Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH  (Read 31701 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »

Does Elliott have all American good looks? Nope, but for some unfair reason, I think they seem to have different standards for the guys than for the girls. You can be overweight (Ruben) or not, and they won't make a comment. But some of them think nothing of singling out girls who don't conform to some standard (in their own minds) of looks. That's one of the things that really bothers me about them (particularly Simon).

I also get very angry over their harping about making "safe" choices. If those songs are no worthy of being sung, take them off the list of potential songs. If the songs are there, they should be available for singing without the artists being fearful of being accused of playing it safe. The point is to show their voices in their many colors and through many emotions. Not many songs out there can do all of them within one song. Rather, we get that from a range of performances over many weeks. There is nothing safe about the song "Lady" if you don't have the voice to sing it in the first place. And if you do have the voice, there's nothing wrong with it as a choice for a particular week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2006, 02:01:20 PM »

I've been trying to make labels for some DVDs I've recorded these past months, but nothing comes out the way I want it to look.  I need more practice in digital arts.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

Page Eight Cookie Dance!!!

(A character from one of Disney's more forgettable animated features, ATLANTIS.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2006, 02:04:46 PM »

And then there's this guy, who's about as bland as they come, IMO....and Elliott looks every bit as good, if not more interesting, to me.  Certainly, Elliot has a better vocal delivery/range.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2006, 02:04:56 PM »

For the longest time, I got Chris and Elliot confused because they both look alike physically...and they're not far apart facially, either.

They also wore close-cropped beards that wrapped around their jaw lines. I believe Chris had shaved his off last night.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:03 PM »

And then, there is Chris Elliot:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2006, 02:07:24 PM »

Back from a really good and interesting musical theater workshop (MTW).  We discussed the duets situation and I gave them all your suggestions.  I then asked certain people to sing their songs again, after having had time to digest the notes that were given, and what a difference.  Suddenly we had some self-assurance where there had been quaking nervousness - one girl got up, took the stage and never let it go, singing Astonishing from Little Women.  No, she doesn't have the best voice I've ever heard, but she "got" the song and delivered the song and it was like watching a different girl.  Tammy's Little Lamb was much more real and therefore much more affecting.  Her friend Lauren's I Will Be Loved Tonight suddenly became a song of joy rather than depression or anger and it was like hearing a new number.  A couple of the guys were 100% better than before.

I then picked up some packages and even got a few more DVDs, including a three DVD set of Soupy Sales for ten bucks.  Also, some region 2 stuff arrived, including The Barbarian and The Geisha, Bigger Than Life, Miracle in Milan and a couple of others that aren't available in region 1.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2006, 02:08:16 PM »

OH!

I didn't realize that both Elliott and Chris both have Richmond (VA) roots.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch is running an "AI Blog"... Here's the first entry...  And it's about Elliot's style and styling...

The Elliott Look
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2006, 02:09:31 PM »

And then, there is Chris Elliot:

And he's not even a singer!!!  :D

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »

I hope you are feeling better today Dan !

I am slip slidin' away!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2006, 02:11:14 PM »

I have to say that Elliott's jazz interlude last night was my favorite performance of the evening and so different from anything I've ever heard on IDOL that I was captivated. And beneath it you can tell he has a really strong voice, pure tone and is capable of lots of moods with it. I am hopeful he stays in so we can hear more of what he has to offer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 02:12:07 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2006, 02:12:07 PM »

Also got Second Act Trouble after a lot of trouble with amazon.  Short story version: My preorder was still sitting there unshipped on Monday, after everyone else had gotten there copies.  I cancelled the order and put one day shipping (cheap for amazon prime members) for the new copy.  They attempted to charge my card, but had a hiccup (on their end, not mine - no prob with my card).  They sent me an e-mail asking me to retry the card, which I told them to do.  On Tuesday afternoon it still hadn't shipped, and I called and they told me they'd retried the card, it had gone through and that the book would ship and I'd have it yesterday.  Yesterday, it still hadn't shipped.  I called and this time the gal refunded my money and canceled out the order and put in a new one for free - that shipped and arrived today.  So, I got the book for free.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »

Also got Second Act Trouble after a lot of trouble with amazon.  Short story version: My preorder was still sitting there unshipped on Monday, after everyone else had gotten there copies.  I cancelled the order and put one day shipping (cheap for amazon prime members) for the new copy.  They attempted to charge my card, but had a hiccup (on their end, not mine - no prob with my card).  They sent me an e-mail asking me to retry the card, which I told them to do.  On Tuesday afternoon it still hadn't shipped, and I called and they told me they'd retried the card, it had gone through and that the book would ship and I'd have it yesterday.  Yesterday, it still hadn't shipped.  I called and this time the gal refunded my money and canceled out the order and put in a new one for free - that shipped and arrived today.  So, I got the book for free.

They can be very generous when they've made an obvious series of mistakes. I ordered an I LOVE LADY set, and after delays, I got three single discs of THE LUCY SHOW. I sent them a note about the error, and they credited my account for the full amount, let me keep THE LUCY SHOWs, and sent the I LOVE LUCY set gratis.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2006, 02:14:51 PM »

Here's a photo 'essay' from the Times-Dispatch article:

Elliott as himself - Elliott as Justin Guarini - Elliott as Chris Daughtry - Elliott as Ace Young

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2006, 02:16:07 PM »

Was Elliott the one last night who was so impressed with meeting Justin Guarini. No, it was probably one of the younger contestants.

Anyway, I think Ace and Chris are his main competition on the male side.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2006, 02:17:37 PM »

And all the men are going to have to face down with Paris, Lisa, and Mandisa from the female side. I would be very surprised if one of them doesn't make it to the finals.

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2006, 02:20:25 PM »

I didn't think I'd be back until after dinner at home, because I left here a little after 4 to attend a sparkling 35th anniversary event at a local nonprofit agency.  They are downtown, but far enough away from where I work and park that I wanted to move my car over there.  After trying for half an hour to find a safe-looking parking space, I gave up and came back to work until the official end of my workday at 6pm.  And the Dayton city geniuses wonder why people won't come downtown?

Anyway, here I am, with no bosses around.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »

But, seriously, the head of SETC, Betsey Baun, was all set to fly me down tonight if needed.  She's the best!

DR Jose - is that the conference where DR Jason is representing his company?  Sorry you weren't whisked away to the sunshine.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2006, 02:31:35 PM »

After reading bk's description of the Dick Cavett set, I went to read another review on another site today and learned that Lucille Ball is on this set when Cavett interviewed her during her publicity tour for Lucy/MAME.

bk, you MUST tell us some of her comments about the making of this classic misfire.

(I am ordering this set myself today.)

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2006, 02:40:53 PM »

Heading down now to clean my bedroom and then settle in for some TV watching tonight. Not nearly as crowded a line-up as the last few nights (which pleases me mightily).

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »

Whew am I tired!!! I decided to go ahead and take the day off and move the rest of my stuff. I wanted to do it Saturday but the weather prediction is rain/snow/sleet and having to do something I'm totally dreading in that weather...well forget about it.

So it took 3 trips with the Prius stuffed to the gills. Thank god I have the hatchback, or I'm not sure I could have gotten this done.  Now I can go over and clean this weekend while the handyman does a little fix it job. Then it will be time to let my realtor see it and get it on the market.  My realtor wanted me to leave some furniture, but I didn't want to. Now he's laughing because I told him he can't see it until everything is out and I have the place cleaned and ready to go.

Now, omg I have to put away ALL THAT STUFF!!!!  

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »

Better go - I have to get my butt to a surprise birthday gathering. I'm not big on these things when I'm tired, but she made it to my birthday so I really have to go to hers...laters

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #232 on: March 02, 2006, 02:55:38 PM »

Got the news that I was not cast in the NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY gig I auditioned for last Saturday - they "went another direction" - which was Non-Equity. The only people there at the audition were four women (including moi) for the Mother/et al roles, and four men for the serial killer. I was the only Actors Equity member there - the other seven were non-Union. The other two parts had already been cast with Equity actors. Small theater, limited budget - required to cast at least half with Union actors. They did that.

I think they went with the 45-ish actress who wowed us all - I really did feel I was a close second to her - and they save about $3500, which is usually a life-saver for a small theater. I don't feel bad about it - the producer called and said they like me a lot, and want me to come down and do "something else" if I would be so kind.

Plus - and this is a big plus - the gig runs April 4-June 4, seven shows a week, 2 shows on Saturdays and Sundays. So Saturday, May 20, they play 2 shows. And Saturday, May 20, is my sister Tami's only child's wedding, at which I am supposed to sing and kvell. I woulda missed it, to do the performances. Now I don't gotta. So maybe I'll try to sell 'em JEWISH THIGHS for next season?
PennyO

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #233 on: March 02, 2006, 03:29:30 PM »

And all the men are going to have to face down with Paris, Lisa, and Mandisa from the female side. I would be very surprised if one of them doesn't make it to the finals.

After Tuesday night, I'd agree that Mandisa and Kellie are stiff competition.

Lisa's in there, too....but I'm thinking Paris is going to out-cutesy America to death if she's not careful.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

By the way, the word on the Idol blogs is that Elliott wears an insulin pump and has had juvenile diabetes since he was 5.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2006, 03:56:20 PM »

DR Jose - is that the conference where DR Jason is representing his company?  Sorry you weren't whisked away to the sunshine.

Yep, one in the same.  And I've played for this conference/auditions for the past 15 years.  However, whenever the conference has been held in Florida, I always seem to miss it - Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville, and now Orlando again.  Guess someone is trying to tell me something.

I don't feel bad about not heading down there tomorrow, it really is the thought that counts.  -Apparently, the auditioning companies miss me too.  :)

*However, the extra cash would have come in handy right now too.  I even had some companies call me over the past few days asking if I would be available to play their callbacks at the conference.  Thankfully, Lestat payroll kicks in in two weeks.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: March 02, 2006, 03:58:17 PM »

DR PennyO - On to bigger and better things!

*I almost thought you were proposing performing Jewish Thighs at your niece's wedding.  -Now would that be something?!?!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: March 02, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »

LOL, boy am I out of it....I went to the surprise party and boy was I surprised....it's next week...LOL I can't believe that I did that.

And I checked my email. The client set for a plea tomorrow has now decided to go to trial. So, at least things are interesting.....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #238 on: March 02, 2006, 04:09:24 PM »

Well, the various film versions of TEN LITTLE INDIANS/AND THEN THERE WERE NONE aren't as good as her novel because they're all based on Christie's play version, not on the original novel.

It's funny that of the four filmed versions of the play, each one got successively worse. The final one with Frank Stallone is practically unwatchable and makes no sense.

Did you count in the Bollywood version?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: March 02, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »

At least I'll be home for the Skating with the Celebrities final. They are doing their free skate part of the program tonight
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up