Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT  (Read 30608 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2006, 10:48:26 AM »

DR FJL - I'm also a major fan of The Baker's Wife.  And Rags too.  *I actually liked that chamber version that AJT mounted a couple of years ago with Ann Crumb and Crista Moore.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2006, 10:49:30 AM »

DR MBarnum - Good Furnace Vibes!

I'm hoping your Warm & Toasty again sooner rather then later.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2006, 10:51:43 AM »

The furnace is installed and the men are not putting in the thermostat.

Then they will work under the house and I can get ready to go to work as they will not need to get inside any more.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2006, 10:51:54 AM »

You can watch Lucy & Viv put in a shower....here:

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=309&format=tv&theme=zvue

But it seems to be a "colorized" version of the first season episode of The Lucy Show!  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2006, 10:52:17 AM »

As for Spamalot snagging the Grammy... Regardless of the quality of the show and/or of the recording, I knew the whole voting process and knowledge of the voting body was "off" the year that "Riverdance" won.  Need I say more?  Not to diminish the contributions and talents of those involved with any of the nommed recordings, it seems to be a matter of name recognition than anything else.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »

Page 8 dancing furnace

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2006, 10:55:41 AM »

They are now done and I shall take a shower and wing my way to work!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2006, 10:58:02 AM »

The furnace is installed and the men are not putting in the thermostat.

Then they will work under the house and I can get ready to go to work as they will not need to get inside any more.
why are they not putting in a thermostat?  ???
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2006, 10:59:18 AM »

Topic of the Day...

New York City, 1924

In particular, February 12 for Paul Whiteman's "Experiment in Modern Music" at Aeolian Hall, and the first performance of "Rhapsody in Blue" with Gershwin himself at the keyboard.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2006, 11:01:40 AM »

LOL....watch Part Two....and it's in glorious b/w!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »

Well... As an initial effort to "Stop the Madness", I'm going to get my hairs cut.  -It's a start.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2006, 11:03:07 AM »

TOD:  NYC in 1959...where I could see THE SOUND OF MUSIC, GYPSY, THE MUSIC MAN, WEST SIDE STORY (I think) and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

Word of the day....weren't there lots of teles in DR CP's HERCULES?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »

why are they not putting in a thermostat?  ???

Ummmm...did you skip a page, Deb?

;)

The furnace has to be "inspected" before they will fire it up.   Installers generally don't schedule inspections, and they often fail to mention it to homeowners...probably because they can never guarantee exactly when they'll be done with installation.

I'm just glad our MBarnum isn't having water heater problems...stepping out of a cold shower into a cold bathroom would be...well...rude.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:09:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2006, 11:12:18 AM »

But should the Show Album Grammy be about the quality of the music and lyrics, or about the audio representation of whatever the show is in performance and production, or is it a combination?   Or maybe something else?

If it's about the quality of music AND lyrics, I might have given it to HAIR over SPAMALOT, DRS, PIAZZA (where I love the music but find the lyrics less satisfying), or SPELLING BEE.

And as I've brown-nosed, er, I mean said, before, but seriously, I DO really mean it - if it's a combination of song quality and audio representation, or a total listening experience, Kritzerland's own AFTER THE BALL would have fit squarely above at least several of the nominated albums.  

But of the actual nominees, I think SPAMALOT most closely represents  and recalls/approximates the experience I had in the theater watching the show.  Maybe that's the quality the voters were looking for???

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2006, 11:13:25 AM »

I watched "Lust for Life" on DVD last night.  BK nailed the problems with this one...it's a crying shame that this film was not given a proper restoration...it's dreary looking...and it's primary glory is the gorgeous photography of F.A. Young at actual locations and shots of Van Gogh's art work.  That, and Rozsa's score.

Speaking of the latter, did you notice, BK, that there is a quote of the "Quo Vadis, Domine" theme in one scene?  It's at the point where several paintings are being shown, one of which is of a church or cathedral...and that's where the quote is...and then the score abruptly shifts into something light and staccato...very interesting.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »

But of the actual nominees, I think SPAMALOT most closely represents  and recalls/approximates the experience I had in the theater watching the show.  Maybe that's the quality the voters were looking for???

Who votes?  A specialized committee who know from quality in OBC recordings or the entire Grammy membership?

:D

If it's like the Oscars, I assure you not much thought other than name value (or sympathy vote) goes into the final voting since everybody votes on the nominees selected by a specialized committee (outside of Best Film, which is a category everyone participates in during the nomination process).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:18:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »

That is great news DR Jason!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

Lost --

SPOILER

SPOILER

First...Jose, I have to say I agree with you about that long commercial break...I was suprised to see that a good chunk of time was left before the hour was up.

After Sawyer's "There's a new sheriff in town" comment, I was torn between thinking "GOOD" and "SHOOT"....but the twist REALLY made me smile.  What a great turn of events...and Sawyer's "long con" was revealed with Charley's question about how he thinks of such things.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2006, 11:58:59 AM »

Back from LACC.

First off, everyone votes for the Grammys - there is no committee.  As long as the record label sends the discs in anyone can be "up" in the prelims.  Then people vote, and that makes the five.  Then everyone votes again.  The award is presumably for the best PRODUCED cast album, which is why it's really a producer's award.  Unless the show is original to CD (not a revival) the authors don't even get part of it (if my Hello, Dolly had won, I would have received the award, not Jerry Herman).  

The Riverdance year was fascinating, as, I believe it was the year of Rent.  It was also, if I remember correctly, the year of my The King and I, which, all modesty in check, I feel WAS the best "produced" CD that year.  We didn't even get nominated.  I knew Riverdance would win - it had just been all over PBS - didn't matter that it wasn't even a real cast album - it had the "name" factor.  With Spamalot, the "name" factor was simple - ERIC IDLE and the Pythons.  Winner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2006, 12:00:34 PM »

Oh, and I'd say that the majority of people who vote in the show album category have not heard the CD.

And I think I was wrong above - I do think the five nominees are chosen by committee.  And, just WHO that committee is is unknown to me.  One presumes that since we labels send our CDs to them, that they are required to listen.

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2006, 12:01:40 PM »

LAST NIGHT'S LOST SPOILERS

Lost --

SPOILER

SPOILER

First...Jose, I have to say I agree with you about that long commercial break...I was suprised to see that a good chunk of time was left before the hour was up.

After Sawyer's "There's a new sheriff in town" comment, I was torn between thinking "GOOD" and "SHOOT"....but the twist REALLY made me smile.  What a great turn of events...and Sawyer's "long con" was revealed with Charley's question about how he thinks of such things.

I didn't watch it on ABC so I didn't have that long commercial break.

But when you say "the twist really made me smile". Do you mean that Charley helped Sawyer to get back at Locke?

The show was definitely interesting. And I never once thought that Charley was involved (since they hardly showed him all show I'm guessing most people wouldn't have suspected him).

Re: Sawyer's prior life and the con.  Can someone clarify what happened at the end.  I remember him sending out his girlfriend with what looked to be a bag of money.  Then he went out to the car (which ended up being empty). Then he came back in and took the real money out from under the bed.

So obviously he never went to meet the girlfriend. But what are we to assume was in her bag?  And what was with him telling his partner he wouldn't do it (and the partner threatening to kill sawyer and gf).  Are we to assume that sawyer only agreed to con her because he was forced to do so? Since i'm assuming what was said at the diner was true (when sawyer said he wouldn't take her money) then why did sawyer tell the woman that the partner was in the car.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »

The workshop went very well today.  The kids are really bright, and very attentive, and I think they had fun, too.

We did the I Remember business.  First, I read them the lyric, and we discussed the song as a song, and as a song from a specific show sung by a specific character.  I then played the four versions of the song in a row, while they took notes.  First up was Bernadette, then Liz, then Dianne Reeves, then Theresa McCarthy.  It really was fascinating hearing them back to back.

FJL

« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »

The name changes to the show album category are sort of interesting.  From the Wikipedia:

The Grammy Award for Best Musical Show Album has been awarded since 1959. The award has had several minor name changes:

*   In 1959 the award was known as Best Original Cast Album (Broadway or TV)
*   In 1960 it was awarded as Best Broadway Show Album
*   In 1961 it was awarded as Best Show Album (Original Cast)
*   From 1962 to 1963 it was awarded as Best Original Cast Show Album
*   From 1964 to 1973 it was awarded as Best Score From an Original Cast Show Album
*   From 1974 to 1975 it was awarded as Best Score From the Original Cast Show Album
*   From 1976 to 1986 it was awarded as Best Cast Show Album
*   From 1987 to 1991 it was awarded as Best Musical Cast Show Album
*   Since 1992 it has been awarded as Best Musical Show Album

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2006, 12:18:22 PM »

I then told them I wanted to hear their comments first, and told them the names of each singer.  The comments were all well thought out, whether one agreed with them or not.  And I would say each singer had people for whom their version worked.  Just as example, one person found Bernadette's version very melancholy and a bit dark, found Liz's version very positive and warm (and that didn't work for this person), found Dianne's version to labored and jazzy, but liked Theresa McCarthy's best because it sort of fused the parts he'd liked about Liz and Bernadette.  

Another found Liz's version the one, because they felt it really catured the essence of the song and felt that the character who is singing it really came through - someone who has, just before the song starts, says in response to someone saying "But you haven't seen the sun in thirteen years," "don't pity me - I have my memories."  And Liz doesn't play the pity, which Bernadette does.  Bernadette's version is almost angry, and that's certainly a choice, but it doesn't work for me because it goes against the character who's singing it.

For me, Liz is the only one who makes the song not maudlin and yet who keeps its essential beauty and underlying sadness intact.  She's also the only one who's really playing the specificity of the word images.  Of course, having directed that performance, I'm partial to it, because we were very specifically trying to make it about the character who's singing it.

The Reeves version is fascinating in its own right - the slowest (by a minute - the others are all within seconds of each other), it does create an interesting atmosphere, and Miss Reeves certainly understands the song, but it's not really ABOUT the song with her - it's about her voice.  And it's not musical theater.

As for Miss McCarthy - she has a lovely voice, but I feel there's nothing there in terms of her and the song.  The person who liked her because it seemed she was using the best of Liz and Bernadette was spot on - that's exactly what it sounds like - like she had listened to both versions (more Liz than BP), and taken the phrasings she liked.  But, there's no heart, no soul, just a pretty voice singing words.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2006, 12:19:25 PM »

Until we actually  start singing in the class, I think I'll do more show and tell with CDs - listening to performances that I think really capture emotion and intent and understand words and colors - and then dissecting those performances to see why it's so.

FJL

« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2006, 12:32:01 PM »

On the subject of who votes for specific Grammy categories:  Seems that anyone who votes can vote for the four major categories, but they're only allowed to vote in eight of the other 31 "fields."  So they have to pick and choose which fields they want to vote in beyond the top four categories, I guess.  So does that mean that someone who votes in the Show Album category has to REALLY want to vote in that category, since they're allowed only eight out of 31 fields to vote in?  

From the Grammy website:

Submission
Recording Academy members and record companies enter recordings and music videos released during the eligibility year which they consider worthy of recognition in the GRAMMY Awards process.

Screening
Reviewing sessions by more than 150 experts in various fields are held to ensure that entered recordings meet specific qualifications and have been placed in appropriate fields such as Rock, R&B, Jazz, Country, Gospel, New Age, Rap, Classical and Latin, among others. The purpose of screenings is not to make artistic or technical judgments about the recordings, but rather to make sure that each entry is eligible and placed in its proper category.

Nominating
First-round ballots with lists of eligible recordings in all fields, except those voted on by special nominating committees, are sent to voting members who return their ballots to the independent accounting firm of Deloitte for tabulation. To help ensure the quality of the voting, members are directed to vote only in their fields of expertise; they may nominate in the four general categories (Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best New Artist) and in no more than nine out of 31 fields on their ballots.

Special Nominating
Committees In craft and other specialized categories, final nominations are determined by national nomination review committees comprised of voting members from all of The Academy's Chapter cities.

Final Voting
Lists of the finalists are sent to voting members with their second round ballots. The finalists determined by the special nominating committees are also included on these lists. In this final round, Recording Academy members may vote in the four general categories and in no more than eight of the 31 fields. Ballots again are tabulated in secrecy by the independent accounting firm, Deloitte.

Results
Results of members' voting are not known until the GRAMMY Awards presentation ceremony when names of the winners are delivered by Deloitte in sealed envelopes. GRAMMY Award winners are revealed during the GRAMMY Awards telecast.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »

LOL Vixmom! My typing with freezing cold....meant to type "the men are now installing the thermostat"

RLP, it is the gas meter that will go in after the inspection.

Yes, not having a water heater would be even worse!! At least if I get too frozen I can take a hot shower still, and warm up.

MBarnum

« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:25 PM »

JRand55, you will be pleased to know that THE LONG, LONG TRAILER releases on DVD on May 9th, along with some other Lucille Ball films.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »

Ummmm...did you skip a page, Deb?

;)

The furnace has to be "inspected" before they will fire it up.   Installers generally don't schedule inspections, and they often fail to mention it to homeowners...probably because they can never guarantee exactly when they'll be done with installation.

I'm just glad our MBarnum isn't having water heater problems...stepping out of a cold shower into a cold bathroom would be...well...rude.

I thought they would install everything and just not turn the gas on at the main until the inspector gave the "all clear".  If they won't put in the thermostat  until after the inspection poor Mike won't have heat until spring!  :(
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up