie is the second one of the series (not counting THE EGG AND I, of course), MA AND PA KETTLE GO TO TOWN.

Most critics seem to think MA AND PA KETTLE AT HOME is the best one. I'm not sure I remember it, but I assume it's on one of the KETTLE DVD sets. I haven't watched any of them since I got them.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2005, 07:31:43 AM »

Sad to read of the death of Lloyd Bochner. Always liked him and for siring the gorgeous Hart Bochner, we should ALL be grateful.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2005, 07:34:09 AM »

I should be getting DVDs today including one of my all-time favorite movies - TWO FOR THE ROAD. I made my own DVD from a Fox Movie Channel broadcast, but how wonderful it will be to toss that homemade copy for a beautiful enhanced transfer with stereo surround sound. Can't wait!

If it comes today, that will definitely be my movie of the day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2005, 07:34:11 AM »

Two moments from MA & PA KETTLE GO TO TOWN.

They win a trip to New York City.  At Penn Station his name is mentioned and a wealthy manufacturer assumes he is P.A. Kettle, owner of a men's undergarment concern.  Later Pa is changing his clothes in their 25th floor suite at the Waldorf-Astoria.  The manfacturer calls him to invite him to a party.  Pa answers the phone wearing his long johns.  There is some mix up about identities....then:

Parker:  Well aren't you the Kettle in underwear?

PA: Well, yes I am, but how did you know?

Parker:  Why everyone in New York knows.

PA: Just a minute. (and he goes to pull down the window shade).

Later PA picks up a bag with $10,000 in stolen money.  There is a big society shindig where the crooks show up to reclaim it.  To stall for time before the police arrive, PA arranges a square dance - and begins the call - with the bag of money going in all directions:

PA: Swing your partner, do-si-do, grab that bag, Ma, don't let go!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2005, 07:36:53 AM »

Sad news, DR MATTH.  I guess I hadn't really connected Lloyd with Hart.  Whew!

Ben

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2005, 07:44:39 AM »

I have on my office wall a wonderful calendar from a certain Ozian. November shows a shot of Collins Street. I think it's in Melbourne. There have been some beautiful pictures.

At home we have a World Wildlife Fund calendar with great animal pictures.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2005, 07:45:04 AM »

I see that DR Ron's beloved CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT comes out on DVD next week. Even better, if you buy it in the Warners Holiday Box (with BOYS TOWN and the 1938 CHRISTMAS CAROL), it ends up costing less than $7.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2005, 07:48:20 AM »

A mixture of new shows and repeats on network TV for me tonight, and VERONICA MARS isn't on at all (oh no!).

LOST and INVASION are both reruns, but LAW & ORDER and CSI: NY have new episodes along with E-RING and CRIMINAL MINDS and Martha's APPRENTICE, none of which I watch.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2005, 08:04:02 AM »

BK, re: your pressing plant issues.

Since you give them the order in advance have you ever considered giving them a deadline 2 days before you need them.  That way the next time they are late, you will still be on time.  

I also hate incompetence.  But at least this might help you! (although it's no excuse for them).

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2005, 08:20:04 AM »

TAR:

We loved the Gaghans, too.  As parents ourselves, we were very impressed with the parenting skills displayed--never, ever a cross word and only support for what the kids could do, rather than what they couldn't.  I can't for the life of me understand how anybody could have issues with this family.  They were a joy, IOHO.

Re:  the Weavers.   After they asked G-d to help them find something for the umpteenth time last night, I turned to DS Betsy and said, "If I were G-d, I'd smite them dead for bugging me every 5 minutes asking for directions."  DS Betsy spent the next several minutes LOL-ing, which always makes me happy.   ;D  I always love how the self-professed "Christians" are the cattiest, most clique-ish people around.

We've had Fractal Calendars for years--love 'em, love 'em, love 'em.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2005, 08:37:52 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - do you have a favorite entry in the Universal series flicks:  FRANCIS THE TALKING MULE and MA AND PA KETTLE.

I like FRANCIS JOINS THE WACS and MA AND PA KETTLE GO TO TOWN.

I know I saw several of each back at the Saturday matinee when I was really young, but I don't know which and have rarely seen them since.  I own the Ma and Pa Kettle DVD but haven't watched it yet.  Certainly I enjoyed the ones I saw.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2005, 08:39:14 AM »

Time for me to leave the internet for a spell and start prepping lunch. I'm doing spaghetti today, so that takes some preparation.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2005, 08:39:30 AM »

Question for BK and all:  What kind of wall calanders have you had up this year?  Where do you hang them?  Do you go for something decorative, functional or just fun?

I've already been given a nice calendar for 2006, but I haven't hung a calendar in over twenty years.  I don't remember when, exactly, but I started thinking it weird to have a hanging calendar.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2005, 08:43:25 AM »

BK, re: your pressing plant issues.

Since you give them the order in advance have you ever considered giving them a deadline 2 days before you need them.  That way the next time they are late, you will still be on time.  

I also hate incompetence.  But at least this might help you! (although it's no excuse for them).

Yes, I've done that - street date is the 15th, and I gave them over two weeks in advance.  On the site it says early copies will ship prior to that date, and they will.  So, I feel as long as I ship out a week in advance at least, that all is well.  I'm ever hopeful that the CDs will be here late today, but it may be tomorrow.  Won't matter if it's tomorrow, as I'm out all day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2005, 09:23:22 AM »

Here is a funny factoid: Yesterday, I got up at eight-thirty, logged on to haineshisway.com to find forty-five posts.  Today I got up at eight-thirty, logged on to haineshisway.com to find forty-five posts.  

Here is a not funny factoid:  No posts since my last post.  Where in tarnation IS everyone, and why are the people who ARE here just sitting there like so much fish?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2005, 09:24:12 AM »

Question for BK and all:  What kind of wall calanders have you had up this year?  Where do you hang them?  Do you go for something decorative, functional or just fun?

I have a Futurama calender in my office at work.  I used to have a Playbill calendar, but for some reason, I didn't get one this year.  I also have a Get Fuzzy scratch-a-day desk calender.  My favorite. ;D I also go to the GET FUZZY homepage (caution...lots of pop-ups!!) and read every one that's current.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2005, 09:24:25 AM »

Last Night's Amazing Race:

! ! ! ! !  BIG TIME SPOILER WARNING  ! ! ! ! !

Well, I actually reevaluated my feeling about some of the contestants.  I was sad to see the Gaughans go.  At the beginning, I couldn't stand them from the way they introduced themselves as the Incredible Family in the intros.  But while they never lived up to that, I've come to admire the way the parents always encouraged the kids and positively affirmed their involvement without ever condescending or acquiescing to them.  There's a strong healthy family structure there.

I agree. I think it was the same thing that turned me off in the beginning.  But I really love how they encouraged the kids.  Even though the kids obviously hampered which activities they could do.  Last night if they had been able to do the bananas, they probably would not have lost.

The Paolos look like they are getting their act together and there seems to be a lot less bickering (though it's possible that it's being edited out.)  They deservedly won this time through hard work alone.  But I find it a little sad that the mother seems to live for nothing but a little show of love from the oldest son.  

As i said, i'm also warming up to this family. Although i still don't think they are that good.

I still am rooting for the Linz family.  It's been frustrating to see them constantly come in second or third place every week.  

Well second or third is not too bad, considering they are just a bunch of kids running the race on their own. I do think this team has the most potential to win.  But they are not THAT good, which worries me.

I am just okay with the Bransens and the Goldowskis, and it because of the problem of having four people on each team.  I just can't tell any of the sisters apart.  Wally's girls seem to function as a single person (which is why I think they might win at this point.)  And the Goldowskis over-talk each other so much and so fast that I have no idea what causes their occasional flare ups.

And the Weavers--feh! I can't wait for them to go.

They are making me crazy!  And i agree with you about the bransen sisters. They do seem to be one person. I cannot tell them apart! (and that cannot be good).

It seems like each team has a weak player who cannot keep up with the others in physical tasks.  But without wally for example, i wonder if his daughters would get totally lost!  Although the previews make it look like daddy and girls are not getting along too well!

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2005, 09:25:18 AM »

DR MattH, I had no idea Veronica Mars was a repeat tonight. :(

Thanks for the warning.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2005, 09:29:29 AM »

TAR:

We loved the Gaghans, too.  As parents ourselves, we were very impressed with the parenting skills displayed--never, ever a cross word and only support for what the kids could do, rather than what they couldn't.  I can't for the life of me understand how anybody could have issues with this family.  They were a joy, IOHO.

Well I am one of the ones who disliked them quite a bit (until last week).

I think it was because they acted like they were perfect.  And it annoyed me.

I don't want to see Mr. and Mrs. Perfect with 2 little kids who think they are perfect.

But I think once they started not doing so well, it became more apparent to me that they just wanted to try their best.  And I did really like watching how they encouraged their kids.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2005, 09:31:03 AM »

Kudos to my buddies at the Storm Theatre (where LAST STARFIGHTER originated last season) for their truly excellent New York Times review today for THE SALVAGE SHOP

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2005/11/02/theater/reviews/02salv.html

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2005, 09:33:09 AM »

Re: calendars.

I've been checking out those for 2006 (i always buy mine at 50% off on Boxing Day).  

Does anyone else think that most of the calendars (especially the tv ones) are horribly done.  I would love to have a DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES calendar.  But what they did was so unattractive.  I'd love to see group shots, or scenes from the show.  But instead they have solo photos which are not appealing (at least not to me).  I find many shows take this same uninteresting approach). :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2005, 09:35:11 AM »

I was very sad when the little girl was almost crying last night.  Yes they did try hard and yes they were very good parents.  And yes I am still glad that they are gone. ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2005, 09:37:09 AM »

...And it begs the question "Do they still make Glass Wax?"
Glass Wax was made by the Gold Seal Company.  They also made Snowy Bleach and Mr. Bubble.  But the company was sold in 1986, and I haven't yet found out to whom.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

I bet DR RODZINSKI has a 2006 Playbill Calendar!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up