Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAGGADOCIO  (Read 34410 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BRAGGADOCIO
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:32 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've gotten the braggadocio vibe, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're sulking because they didn't win any Oscars.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:06:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BRAGGADOCIO
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPLENDIFEROUS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 12:10:05 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:11:18 AM »

Which is a perfect description of all the postings yesterday!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:21:55 AM »

Well, I'm off to sleep.  I'll have to think about the topic of the day.  The only movies that I can think of right now are "Gypsy" and "1776," and I don't think that they count. ;)

Goodnight, everyone!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:22:51 AM »

And Happy Page 41 for Yesterday!!

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34:07 AM »

TOTD:
Her Majesty Mrs Brown
Prick Up Your Ears.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 03:13:22 AM »

Dang!  Somebody dumped iron filings in the sugar substitute again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:20:06 AM »

TOD: The Spirit of St. Louis (19570, with James Stewart as Charles A. Lindbergh.  Too bad the film was only nommed for special effects - Stewart was perfectly cast in this film.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 03:41:16 AM »

I need to step back a couple of days, since I've been basically E&T.

I hereby present my report on the current tour of Joseph and the Armadillo's Multi-Scaled Paint Coat.

It is what it is.

The house was packed, particularly with youngsters, all of whom had somehow conned their parents or other relatives into paying full price for the tix.  Or the parents or other relatives had thought this was a good way to get the youngsters into the theater.  Whatever, it was the right age-group for this show, which was written to be a cantata for a kid audience in the first place.

This particular production stars Patrick Cassidy as Joseph.  He has everything the lead needs for this part.  He has a very good voice.  He has a dazzling smile.  He has shaved his chest, worked out until he's nicely buff, and applied makeup to his body to make sure you see his six-pack.

No one else in the cast is as good-looking.  They don't have to be, because they mostly keep their clothes on.

The surprise of the show is Amy Adams, a former American Yodel contestant who was suggested for the part of the Narrator by the AY crew to this production's producers.  She has a very good theater voice, and a charming personality, even though she looks (as noted in a review in the Philly Inquirer) like Sharon Osborn.

The grandlads enjoyed the show very much.  As such, it wasn't such a waste for der Grampa to have bought them the tix.  And I got to spend a little quality time with the son-in-law, helping him navigate the streets and finding parking, so I didn't totally waste the day either.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 04:10:48 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 03:46:13 AM »

What am I doing up at this hour?  I need to get back to bed, I've got a work shift starting at 3:30 this afternoon!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 03:52:04 AM »

Yesterday, DRTPunk asked:

What the heck is growing out of Charlize Theron's shoulder!!??

It's a parrot.  It's a Monty Python parrot.  And the rest of the dress is just as dead.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 03:55:36 AM »

Going back a couple of days, DR George posted:

Oh...and they didn't have a "Daddy Johann Sebastian Brubeck."  There were only seven boys in the entire show!  They had a Mama Brubeck:

Mama started out in San Francisco
Tootin' on her trumpet loud and mean
Suddenly a voice said, "Go forth Mama,
Spread the picture on a wider screen."

It worked well enough for a high school production.

(and later)

And they changed the line:  "Hit the road Daddy, leave your common-law wife" to "Hit the road Mama, leave your worries and strife."

(plus)

I don't know if they got "official" permission to have a Mama Brubeck instead of a Daddy, but I'm sure the high school changed the line to reflect the change in gender.  And the new line isn't actually new.  When I was in Show Choir in high school (20+ years ago), we did the choral arrangement and it was censored edited so that it could be taken out of context of the show and the "worries and strife" line is in that choral arrangement.  They could very easily have just used that because it already exists and it works.

My bet is Dorothy Fields wrote the "worries" line change herself.  As for the gender bend, I believe she would have smiled and approved heartily.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 04:09:02 AM »

Before I head back to bed, don't anyone let me forget that der B has arranged for our tix to Shenandoah at the Ford's Theater, in DC.  I need to make sure of the date, and arrange for the day off at work.

The Ford's is where der B and I saw Children of Eden, and first met DR Jose in person.  We brought him roses.  He told us about a very nice French bistro across the street, where we happily dined.  We plan on dining there again.  Jose is being blamed, of course, correctly and with pleasure.

Meanwhile, der B caught sight of a poster for Wicked, which will be playing in Philly very soon.  On line, he has discovered that the only tix left for the very limited run are for restricted view seats - not acceptable, in our minds.  The promoters of Wicked are playing their cards quite correctly, by having the show play highly limited runs in each city, making tix almost impossible to acquire.  So much for a former poster's insistance that those of us outside of NYC should wait for the show to appear in our areas and not ask for a synopsis of the show (in otherwords, ask for spoilers).

Another trip to NYC may be in order.  Maybe in tandem with Lestat?

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 05:15:05 AM »

I'll post now because I doubt that I will be caught up with yesterday's posting for most of the day!

I watched a bit of the show yesterday and then went to the bedroom and read. We went to sleep around 10:30 and I didn't know of anything Oscar (other than George Clooney and Rachel Weiz (sp) until I awoke this morning.

Happy Monday to all and now I will try to catch up.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 05:17:36 AM »

I think both Tomovoz's bio pics are excellent choices.  I've always been fond of those Epic historical bios like Khartoum, Cromwell,  Lawrence of Arabia.  Lawrence notwithstanding, such films can sometimes be a little turgid; but I find them interesting history.  I'm also a sucker for those wildly inaccurate musical bios like Three Little Words, the "bio" of Ruby and Kalmar.

I'm sure there are more respectible, better bio films than some of those I've mentioned...but I'm drawing a blank right now.

FJL

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 05:37:52 AM »

The cows may not have won any Oscars, but at least the cowboys did.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 05:39:39 AM »

What a wonderful Oscar Bash at HHW!  

My favorite dress:  Hiya the Chinese girl's dress....she came on quite late, but it was lovely....with a black strapless fitted top with a deep heart bodice (subtly sequined) - and a reembroidered lace full skirt to the floor....or something like that!

Most speeches were fine, jokes were NOT, songs were NOT, montages were NOT -

I now have some DVD's to buy....some NOT available yet of course....GOODNIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, CRASH, WALK THE LINE, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 05:39:54 AM »

Favorite biopics (even though loads of liberties were taken):

Funny Girl
A Beautiful Mind
Silkwood
Amadeus
Norma Rae
Coal Miner's Daughter
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 05:41:26 AM by FJL »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 05:42:48 AM »

Hey All Everybody!

Feeling a mite hungover this morning from our late night revels.  Also, this is my first day back at the office in over a week, so I'm also kind of disoriented (as opposed to datoriented.)

I found two lovely packages awaiting for me at my desk:  one containing the much discussed SECOND ACT TROUBLE (which I didn't realize was a hardback), and another containing the MIRRORMASK DVD (a movie by comic book faves Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean), the JERSEY BOYS OCR, the CURIOUS GEORGE soundtrack (by a new fave of mine, Jack Jackson), and the Cleveland Orchestra ROMEO AND JULIET recording that DR Elmoore recommended a while back.  This should be a merry day of listening for me!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 05:43:05 AM »

I assume we are not talking ACCURATE biopics for the TOD, those are few and far between.

But I will choose:

Joseph E. Levine presents Carroll Baker as Harlow (as the billing reads) - only for Miss Baker and her valiant efforts to make something of nothing, and a couple of scenes that show what the movie COULD have been...and a couple of stills where she bears an uncanny resemblance to Jean Harlow...that makeup and hair and costume plot was abandoned.

Dirk Bogarde as Franz Lizst in SONG WITH END.

Charlton Heston & Sophia Loren in EL CID.

Susan Hayward as Jane Frohman in WITH A SONG IN MY HEART.

And....although I never thought I would say this....Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin in BEYOND THE SEA.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 05:43:25 AM »

Off to work at World of Wisdom, Molly comes home tomorrow.  Hurray!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 05:49:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late and enjoyed every moment of it.  I have a trip to the post office today, some forms to fill out, and some Toyland writing to do, so I shall work at home and enjoy myself with a few CDs and, perhaps, telephonic conversations.

Dear Friend BK, I would be happy to offer suggestions for your workshop, but I must admit I feel a bit vague on what the overall agenda of the class is:  audition scenes and songs, history, the declineand  fall of decent singing technique, dance?  I know they've had a song to do; are they going to work on scenes?

TOD:  AMADEUS
         PRICK UP YOUR EARS
         SEVEN LITTLE FOYS
         THE SCARLET EMPRESS
         THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE

I'm caught up now in this new history of the John Wilkes Booth conspiracy, MANHUNT, and I'd like to see a Lincoln bio.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 05:51:03 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 05:51:31 AM »

TOD:

Coal Miner's Daughter
Ray
Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Great Ziegfeld

Probably more.  I'm going to have to think on this.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 05:52:10 AM »

Love the coining of the word "noirishly" in the notes.  There should be all sorts of film terms based on this like noirishing, undernoirished, noirishment.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 06:40:48 AM »

I have not attempted to catch up to last night as of yet, I am sure I shall be dipping in and out all day.

I had a choice I could have possession of the TV or the computer but not both, sicen theyare in different rooms and Vixdad loathes award shows. I chose the TV

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2006, 06:44:08 AM »

A few thoughts before i see what all of youwere saying... moistly I thought everyone looked nice...no major fashion disasters although the dress withthe big black bow would have gained alot by losing the bow.... (I cannot think of that actress' name now for the life of me... I know she won for  Monster a couple of years ago.......oh the little grey cells are simply not working!

I love the blue gown won by  (yes lost the name again, the latina actress who played the lesbian painter)

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 06:48:12 AM »

I loved Ben Stiller's "special effects" and Will Ferrell's and Steve Carrell's makeup  but I was disappointed with Jon Stewart.  I like him very much on the Daily Show and I felt like he was completely in over his head... a feeling he may have shared considering the opening video of "how I got the job"

Meryl Streep's & Lily Tomlin's introduction of Robert Altman made me laugh as well

vixmom

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 06:51:42 AM »

As for the "Best Song"  all I can say is were the voters on crack?  ONE lyric "Its hard out here for a pimp trying to get money to pay the rent" if you don't count (and I don't ) the incoherent mutterings of the bunch of male rappers

The ONLY good thing I could take from that win was the obvious shock and joy of the winners who clearly didn't think they had a chance to win

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 06:53:54 AM »

Since I failed to see any of the nominated movies up for Best Picture I can't speak to the choice there.

Or for that matter as to the winners of the other catergories except for best Animated picture, where I actually did see the nominees and my choice won!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up