Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED  (Read 25462 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »

Wow!  HHW now has a bigger band with more gigs!  A recording contract can only follow!

WE will hit the big time if we all act naturally!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

Things you learn from the movies:

#6.  It does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts: your enemies will wait patiently to attack you, one by one, by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »

Page 9 dance!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:37 PM »

#5.  Most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communications system of any invading alien society.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »

#4.  Should you decide to defuse a bomb, don't worry which wire to cut.  You will always choose the right one.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »

#3.  At least one of a pair of identical twins is born evil.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »

#2. Large, loft-style apartments in New York City are well within the price range of most people -- whether they are employed or not.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2006, 05:00:59 PM »

#1.  The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:01:21 PM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2006, 05:02:57 PM »

Here's a really long one! ;)

Politically Correct Little Red Riding Hood

There once was a young person named Little Red Riding Hood who lived on the edge of a large forest full of endangered owls and rare plants that would probably provide a cure for cancer if only someone took the time to study them.

Red Riding Hood lived with a nurture giver whom she sometimes referred to as "mother", although she didn't mean to imply by this term that she would have thought less of the person if a close biological link did not in fact exist. Nor did she intend to denigrate the equal value of nontraditional households, although she was sorry if this was the impression conveyed.

One day her mother asked her to take a basket of organically grown fruit and mineral water to her grandmother's house.

"But mother, won't this be stealing work from the unionized people who have struggled for years to earn the right to carry all packages between various people in the woods?"

Red Riding Hood's mother assured her that she had called the union boss and gotten a special compassionate mission exemption form.

"But mother, aren't you oppressing me by ordering me to do this?"

Red Riding Hood's mother pointed out that it was impossible for womyn to oppress each other, since all womyn were equally oppressed until all womyn were free.

"But mother, then shouldn't you have my brother carry the basket, since he's an oppressor, and should learn what it's like to be oppressed?"

And Red Riding Hood's mother explained that her brother was attending a special rally for animal rights, and besides, this wasn't stereotypical womyn's work, but an empowering deed that would help engender a feeling of community.

"But won't I be oppressing Grandma, by implying that she's sick and hence unable to independently further her own selfhood?"

But Red Riding Hood's mother explained that her grandmother wasn't actually sick or incapacitated or mentally handicapped in any way, although that was not to imply that any of these conditions were inferior to what some people called "health."

Thus Red Riding Hood felt that she could get behind the idea of delivering the basket to her grandmother, and so she set off.

Many people believed that the forest was a foreboding and dangerous place, but Red Riding Hood knew that this was an irrational fear based on cultural paradigms instilled by a patriarchal society that regarded the natural world as an exploitable resource, and hence believed that natural predators were in fact intolerable competitors.

Other people avoided the woods for fear of thieves and deviants, but Red Riding Hood felt that in a truly classless society all marginalized peoples would be able to "come out" of the woods and be accepted as valid lifestyle role models.

On her way to Grandma's house, Red Riding Hood passed a woodchopper, and wandered off the path, in order to examine some flowers.

She was startled to find herself standing before a Wolf, who asked her what was in her basket.

Red Riding Hood's teacher had warned her never to talk to strangers, but she was confident in taking control of her own budding sexuality, and chose to dialogue with the Wolf.

She replied, "I am taking my Grandmother some healthful snacks in a gesture of solidarity."

The Wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Red Riding Hood said, "I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop an alternative and yet entirely valid worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I would prefer to be on my way."

Red Riding Hood returned to the main path, and proceeded towards her Grandmother's house.

But because his status outside society had freed him from slavish adherence to linear, Western-style thought, the Wolf knew of a quicker route to Grandma's house.

He burst into the house and ate Grandma, a course of action affirmative of his nature as a predator.

Then, unhampered by rigid, traditionalist gender role notions, he put on Grandma's nightclothes, crawled under the bedclothes, and awaited developments.

Red Riding Hood entered the cottage and said, "Grandma, I have brought you some cruelty free snacks to salute you in your role of wise and nurturing matriarch."

The Wolf said softly "Come closer, child, so that I might see you."

Red Riding Hood said, "Goddess! Grandma, what big eyes you have!"
"You forget that I am optically challenged."

"And Grandma, what an enormous, what a fine nose you have."

"Naturally, I could have had it fixed to help my acting career, but I didn't give in to such societal pressures, my child."

"And Grandma, what very big, sharp teeth you have!"

The Wolf could not take any more of these specist slurs, and, in a reaction appropriate for his accustomed milieu, he leaped out of bed, grabbed Little Red Riding Hood, and opened his jaws so wide that she could see her poor Grandmother cowering in his belly.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Red Riding Hood bravely shouted. "You must request my permission before proceeding to a new level of intimacy!"

The Wolf was so startled by this statement that he loosened his grasp on her. At the same time, the woodchopper burst into the cottage, brandishing an ax.

"Hands off!" cried the woodchopper.

"And what do you think you're doing?" cried Little Red Riding Hood. "If I let you help me now, I would be expressing a lack of confidence in my own abilities, which would lead to poor self esteem and lower achievement scores on college entrance exams."

"Last chance, sister! Get your hands off that endangered species! This is an FBI sting!" screamed the woodchopper, and when Little Red Riding Hood nonetheless made a sudden motion, he sliced off her head.

"Thank goodness you got here in time", said the Wolf. "The brat and her grandmother lured me in here. I thought I was a goner."

"No, I think I'm the real victim here", said the woodchopper. "I've been dealing with my anger ever since I saw her picking those protected flowers earlier. And now I'm going to have such a trauma. Do you have any aspirin?"

"Sure", said the Wolf.

"Thanks."

"I feel your pain", said the Wolf, and he patted the woodchopper on his firm, well padded back, gave a little belch, and said "Do you have any Maalox?"

http://www.ricka.com/funpages/pcridinghood.html
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »

I moved my last post. ::)

I didn't want to interrupt the flow of Ron's "Things you learn from the movies." :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 05:18:51 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2006, 06:10:35 PM »

I have not thought of a good joke to post today, but I have been laughing quite a lot at some of those that others posted!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2006, 06:30:54 PM »

David will be sending me his scene rewrite tonight, and we talked through the one musical number I was having probs with and I've ended up using part of a tune he'd written, and then part of what I'd written already, and that worked perfectly.  I just have to adjust about twelve lines of the lyric to fit the new meter, but that will be easy.

Ginny

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »

BK - The first week in October would be a good time for you do your NYC short story readings  ;)

Right, Jane?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 06:40:42 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2006, 07:03:36 PM »

Ginny, sounds good to me. :)

Thanks for the reminder.  I still need to get an appointment at the NIH so I can coordinate my trip.  I also want to be back in time to meet Tomovoz in Portland.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2006, 07:12:20 PM »

Sounds like you two ladies will have a lovely time...

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:57 PM »

Catching up on posts... I liked seeing Adam Pascal and Laura Bell Bundy on Cold Case last night, I guess that Tracie Thoms is a regular now?  Anyway, the show seemed poorly written.  I've watched it once before and liked it, I think the format is interesting, but last night was blech.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2006, 07:19:34 PM »

I also liked Desperate Housewives....SPOILERS

I totally forgot about the Applewhites and don't miss them at all.  And for crying out loud can Susan please develop a backbone and stand up to Edie... and her ex-husband for that matter, and everyone!  She's not going to successfully get back together with any of those guys if she doesn't stop being a dishrag... end of rant.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2006, 07:20:45 PM »

I taped both episodes of so notorious.  shoot me, but I like it.   POSSIBLE SPOILER

Especially all of the childhood flashbacks to scenes of mother irreversibly emotionally scarring her.  Loved it.

Jane

« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2006, 07:22:50 PM »

Ginny as for NY.  I think I will request (not sure if I can get it) an appointment in Bethesda early this year.  If I go there on Sept. 25th and 26th I can work my way to NY, stopping in Pennsylvania and maybe NJ, before arriving in NY.  I would leave on the 5th or 6th.

What are your tentative plans?  Are you just planning to stay the weekend after your conference or to go early?

Another option, I visit friends before my NIH appointment on Oct. 2nd and 3rd, followed by a trip to NY.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2006, 07:24:11 PM »

I think that's it for me tonight, I'm exhausted.  Today I attended a three hour all agency mandatory intern meeting- technically I should have gone into work at my internship program, but the meeting was at the main office in midtown and it would have taken me 90 minutes or so to get up to the bronx where my program is located.  Where I would have stayed for 2-3 hours until I spent an additional 90 minutes commuting back downtown to go to GMHC.  So instead I just came home, did chores, cooked, and made numerous work related phone calls.  Whoa, TMI...

Anyway, I'm super tired.  The time changed did me in.  TPunk is sleepy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 07:24:47 PM by TPunk »

Jane

« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2006, 07:24:28 PM »

Sounds like you two ladies will have a lovely time...

Aside from the NY gang it should be more than just the two of us.  Want to visit NY?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #261 on: April 03, 2006, 07:25:13 PM »

Good night all!

Jane

« Reply #262 on: April 03, 2006, 07:25:23 PM »

'night

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #263 on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:09 PM »

Aside from the NY gang it should be more than just the two of us.  Want to visit NY?

wish i could afford to...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #264 on: April 03, 2006, 07:29:32 PM »

Back from a surprise jog - a surprise given the fact that I managed to do just under a mile without stopping and at a steady clip.  It actually felt good, and, as sometimes happens when I jog, the entire opening scene of the new play came to me in a flash.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: April 03, 2006, 07:30:18 PM »

Catching up on posts... I liked seeing Adam Pascal and Laura Bell Bundy on Cold Case last night, I guess that Tracie Thoms is a regular now?  Anyway, the show seemed poorly written.  I've watched it once before and liked it, I think the format is interesting, but last night was blech.

I had it on it the background while I was cleaning up my desk - but the beginning looked intriguing, so I sat down and watched. It was SO badly written it was actually funny. I was yelling at the TV. Can't stand mysteries that are sloppy in their logic.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »

Back from a surprise jog - a surprise given the fact that I managed to do just under a mile without stopping and at a steady clip.  It actually felt good, and, as sometimes happens when I jog, the entire opening scene of the new play came to me in a flash.

It is fun when inspiration happens in the completely unrelated activities...

Cillaliz

« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2006, 07:54:02 PM »

Ginny, sounds good to me. :)

Thanks for the reminder.  I still need to get an appointment at the NIH so I can coordinate my trip.  I also want to be back in time to meet Tomovoz in Portland.

So it's the first week in October?  I'm going to mark it out on the calendar now!   I wouldn't miss another HHW New York get together.  Dakota, you should join us, as should everyone who can make it

Cillaliz

« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2006, 07:56:36 PM »

wish i could afford to...

Maybe if you keep an eye on airfares, sometimes there are reasonable sales, and you can occasionally get a decent rate on a room.  Don't rule it out yet, it may be doable, if not we'll miss you, but I still want to meet you when the weather gets a little better

Cillaliz

« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »

Tom Delay is pulling out of Congressional race....no joke.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up