Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAGGADOCIO  (Read 35313 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BRAGGADOCIO
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2006, 11:07:34 AM »

Last night's Oscars:  I have always believed, despite just about everything else, that the "winners" were secret until the envelopes were opened.

What tipped me off that this has changed was the presentation of the original score awards.  First, the orchestra and Itzhak Perlman perform selections from the nominated scores in REVERSE order, ENDING with "Brokeback Mountain."  Then, there's the "not-so-obvious" choice of a Latina presenting the award -- FOR MUSIC SCORE.  Could they have TELEGRAPHED the winner any more obviously?

I thought that Ms. Hayek was chosen to present the award just so that the composer's name would not get mangled during the reading of the nominees.

*I still remember the years that "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" and "Les Miserables" were nommed for Tony's... All that attempted French.

;)

*And also since she portrayed an artist in Frida.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »

And who knows?  Maybe the order of the selections was pre-determined by the order of the montage?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »

...Sweeney Todd: The Reunion Concert - This will be a reunion of the Sondheim Celebration cast which starred Brian Stokes Mitchell and Christine Baranski.  -And I was one of the rehearsal pianists.  -Oh, and Hugh Panaro was Anthony in that production - I guess both of us may be taking a night off from Lestat next spring.  ;)
Hey, take the train down, share a compartment...

;D

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2006, 11:14:44 AM »

Hey, take the train down, share a compartment...

;D

::)

Umm... AEA and AFM... I don't see it working out.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »

Oh... We're now on Page Five!!!

Everybody...

"Take Five"

Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »

Oh, by the way, Salma Hayek is from Veracruz, Mexico.  Gustavo Santaolalla is Argentinian.  

Oh, by the way...they're BOTH Latin American.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:23:50 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »

I found the segment with Perlman to be an innovative way of presenting the musical score nominees.  .

Hardly "innovative" -- they did a similar presentation a  year or so back...was it also Perlman, or was it Yo Yo Ma?

Thank goodness we've moved beyond the Debbie Allen "choreography"...the all-time low point for me was seeing "Schindler's List" being "tapped" to.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:32:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2006, 11:32:16 AM »

The order in which the nominees were given showed Perlman to his best advantage, first primarily as a soloist and, as the suite progressed, more and more as a part of the orchestral whole.  I did not find the order odd at all.

Well...hmmm...let's see.  If you are knowledgeable about the nominated scores -- at all -- you'd know that the most intimate and solo-oriented of the group is the Santaolalla composition ("Brokeback Mountain")...written for guitar, actually...so...the theory that we went from something intimate (the orchestral "Munich") to something suitable to an orchestral whole ("Brokeback") is really QUITE odd.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2006, 11:33:14 AM »

DR Ron, Ms. Hayek and Mr. Santaolalla don't even come from the same continent.  Their backgrounds are quite different.  Lumping them together makes as much sense as uniting Ghandi and Mao Zedung because they were both Asian.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »

The suite began with an example of Dario Marianelli's score for Pride and Prejudice.  Munich was played third, after a bit of William's other score, Memoirs of a Geisha.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2006, 11:36:58 AM »

But which would you rather have?  Another seemingly pointless montage or a Debbie Allen dance-tacular?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2006, 11:39:57 AM »

But which would you rather have?  Another seemingly pointless montage or a Debbie Allen dance-tacular?

;D

More hysterical pissiness...PLEASE.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:41:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2006, 11:41:56 AM »

Jose, as long as you're here, maybe you could give your opinion as a musician: how well does music written for the guitar translate to the violin?  Aren't the techniques used in playing one quite different from the other?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2006, 11:44:56 AM »

Hardly "innovative" -- they did a similar presentation a  year or so back...was it also Perlman, or was it Yo Yo Ma?

Thank goodness we've moved beyond the Debbie Allen "choreography"...the all-time low point for me was seeing "Schindler's List" being "tapped" to.

One of the many choreographical Oscar low points was the year they swiped Tommy Tune's concept for "Doin' The Production Code" as a tap number to explain the Academy's voting rules.  And as I recall, the Emmy Awards did the very same thing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaīs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »

Time for me to head off to work.  Take care, everyone.

Danise

« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2006, 11:49:54 AM »

Hope you have an easy day of it, DR  S Woody White!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2006, 11:58:24 AM »

How are u feeling today, DR Danise?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaīs Nin

Danise

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2006, 12:01:17 PM »

Very well, thank you., DR Dan (the Man), I'm just sorry that my lovely flowers are starting to die.  :'( :)

I'm bouncing in and out because I'm working on dubbing things over to DVD.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »

Does anyone here have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0?  

I bought it them off of Ebay and was told they were "new" but when they arrived, I didn't get the book that goes with it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2006, 12:16:48 PM »

Does anyone here have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0?  

I bought it them off of Ebay and was told they were "new" but when they arrived, I didn't get the book that goes with it.

Hmm...

I know that for Abode Photoshop Elements for Mac, the book that came with the software was very minimal.  Like most software nowadays, the manuals are on the set-up discs and/or accessible via on-line help menus.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »

More hysterical pissiness...PLEASE.

Am I gonna have to bring out the East German judge?

;)

-Does that "joke" even make sense anymore?
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2006, 12:25:31 PM »

Hmm...

I know that for Abode Photoshop Elements for Mac, the book that came with the software was very minimal.  Like most software nowadays, the manuals are on the set-up discs and/or accessible via on-line help menus.

Humm, I didn't think about that but the box in the store is so heavy and all I got was the disks.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »

Humm, I didn't think about that but the box in the store is so heavy and all I got was the disks.

Can you e-mail the seller and inquire about the manuals?  or check the original e-Bay listing for some fine print?
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2006, 12:31:30 PM »

I've already sent him an email this morning but haven't heard back.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »

And since I never give up a chance for the Classical Music Geek in me to come out...

Jose, as long as you're here, maybe you could give your opinion as a musician: how well does music written for the guitar translate to the violin?  Aren't the techniques used in playing one quite different from the other?

In the end, it's all just notes.

The Art of Transcription is a true musical art.  When it's done poorly, well, we find ourselves wishing for the original instrumentation.  However, when it's done well... It's always nice hearing something new, a new color, a new interpretation.

The Spanish and Spanish-influenced works of composers such as Albeniz, Villa-Lobos, de Falla and Ravel have been freely translated from one instrument to another - usually piano to guitar, but there have been a couple of instances of guitar to piano.  And since a lot of the piano works by Albeniz were influenced by guitar patterns and rhythms, a couple of those pieces sound more at home on the guitar in some cases.

And to sort of answer your query, there is a suite of Spanish songs by Manuel de Falla that started out originally for voice and piano.  However, they also exist in versions for voice and guitar.  Then there are some rather famous transcriptions of the suite for violin or cello solo with piano.

*Note: The original set of songs numbered seven, "Siete Canciones Populares Espaņolas", but when when Paul Kochanski worked with de Falla to form the "Suite populaire espagnole" for violin and piano, one of the songs was dropped from the suite.  Additionally, the order of the songs in the instrumental suite was/is left up to the performer.

However, even Bach freely borrowed from himself - adapting a violin concerto for a keyboard concerto - or even some other composer's melodies.  Mozart did the same thing with his Oboe Concerto which he transcribed for Flute just in a different key.  (The Flute Concerto is in D Major, the Oboe Concerto in C Major.)  Adding to this musicological situation is that both the Oboe and Second Flute Concertos - or Concerti, if you prefer - were not discovered until this century... And it was the D Major Flute Concerto that was discovered first.  So, when the parts for the Oboe Concerto were discovered, they realized that the Flute Concerto was just a re-working of the Oboe original.  -But that's another class.

;)

And I'd be remiss in not mentioning that many pieces originally written for one instrument did not become "famous" until they were "enlarged" by someone else.  The classic example of this is Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhbition" which was originally a set of piano pieces.  Nowadays, people are more familiar with Ravel's amazing orchestration/realization of Musssorgsky's "piano miniatures".

In conclusion:

Music is only Music when it comes off the Page and goes into the Air.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2006, 12:35:15 PM »

I've already sent him an email this morning but haven't heard back.  

Did what you received at least come in an "official" box?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »

Well, I've put on my sweats and running shoes, and I believe I'm gonna head out for a brief jog...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2006, 01:22:50 PM »

Back from errands, watching Oprah from the Oscar stage at the Kodak Theatre.  Have I mentioned that the daughter of one of my friends here is the production manager (not sure that's her exact title) at that venue?  Her mom is very proud of her.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2006, 01:26:40 PM »

Back from a pleasant lunch. It's turned out to be a beautiful day, and I walked around outside a little just to breathe the fresh air.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2006, 01:29:03 PM »

And back to the Wicked tour for a sec...

Yes, the producers have been very smart in regards to booking limited runs in each city.  The DC engagement sold out in seven hours!  Even the Company House Seats were extremely limited during the course of their run at the Kennedy Center.  Of course, I'm sure that Wicked will be returning for another "Limited Engagement" in the 2007-08 season.  -And the show is already booking return engagements to LA and Denver in the coming year.

Because of all those return engagements, they couldn't fit WICKED on the calendar here for next season.

We are getting, SPELLING BEE, SPAMALOT, DOUBT, and SCOUNDRELS, among others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up