Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH  (Read 31018 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now with it and happening, and now it is time for you to post until the perfectly perfect cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:39:58 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PERFECTLY PERFECT MARCH
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:19:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: SANCTIMONIOUS!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:37:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I got carried away checking out the video-blog's of Lestat over on Playbill.com and Broadway.com.  Fun stuff.  *I actually like the ones over on Broadway.com which include "A Star Diary" with the very lovable and adorable Hugh Panaro.  -So that's why we had to stay out of the rehearsal room.  ;)

In any case, they're worth checking out, imho.  -And it's kind of nice to see how everyone is acknowledging all the changes and work that is being done on the show after it's trial-by-fire-run in San Francisco.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:49:05 AM »

TOTD.. Carousel's "If I Loved You"

More later.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:54 AM »

Ah, Duets!

Well... Off the top of my head...

"The Tennis Song", "What You Don't Know About Women", "You're Nothing Without Me" - City of Angels

"A Man", "Worth It" (which is not published, but worth searching out) - Weird Romance

"What Could Be Better Than That", "Two People In Love", "With You", "And What If We Had Loved Like That" - Baby

-Actually, the Maltby & Shire canon is filled with wonderful duets, my favorite being, "It's Never That Easy/I've Been Here Before" from Closer Than Ever.

"Two Lost Souls" - Damn Yankees

"People Will Say We're In Love" - Oklahoma

"We Kiss In A Shadow", "I Have Dreamed" - The King & I - even though both songs works as solos.

"I'll Make Her Mine" - On the Twentieth Century"

"There's Always A Woman" - Anyone Can Whistle

"If Momma Was Married" - Gypsy

"For Good" - Wicked

"What Would I Do?" - Falsettos

"Love Song", "On the Right Track" - Pippin

"You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through" - the double-duet from Follies

"I Know Him So Well", "No Contest" - Chess

"Forever Yours" - Once On This Island

And...  Well, I think that's a good start for now...

:)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:52:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 01:00:29 AM »

OH!

"A Stud and A Babe" - I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change

"Pretty Women" - Sweeney Todd - And I guess I would also include the whole "Kiss Me" sequence since it's also sort of like a double-duet at the end.

"Beautiful", "Move On" - Sunday in the Park with George

*Oh... Which reminds me... When I did Sunday at Arena Stage back in 1997 - wow almost 10 years ago already! - we transposed "No Life", I believe, up a key.  Which we eventually discovered was the original key - we had come across the original manuscript for it.  Also, the "intro" for the song then made sense going into the song proper since the triplet figure in the treble and the moving bass line resolved "properly" in the "new/old" key.

-Interesting the things that come to one's mind during the wee hours of the morning.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 01:01:34 AM »

And since it is the wee hours of the morning - at least here on the East Coast...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 01:03:22 AM »

~~~~SAFE COMMUTE VIBES~~~~
~~~~FOR THOSE DRS DEALING WITH SNOW~~~~
~~~~THIS MORNING (AND AFTERNOON)~~~~

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 01:04:22 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 04:55:57 AM »

tod

Our Private World----On The 20th Century
Make Believe---Show Boat

I am sure there are others
Never stop dreaming.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 06:24:36 AM »

Morning!

I'm off to my first day (sort of) at my new job as the Assistant to the Casting Directors of Dave Clemmons Casting!!

:D
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:29:08 AM »

Wow, Joy, that's great! Sounds like you got the big job you were hoping for. Congrats!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 06:30:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm sitting here waiting for this storm to hit the City.  I will stay in and work on my various and sundry projects, from Toyland to Ziemba.

TOD:  My new favorite, because I never heard it until last August, is the final duet "We've Just Begun" from THE GOLDEN APPLE.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:02 AM »

DR JOSE has made some good duet choices!

I will add:

Tonight from West Side Story
Barcelona from Company
I'm Past My Prime from Li'l Abner
There Once Was Man from The Pajama Game
You're Just In Love from Call Me Madam
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:46 AM »

New job vibes for DRJOY!  Finding actors for jobs and vice versa!  What could be better?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 06:39:03 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - yes, they are.  Expect the unexpected and mangled plans for about 2 1/2 weeks more.....by the 18th everything will have settled down.

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 07:19:30 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ - yes, they are.  Expect the unexpected and mangled plans for about 2 1/2 weeks more.....by the 18th everything will have settled down.

I knew it!!! Things were just too universally screwy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 07:32:57 AM »

DR Joy, that's great news on the job!

DR Jose, bubbeleh, you were a boob to leave the City; the storm has begun and the snow (yes, DR Danise!) is beautiful, falling rapidly in big clumps.

So I have the laundry in the washers and I'm settling in for the duration.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 07:41:20 AM »

The death of Jack Wild at 53 came as something of a shock, possibly becuase his career was at its peak when he was a kid, in OLIVER, HR PUFNSTUF and FLIGHT OF THE DOVES (which I saw over and over), so my mental picture of him tended to be of him as a youngster whenever his name came up.  Sad news indeed.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!

DR Joy - Congratulations on the new (dream?) job!

TOD -
From The Fantasticks:  
"Soon It's Gonna Rain"
"I Can See It"
"Plant a Radish"

From I Do, I Do:  
"Love Isn't Everything"
"Nobody's Perfect"
"When the Kids Get Married"

From The Unsinkable Molly Brown:
"Dolce Far Niente"

From Flower Drum Song:
"Sunday (Sweet Sunday)"

From 1776:
"Till Then"
"Yours, Yours, Yours"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »

The death of Jack Wild at 53 came as something of a shock, possibly becuase his career was at its peak when he was a kid, in OLIVER, HR PUFNSTUF and FLIGHT OF THE DOVES (which I saw over and over), so my mental picture of him tended to be of him as a youngster whenever his name came up.  Sad news indeed.

Yes, I think he had suffered from cancer for a few years.  I remember an interview awhile back.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:46:44 AM by JRand55 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 07:49:03 AM »

Well...to continue the game show response comments from yesterday....again on the original HOLLYWOOD SQUARES:

Peter Marshall:  Paul, on his birthday, the nuns give the Pope something special, something that we all want on our birthday.  What do they give him?

Paul Lynde: (beat)  Johnny Olsen, tell the Pope what he gets!  ;D

Sanctimonious!  No snow here.  Temps in the 40's!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:49:27 AM by JRand55 »

Ben

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 07:50:09 AM »

Here's a link to a Jack Wild obit. He had oral cancer and had surgery which prevented him from speaking afterwards. It goes into more detail in the obit.

Jack Wild

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 07:50:20 AM »

DR Jane:  Apologies for leaving in the middle of the discussion last night.

I shut down my work computer and left for home.  Once there, I just didn't log on at all.  Had other things to tend to...beans to snap and cook; strawberries to hull, cut up and sugar; and mail to read...lots and lots of mail.   And before I knew it, "American Idol" was on....and etc., etc. and so forth.

Now, given something that DR Jennifer has added, I'll conjecture (also given your comment about the kid being fired):

We heard quite a bit of stuff.  First, I am under the impression that the boy and the employer (his birth mother) were in some sort of relationship...whether it was ever consummated wasn't alluded to, but I took it that he was infatuated with the boss lady and she had to fire him.  Then, as Jennifer pointed out, the doctor followed her son to the workplace and grabbed her son (from the evil clutches of the "other woman"?????), and recognized the boss as her son's mother.  And the boss, as the overly (and suspiciously) hysterical doctor drove away, suddenly realized the truth...and ran after them shouting, "He's mine!  He's mine!"

I don't have a problem with a locked door because the kid had to have a key.  The boss was in the workplace when she was killed and would not have had the alarm activated.

The idea that the birth mother was too "out of it" to remember the doctor is based on the doctor's story...and she was justifying her actions at the time she kidnapped the baby...which means she probably overstated the truth to a considerable degree.  The birth mother was not able to defend herself.  So...

That's my story (this morning) and I'm sticking to it (for the next couple of hours, since I'm going to a seminar soon).

Re: The vet and those tests (if any).  I haven't known a vet who could see an animal and run tests conclusive of anything in one day.  I'm not saying they don't exist...my doctor can do some basic blood tests in one day.  But, my vet always sent Miss Vickie's blood out....it was always "next day" at earliest.

Still, I know nothing about veterinary practices...perhaps just a superficial examination was all the doctor needed to learn the things he told the father????
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:51:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 07:51:01 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... The repair man has been here for about an hour and a half so far...  Since the repair involved the thermostat, he's been having to cycle the heat pump on and off.  In other words... Lots of waiting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53:40 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... The repair man has been here for about an hour and a half so far...  Since the repair involved the thermostat, he's been having to cycle the heat pump on and off.  In other words... Lots of waiting.

And how "cycled" has your heat been during the process?

Or isn't this one of "those" repairmen???
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53:44 AM »

DR Joy, that's great news on the job!

DR Jose, bubbeleh, you were a boob to leave the City; the storm has begun and the snow (yes, DR Danise!) is beautiful, falling rapidly in big clumps.

So I have the laundry in the washers and I'm settling in for the duration.

Trust me, once I heard the forecast, I did consider holding off my trip back down to DC until the weekend in order to be there for the snow today, but since I have to be back by Sunday.  Ah, well...

I'll have to check the Central Park websites for pics.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 07:56:03 AM »

And how "cycled" has your heat been during the process?

Or isn't this one of "those" repairmen???

Alas, he is not one of "those" repairmen.  Only in the movies...

...in DR elmore's VCR.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 07:58:23 AM »

DR Joy - Cool!  You're back at Clemmons.  Be sure to give my best to Dave, Rachel and Sara!  -Is Jeff still there?  If so, why hasn't he called me for any work?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:32 AM »

Re  "American Idol"

SPOILER???

I thought last night's stellar performer was Elliot Yamin, followed closely by Chris Daughtry.  I don't give a damn what Simon thinks about their song choices, Elliot's voice, range and incredible ability to sing words clearly and audibly regardless of where they fall on the clef...not to mention his emotional interpretations...are unbelievable.  It's like he doesn't truly belong on this "amateur" show!

Chris was terrific, too, and he totally blew me away with that "now sound."  It's because he, unlike most singers in the top 10 today, can "actually" sing!  But he does not have the range or vocal quality of Elliot.

Ace was good, and I agree with MattH that Will was pretty darned terrific, too.  Gedeon actually surprised me last night.  I'm usually turned off by his egocentric comments (especially in light of some much better vocalists in the competition who are genuinely modest), but his singing was quite good.

I have had more than enough of Taylor Hicks, thank-you-very-much-now-let's-move-on.  I agree that David disappointed, but I fear we may be stuck with him for a while because he has those looks and that smile that will have teenaged girls voting multiple times for him.  Unless, of course, they don't dig his crooning, chum.  And I'm so OVER his style.  He has gotten worse each time I've heard him.  

Sway and Bucky were okay.  Kevin was okay.  If we lost any of them, David or Taylor, I'd be fine with it.

I think the cream has risen to the top on both groups...and the rest are curdling away...for at least two more weeks, too, before they get down to six men and six women.

A miscalculation, I think, on the part of the Idol producers who must have thought it wouldn't be this clear at this juncture in their prolonged pre-Idol competition attack on the air waves.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:04:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 08:05:34 AM »

Last night we watched TRANSPORTER 2.  Keith kept saying “suspending disbelief”.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up