Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TERMS OF ENDEARMENT  (Read 33502 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2004, 01:35:29 PM »

What is a T of E?

Re:TERMS OF ENDEARMENT -
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2004, 01:37:16 PM »

Just looked at my intro again - it's just what I wrote with no mention of Miss Paige O'Hara.  I'm beginning to think Der Brucer needs some hot chocolate with a marshmallow or, in his case, marshMELLOW.

Emily

« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2004, 01:39:36 PM »

Thank you all for the hair suggestions... I think... :D

I am cuddled up in a blanket in my basement, cat en-lap, tea in one hand and linguistics textbook in the other.  What better way to spend a winter's day?

It is indeed very cold. Which is why I have not left my house today. I have decided that a 8:30 class (my only one), combined with a nasty, nasty cold and flu like symptons can allow me to stay home and catch up on my homework.

How strange that you were able to predict getting this "cold and/or flu" on Monday after hearing today's predicted weather report! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

I ate around 3 p.m. so it was definitely dinner, and I will not eat another meal today. May have a snack of popcorn or something in the early evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »

I did not get my answers right on the trivia quiz, so send in your guesses, folks!  :(

I feel so dumb not getting it, and I thought I was SO close!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:47:47 PM by Matt H. »

Jason

« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2004, 01:44:25 PM »

It's nearly 5:00 and I'm just now ordering lunch!! What am I, crazy??!! I'll be having a grilled chicken caesar salad. YUM!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2004, 01:46:16 PM »

Jason--I didnt' eat anything all day either until a half hour ago...a McChicken sandwich, strangely enough...something must have been written to put me in the mood for chicken!

Andrea--feel better soon, luv!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2004, 01:51:11 PM »

I would LOVE to send in an answer to the Trivia Question, but I didn't get anything right yet.  It is a Chinese Puzzle.   GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR JMK!

Is the composer of one of the musicals Mr Stephen Sondheim?

And speaking of Kosher - I had a good friend Deb whose first husband came into a rehearsal one evening and announced that he was Jesus Christ.  Deb look at him and told him he couldn't be Jesus Christ....and he said why not?  And Deb said:  "Because Jesus wouldn't eat a Big Mac!"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:52:32 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2004, 01:56:52 PM »

Paige O'Hara?  Whatever are you talking about?  I read through my intro last night, and unless something has changed it was fine with no mention of Miss O'Hara.  Direct these things to the board over there and RobD can figure out what in tarnation you are talking about because I have not a clue.  

Well, actually it is a reference in the bio area posted below the column - you sure make being a bitch difficult.

I have posted my nit-picking comment on the site per your request, so RobD can take the fall.

der Brucer (has BK taught RobD to lutz?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2004, 02:01:05 PM »

I hope you have your skates laced tightly MR BK.  Wouldn't want you to fall on your lutz.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2004, 02:06:42 PM »

You misunderstood me. DERBRUCER. I love sour cream. I just don't like it in Chicken Paprikas. Of course Hungarians have lots of sour cream around! We practically bathe in the stuff. I don't think it was a religious issue with us, DR Jane. We certainly didn't keep Kosher. It was more of, dare I say it, a class thing. It was considered (by my mother, at least - whose name btw was Agnes) a "peasant" way of cooking to add sour cream to Chicken Paprikas. We were sophisticated city folk.

As usual your story is very interesting.  I'm sure your way is much better for you than with the sour cream.

Jed

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2004, 02:07:07 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had fried chicken for lunch.  Damn this website of temptation! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Robin

« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2004, 02:07:31 PM »

I love terms of endearment...

When I call my boyfriend "darling" or "honey" in public, uptight straight folks get awful stiffbacked.  

By the way, it'll be great to have a deeveedee sight written by people who actually know something about what they're writing about!  What a concept!  Who woulda thunk it?   All of the deeveedee sights out there (that I know about, at least!) are good only for getting street dates for upcoming titles.  

And the message boards...well, forget it!  I will admit to liking the movie Freddy vs. Jason to a junky extent, but the idea that it's somehow a serious piece of art (to one extreme), or that it "RULZ" (to the other extreme), sentiments both of which I'd read on deeveedee message boards, is not only ludicrous, it's laughable.

May you and Mr. Redman have all the success in the world with this new endevor, and may it's influence and intelligence cross over to other, and already lesser, websites.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 02:08:50 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jed

« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2004, 02:10:05 PM »

All this lutz talk has planted The Student Prince in my head.  Instantly takes me back to summer 2000, playing Lucas, and shouting out with the rest of the students, "Lutz, Lutz, Lutz!"

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2004, 02:10:32 PM »

Thank you all for the hair suggestions... I think... :D

There are any number "looks" you might like to explore.  

If you can get your hair to your shoulders, you might want to try a nice shag cut.  These were really hot and popular in the late 60s-early 70s and I've missed them.

Whatever you do, DON'T get a buzz cut!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2004, 02:10:39 PM »

Oh, the BIO - I didn't even read that.  Blame Craig, not me.  Blame Canada, not me.  Blame it on Rio, put the blame on Mame, blame it on the Bossa Nova but don't blame me.  Darling.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2004, 02:12:50 PM »

I ate around 3 p.m. so it was definitely dinner, and I will not eat another meal today. May have a snack of popcorn or something in the early evening.

Wow!  You're a stronger man than I, Gunga Din!

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »

I'm trying to stay under 200 pounds, but it's a mighty struggle, I must admit. I like all the wrong things for making that easy.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2004, 02:22:22 PM »

I did finally get registered and later posted over at the new DVD site. Hope others will do the same.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »

I feel extremely gratified to have stumped the bottomless well of knowledge that is HHW.  Here are the answers:

The musical:  House of Flowers
The legendary star:  Pearl Bailey (don't quibble, darling, she was a legend in at least her own mind), who would go on to star in Hello, Dolly!, which made history by being the first then-currently running musical to continue its run with an all-black cast
Supporting Cast #1:  Ray Walston, who left this show for his Tony turn in Damn Yankees
Supporting Cast #2:  Diahann Carroll, who won her Tony for No Strings,  a show with unusual elements including:  1) an interracial romance; 2) lyrics by Richard Rodgers; 3) orchestra with no strings; 4) orchestra onstage
Supporting Cast #3:  Geoffrey Holder, who won his Tony (directing) for The Wiz, which like the Dolly! recasting was an all-black musical (and also, stretching a bit, based on an all-white musical, though that was a film).
TV Credits:  Walston in My Favorite Martian; Carroll in Julia; Holder in 7Up commercials

Yes, I have entirely too much time on my hands today.  I've tried washing it off, but it's stuck (not in SF).

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2004, 02:32:19 PM »

Geoffrey Holder won a Tony for the costumes he designed for THE WIZ, also.

Tomovoz

« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2004, 02:35:11 PM »

Thanks JMK. Too early for me to even research. interesting question but there is no way I would have come with an answer with a WIZ connection. One of my least favourite musicals. I don't think we ever had "Julia" on OZ TV and certainly never 7-up commercials.  I don't think 7-up could make the grade here - much as "Whitmans" were doomed to failure in the Chocolate world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2004, 02:37:01 PM »

Well done, JMK, you did stump us all.  I looked at House of Flowers, but didn't recognize Holder's name.  I bow to your superior (this time :)) trivial mind!

Tomovoz

« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2004, 02:38:07 PM »

And speaking of Chocolate, I notice that chocoholic DR Jose is on the board. A man who has sampled the delights of OZ chocolate and probably knows why we have not much interest in Hershy (sp) and Whitmans here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2004, 02:39:57 PM »

And DR Ann of the Hawaiian Rain storms fame is also with us again.
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2004, 02:41:16 PM »

Geoffrey Holder, who won his Tony (directing) for The Wiz, which like the Dolly! recasting was an all-black musical (and also, stretching a bit, based on an all-white musical, though that was a film).

Also, 1957 Holder acted in an all-black production of "Waiting for Godot" and In 1978 he directed and choreographed the lavish Broadway musical "Timbuktu!" (Which had one of my favorites: Eatha Kitt! I remember high school days spinning the 45 and hearing her growl:

"I wanta be evil, I wanta drink booze, and whatever I have, I'm willing to loose..."

der Brucer (PS Timbuktu was worth the price of admission just to see Holder's visuals!)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2004, 02:41:40 PM »

Very good, JMK,.  I figured it had to be Pearl Bailey in the all-black cast of Dolly, but that is as far I got with your puzzle.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2004, 02:42:38 PM »

Honey, I'm home!  (addressed to the general HHW population)
Home, and freezing my buns off at the moment.  This apartment hasn't been heated for the last two weeks...and it's mighty cold at the moment.
Got stranded (not stuck :)) in San Francisco for a few hours, but managed to make it out of there and back in the chilly northwest by 2.  Loads of posts to catch up on...I will tonight, I promise.
Oh, terms of endearment...I use "hon" and "sweetie" with female friends of mine.  Male friends don't usually get endearing terms...not even when I had a boyfriend.  His terms for me were usually "love" or "angel"

Jed

« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2004, 02:45:41 PM »

Oh, terms of endearment...I use "hon" and "sweetie" with female friends of mine.  Male friends don't usually get endearing terms...

Nonsense!  You call me "jackass" all the time! :D

DERBRUCER

« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2004, 02:48:07 PM »

And speaking of Kosher - I had a good friend Deb whose first husband came into a rehearsal one evening and announced that he was Jesus Christ.  Deb look at him and told him he couldn't be Jesus Christ....and he said why not?  And Deb said:  "Because Jesus wouldn't eat a Big Mac!"

I had an Ultra-Reformed Jewish friend whose version of keeping Kosher was to make sure the butter was on the cheese side of his Ham and Cheese on Rye.

der Brucer (wondering if Jesus eats at Burger King)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up