Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: PROFOUND PROFUNDITY  (Read 43960 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:PROFOUND PROFUNDITY
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2004, 11:14:32 AM »

My favorite Mexican dishes are:
Guacamole with fresh homemade chips
Toquitos
Enchiladas, especially spinach enchiladas.
All of the above are best when made with blue corn tortillas.  I also prefer a green sauce.  Foolishly when I was young I didn’t know to ask for the recipe for the best green sauce ever.  That was at Rabozo’s on Pico Blvd. in L.A.  Andy, the owner, also made the best tacos and enchiladas.

I have recipes for guacamole dip (which must be made with California avocados, not Florida ones), cheese enchiladas and bean enchiladas.  Ask and I will post the recipe.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2004, 11:15:07 AM »

Loads of frustration.  Der Brucer called from Long Beach, mostly to vent.  All the work that he put into organizing moving everything, including getting his son-in-law out to the west coast to help out, went right up in smoke the moment son-in-law arrived because son-in-law doesn't take orders from anyone.  Needless to say, son-in-law didn't have the faintest idea how to get anything done right.

I'll be amazed if anything arrives intact when the moving truck gets here.  Things got stolen, things got misplaced, packed incorrectly.  Der Brucer is going to have to duct tape my mouth shut, or I'll have plenty to say when I next see his kin.  (And I can curse up a storm, when I want to!  Get me in NYC and about every fifth word is unprintable!  Get me near der Brucer's kin, and I want to cut that down to every third word!   :o)

The good news is, I guess, that this means der Brucer and I are still in love.  He called because he needed to vent.  And he knew I'd be there for him.  I listened because he needed me.  And it felt right, and better, I think on both ends of that phone line.

Add that to the definition of marriage.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2004, 11:16:20 AM »

I should be getting ready to leave for Bethesda tomorrow.  However, my trip has been postponed until the end of the month.  Instead I shall get ready to go see Return of the King this afternoon.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2004, 11:16:55 AM »

Jane, of course, will be happy to know that I've immortalized Rebozo's in Kritzer Time.  For those Los Angelezians, Rebozo's was located directly next to the Century City Playhouse on Pico.  It is now, I believe, a flower shop.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2004, 11:18:38 AM »

What else would you all like to see on Hollywood Blvd?

Jane

« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2004, 11:19:41 AM »

Oh those moves from hell.   ::)  I have been there.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2004, 11:21:06 AM »

Jane, of course, will be happy to know that I've immortalized Rebozo's in Kritzer Time.  For those Los Angelezians, Rebozo's was located directly next to the Century City Playhouse on Pico.  It is now, I believe, a flower shop.

Was it spelled with an e?  I should know I practically lived there.  Andy was wonderful to me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2004, 11:22:10 AM »

Here's the latest photo from Mars!!!

Jane

« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2004, 11:22:27 AM »

DRJane - my friend Flo started her car one winter morning and it made a VERY funny noise....she continued to drive into town and when she stopped at the service station, she asked the man to look under the hood.

He did and came back to her window and said:  "Hey, lady, did you used to have a cat?"

I knew what you were going to say.  Sadly it happens too often.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »

Definitely with an "e".  I fee a milestone coming on - perhaps even by noon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2004, 11:23:18 AM »

I have very dainty little paws, DR JRand 53, so it must've been the packaging.

I was certain that was the case.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2004, 11:26:57 AM »

Whatever you do to Hollywood Boulevard, don't Disneyfy it.  I agree with William Lurie.  Keep it eclectic and off-beat.  Maybe something like Pasadena's Old Town Section...where you have nice shops and still have antique places and some independent bookstores.

Have you been down around Vine and Sunset lately?  It's getting somewhat interesting.  You have Borders, Bed Bath and Beyond, the Arclight, and Ameoba, and the Cahuenga newstand all in a clump...Still needs more.  And, God knows, it could stretch all the way down to my favourite pub, The Cat and the Fiddle...but then maybe not, it might get discovered and become too trendy.  

I agree with BK, the Dolittle or The Huntington Hartford of whatever they're calling it these days is too good a house to be sitting dark.  Somebody should bring back the Brown Derby too.  And what happened to all the used bookstores that used to flourish on the Boulevard.  Less T-shirt shops and electronics stores, more bookstores, please!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 11:28:26 AM by Charles Pogue »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2004, 11:27:03 AM »

I was certain that was the case.  ;D

Yeah...they don't call her hammerhands for nothin'!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »

LOL DRMichael Shayne.

On Hollywood Boulevard....riddly riddly eye double dee on Hollywood Boulevard I would like to see:

ALLISON HAYES FIFTY FEET TALL!!!!!!!

Good vibes to derBrucer and SWW!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@[/move]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 11:29:35 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2004, 11:29:17 AM »

I used to go to The Cat and the Fiddle quite often.  Haven't been in about five years.

Yes, interesting bookstores, music stores, movie palaces - it could absolutely work.  Let's do it!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2004, 11:32:16 AM »

I like your ideas, Dear BK.  Certainly, Hollywood Boulevard has no business being turned into a bright and shiny shopping adventure.  Retain the good parts of its edginess, and eliminate the scary parts.  There are plenty of Bohemian enclaves around the world that might be used as a model.

I'm envisioning lots of pedestrians, lots of unique shops.  Lots of restaurants and cafes (with sidewalk seating), many of them offering live music in the evenings.  Entertainment, in the form of film, live theater and museums, should create the overall draw.

Some landscaping along the Boulevard would go a long a way.  Right now it is all hardscape and not very appealing.  

Since tax breaks for developers will no doubt be a necessity in this development plan, I'm thinking that there should be incentives for smaller businesses and entrepreneurs, too.  Bring back the Mom's and Pops and let there be interesting retail stores that can't be found elsewhere.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2004, 11:32:43 AM »

Whatever you do to Hollywood Boulevard, don't Disneyfy it.  I agree with William Lurie.  Keep it eclectic and off-beat.  Maybe something like Pasadena's Old Town Section...where you have nice shops and still antigue places and some independent bookstores.

The problems with eclectic and offbeat is that they can't usually afford the rent.

It's one thing if you own the building, but few are owners and that's why the original stores disappeared...that and the growing seediness driving away customers.

In San Francisco, North Beach is slowly losing its charms because the quaint Italian shops are being ousted by landlords seeking higher rents.  They don't care about neighborhood charm or whether North Beach loses its identity.  In some areas, buildings simply sit vacant because no one is willing to pay the rent being asked.  And the landlords gladly write it off at tax time.

I sure hope they can find a way to make things work down there because I'd love to visit and see the city celebrating hits heritage in style.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 03:37:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

And we simply must convince the Shumacher's to bring back C. C. Brown's.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2004, 11:34:46 AM »

Gee, I'm thinkin' we might just have a milestone before noon, like in the next few minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2004, 11:37:03 AM »

What, do I have to make this milestone happen all by myself?  Fine and dandy then.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2004, 11:37:34 AM »

Damn it, I want Taco Bell now.

My favorite Mexican dish is cheese enchiladas and tacos with refried beans.  I always order this at El Charro, my family's favorite TexMex place.  My dad always orders in Spanish, while the rest of the family sits there sheepishly, unable to say much beyond, "Gracias, Senor."

Ron--I am who I am.  I COULD be a fat Polish immigrant named Laszlo, but you will just have to believe me that I am a 21 year old Virginia gal who lives about an hour away from Swishy and Laura.  And we have YET to meet, which NEEDS to be remedied!

I want to play Cervantes/Don Quixote in a musical.  Or Guido.  In a classical play, give me Hamlet.

Not to get pedantic, but it was quite the fad for women in the 19th century to play the Melancholy Dane.  Bernhardt did among others.

Okay, my question for BK and DRs

What CHILD role in a play, movie or musical would you want to play?  Baby June for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2004, 11:38:27 AM »

The boy in 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.

I feel a milestone comin' on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2004, 11:39:15 AM »

Well, if no one beats me to it, I'll be HAPPY to take it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2004, 11:41:43 AM »

Hold your hats and hallelujah, we have just achieved 20,000 count them 20,000 posts which is, I should think, an accomplishment.  I feel a party is in order, don't you?  Yes, Virginia, I feel a party is in order, so let's all put on our colored tights and pantaloons, let's break out the cheese slices and ham chunks, let's dance the hora and the frug, because soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.  Or, as my close personal friend, Miss Kristin Chenoweth would sing, "Pop-You-Lahr".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2004, 11:47:48 AM »

Annette Funicello used to get 20,000 fan letters every month.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2004, 11:49:49 AM »

It's funny, ain't it.  We reach our milestone, have a party, and half of the perusers beat it.  That, as they say, is a corker.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2004, 11:52:43 AM »

Let the joyous news be spread
Twenty thousand posts -
We're way ahead!

They obviously had to go tell the King that the sky is falling....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »

I'm here, but I'm off to lunch to celebrate.  I think Taco Del Mar is in order...or that's where I'll place my order for a Super Veggie Burrito.  Congrats all on hitting 20,000+!  We most assuredly are the most Pop-You-Lahr site that ever was!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2004, 11:58:04 AM »

QUESTIONS, I'VE GOT QUESTIONS! (and everyone here has the answers)!

1.  Favorite HITCHCOCK HEROINE?  Why?
2.  Hammer HORROR or Universal HORROR?  Why?
3.  LUGOSI OR KARLOFF - who is the KING OF HORROR?
4.  CUSHING OR LEE? Who is the PRINCE OF HORROR?

1)  Kim Novak in Vertigo
2)  Hmmm, could I choose Castle HORROR instead?
3)  Karloff
4)  Lee, by a nose

Good vibes to Archie and Dan!

Congratulations to Laura II!
Welcome to any newcomers I have missed!
Have a great trip, Jose!

Finally, let me say thank you to all of you that sent me kind thoughts and wishes, yesterday, regarding my mother.  Time does not heal all wounds, but it certainly does soften the pain.  We all know, from an early age, in our heart of hearts that the time will come when we must say good bye to our parents.  I think we all, or most of us, try to picture their passing as a peaceful event surrounded by family and friends.  When the reality turns out to be something else entirely, it can become a mind-numbing event in your life.  Strangely enough, this Friday looms as the most painful anniversary, for me, since the first year.  Your good wishes were greatly appreciated,
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »

Yes!  Bring Back C.C. Brown's!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up