Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THICK OF NOVEMBER  (Read 29346 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE THICK OF NOVEMBER
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:04:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been in the thick of the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the thick cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 12:06:54 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE THICK OF NOVEMBER
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:06:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUBJUGATE!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 01:27:55 AM »

BK, even worse than Friedkin's remake of The Wages of Fear, was his hubris at the time of Sorcerer's release.  I remember him on some talk show...Merv Griffin, I think...pontificating, saying: "Frankly,Merv, I was going for an instant classic."  Uh...?  Sorry, Billy, even if your talent matched your arrogance, there is no such thing as an "instant" classic.  Time makes classics.  Time has not made a classic of Sorcerer.

macchus

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 01:43:20 AM »

A belated thank you to those who extended me birthday greetings yesterday.  I didn't check any of yesterday's posts until just now.
When I was growing up, my mother initiated a tradition of applying Glass Wax on all the mirrors in the house, and writing "Happy Birthday Mark", adding my numerical age, with a circle around it.  Needless to say, this got more embarrassing the older I got, and was a constant reminder that I waited way too long to leave home.
And it begs the question "Do they still make Glass Wax?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:44:52 AM »

I'm up!  I went to bed at 9:30 p.m., and now I'm up.

And the reason:  I needed to take something for my "sensitivities"-that-aren't-allergies.

Anyway, it has been 5 minutes since I took an Allegra tablet.  I'm still half-asleep, sorta.  Won't have trouble going back to bed once the "works" are dried up a bit.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 03:46:48 AM »

I watched the remainder of the "'Roseanne' House of Horrors'" from Nick at Night I taped Halloween night.  They aired four more episodes which brought back some fun memories of the series' network run.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 03:49:06 AM »

I tried to watch "Commander in Chief" last night.

Is it just me?  Or, does the show seem a bit formulaic at this early juncture?

Way too much going on with the kids and the hubby.  And Donald Sutherland -- like a Dr. Smith on "Lost in Space" -- pursuing a devious/malicious path of self-interest at the expense of the President and the country.

I couldn't force myself to care beyond the 15-minute mark, despite Gina Davis's solid presence.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 03:54:07 AM »

Oh, Joy!  I found a LensCrafters coupon for 50% off lenses (when you buy frames) that's good until November 25.

I'll be wearing new specs by week's end!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 03:55:23 AM »

DR Jose: I was amazed by your remarks last night to DR Elmore3003 re: Chicago, a food court and a steak house.

Is there NOWHERE in the U.S. of A. that you don't know where to get great food????

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 03:57:12 AM »

My sinuses seem to have stabilized for now.  My eyelids are heavy and I'm ready for about 3 more hours of shut-eye.

G'night.  G'night.

I'll say g'night til it be bright.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 04:25:29 AM »

TOD

What was the name of the font you used for the deceit logo?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 04:34:47 AM »

More pics of the aftermath. The next 5 are across the way from me in the next development
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 04:35:08 AM »

Another
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 04:35:51 AM »

One More
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 04:36:28 AM »

This is the only real damage my apartment received
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 04:37:59 AM »

This is the same building but the apartment next to mine. I was lucky. The green awing was blown from the front of the building which was also several yards away from it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 04:39:19 AM »

The trees that were blown over were the ficus trees. I think they should be all cut down to lessen the any future damage they might cause. They are short rooted trees.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 05:51:13 AM »

Thanks for the photos DR MS.  Whew!  Very scary.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 05:51:50 AM »

Somebody put a bell on Mosby the cat.  Was it the mice?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 05:52:50 AM »

I am dancing with joy (but not with DR JOY) over the outcome of THE AMAZING RACE last night, although seeing one particular face made me a little sad that things turned out the way they did.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 05:55:04 AM »

My question for ASK BK day - do you have a favorite entry in the Universal series flicks:  FRANCIS THE TALKING MULE and MA AND PA KETTLE.

I like FRANCIS JOINS THE WACS and MA AND PA KETTLE GO TO TOWN.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 07:02:39 AM by JRand55 »

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 06:24:50 AM »

Re: Last night's AMAZING RACE

The team that lost was finally growing on me. :(

And I was sad to see Clarissa crying.

And guess what? The Paolo team is also totally growing on me.  Maybe it's because the bratty older son is now being nice (and hugging his mom all the time).  But I actually am really enjoying this team now.  I was very impressed with the father (garbageman).  That was incredible how he lifted the bananas.  I wonder which other teams would have been able to do that task (probably only the Linz family).

The next to go has to be the Weavers.  And I'm also not feeling the sisters.  But I agree, getting them out of the US has done wonders (plus now we know the teams much better).  The only thing I need is more difficult tasks.  Because last night it was simply not finding the red bean that did in the losing team!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 06:30:13 AM »

Last Night's Amazing Race:

! ! ! ! !  BIG TIME SPOILER WARNING  ! ! ! ! !

Well, I actually reevaluated my feeling about some of the contestants.  I was sad to see the Gaughans go.  At the beginning, I couldn't stand them from the way they introduced themselves as the Incredible Family in the intros.  But while they never lived up to that, I've come to admire the way the parents always encouraged the kids and positively affirmed their involvement without ever condescending or acquiescing to them.  There's a strong healthy family structure there.

The Paolos look like they are getting their act together and there seems to be a lot less bickering (though it's possible that it's being edited out.)  They deservedly won this time through hard work alone.  But I find it a little sad that the mother seems to live for nothing but a little show of love from the oldest son.  

I still am rooting for the Linz family.  It's been frustrating to see them constantly come in second or third place every week.  

I am just okay with the Bransens and the Goldowskis, and it because of the problem of having four people on each team.  I just can't tell any of the sisters apart.  Wally's girls seem to function as a single person (which is why I think they might win at this point.)  And the Goldowskis over-talk each other so much and so fast that I have no idea what causes their occasional flare ups.

And the Weavers--feh! I can't wait for them to go.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 06:34:43 AM »

Question for BK and all:  What kind of wall calanders have you had up this year?  Where do you hang them?  Do you go for something decorative, functional or just fun?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:35:02 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 06:47:36 AM »

Charles Pogue wrote:

MBarnum, did Tony Russell talk about doing dinner theatre with Kathyrn Crosby?  I believe he was playing her leading man when my friend Larry Drake was touring with her.  Didn't he come close to getting the Sergio Leone westerns that Clint Eastwood ultimately did?

Yes, Tony Russel talks about turning down Leone and instead doing a spy film in Egypt. He said that Eastwood hated making the Leone film, but of course I all turned out  good!

And he does also talk about touring with Kathryn Crosby, which he very much enjoyed. I have a couple of wonderful photos of him from that play to use for the interview.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 06:50:48 AM »

RE: TAR,

It was a good episode, but of course I was very,  very sad to see the Gahgan's get booted. I really liked them and to see little Clarissa's face at the end just broke my heart. I just thought they were such a neat family....not a mean streak in them...and very supportive of each other...and just having a fun, good time!

I also am starting to like the Paolo's, and disliking the Weavers!

And it is now getting to the point where it is easier to identify the various teams...when there are a lot of teams it can be difficult.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 06:52:42 AM »

My favortie FRANCIS film is FRANCIS AT WEST POINT because it has both Lori Nelson and William Reynolds....oh, and Gregg Palmer. But I of course enjoy FRANCIS JOINS THE WACs also.

My favorite Ma and Pa Kettle film is MA AND PA KETTLE ON OLD MCDONALD'S FARM with guest stars Gloria Talbott and John Smith.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:19 AM »

Another friend of mine who worked with Ms Crosby in PETER PAN here in Indy in the 1960's had nothing but kind words for her.  He said that she was wonderful to the kids - was very friendly with ALL of the people who worked on the show - and never turned down a radio, television, or newspaper interview to tout the show.

In the end, he decided she was not the BEST Peter Pan ever, but that it was great experience for everyone involved.

That being said - now I think she should shoot her plastic surgeon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:57:11 AM by JRand55 »

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:33 AM »

RE: calendars,

My mom always makes a family calendar with each month being a collage of new and old family photos...the majority of photos being for those with birthdays in that month.

For work I bought the LEAVE IT TO BEAVER calendar.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 06:55:57 AM »

And to put a fact to a lie - said person told me that Kathryn was not "stand-offish" or rude to Miss Frances Farmer when she appeared on her program - but enjoyed a nice conversation with her and they shared stories about Bing (although obvious comparisons were probably NOT made).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up